Debate and Discussion

Israel attacks Lebanon...
kyupol at 3:28PM, July 13, 2006
(offline)
I think Israel went too far.

Do you think its justified?

I just hope Iran and the US wont join in or else oil prices will skyrocket.
And I think I'll just ride my bike to work… its too far by bike… :(

shortened news article link
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
skoolmunkee at 12:43AM, July 14, 2006
(online)
Well, considering Lebanon attacked Israel first, I'd say they were justified.

I could really care less about the cost of oil though, compared to human lives. I don't think this war is about oil though. This seems more like a grudge.

That said I don't think Israel is a very nice country, which I don't think people in the US are supposed to think, Israel being a Jewish country and all. I get the strong impression they're pretty eager to fight.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
TRS at 5:40AM, July 14, 2006
(offline)
Israel has had issues with Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, Iran, Iraq, etc. ever since the state was created in what used to be the state of Palestine.

There was no immediate reason for Hezbollah to attack, other than to support Hamas in the Gaza strip, but Hezbollah attacked and killed 8 soldiers, and kidnapped 2 others, so attacks on the organisation by Israel would be logical and fair (as far as war could ever be fair). Even a small-scale invasion to retrieve the soldiers wouldn't be such a bad idea.

To destroy Lebanon's infrastructure (bridges, roads, powerstations, the int. airport), however, is outrageous. That way, the IDF is punishing not only Hezbollah, whose political wing holds about 23 seats in a parliament of 128 members, but the entire country, regardless of their political beliefs. The deliberate actions of a minority of extremists leads to the punishing of 3.5 million people.

And as far as I remember, collective punishment of civilians is a warcrime.

Punish Hezbollah? go ahead… blow them skyhigh. They're ‘the enemy’. But destruction of civilian targets, and the subsequent killing of innocent men, women and children, can never, ever be justified.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
SpANG at 6:59AM, July 14, 2006
(online)
My friend's brother is over there. Last his family heard from him, he woke up to explosions and had to go to a bomb shelter. No word since. Scary stuff.

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
ccs1989 at 9:37AM, July 14, 2006
(online)
This is why the world needs more diplomacy. None of this stuff would happen if people just tried negotiating and bringing things to the bargaining table for a longer period of time.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
AQua_ng at 11:18AM, July 14, 2006
(online)
The worst thing is that they attack certain places so nobody can go in or out.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Mazoo at 11:43AM, July 14, 2006
(offline)
The Middle East has always had problems, and although I'm not a pessimist, it probably always will.

Most of the problem is that people aren't willing to compromise for the best of all, because they all are harboring grudges against one another. Isn't this basically a war about religion that has gotten way out of hand.

I don't think any of this war is justified, because I don't believe in “Holy Wars.”

It's hard for the U.S., because although I think we should aid in stopping this war, we would be riddiculed for whatever we did. It would be seen as us “taking a side” and automatically make that the wrong choice. Even if we did nothing we would still be looked down upon for some overblown reason such as trying out isolationism again.

No matter what we do, we're screwed.

This whole war seems quite hopeless, doesn't it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
ccs1989 at 7:08PM, July 14, 2006
(online)
death_monk666
Exactly…But the US thinks they are above everyone else since we “won” every war we were in…not one loss(even Korea was a win since we left there with a victory and they atacked after we left…)*…But for Isreal to attack Lebanon is useless since Isreal is the site of formation of all monotheistic religions(Jerusalem is close to Isreal…)This is becoming a major problem world-wide! Soon WW3 will arrive and no one will survive…

*Actual thought by most americans…*

We lost Vietnam, don't forget that.

Also if we're smart we can avoid WWIII. The problem is North Korea at the moment. Although Kim Jong Il loves Western culture so much he probably wouldn't want to destory it all with nukes…just take it over.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Mimarin at 10:59AM, July 20, 2006
(offline)
Israel hasn't done anything to lebanon that the US hasn't done to Iraq, and they have considerably more direct justification, and Leading by example is the best way isnt it?
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
pastadiablo at 7:07AM, July 21, 2006
(offline)
I say we follow the Daily Show's approach.

We exhume Ronald Reagans body and make HIM president. Then all of the crazies out there will look at us and be all like “OH CRAP, THEY SO CRAZY THEY ELECT A DEAD PRESIDENT?!?!”
We'd be all like, “Oh your not afraid of death? Well look at US! We have a DEAD man as our president!”

If everyone listened to the Daily Show the world would be a better place. :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
marine at 9:40AM, July 21, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
Nuke ‘em both and let the same God sort ’em out.

Amen.

Also add N. Korea, Cuba, and Russia to that list. Those god damn commies need whats coming to them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Tundra at 6:34PM, July 22, 2006
(offline)
It's not as if Israel hasn't had a reason to do this… Hezbollah is in control of the south of Lebanon. Lebanon said they'd get rid of hezbollah, which is dedicated to destroying Israel. Lebanon didn't. Hezbollah attacks Israel, kidnapping soldiers to use as a ransom for a prisoner swap. Two israeli soldiers for hundreds of hezbollah militants. Israel was like ‘wtf Lebanon!! You broke our treaty! Fine, we’ll get rid of the bastards FOR you!!'
Unfortunately for people, Hezbollah, because it's actually taken over infrastructure, has done some good things for Lebanon, such as building better hospitals, so it has endeared them to some of the poor lebanese people.
So, ‘normal’ lebanese people and tourists and foreign nationals etc are trapped, and caught in the crossfire, because Israel is determined to attempt to get rid of hezbollah so that proper lebanon government (who are weak) can hopefully take over again in the south. And Hezbollah is firing back into Israel as well.

read this, i've found it very interesting.
http://israelibunker.blogspot.com/

It's a blog by a 17 year old Israeli.
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
ccs1989 at 3:31PM, July 24, 2006
(online)
death_monk666
I say we terrorize Bush out of office. Then we put Chaney* into office. Maybe he can get thanksgiving dinner with Saddam. Or, better yet, Bush.

*-I am not good at spelling the names of vice presidents.

His name is Cheney. You could have looked that up.

Also, death_monk's post makes no sense.

Mimarin at 3:58PM, July 24, 2006
(offline)
correction, death monk's posts make no sense.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
marine at 2:08PM, July 25, 2006
(offline)
mlai
Russia? :roll:

You're god damn right Russia. Before we had terrorists, we had communists. They were the reason for everything. Little kids who pissed the bed? It was all because of communists. Racoons get into your trash can? Thats a comunist. A horror movie director moves on to shoot big budget supde hero movies and fucks up major plot points? Thats terrorism.

No matter how hard I try to make it, communism just isn't as evil as terrorism. Sure, communists killed something like ten people, but terrorists? Terriorists killed Adam West.

Actually come to think of it, communists did fuck up a horror movie directors big budget super hero movie. Michael Keaton as batman indeed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
BigFishComic at 4:58PM, Aug. 17, 2006
(offline)
death_monk666
I say that if everyone got stoned, the world would be better. We would be too stoned to care about anything.

seriously.

Not that I think drugs are the answer but stoners are the most easy-going people in the world.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
ozoneocean at 5:25PM, Aug. 30, 2006
(online)
My opinion on this is that Israel is very, very naughty and bad… Two soldiers were kidnapped by a terrorist group NOT affiliated with the Lebanese government and so they bomb an entire country that's JUST getting on its feet again after decades of civil war and the recent withdrawal of Syrian troops, not to mention all the chaos that resulted from the recent assassination of a former prominent political figure. To have Israel slaughter so many civilians with bombing raids and artillery strikes as well as destroying billions of dollars worth of much needed infrastructure like electricity plants, airports, bridges and roads was nothing short of a war crime. Especially considering millions of refugees were tyring to flee on the very roads and bridges that were being hit: they had nowhere to run.

And it's even worse when you consider that the stupid kidnapping was in response to Israel's violent and brutal shelling of the occupied Palestinian territories.
But the worst was the international press reporting this as some sort of equal conflict. No, Israel was the aggressor and the bad-guy here.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
Kill frenzy at 8:22PM, Sept. 18, 2006
(offline)
yould think theyd learn after what my race did to them in world war 2
after millions of them where killed in world war 2
but they attack lebannon for the second time for such unjust and petty reasons and soon they will turn theyre gaze to mecca and they will think what if? and god will kill them
Hey shit happens!-and goat people cause it!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
SheaSummers at 3:33AM, Sept. 29, 2006
(offline)
Pastadiablo
If everyone listened to the Daily Show the world would be a better place. :P

I say that if everyone got stoned, the world would be better. We would be too stoned to care about anything.

.: death_monk666 :.

Can I nominate this guy for President 08?

Seriously though, Muslims do hate Al Qaeda and these terrorist organizations. I would know, I'm a Muslim! The problem with most muslims is that they like they shut up and stay quiet, trying to blend in, especially at times like this. When the terrorist organizations do something stupid/disgusting/repulsive, they get a LOT of media coverage and the other muslims don't want any part of it, so instead of trying to denounce them, they just stay quiet.

All the loud idiots are the ones that voice their opinions about how Osama is right and this and that and saying stuff that makes the religion look bad, and since they're the only ones talking, they become the representatives of the religion.

I mean, honestly… do you think Muslims look forward to 70 VIRGINS when they die? It's not virgins, it's a translation error. It's actually untainted fruits… sort of like fruits so tasty, it's just unimaginable. It's pretty much saying… you get to pick out stuff from God's garden. And Jihad… it's a Holy War, yes… but not the crap the terrorists do. This Holy War is the same as what the Bible and the Torah speak of, Flesh versus the Spirit. Just the struggle to stay pure at all times. And when these idiots scream out “infidels” towars Jews and Christians, they're morons. Infidel reffers to those that deny God all together. Monotheistic religions all believe in God and one believes in the predecessors', so they have no idea how moronic they sound screaming that.

But not many muslims go out of their way to correct others, most just don't like confrontation of any sort. I wouldn't have known either. The way I found out was when I was actually bad mouthing my own religion and a friend of mine explained why I was an asshat for saying all that and what stuff actually means.

I hate fanaticism… no matter what religion or idea.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:33PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved