Random Discussion

It's a Witch!!
Inkmonkey at 3:18PM, July 28, 2008
(offline)
Okay, so, my girlfriend was showing me “Grrlgamer.com” because she was ranting about how gaming stuff aimed at “girls” is just regular stuff colored pink (and with fanfiction), but I couldn't really keep up. But, that's another topic. Anyway, while we were there we saw an advertisement for Dragon Spell's Magick Rituals, run by none other than Amita Dragonspell.

Er, right. Anyway, I thought it was just your usual “magick” retailer; send her twenty bucks and she'll mail you a candle with some runes scraped into it. But on further investigation we found that she's not one of those witches who sits back and lets her customers have all the fun; she actually does the spells herself! And for a hefty price, I might add.

She doesn't describe how the spells are performed, or as far as I'm aware, provide any proof that she's actually done anything on her end. And just to make things extra fun, she'll also give the customer tasks to perform on their end during the spell-casting process. Tasks she doesn't actually describe in the spell layout on her site.

"This spell is the spell to use when all other spells have failed. I cannot tell you what school of magick this spell comes from or how it works. You will be called upon to perform several actions that have to do with the spell and this spell needs your focused belief more than any spell I cast. You must be so completely focused on your goal and your love that there is no room for doubt. You must believe in magick implictly for this spell to work. This will be your final love spell, in your heart you must know this. It will give you a definitive answer one way or another and you must be willing to accept whatever the result is. It can only be cast AFTER you have exhausted every possibility - either through me or through another spellcaster.

Your willingness to give yourself over to the power of this spell is paramount. You must ask no questions of me and must be willing to turn your attention from the spell once it is cast. You cannot deviate from my instructions. We will make this happen together but your trust is my ally and must be given freely."

That's $600 by the way, for her to perform an action she refuses to describe, of a nature she won't give, and that requires you to perform actions not laid out in the product description. Bonus points for laying all the blame on the paying customer if the spell kinda sorta doesn't do anything.

Maybe I'm just a skeptic. It didn't help to go her Altar Photos section and check out what she's got on display. Such as her “Holiday Tree”. This particular one is dragon themed, because putting dragon dolls on a Christmas tree is a nice way to get Christmas gifts every year without losing your Wicca street cred. Also of note is her Tablescape (known to non-witches as a “centerpiece” ) . I'll let D to the S describe this one… (emphasis mine)

"Here is the tablescape from Halloween (Samhain 2007). This was after the feast, so the candles have burned down quite a bit. The tablecloth is a Celtic sarong, black roses were used as party favors for the guests, the mummy candle-holders came from TJ Maxx,the candle mosiac lanterns from the Cracker Barrel gift shop, the pumpkin Jack O'Lanterns from Williams-Sonoma and the pumpkin tealight holders and 3 little witches candle-holderfrom the Yankee Candle Company. The witch snow globe, which you can barely see is from a local witch shop called Black Dragon Gifts."

Magickal feats are afoot, dear reader. Magickal feats indeed…

So, what're your thoughts? Is this a woman a real, honest-to-goodness witch? Is she a delusional woman who has no idea what's going on? Or, as is my guess, is she the greatest businesswoman on the planet? ‘Cuz I don’t know about you, but I wish I had gotten in the ground floor of the “make people do crazy things halfway across the country while I buy an Xbox with their $600” business. Hell, like Lady Dragonspell I'm also an ordained minister… (from the Universal Life Church, so that's not saying much)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Custard Trout at 5:52PM, July 28, 2008
(offline)
TJ Maxx, the place to go for all your arcane needs.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
Croi Dhubh at 8:08PM, July 28, 2008
(offline)
If it was TJ Maxx then you'd be paying 1/4 the price.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to, you know…do it yourself? Hell, you could get the candles at TJ Maxx…I think.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Inkmonkey at 9:02PM, July 28, 2008
(offline)
I don't think buying candle holders (even hokey mummy-shaped ones) is as bad as buying a “3 little witches candle-holder” from the Yankee Candle Company. In fact, I'd wager to say you've got a problem with you if you buy anything from the Yankee Candle Company that isn't a candle, and I'd even go so far as to say even buying candles there doesn't net you any points. Let alone the fact that she's got a whole section of the site devoted to showing off these sections of her house that more or less proves she's just throwing this all together.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Custard Trout at 9:20PM, July 28, 2008
(offline)

The suppliers of EVIIIIIIIL!
lothar at 12:53AM, July 29, 2008
(online)
waht the hell does Buddhahave to do with halloween , or any of this for that matter ?
and if she's so good at magicks , why doesn't she use her powers to make her website not suck ??
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
ozoneocean at 1:39AM, July 29, 2008
(online)
Well, you know, people have their little quirks.

It was funny here… They found out that the “woman” who founded the Wicca church here in my state back in the early 70's was actually a guy who'd had a sex-change. The charitable lovely ladies of that movement threw “her” out and had nothing else to do with her forth with! That happened about 5 years ago or something.

What wonderful people they are…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Custard Trout at 4:26AM, July 29, 2008
(offline)
I don't remember Wicca being a female only thing.
ozoneocean at 4:53AM, July 29, 2008
(online)
It's based around the idea of ancient mother goddesses… among a bazillion other things. But that's pretty signifigant.
This woman, being the founder in this area, held some very important position. I have no idea what. Grand high exalted she-dragon priestess of the first menstruation of Gia? :)

Whatever you think about it being women only or not, it's more attractive to women and they make up the bulk of the following, at least here, especially in the positions to make decisions. They felt this woman had falsely presented herself, wasn't entitled to her role, hat email, threats… etc

That's the way things go. -_-

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
bravo1102 at 8:05AM, July 29, 2008
(online)
Why does this thread remind me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

If she weighs the same as a duck, she's a witch.

Most of the witches in the USA aren't that good-looking especially the Salem ones. I did study and participate in some rituals in my younger, more credulous days. Wicca is entertaining to watch and dance around etc.

Seems like this lady is also wrapping herself up in the whole “black is cool/Goth” thing too. Oooo scary kids.

If she says nothing about the source of the spells she's probably just getting them out of a few inexpensive books from the New Age book section, maybe Wicca and Witchcraft for Dummies

Now if she can call up a demon, I'd be impressed. A little Anton LeVay Satanism anyone? Aleister Crowley? (I wonder if he's related to Conservative pundit Monica Crowley?)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved