Media Megaforum

ITT: Bands that change style almost every album...and still rock.
elektro at 10:29AM, Sept. 5, 2009
(online)
I recently got some more albums by Sigh, and was inspired to make this topic because of them. They went from an early black metal sound:

To a more “cinematic” horror movie soundtrack style (according to them, anyway):

To a mishmash of all sorts of influences:

To an Iron Maiden/Anime soundtrack-like style:

Back to a blackened thrash-like style:

Share some bands you think still rock despite changing style.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
ttyler at 10:58AM, Sept. 5, 2009
(online)
Thanks for introducing me to this band. Although I'm not into the black metal type vocals, these guys have a cool sound.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
elektro at 11:04AM, Sept. 5, 2009
(online)
It should be noted that they are coming out with a new album this December.
fern at 9:57PM, Sept. 5, 2009
(online)
Beck! He's not a band but he's great!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
ifelldownthestairs at 1:14PM, Sept. 7, 2009
(online)
fern
Beck! He's not a band but he's great!

Yes, yes he is.

Umm… the Flaming Lips come to mind.

And Porcupine Tree! They're great :D
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
elektro at 9:59PM, Sept. 7, 2009
(online)
I'd like to add another band: Kekal (it's a damn shame they just recently broke up)

They started out rather like an Indonesian Cradle of Filth ripoff (which is rather humble beginnings):

But, personally, I think they only became better and better as time went on, and started drifting further and further from the black metal sound:

And the best part is they are giving away some of their albums for free if you want to check out some more.
elektro at 8:31PM, Sept. 15, 2009
(online)
How in the world could I forget Voivod? With the same lineup, they went from this:

to this:

in just seven years.

There's also their more recent stuff with Jason Newstead:

And their much-maligned, but underrated period with a different singer:

Aurora Borealis at 10:16AM, Sept. 16, 2009
(online)
Can't have a thread like that without Laibach. :)

Very early “militaristic industrial” phase

From roughly the same phase

late 80s/early 90s fairly militaristic but much more polished sound (and a cover of Queen's One Vision)

mid-90s “techno” era

mid/late 90s “rock/metal” era

early 00's “stompy” music

Yeah, I think that covers most of it :D
Interesting thing about them is taht they never (or at least used to) never credit themselves OR any collaborators on the albums. It's always Laibach as a group, a collective, with only the vocalist serving as sort of a “spokeperson” for the entire project (as marked by the hat) while the music has changed, they were always toying with the idea of… let's call it “totalitarian art” and through it commenting on current worldwide politics, entertainment/pop music, religion and so on.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
elektro at 5:48PM, Sept. 16, 2009
(online)
Interesting band. I did some research, and they apparently did some remixes of Morbid Angel songs as well.

Air Raid Robertson at 9:21PM, Sept. 16, 2009
(online)
Frank Zappa comes to mind as a musician who changes styles quite frequently. He wrote a song about eskimo piss and he also wrote pieces performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. He did an album of 50's doo-wop styled vocals and he also did a series of big band jazz fusion records. He did entire records of guitar instrumentals and he also did material performed solely by programmed electronic instruments. And, I'm not even scratching the surface here. Zappa's diversity makes most other performers' “diversity” look like nothing.

Miles Davis also carries a lot of range. He did big band stuff in the nonet formation but he's best known for his bop material in quintets. He explored funk, flamenco, bossa nova, blues, hard rock, afrobeat, new wave, and countless other formats of music in his expansive back catalog. He cites Karlheinz Stockhausen as an influence but he also covered a Michael Jackson tune. Miles has a number of live albums as well as stuff done live-in-the-studio. However, he wasn't afraid of using the studio as an instrument either. Many of his albums are the result of his group jamming for twelve hours and then carefully mixing, chopping, and editing the material down to forty minutes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:53PM, Oct. 23, 2009
(offline)
System of a Down singer Serj Tankian did metal, then experimental metal with the band. Next he made his first solo album that has acoustic guitar and piano on most of the songs. Recently he is making an album with a full orchestra.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
DAJB at 2:59AM, Oct. 24, 2009
(online)
Blur is an obvious Brit band. Albarn famously labelled Oasis as “Quoasis” and it's not hard to see why. While the Gallaghers traded on their initial success by churning out very similar sounding albums every couple of years, Blur made a point of continually changing their sound dramatically.

The other obvious examples that spring to mind are not bands but, in the “willingness to change” stakes, I think you have to mention Bowie and even Madonna. Actually, you probably need to mention Kylie too, although I'm not sure she “rocks”. At least, not in the sense intended!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
ozoneocean at 9:21PM, Oct. 25, 2009
(online)
DAJB
Madonna.
She's a “go with the flow” singer. Like Kyle Minogue all she does is get with the current fad, or really; find what style to copy.
But you're right, she does change her style… As long as everybody else does first.

Whereas Bowie was more of a trendsetter, mostly. During his glam period he followed in Bolan's wake, but after that he really found his feet. He's an amazing style changer! ^_^

I completely agree on Blur. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved