Media Megaforum

Japanese vs. French...a story of Anime.
meemjar at 2:23PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
When I was a young lad of pre-teen years I lived in Winnipeg Manitoba and in Canada we have TV stations exclusive to French television.
During my early years I saw numerous cartoons on the French station as follows;

Albator (Captain Harlock)
Princess Sapphire (Princess Knight)
Minifee (Magical girl Sally)
Candy (Same name)
and many others…

These cartoons did not come to English TV and because the characters were Caucasian-like in there appearance (Blonde hair, blue eyes etc…) I thought they were European/French cartoons. Additionally because many of the episodes took place in European settings it enforced the mistaken assumption. Years later I learned that the Japanese were simply open-minded in where their characters adventured and they admitted that since ALL Asians tend to have the same hair and eye colour it made things easier to differenciate the characters if they were given a variety of hair colours (this was before they started to go with green and purple hair).

To add to the confusion I saw what I thought was the Eiffel tower in many backgrounds. Turns out it was TOKYO tower but the strong similarity worsened my confusion.

Eventually I learned better, but then in recent years THIS happened…
I saw three new shows on TV; Totally Spies, Marvin mysteries and Team Galaxy.

And they all looked like Anime (Spazzy hair, sparkly eyes, mouths on the sides of their faces etc.) and I thought they were new Anime.
Turnes out they were made by MARATHON prod. A FRENCH animation company!

Ah, when I thought they were French, they were Japanese…and when I thought they were Japanese, they were French.

What a world…:dizzy:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 2:56PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(offline)
Totally spies isn't new.

French art looks like anime you're saying?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
meemjar at 4:14PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
No no no…
I know ‘Totally spies’ is no longer a NEW show. But is a show made within the last decade.
I was saying that because of its look I thought it was Japanese.

Just like I thought Japanese anime was French when I was younger.
lefarce at 4:23PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
Just dropping by to say this is the best thread title I've seen on the forums, keep up the good work.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
same at 9:42PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
Martin Mystery sucked anyway. Totally Spies was crap that I blame for the retardation of modern teenage girls. “Like tots”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
skoolmunkee at 12:33AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
moved to Media
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
ozoneocean at 4:09AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
meemjar
What a world…:dizzy:
Just to confuse you more; Did you know that the Japanese and the French worked on a few really good anime projects together?

Yup. There were a few really great Joint French and Japanese animation projects I grew up watching.

And let us never forget Interstella 5555

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
isukun at 10:43AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
The Mysterious Cities of Gold is still one of my favorites. Just wish they would either redub the thing or offer a subtitled version. The horrible voice acting kind of detracts from an otherwise brilliant show.

The garbage Marathon pumps out never struck me as being actual anime. It looks more like a Western company trying to make anime complete with horrible mis/over-use of chibi characters. The style was typically Western anime knockoff and the writing was nothing like anything from Japan apart from the sketchy relationship between Martin Mystery and his sister (who are of course, not blood related).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
meemjar at 11:24AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
My guess is the French were the ones to take the best liking to Anime before ANY of the rest of us.

But part of the blame lay in the fact that American TV moguls would not take a show for syndication unless it had a minimum of 65 episodes.
Consequently shows like Albator(Harlock) which only went for 45 episodes was passed over.

That's one of the reasons Carl Macek of Harmony Gold spliced up shows like Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada into one long show called ROBOTECH because each original show only went for 36 episodes or less.

He tried it again with ‘Captain Harlock and the Queen of a thousand years.’ by taking two shows and making one. Which was a disaster I hear.
He should have just simply taken the second Harlock series (Albator 84 in French) and tacked it onto the previous series.
patrickdevine at 10:15PM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
Not to mention that the word “anime” is actually a French loan word.
(Hey, some jerk had to say it so it might as well be me!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
isukun at 3:52PM, Aug. 22, 2010
(online)
Not necessarily. Just because it is spelled the same was as “dessin animé” that doesn't mean that is the root of the term in Japanese. The fact that they also use the loan word “animeshon” from the English “animation” would suggest it is more likely just a contraction of how they pronounce the English word. Plus, in the early days of Japanese animation, their main competitors and inspiration came from the US, not France. They were copying our techniques, style, and methods. They didn't really have a strong relationship with French studios until the late 70's and early 80's. Anime has technically been around since the silent film era.
meemjar at 7:39PM, Aug. 22, 2010
(online)
Yes, the ‘Sparkle-eyed’ look that the Japanese are famous for was inspired by Walt Disney (Bambi) and Max Fleischer (Betty Boop), and not by an idealised image of Caucasians, tho' the Asians have admitted they find our blue eyes and blonde hair as exoticly beautiful to them as their heavy-lidded dark eyes and luxurient black hair is to us.:)
ozoneocean at 4:07AM, Aug. 23, 2010
(online)
isukun
The Mysterious Cities of Gold is still one of my favorites.
Ya. I loved that one ^^

The Mysterious Cities of Gold

This is another one I absolutely loved!

Ulysses 31

I swore this one was Franco-Japanese, but it turns out that it's not- it's actually purely French. O_o
Still, there were others.

Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea

mlai at 6:55PM, Aug. 23, 2010
(online)
@ Ulysses 31:

LMAO it's Space Jesus singing Revenge Of The Nerds!

@ Spartacus:

Wow, that title song was trippin'. The sun beneath the what?

Edit: LOL Ulysses 31's full theme is GREAT! I'm faving this.

Ulysses, Ulysse~es, soaring through all the galaxie~es
In search of Earth, flying in~to the night~~

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
isukun at 7:26AM, Aug. 28, 2010
(online)
I swore this one was Franco-Japanese, but it turns out that it's not- it's actually purely French. O_o
Still, there were others.

Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea

A lot of people make that assumption. I never really understood why, though. I've actually seen a number of sites the list is as a co-production but there is no hard evidence of it, especially since all of the animators, layout artists, and inbetweeners are French and there is absolutely no mention of any Japanese people or studios in the credits. The show doesn't even look like anime.

I still feel bad about what they're doing to the Mysterious Cities of Gold. After the horrible attempt to reboot Inspector Gadget (which was also a joint French/Japanese project), they're giving the Mysterious Cities of Gold the same treatment, only worse. An all CG movie digest of the TV series and then an all CG sequel TV series. Cutting TMS out of Inspector Gadget certainly didn't help the series and it's kind of sad to see animation from the 80's greatly outshining animation from the past decade.
ozoneocean at 8:20AM, Aug. 28, 2010
(online)
mlai
Edit: LOL Ulysses 31's full theme is GREAT! I'm faving this.

Ulysses, Ulysse~es, soaring through all the galaxie~es
In search of Earth, flying in~to the night~~
I know ^^

I made sure to download that song (you can find it if you look around) and make it part of my playlist ^_^

isukun
The show doesn't even look like anime.
I dunno man. I think it has an anime vibe…In some ways. Besides, it's obviously dubbed into English so it's easy to make the assumption- lip movements miss-timed = MUST be anime.
You don't even consider the French.

I'm really sorry to hear about cities of gold :(
I remember how shit the new Gadget was.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved