Media Megaforum

JAPANESE X-MEN?!
ccs1989 at 12:51PM, June 13, 2006
(online)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRyafAfMnXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPY2BfgRgRQ

So…basically they made a live action spiderman which sucked, but the Japanese also made a badass looking X-Men opening animation?! The animation is wonderful! People must have been dissapointed when they realized how crappy the actual american animation was.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
AQua_ng at 1:07PM, June 13, 2006
(online)
My inner child's nose bleed by the sheer awesomeness of this.

“Cry for the moon!”

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Lucky at 1:11PM, June 13, 2006
(online)
Those were actually pretty cool
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
Mimarin at 2:32PM, June 13, 2006
(offline)
We must construct a time machine and change the past!
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Ian Jay at 10:43AM, June 14, 2006
(offline)
Wow. That was surprisingly awesome. And the theme songs in these (especially the second one) were way better than the X-Men theme here in the U.S.

U.S. theme: Deedle deedle dee dee dee,
deedle deedle dee dee dee,
deedle deedle dee dee dee,
Dee dee deeee…

Japan theme: CRY FOR THE MOOOOOOOOOOON!!! (crazy drum solo)

I ‘ve never held the belief that all Japanese stuff is better than American stuff, but now… I dunno…

~IJ

PS: They also gave marginally more screen time to that guy who throws playing cards– Maverick, I think his name is– which I also thought was pretty cool. It’s a pretty specific mutant power, turning pieces of cardboard into flaming projectiles, and it's high time the dude got some credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Lucky at 10:54AM, June 14, 2006
(online)
yep, cheep and aerodynamic
Hawk at 11:06AM, June 14, 2006
(online)
So, that was their intro for translated versions of the American cartoon?

Japan makes some awsome high-quality intros and often follows them up with much lower-quality animation. I wouldn't even consider the American X-Men cartoon low-quality for its time.

While in Japan I did pick up a B&W manga version of X-men, and it was actually really fun to look at. In the realm of Eastern comics vs. Western comics, it sat comfortably in the middle. But I heard it didn't do very well in Japan.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
ozoneocean at 11:29AM, June 14, 2006
(online)
Hawk
I wouldn't even consider the American X-Men cartoon low-quality for its time.
I would. Everything about it was terrible. For any time. Not only were the stories shockingly stupid, the animation was revolting and the artwork made me sick it was so nasty. I’ve seen cheap American superhero animation from the 1960’s that was a millions times better looking.
It reminds me of those horrible, cheap piece-of-crap exploitation animes like Return of the Overfiend (artwork and animation, as well as the moronic story treatment). It's a travesty.

Those two Japanese intros were exciting. But that's all it has going for it. It's like dressing dogshit up with icing sugar and honey: it's still the same crap underneath.

I'm honestly sorry if I offend anyone by that. This show brings out a strong negative reaction from me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
ccs1989 at 12:47PM, June 14, 2006
(online)
Yeah, this opening was used for a Japanese translated version of the American X-Men show. Probably cause the people in Japan thought “If we use the American's crappy intro, no one will watch this.” So they created a new, more exciting one (with better animation).

Ozone's right though. I've seen the X-Men cartoon. Crap. They even used the original comic and colored some of the panel and then animated the mouth if they were doing a headshot. They were THAT lazy/cheap.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
spambot at 4:13PM, June 14, 2006
(offline)
I used to watch that cartoon all the time. But then TV Guide had their list of the top 10 most violent Saturday morning cartoons, and it was #1, so my mom wouldn’t let me watch it anymore. :P

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
marine at 12:47PM, June 15, 2006
(offline)
ccs1989
People must have been dissapointed when they realized how crappy the actual american animation was.

You fail at life, you know that? The X-Men cartoon was great looking, Anime is pitifiul.

Anime is nothing but static images with very little fucking movement. American Cartoons have actual character put into the shit, everything doesn't look the same like your god damn anime shit. You people make me sick.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Lucky at 1:34PM, June 15, 2006
(online)
Wow settle down. I'm not gonna get into some big debate on American vs Anime. I've seen good stuff come out of both sides, and both sides have their major flaws.

The only people who fail at life is those who only see the stereotype
Hawk at 8:03PM, June 16, 2006
(online)
I guess maybe my judgement is clouded by nostalgia, because I remember enjoying the cartoon, but I haven't seen it since it was on TV. I did go back and watch He-Man and realized how shoddy it was.

No matter how bad anyone thought the X-men series was, I'd wager money it's not nearly as cheap and shoddy–or funny–as The Mighty Thor was. Much of it was comprised of cut out comic book pictures moved in a South Park fashion. I just wish I could find clips for you on Youtube or something. It's so bad it's funny.
ozoneocean at 8:24PM, June 16, 2006
(online)
Nostalgia does that. I used to think Thundercats was BRILLIANT.
I know better now.

The Mighty Thor ROCKED! :supz:
…and all the other series they did that way, like Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk etc.

You know they were. They rocked.
ok?

They did. :evil:

ozoneocean at 9:59PM, June 16, 2006
(online)
Robotech would EAT your Air Bender for afternoon tea. With buttered scones. And maybe Jam and cream as well. Yummy. :tonqe:

ccs1989 at 7:41AM, June 17, 2006
(online)
Here's what Wikipedia says on all of the Marvel animated series:

“Owing to the short production time available before the new season, the animation was produced by xerography. The animation consisted of photocopied images taken directly from the comics in question and manipulated to minimize the need for animation as much as possible.

Animation fans condemned the production as shoddy and cut rate while others defended it by noting that the series used the original stories largely in their entirity.”

ozoneocean at 8:37AM, June 17, 2006
(online)
It had a cool, minimalist style. They worked well within severe limitations. It's like giving a couple of peas, a bottle of tomatoes sauce, and a carrot to someone and they manage to produce a damn tasty soup out of it. Not a full meal, but what they made anyway was pretty good.
I find that something to look up to, personally. I can only aspire to be that good with limited resources…

Whereas stuff like X-men, Return of the Overfiend etc, produced rubbish. Yes, they were limited by a lack of any skill, poor ability and probably low budgets, but unlike the Marvel series, they didn't manage to make the best out of what they had.

And that's my solemn word. :-)

Being Ozoneocean means defending your highly individual and slightly hypocritical views for as long as you can.

OI! CCS1989! I sent you a PM. Why don't you read it?

ozoneocean at 1:19PM, June 17, 2006
(online)
Old cartoons aren't bad because they're old. That's just plain crazy-talk! That means that only the latest stuff has a chance of being any good. Crazy.
This is you Mlai: :smt120
You get me?

Giant robo anime has its place. The Macros/Robotech stuff explained the need for it better than most. Except for the giant space battleship thing… Why the fuck do you need a transforming humanoid robot several kilometres high?

I'm talking about quality here, not stupid genre bias, or bias against age. I take those factors into account of course, but there are other more worthy considerations, like is the finished product worthy? especially when you take into account its fame, the production value, etc.

Return of the Overfiend (Urotsukodoji), is simply a good example of a horribly done piece of shit Anime production. Just to show no one is immune from shoddy products that somehow manage to gain some recognition. 8)

-edit- And yes, the “Air Bender” thing was just a cheap shot at you. I think it's actually really well made and probably a great bit of work. I just don't like it because it reminds me of anime when its not anime at all, and that freaks me out. Almost as much as this: :smt120
But not quite. ;)
Plus, a “bender” is current humorous slang for a homosexual man in some places, which makes the title funny. I'm just that purile.

Lucky at 1:52PM, June 17, 2006
(online)
When you guys talk about the marvel cartoons that just took panels from the comics, are you sure your thinking of the right version? The 1990s cartoon looked nothing like the comics did at the time with a more simplified style, they couldnt have done it.

The one we're talking about here, that would be the one that the japenese openings were created for. is from the 1990s

the one with the shotty prodcution values and the one that wikipedia entry talks about is from 1960 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Super_Heroes_%28TV_series%29
check it yourself

Heres the entry for the 1990s version

In 1992, the Fox Network launched an unrelated X-Men animated series with the roster of Beast, Cyclops, Gambit, Jean Grey, Jubilee, Professor X, Rogue, Storm and Wolverine with Bishop and Cable frequently guest starring. The two-part piloting episode, “Night of the Sentinels” set off what would become a five season series. It was an extraordinary success, becoming one of the most watched animated series in television history and helping widen the X-Men's popularity. The five seasons ended in 1997. It was put back in Fox's line up for several months after the first movie was released.
ozoneocean at 2:10PM, June 17, 2006
(online)
No, no, no! The conversation has opened up quite a bit Lucky. We all know what cartons we're talking about and the era they came from. I’m saying what they did with the 60’s cartoons was brilliant compared with the much later 90's work on x-men. Considering X-men had more money, a longer production time, better technology etc. (but still not that good).
And I’m speaking from the experience of having watched all that I’m talking about (I haven’t just read about it).

Lucky at 2:49PM, June 17, 2006
(online)
When you say “has Opend up”, do you mean “Has gotten off track”? :P Just kidding

I've watched them all too, they've shown re-runs of the 60s cartoons on some channels. I watched all of them (Including Spiderman and his Amazing Friends)

I really didnt find X-men of the 90's that impressive though most people did, I was a Spider-Man fan
ozoneocean at 9:42AM, June 18, 2006
(online)
I don't like “old school soap opera giant robot animes”, I like a few action animes that happen to use some cool mecha, but not because of it. I like a lot of different animes that may or may not use mecha… Surprisingly very few do.

Naruto kid? What? Whatever. All the movies in that series are stupidly bad. They sell because of violent sex and no other reason as far as I can fathom. Sex doesn’t worry me, but it that’s all there is… Well, it’s not much to recommend a movie (for me). The animation was terrible, the art was terrible, the stories were terrible, pretty much every single aspect was below par, even the original voice acting was shitty! The sex scenes were only as bad as they usually are in anime.

OF COURSE I’m illogical! I’m hypocritical and extremely subjective as well Mlai. Although I do try not to be, (sometimes). I have a lot of biases, and that’s why Air Bender didn’t appeal to me: because I’m a stuck-up, silly prick!

—–
Yep Lucky, we’ve wondered, but there’s only so much you can say about the intro of X-men… It’s good to know there are others out there now who’ve seen those cartoons! ^_^
Personally I think they’re a good adaptation of a comic, even if it’s a little weird by today’s “standards”.

Hawk at 10:55AM, June 18, 2006
(online)
I've never seen a giant robot anime I've liked. I keep trying to figure out why it is I don't like them. Maybe it has a little bit to do with how you just called it "old school soap opera" and it's the soap opera aspects that bug me. Regardless, watching slow, giant robots fight isn't nearly as fun as seeing humans fight.
marine at 4:04PM, June 18, 2006
(offline)
You need to see Dragon Pink, truely the greatest anime ever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
ccs1989 at 5:45PM, June 18, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad, if you're going to insult someone, at least do it with some class. Winston Churchill was great at that.

But I don't get why you're insulting her anyway, so…

ozoneocean at 6:12PM, June 18, 2006
(online)
Let's not join in eh CCS? If Tater and Mlai want to banter, just let them :)

I don't see anything redeeming at all with the Overfeind series. I've never seen Naruto (don't want to either), so I didn't get that. Now you mention Dragon ball Z though… It was certainly done better than X-men, but that was a nasty piece of work for sure! Especially coming as it did from the original Dragon Ball series which was wonderfully charming, creative, funny, delightfuly naughty, and just a really interesting little show.

Gundam is hardly the same thing as Macros/Robotech… Gundam is revoltingly stupid from start to finish. It just gets dumber and dumber… But then I only saw a single series of Gundam Wing so it's not right for me to judge.
Nadesco os a groovy anime with some giant robos. It's one of those great send-up spoof type series that makes fun of the “space battleship, giant mecha suit, defending the earth from aliens” type thing.

jalford at 2:54AM, June 22, 2006
(online)
Iceman shown pretty prodominately in those credits. Considering he was one of the 5 original members, he only got shown on 1 episode in the whole series.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved