Media Megaforum

Jesse Mcartney has been cast as....
Metalbender92 at 5:34PM, Jan. 26, 2009
(offline)
Zuko.
For The Last Airbender.
Kill me. Please.
A sketch comic filled with little comedic bundles!
The Meekler Files
Where every day is a hiatus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Skullbie at 9:40PM, Jan. 26, 2009
(online)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO—-

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Product Placement at 12:17AM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
Meh… Doesn't sound so bad. Zuko was a whiny little runt and this guy seems perfect for that.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
NickGuy at 12:40PM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
wait…whos jesse mccartney and whats an air bender?

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
json at 12:47PM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
NickGuy
wait…whos jesse mccartney and whats an air bender?

yeah….i'm pretty clueless here, as well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Metalbender92 at 1:09PM, Jan. 27, 2009
(offline)
The last airbender is a 3 part trilogy based off of the Nick series Avatar: The last airbender. The series has won many awards and was developed in america, despite anime influences.

Jesse mcartney is a pretty boy pop star.

I listened to an interview he gave, and he said the following: (paraphrased)

“It (training) really works my abs”

“The show was really big in Japan, so they played a couple seasons in America and it became a big hit”

“I get to fight different ninjas every day”

And he refers to zuko as the evil prince, and avatar as anime.

God I'm depressed.
The Meekler Files
NickGuy at 1:45PM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
Metalbender92
The last airbender is a 3 part trilogy based off of the Nick series Avatar: The last airbender. The series has won many awards and was developed in america, despite anime influences.

“The show was really big in Japan, so they played a couple seasons in America and it became a big hit”

God I'm depressed.

I still fail to see whats so upsetting about it. celebrities NEVER know anything about the source material. you really think christian bale is a comic book reader, or that he ever picked up a batman comic for “research”? if you do you are kidding yourself. he is handed a piece of paper that says “say this this and this and youll sound knowledgeable on batman”. same thing with the x-men, spiderman, superman, etc.

I dont know who mccartney is or this air bending stunt stuff, but his quotes are nothing worse than what ive heard other people say about bigger name properties.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
Hawk at 2:44PM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
Just remember, no matter how bad this upcoming movie sucks, it doesn't erase the thoroughly excellent cartoon you just saw. So don't worry too much.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Skullbie at 2:55PM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
Is azula in the first movie? I hope azula's there. Needs azula.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
json at 3:04PM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
Metalbender92

God I'm depressed.

now you understand why some of us old farts get upset about the G.I.Joe live action movie and the live action Transformers movies.

it is what it is. this is what hollywood does. look at the live action Dragonball movie. you just have to accept Hollywood for what it is, and hope that the live action movie ends up straight to DVD.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Metalbender92 at 5:10PM, Jan. 27, 2009
(offline)
json
it is what it is. this is what hollywood does. look at the live action Dragonball movie. you just have to accept Hollywood for what it is, and hope that the live action movie ends up straight to DVD.

That's the thing…this film series is going to be in theatres…. 3 times…for the next 10 years…

But yeah, hollywood is just in it for the buck.

Azula shouldn't be in the first movie…she only gets 3 seconds at the end of season 1, and she hasn't been cast at all.
The Meekler Files
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:17PM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)

json
Azula shouldn't be in the first movie…she only gets 3 seconds at the end of season 1, and she hasn't been cast at all.

Technically, she was also in the flashback about how Zuko got his scar. She was standing in the front of the crowd with a big, demented grin on her face during the Agni Kai part.

…What? Why are you looking at me like that?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Product Placement at 5:33PM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
I, myself
Meh… Doesn't sound so bad. Zuko was a whiny little runt and this guy seems perfect for that.

Wait, what was I thinking? If we want a whiny little runt to play Zuko then we should cast Chris O'Donnell. He's PERFECT! Just look at his credentials.

Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Senshuu at 1:46AM, Jan. 28, 2009
(offline)
Ohh, the things Hollywood is going to do to this series.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Koshou at 4:08PM, Jan. 28, 2009
(offline)
Dude, this is like… old news. Way old.

I love Avatar, but I'm still going to watch the movie just because it's sure to be hilariously terrible. lD
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Sea_Cow at 8:16PM, Jan. 28, 2009
(offline)
Quit your whining, cartoonfags.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
Senshuu at 11:14PM, Jan. 28, 2009
(offline)
The horrible, unspeakable, somewhat sexually provocative things.
lefarce at 6:56PM, Jan. 30, 2009
(online)
Could someone please explain the appeal of the cartoon to me, because it just looks and plays out like a really bad American Naruto knock-off.

I am seriously beside myself on this. I feel as if I am missing the big picture or have been left in the dark about SOMETHING because in no way am I able to comprehend why (WHY) anyone could find the show worth their time.

i dumb

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Skullbie at 8:34PM, Jan. 30, 2009
(online)
It can't possibly appeal to everyone, true of all shows, but i suppose if you need an answer;
To a cartoon fan avatar has an appeal for the fact that it has a plot and characterization, rather than the ‘new gag plot every day til’ the horse dies' thing cartoons usually have. It's quite a bit like anime but the characters are more understandable/relatable to a western crowd.

The characters are what makes it stand out,the plot is pretty linear(rly rly linear), but they all actually ‘grow’ and change throughout the series and their interactions.
andazulaisalwaysaplus

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
ozoneocean at 9:36PM, Jan. 30, 2009
(online)
Those poor anime style people would never be able to wear T-shirts with normal necks. …Can't pull them over their gigantic heads.

Everything must button up? ^_^

It's a good looking cartoon. Just a bit self consciously emulating the Japanese style, even to the Asian subject matter. That turns some people off. Like like Vanilla Ice- or a wigga.
———–
But it would be unfair no to give something a chance because of initial appearnces.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
mlai at 11:02PM, Jan. 31, 2009
(online)
This show is definitely written for Americans, not Asians. Ppl who can't look past the (quality) art aren't doing themselves any favors.

And it's neither “really bad” nor a “knockoff of Naruto.” It doesn't have fillers, ppl don't have giant flashbacks in the middle of a fight, there is no Jpnese humor, and the characters aren't annoying.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Hawk at 2:55PM, Feb. 1, 2009
(online)
Avatar's focus toward a western audience is why I like it so much. I used to really like anime. But when I finally got over the cool-looking art, I realized that a lot of anime has some real problems in the story and character departments. Plus, anime is usually built off of tropes and cliches that Japanese audiences refuse to abandon. Because of this we'll always have an angsty spiky-haired orphan for the main character, or some other overused stereotype.

Avatar took the nice style and attention to cinematics from anime and applied a more western perspective to the characters and story-telling. I really appreciate that. It helps that the story is good, the animation wasn't cheap, and the writers more-or-less stuck with the plan to retain Avatar's integrity.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Product Placement at 4:22PM, Feb. 1, 2009
(online)
The thing that I liked about Avatar… was that it ended.

No seriously, It's not meant as a negative comment. What I liked about the storyline is that the writers sat down and said: “We're gonna make a story that's starts like this, goes through this, and ends like this. With the material we have we can make this go through 3 seasons and that's when we'll end it.”

I love when networks agree to something like that instead of pushing and pushing for another season in order to milk out the money cow some more until the poor beast is dead and the audience hate them for it….cough…stargate.

Most stories only last so long before they get tired.

… real tired.

….really tired.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Skullbie at 11:40PM, Feb. 1, 2009
(online)
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999413.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562

That disney reject is no longer zuko, praise to new zuko

and muhamed as his prophet, in allah we trust.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Senshuu at 6:14AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
Hawk
Avatar took the nice style and attention to cinematics from anime and applied a more western perspective to the characters and story-telling. I really appreciate that. It helps that the story is good, the animation wasn't cheap, and the writers more-or-less stuck with the plan to retain Avatar's integrity.

This. The design, too. Everything's crafted and glorious.

And what Product Placement said about it ending. Avatar would have been shit if it got drawn out. In Japan there is too much anime, and there is too much anime that never ends.

ozoneocean
Those poor anime style people would never be able to wear T-shirts with normal necks. …Can't pull them over their gigantic heads.

Their heads are so much huger than, say, Bluth heads or something like that. :B

I really don't like Avatar's character design proportions, though; in design pictures it kind of stands out when they're just standing, because they're only about six heads. It really bugs me. I'm short, but I'm not six heads high.
Jonko at 10:16AM, March 3, 2009
(online)
I had no idea they were making a Hollywood version of this cartoon. Is there any animation that became remotely famous that they're NOT making a Hollywood version of anymore???
(And when I heard that Jesse was cast as Zuko all I could do was laugh).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Nergal at 4:46PM, March 3, 2009
(offline)
isn't M.Night directing this? I figured its screwed right from there.

Hmm I understand that this show has some appeal but every time I've seen a bit of it, it was about romance and a bit cheesy which would've bored the hell out of me when I was a kid. Is it popular with kids because I only know grown ups that watch it and force their children to. Two of these people have tried to convince me to watch it and I said it sounded a bit like Naruto (which they said was atrocious when they watched it). I stopped watching that show a loooooong time ago but I still read the comic from time to time and think it has a bit more appeal. Different strokes eh.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:11PM
Eddie Jensen at 9:34PM, March 3, 2009
(online)
Honestly I thought avatar was great and I loved it, but I couldnt give a rats shit about who plays what in the movie, because its a movie of a cartoon that was recently finished. There is no way no how that it is going to be good or even remotely interesting, also it will be made alot more child friendly, this movie was bound to reek anyhow so who gives a crap Zuko could be played by Toby Mqguire for all I care and I hate that guy.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
mlai at 9:47PM, March 3, 2009
(online)
@ Nergal:
You must've gone to the bathroom during all of those super kung fu sequences…
Last blood-bending fight sequence was just ace. Was that episode a Halloween special or something? Cuz it damn well could be.
Old granma kung fu masters… oh how I missed you… straight out of 80's kung fu flicks, where elderly ppl kicked ass.

@ new Zuko:
Uh… if you shaved his head into a mohawk ponytail, he can be cast as Sokka.
I mean, if you're gonna cast him as Prince Zuko, then all the walk-ons for the Fire Nation scenes had better be Indian actors (as in India).

Anime shows in Japan:
Most anime TV shows end in 13, 24-26, or 50 episodes. I can only think of a prominent few which last forever…

DBZ
Inuyasha
Bleach
Naruto

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved