Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

John K.: He knows better than you
Gregory at 7:52PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
If anyone follows the blog by John K., you'll know that he has been posting a lot of things recently that are pertinent to the comic world. You can find the blog here. John K. is the fella behind Ren n' Stimpy, The Ripping Friends, any Tenacious D animation you've ever seen, along with loads of other nonsense.

The latest post regarding composition.
October was color month. (With a positive reference to color in anime.)

His notes, though geared towards animation and ridiculously biased, are actually very, very interesting. If I was any kind of artist myself, I would certainly be paying closer attention. As it is, I've learned to appreciate classic cartoons a little bit more through reading this blog.

Enjoy! And hopefully you found it as pertinent/interesting/informative as I did.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
skoolmunkee at 11:01PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
Hm, I went to those links all excited but there's no explanation going on… he just posts a bunch of pictures as examples, assuming you know all about composition or color theory already and can say “wow what great examples!”

Instead they looked to me like a bunch of usual pictures. :( I like John K but a little explanation for each picture would have gone a long long way. What a great opportunity to tell a bunch of people about comp and color, lost.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Aeon at 6:43PM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
While some of his thoughts on color theory are explained in reference to the pictures, most of his blog is just an image dump.

I don't know. It's really painfully opinionated… which is every blogger's right, but he's kind of a jerk about it. Different folks like different color schemes… just because you're into earth tones donesn't mean you get to be a jerk about everything else.

He's more beating the reader over the head with his personal perferences than actually trying to teach anyone anything new.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
ozoneocean at 5:12AM, Nov. 22, 2006
(online)
I never liked Ren and Stimpy… I always thought it tried way TOO hard to be retro… In every sense. And what he added to reinvent and rejuvenate the retro styles never, ever worked for me.

Those later cartoons that he thinks are doing the “flat style” so badly, like Samurai Jack, Power Puff girls, Fairly odd parents etc. are just following the lead of Ren and Stimpy and improving on it (in terms of retro, not flat). They do way better with the idea than he did, but they have him to thank for their success because he paved the way.
He should be glad about what he brought back ^_^

I like his detailed analysis of the old cartoon styles that inspired the whole thing though.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved