Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Jungle areas in the USA
kyupol at 6:43PM, March 24, 2006
(online)
Are there any places in the USA that have jungles? Any sites you know that show which areas are desert, forest, mountainous, and any other natural features of the terrain?

Sorry, my geography is really bad… never been to the USA.

Just need to know little things like this to avoid script inconsistencies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
TheBladeRoden at 6:52PM, March 24, 2006
(offline)
Haven't seen any jungles yet
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Goblyn at 6:58PM, March 24, 2006
(offline)
I think we mostly have Forests
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
kyupol at 7:15PM, March 24, 2006
(online)
as long as theres lot of trees and possible for people to get lost.

No amusement parks, or parks of any kind.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Volte6 at 9:50PM, March 24, 2006
(online)
There's swamp… that's sorta like a jungle… sorta?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
coinilius at 10:40PM, March 24, 2006
(online)
Swamp would indeed be a good substitute for jungle in the US - very easy to get lost amongst that sort of setting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Puff at 11:05PM, March 24, 2006
(offline)
There's jungles down here in Florida. They've got ferns on the ground, palm trees towering up, and crazy poisonous little creatures scurrying hither and thither. Also, Washington State has coniferous forests that are technically ‘rain forests’ because they get so much constant rain, but they just have normal forest animals, maybe a mountain lion at best.

We have deserts in the western/central part where it's nothing but sand and sand and occasionally some plains land, and, if you're lucky, a lone tree. Mountainous places would also be the western part of the US (like the Continental Divide, the Rocky Mountains, and the Sierra Nevada ).

We travel a lot through the country, and we move to new homes about every 2 years, so I know a lot of geography.

So… what countries do you live in that you ask? You don't have to tell me if you don't want; I'm just curious. If I had to guess I'd guess Britain.

kYuPoL
as long as theres lot of trees and possible for people to get lost.

No amusement parks, or parks of any kind.
Not all of America is amusement parks. Just 95% of it. My school was built on an old amusement park, and right behind my house is one! Also, there's one every couple of blocks or so! And unicorns too. Just to keep us all happy. It's a magical land here…

((I'm not trying to make fun of you, so don't be offended or take it that way. It's just that the way you said that made me imagine people in another country imagining America being chock-a-block FULL of amusement parks, and I HAD to say it before someone else did. Because really there's not many amusement parks. And those ‘disassemble-reassemble-loseaboltandthecoasterbreaks’ carnivals do NOT count. They're too clean.))

PS- I always get Britain and England mixed up. England includes… that other country, and Britain is just the country with the big clock and the queen, not counting its Siamese twin part of the island? Or… are they one in the same?! Honoes! Usually I'm good with geography, but the UK kills me. And I LOVE the Uk too! ;__;
Insufficient funds, banner reposessed! >:0

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Cure
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
marine at 9:04AM, March 25, 2006
(offline)
You could try google maps.

Vegas is surrounded by dessert. Flordia has swamps. Colorodo has big mountains. LA has smog.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Ronson at 10:44AM, March 25, 2006
(online)
What about Hawaii? Rainforests, maybe?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
marine at 11:17AM, March 25, 2006
(offline)
Doubtful. I've seen Dog The Bounty Hunter. Hawaii isn't that nice as Elvis said it was. Fucking queer Elvis haunts us from his grave.
skoolmunkee at 11:48AM, March 25, 2006
(offline)
Puff: England is just England. The United Kingdom (not Great Britain) is made up of England, Scotland, Wales, and northern Ireland, which are seperate countries.

Kyupol: Closest to jungles and rainforsts is parts of Florida, as already mentioned. There was a military training camp there for soldiers headed to Vietnam, I believe, because the terrain and all was similar. Otherwise it's Hawaii (which is seperated by lots of ocean), or the deciduous rainforest in Washington- which is really just pine trees and stuff, and it's all hot and muggy, just cold and rainy all the time.

There are deserts but not the traditional “miles of sand hills forever” kind of African desert sense. There are only 4 deserts: Mojave, Sonoran, Chihuahuan, and Great Basin. Here is a handy map! http://www.geo.arizona.edu/Antevs/ecol438/namdesrt.gif You can use google's image search to find photos of those deserts. They all have plant life of some kind, like cacti or sagebrush. They are still unforgiving places but there is a lot more life than say, the Sahara.

Forests and mountains: Here's a handy map: http://www.healthyforests.gov/images/statesmap.gif The major mountain ranges are the Rocky (most of the huge mass on the left) and the Appalachian (the range on the right)… the Cascades are up in WA and OR and a bit of CA. Note that Nevada and that western bit of Utah aren't really mountainous - it's part of the Great Basin desert and so it just looks lumpy and arid. The forests are pretty much: A stripe down WA, OR, and the mountainous regious of CA; ID, MT, WY, CO; and the area around the Appalachian mountains (from ME down to AL). The rest is either mostly desert, or farmed plains. There are also some forests up by the Great Lakes, I think.

The most dense forest areas are going to be VT, NH, ME and WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, CO. CA has a famous redwood forest. I think WV, KY, TN is also more dense than most of the other states in that region. A lot of the east coast isn't forested anymore because of the population.

The Grand Canyon is in Arizona, and the Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Colorado, Snake/Colombia rivers are the most important. :) The great plains are between the rocky mountains and the Mississippi river.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
Anonymous at 11:58AM, March 25, 2006
(offline)
Americans mostly get english geography confused but im not brilliant with american geography. at my uni we have an exchange program with an american uni, and all the american student want to come to our uni because it's “close” to london, it is by american standards as its only 4 hours away but by english standards its huge especially with the english transport system
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
PoisonedV at 1:03PM, March 25, 2006
(offline)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
skoolmunkee at 4:07PM, March 25, 2006
(offline)
Nothing to do with the actual content of the picture, but PoisonedV, could you please start making contributive replies instead of just not-witty images for everything? :)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
marine at 5:46PM, March 25, 2006
(offline)
skoolmunkee
Nothing to do with the actual content of the picture, but PoisonedV, could you please start making contributive replies instead of just not-witty images for everything? :)

Good to see you've still got your sunny disposition too!
PoisonedV at 5:49PM, March 25, 2006
(offline)
WTF I swear that was a great image and it said monkey love, not a sprite sheet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
skoolmunkee at 6:01AM, March 26, 2006
(offline)
The point is that you're making people download images for no real reason, many of the people here still use modems. If you want to post images as replies to things, why not start a thread called “Let's have a conversation in image macros!” ?
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Terminal at 7:41AM, March 26, 2006
(online)
Jungle areas died out in the 90's. If your in the west coast all you will find are the city jungles of the soulless in Los Angeles. The jungles of the happy in San Fransisco, a bunch of small forests, big mountains, and a bunch of desert too. Oh, and a little sinful oasis in the middle of the desert.

The closet thing to a rain forest are in places like El Salvador and below Mexico. But that's not in the US, is it?

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
AdHocFerox at 11:08PM, March 27, 2006
(offline)
Wisconsin's a death trap with all the forest we've got.

maybe not a death trap but if you wanted to disapear, we've got the tree ridden wastelands
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
Ronson at 8:13AM, March 28, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
MisterSpook
I believe Kawaii (sp?) is the only place in the United States that has tropical rainforests. Of course, north on the west coast you have temperate rainforests but that's not the same thing.
… Kawaii? You mean Hawaii?

Because that is one hilarious misspelling to anyone who knows about Japanese culture. :P

I think MisterSpooke means “Kauai”, one of the Hawaiian Islands.

http://www.alascon.com/hawaiimap.gif
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon