Help, Support and Suggestions

Just What Do The Rankings Mean?
Tim Wellman at 10:19PM, Feb. 22, 2010
(online)
I noticed my comic is ranked 380 in comic books, 504 overall. But I only have 4 pages up so far… I know there are comics with hundreds of pages that don't have the rank mine does. How is it figured… is it just the total page views? My comic is adult, so do adult comics do that much better than the others? Or am I just amazingly talented? :-) Disregarding that last option, how exactly are the ranks… err… ranked?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
ozoneocean at 12:00AM, Feb. 23, 2010
(online)
There are less “adult” rated comics and obviously they're going to be a popular genre ;)

Go to this thread and follow thie links:
http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=52099&cid=229

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Tim Wellman at 12:40AM, March 7, 2010
(online)
This is sort of a follow-up so I didn't want to make a new thread.

Today, my rankings are #113 in Comic Book/Story, #146 Overall. But, I'm not in the top 10 Adult comics on the front page (I have it filtered to *just* show adult comics). So, how many adult rated comics are in the top 100? A lot? Do I have a long way to go to crack the top ten Adult?

If anyone has an adult comic ranked higher than mine, please chime in.
ozoneocean at 1:37AM, March 7, 2010
(online)
There's Potpourri of Lascivious Whimsy, Xolta, Bouncing Orbs of Beauty, Grind, X UP… To name some. :)

I dunno the rest but you could find out by going here:
http://www.drunkduck.com/search.php
…and then going through the list, clicking for the next page etc until you've seen all the comics marked “Adult”.

Tim Wellman at 11:48PM, March 7, 2010
(online)
Ah, thanks, don't know why I didn't think of that… just browse everything, and count the adult comics ahead of me :-) I'm number #16 in Adult (108 in all Comic Book, 143 overall). But, I have the feeling the top 100 is a lot tougher to rise through than the first 24,900 :-)
Tim Wellman at 10:04AM, March 12, 2010
(online)

Nevermind, the pageviews are counting again. Not sure what the problem was, but it seems to have been fixed. 4-5 hours with no hits registered, then the last 20 minutes, over 100… there's something not working properly.

“I said earlier”:
Somewhat related. I broke into the top 100 overall (top 10 adult) yesterday, then suddenly my page views slowed to almost a crawl. Less than half what I usually get when I do a page update. It would be hard to believe that 500 or so people just decided overnight not to read the story anymore, so there has to be something wrong with the counter.

Just seems unfair that I worked hard to get in the top 100, then something happens to the counter. I supposed it *is* possible that half of my readers just quit reading the story overnight… just like it *is* possible for pigs to fly (catapult, dropped from an airplane, etc).

But, being the untrusting person I am, it seems more likely I'm not ‘allowed’ to be in the top 100. It's a hell of a lot of work to keep updating if the system is ‘fixed’.
ozoneocean at 9:30PM, March 12, 2010
(online)
Tim Wellman
Nevermind, the pageviews are counting again. Not sure what the problem was, but it seems to have been fixed. 4-5 hours with no hits registered, then the last 20 minutes, over 100… there's something not working properly.
Yeah, probably a minor hiccup caused by some programming work. ;)

With all the thousands of comics on the site, we don't care about who gets what ranking. And even if we did we couldn't do anything clever and subtle about it like screw with hits.

But yeah, we absolutely don't. If we did then the unfiltered top ten would be a little different lol!

ag47 at 8:39AM, March 21, 2010
(offline)
Why is this so important to you? You've got a story you enjoy telling, a decent art style… I thought most of the bods on this site were doing it for fun or experimenting with new techniques etcetera.

I don't mean this as an attack, and please don't think I'm belittling you in any way. If you want to be in the top ten adult comics and you're enjoying yourself then that's good enough for me. It's just that it seems to be something that frustrates you as well and I don't understand why you would want to be annoyed like that.

Personally I'm here because I enjoy writing short stories and figured that having something of an audience might be an impetus for me to improve and also try to stick to a schedule. There're thousands of comics here that are better than mine and thousands that are more popular too, but it doesn't matter. If I am inspired by them, great. If I find some that I love reading, even better, but the only person I'm competing with is myself. I just want to improve as a writer and draw-ist.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
skoolmunkee at 1:42AM, March 23, 2010
(online)
I don't think the pageviews are counted constantly, probably to relieve database load. I think pageviews are only updated a few times a day. There will be periods during the day where the numbers don't seem to change.

Pageviews also aren't unique users, so 1 person reading 20 pages of your comic will be 20 pageviews. (Whereas it's the unique visitors which count towards ranking, calculated over a span of time.) So it's entirely possible to have fluctuating numbers, which can easily be inflated by one or two people reading through a whole comic archive.

You've only got 13 pages up man, I'd say you're doing pretty well. I don't think you have too much cause to start stressing about pageviews or rankings just yet. :] It's nice to see immediate success, and that potential is something which makes DD nice- but I think over time you'll start to see your own ‘averages’ emerging.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved