Media Megaforum

kanye west needs to shutup
mlai at 6:17AM, Sept. 16, 2007
(online)
I don't know what the origin of rap is, but Chinese folk music has it beat by about 1500 years.

Quyi, or specifically Chinese storytelling music, has existed since the Tong Dynasty.

Chinese dynastic movies feature quaiban in the background all the time, but now I can't find any good videos of it because stupid Youtube removed all of its samples due to ‘content violation’, wtf. As if China doesn't pirate enough **** from everyone else, its artists now get uppity just because I'm searching for some Chinese folk music samples for educational purposes.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
polo at 3:59PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
mlai
I don't know what the origin of rap is, but Chinese folk music has it beat by about 1500 years.

Quyi, or specifically Chinese storytelling music, has existed since the Tong Dynasty.

Chinese dynastic movies feature quaiban in the background all the time, but now I can't find any good videos of it because stupid Youtube removed all of its samples due to ‘content violation’, wtf. As if China doesn't pirate enough **** from everyone else, its artists now get uppity just because I'm searching for some Chinese folk music samples for educational purposes.

I'm a big fan of both Hip Hop and Kanye West not so much Fiddy! Rap came from the greatest of all time “James Brown” with a mixture of Ali. When rap first started they sampled more james brown then anyone else thats why the greatest is the most sampled artist of all time! It did not come from china even tough groups like the wu-tang clan from the early ninties was influenced by old kung-fu films and named themselves after it!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
polo at 4:07PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
alexhatzia
seriously this guy has been such a baby lately. his first little hissy fit that i can remember is raiding the stage on the european mtv awards because he didn't win video of the year for his shitty video for touch the sky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAN_OXblCEs
he's got such an ego now since the success of his 2 past albums.
his latest song “stronger” butchers daft punks classic “harder better faster stronger” by slowing it down, so no one can dance to it. even if he did get permission from daft punk, there's no doubt in my mind that they were interested in the royalties rather than west's music. which by the way also is completely unoriginal. can rappers please make a song without a freaking sample?
now i realize that the fued between 50 and west is completely for entertainment and isn't real. i was listening to kiss fm last night when a caller voiced her opinion saying that west's album is going to blow 50's out of the water. the dj explained that 50's album was supposed to be released in june but was held back. she later said that kanye is better because he doesn't need help from timberlake and timberland….but wait! apparently he needs everyone else's help so he can sample their freaking songs!!
recently West said that his only competition is Justin Timberlake. he expressed that his rivalry with Timberlake is equal to Michael Jackson's rivalry with Prince in the 80's. yea..you wish.
Kanye's latest complaint is that he didn't win any vma's and that he didn't open the vma's because it was his dream to open it with “stronger”. this guy needs to get a reality check.

Justin Timberlake is nowhere near the level of talent Micheal Jackson has. Usher yeah, but justin please…he's overated and not that talented like that she bang, she bang dude from american idol! HAHAHA talk about a “subculture”! Kanye must be smoking something to say that!
mlai at 5:06PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
@ Polo:

No, I'm talking about rap as an entire genre of music. At its simplest, rap is basically fast rhythmic speech + a prominent beat. That's quyi in China, which was developed 1500 years ago. The quyi form closest to rap that I know of is quaiban, which I think was developed in the Qing dynasty.

I'm not sure if other cultures have similar music forms like rap or quaiban.

alexhatzia at 5:13PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
Justin Timberlake is nowhere near the level of talent Micheal Jackson has. Usher yeah, but justin please…he's overated and not that talented like that she bang, she bang dude from american idol! HAHAHA talk about a “subculture”! Kanye must be smoking something to say that!

well…honestly neither of them have as much talent as michael

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
mlai at 6:07PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
Yeah Michael Jackson was practically a genius. Usher is just a good performer.

Just because Michael has psychological problems which has come to light, doesn't make him any less of a genius.

polo at 6:15PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
mlai
Yeah Michael Jackson was practically a genius. Usher is just a good performer.

Just because Michael has psychological problems which has come to light, doesn't make him any less of a genius.

He's awesome, but he is fool!
Terminal at 7:32PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
mlai

Shame how he's been reduced to nothing more than a punchline in the States.

…at least Japan thinks he's still an idol.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:12PM
polo at 8:28PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
Terminal
mlai

Shame how he's been reduced to nothing more than a punchline in the States.

…at least Japan thinks he's still an idol.

Many in america still see him as an idol like Justin, Usher and that kid Cris Brown and countless others but, they also know he's kinda off…well all the way off! He still remains the greatest entertainer of all time dead or alive, him and James Brown… in his prime!
Enef at 4:54AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
Graduation has 4 good songs.

That's it.

That's piss poor for an album but not unusual these days, rarely can i stand to sit through every song on an album.

Also, hating on Rap stopped being cool when all you hate on is the huge media bitches.

Listen to some real rap, Lupe Fiasco, Aesop Rock, Jurassic 5 etc etc, Not everything is guns, bitches and money, so stop pigeonholing shit.

The real funny thing is the people complaining about rap have barely legible posts, so it pretty much automatically discounts most of what they say.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Crazy Dutchman at 8:54AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
Enef
Listen to some real rap, Lupe Fiasco, Aesop Rock, Jurassic 5 etc etc
Word!

By the way: You can all call me an idiot, but I like the NEW Timberlake better than Jackson. Yeah, guess I just didn't grew up in the whole MJ-craze so I've never experienced that and his songs sound very dated. The new JT tough has got a totally awesome groove that sounds completely new for pop music. I think on this level of pop music it's only fair to be compared with Michael Jackson (but that's just my own opinion).
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
ZeroVX at 2:34PM, Sept. 23, 2007
(online)
I hate Kanye West. I always have hated Kanye West, and I always will hate Kanye West.

'Nuff said.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:59PM
polo at 8:01AM, Sept. 25, 2007
(offline)
Crazy Dutchman
Enef
Listen to some real rap, Lupe Fiasco, Aesop Rock, Jurassic 5 etc etc
Word!

By the way: You can all call me an idiot, but I like the NEW Timberlake better than Jackson. Yeah, guess I just didn't grew up in the whole MJ-craze so I've never experienced that and his songs sound very dated. The new JT tough has got a totally awesome groove that sounds completely new for pop music. I think on this level of pop music it's only fair to be compared with Michael Jackson (but that's just my own opinion).

I hear ya! I can't lie JT has a song out that sounds pretty good though! “If your love was all i had” I think thats the title! Other than that i can't help but to see him as boyband dude!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved