Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Knocking off the rust
CharleyHorse at 9:58AM, Dec. 8, 2008
(offline)
I've returned to cartooning after having laid off for a year. On the plus side I seem to have remembered all the DD tricks for starting and maintaining a new cartoon. Finest kind!

On the negative side, however, I had forgotten how to use my graphics package. Bummer! Okay, it took some doing, but I finally feel comfortable with The GIMP again – or as comfortable as I've ever felt. The problem is that I forgot some of the art techniques themselves that make the finished art look better.

For instance, although I remembered to scan in my line art large and then resize it much smaller in order to make the inking look better I forgot that one should also color it while the work is still large. What I did was scan it in in black and white in order to automatically clean it of any smudges. Then I converted it to RGB and then, instead of coloring it at that stage, I reduced it to finished art size and only then colored it. It didn't occur to me that by coloring the artwork after shrinking it I would create those annoying light lines between the ink lines and the color fills. Arrrrrgh!

Once I noticed the problem I began looking through tutorials while beginning to painstakingly go back and repaint the line areas using a tiny brush on maximum magnification. Double arrrrrrrgh!!

So here I was looking through tutorials, trying to learn how to fix this problem and then finally just hit on the notion of coloring the work BEFORE resizing it to its final dimensions. Problem solved! I've eliminated those light lines and made the entire work look more nearly professional – well, as professional as my stuff is ever likely to look.

I'll start putting up the improved stuff tomorrow. The funny thing, though, is that while I keep a directory filled with art notes, it never occurred to me last year – before I stopped cartooning – to make a note about coloring work before resizing it. I guess I figured it was so fundamentally obvious that even I couldn't forget something like that. So it goes, and here I am . . . chipping away at the cartooning rust one panel at a time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
JustNoPoint at 3:30PM, Dec. 10, 2008
(online)
Welcome back. I missed all of your great artistic advice. I was going to try and help you out in this topic but it appears that you figured everything out on your own.

Anyway… I can relate. I am currently not drawing/coloring so maybe later on I can make a topic about knocking off the rust =p

That antialias is always a burden.

For future reference that is what the white spots between the color and ink is called

anti alias :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
CharleyHorse at 5:08PM, Dec. 10, 2008
(offline)
There you have it Keith, the drawbacks of never having taken a formal course in using a graphics package. I keep forgetting important technical terms. 8D I also figured out today that If I also do the word balloons large then they also look much better after resizing them to the upload dimensions. So gradually I'm knocking off the rust . . . one mistake at a time.

It's good to be back. My new strip seems to be doing well in the stats, but I've noticed that few people are interested in leaving comments. That's almost exactly opposite of the experience I had the last time around. Back then I got relatively few readers but a good number of comments per page.

Oh, and as for the ‘great advice’ I hope that some of it was of some use to some of our forum regulars. I figure that it's in our best interests to spread around our knowledge and to encourage one another whenever possible.

Be well.
ozoneocean at 6:47PM, Dec. 10, 2008
(online)
I missed you in the forums.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
CharleyHorse at 6:34AM, Dec. 11, 2008
(offline)
Thanks ozoneocean. As I stated, it feels good to be back. I've missed all my fellow forum posters as well!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved