Media Megaforum

Korean Live-Action Films
kaminari at 12:05AM, Feb. 7, 2007
(online)
I made a Japanese movie thread, so here's one for us to discuss Korean films!

Tonight I watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance by Chan Wook Park.
Now, I saw Oldboy about a month ago after seeing the name mentioned a few times. Im a big Takashi Miike fan, so Oldboy sounded like it was right up my ally and boy was it ever!
I think I liked Mr. Vengeance, the first of his revenge trilogy, just as much if not a bit better. It seemed more realistic and less crazy. I read some reviews and a lot of people hated it citing it was slow and confusing. I didnt feel that way at all about it. Everything seemed to fall into place to me.
The reviewers also said that they couldn't feel sympathy for anyone in the movie, I really didnt want him to kill Ryu.

Pfffttt to those reviewers…

Lady Vengeance is in my rental queue and Im looking forward to it!

Also, Several years ago, I saw a Korean movie about two guys who were friends in high school. One was a nerd and the other a tough guy. When they are grown up, they reunite and both start to woo the same woman. The nerd was now leader of a crime syndicate or something and the tough guy was an average joe.
Does anyone know what this movie is?
I'd like to see it again, but I don't remember the name.

I wanna say it had a musical number in it, lol.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
kaminari at 1:54PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
Ive seen quite a few new K-films in the past few weeks.
Really, some great movies are being churned out of South Korea.

I finally saw Lady Vengeance (I think its real name is literally something like “Kind hearted Miss Geum-Ja”.. I was a little disappointed. It was still good, but I could have done without the parts with her daughter. It would have been better if she had found out he had done the same to her daughter that he did with the other kids.
He had ransomed the other kids AFTER they were killed.. so he lied about returning them safely….

Joint Security Area wasnt too terribly bad.. kinda boring..
Its a drama about a shootout in the Joint Security area which is a heavily militarized buffer zone along the border between North and South Korea. The investigation reveals that a S. Korean soldier had befriended a pair of N. Korean soldiers and had been sneaking into their guard shack at night.
People said the ending was heartbreaking. I didnt flinch one bit at it and expected something more jaw dropping and less predictable. I also didnt like the girl from Switzerland. She was supposed to be a Korean raised in Switzerland and didnt learn Korean until later in life. And for some reason she and the other neutral nations officers speak English to each other with poor accents. Her was very obviously Korean accent English. I dunno how better to describe that -.-;

Memories of Murder is pretty darn good. Its based on S. Korea's first serial killer in a rural town. The investigation is headed by a bungling crotchety detective and his violent bad-cop partner. As they railroad a retarded boy into a confession, a hot-shot cop from Seoul comes to help out. The detectives are annoyed by his cool demeanor and well thought out observations, but as they get closer to a legitimate suspect, the big-city detective starts to break down. The ending leaves a bit to be desired, but it cant be helped since its based on a true story that never concluded.

Attack the Gas Station was okay.. Not the best, but fun. It kinda reminded me more of a Japanese movie. Some guys randomly rob a gas station regularly and then take it hostage when the jerk-face owner refuses to give up any more cash. As time progresses they struggle to help customers not knowing how to do anything and end up with a lot more hostages and a big group fight. They didn't really explain their motivation though.

Oh and the movie I was trying to remember the name of in the first post is Kick the Moon.
I'd love to see this movie again if anyone knows where I might be able to.

Right now Im watching Yesterday. a sci-fi thriller type movie. Its unfortunately in English which is highly annoying, especially all their radio transmission chatter. Im not sure if thats in the original, but its so damn annoying… I cant help but wonder if a lot of these lines are only added in the dub (they do that with anime a lot… add random stupid lines where originally no one is speaking..)
So whats going on in this movie?
I dunno really… serial killings… government conspiracy… clones… lots of gunfire… Arrogant cop lost his kid and gets stuck with an annoying pushy woman who wants to join the case but isnt a cop, just the daughter of the guy who was involved, blah blah.. oh and I suppose she's apparently a profiler..
Its obviously big budget, but a major yawn fest..
Im so enthralled in it that Im writing this post at the same time.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
Mystic Hand at 11:23AM, April 28, 2007
(online)
Romantic comedy
My Sassy Girl (Yeopgijeogin geunyeo)
I'm not really into romantic comedies, but I love this. Gianna Jun, who plays “The Girl” is awesome and is slated to play Saya in the upcoming Blood: The Last Vampire live-action movie. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I'd still like to see more of her.

Comedy
The Fox Family (Gumiho gajok) is a cute black comedy about shape-changing fox spirits trying to become human by eating people's livers.

Dasepo Naughty Girls (Dasepo sonyo) had some good moments. It's a high-school sex comedy, but without the sex, so it's pretty tame despite the title. It's based on a Web comic. The jokes are mostly predictable, but there's a certain charm to it nonetheless.

Ghost Stories
I like all the Whispering Corridors (Yeogo goedam) movies except for Wishing Stairs (which still had a good premise, just an awful execution).

A Tale of Two Sisters (Janghwa, Hongryeon)
Everyone already knows about this one.

Action
Duelist (Hyeongsa) is an artistic martial arts extravaganza with achingly beautiful cinematography and a so-so story.

—————————————
And finally an anti-recommendation. Except for some good creature cg at the beginning, the heavily-hyped The Host fails dismally on every level.
—————————————
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Eunice P at 5:43PM, April 28, 2007
(online)
I hardly have time to watch movies but I'll list a few I've watched.

My Sassy girl is good. I like the comedy in it. I've watched a few horror ones but it turns out to be horrendously boring. I heard The Phone is one really good horror movie, but I haven't watched it.

Recent one I watched was Vampire Cop Ricky, a funny comedy about a cop who can turn into a vampire when he gets hard-on.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Tamerlane at 7:26PM, April 28, 2007
(online)
Tale of two sisters is probably my favorite

I generally enjoy Korean horror movies much more than Japanese
and I've decided that Korean children are the best damn actors on the planet

Lady Vengeance was also pretty good but it had one scene that disturbed me so much like the rest of that guy's movies
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Phantom Penguin at 9:03AM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
OldBoy and Tai-Gu-Ki are my favorites. I lived in Korea for a year so I saw tons of ‘em.
Lady Vengance wasn’t bad also..
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved