Media Megaforum

Lady in the Water
SarahN at 8:01PM, July 2, 2006
(online)
I'm rather looking forward to seeing this…I've always enjoyed M. Night Shyamalan's movies.
I even personally liked The Village…

Eh heh, edit: Though once again they're advertising it badly. It's not a pure horror story (if there's ANY), I can already tell that. Just because it's the creator of The Sixth Sense does not freaking mean they have to advertise it like that! :x
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Hawk at 8:04PM, July 2, 2006
(online)
I did too, mainly because I didn't let assumptions and expectation dictate whether or not I would enjoy the movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Terminal at 8:11PM, July 2, 2006
(online)
…and I thought I was the only one that like The Village

I like M Night's movies, so I'm looking foward to this (I wonder at what part is Night gonna make a cameo in the movie).

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
isukun at 9:05PM, July 2, 2006
(online)
I used to like M. Night's movies. Each one seems to get progressively worse, though. It's the same idea, over and over again, just applied to different genres. I think he has some decent talent as a writer and a director, but I think he needs to refocus his attention on making good films and not sticking with the “it's a twist” theme in every movie. I really want this movie to be good, more because I respect Paul Giamatti as an actor, though, than anything else.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Hawk at 1:50AM, July 3, 2006
(online)
isukun
I used to like M. Night's movies. Each one seems to get progressively worse, though. It's the same idea, over and over again, just applied to different genres.

Even having enjoyed each movie, I can't argue with that. They're getting progressively less clever and surprising. He's typecasted his own movies and now is being harmed by viewers' expecations. They go to the theater and expect something thrilling with a great twist just like Sixth Sense.

It doesn't help that they keep improperly advertising his movies. They keep setting moviegoers up to expect another Sixth Sense, even if that's not the aim of the film (just like SarahN said).

Shyamalan needs to just make a really different kind of movie and LET PEOPLE KNOW THAT. And he needs to stop prematurely regarding himself as the next Hitchcock. You're not there yet, M. Night.

Still, I find his movies entertaining and I'm sure I'll eventually see this new one. I hope he's reversed the trend and it will be better.
isukun at 6:19AM, July 3, 2006
(online)
It doesn't help that they keep improperly advertising his movies.

I never really paid much heed to the ads before, but I did notice with the new film that I have seen two trailers and they both seem to push completely different themes for the film. One sets up the film as a modern day fairy tale and the other almost makes it look like a horror movie.

ccs1989 at 2:19PM, July 3, 2006
(online)
Trailers made it look horrible. Plus I hate horror movies anyway.

WHY do none of these directors have any, I don't know, skill at directing subtle suspense movies? They should really learn something from Hitchcock. If you're going to do something about the unknown, don't kill it with shock value.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
SarahN at 5:34PM, July 3, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
Trailers made it look horrible. Plus I hate horror movies anyway.

WHY do none of these directors have any, I don't know, skill at directing subtle suspense movies? They should really learn something from Hitchcock. If you're going to do something about the unknown, don't kill it with shock value.

I agree with you, but once again you shouldn't expect a horror movie if you ever happen to see this. Supposedly it's based off a story M. Night tells his kids….and unless he's trying to scar them for life….>.>. It looks and sounds like it's going to be more fantasy than anything.

Hehe, “Shamalamadingdong”.

I'd kill for any good horror movie. I want scary! Or freaky. Even creepy is rare nowadays. Even a nice psychological horror. It's like everyone's de-sensitised, yet are afraid to go too far.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Barguest at 8:31PM, July 3, 2006
(offline)
M. Night Shayamalan doomed himself in my eyes after I saw Signs.

I mean, really, who would be dumb enough to write a film where the aliens are invading earth, a planet 71% covered with water, when water is their only weakness?

But seriously, I don't really enjoy his films. I may see Lady in the Lake just for the hell of it, but it's nothing that I'm really rabid about seeing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
marine at 1:26AM, July 4, 2006
(offline)
You can't be a fan of comic books and not love Unbreakable. Its a near perfect comic book movie that doesn't have 5000 characters or 80 years of retcons and bad plot lines lingering over it. Its a simple self contained story that works great. It contains Bruce Willis, the ultimate action hero, and Samual L Jackson, greatest unintetionally comedic actor ever.

I'll see it, but I'd rather see Clerks 2.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
ccs1989 at 7:56AM, July 4, 2006
(online)
Barguest

I mean, really, who would be dumb enough to write a film where the aliens are invading earth, a planet 71% covered with water, when water is their only weakness?

They'd die in high humidity.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
jalford at 1:40PM, July 4, 2006
(online)
Whatta twist!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Ian Jay at 8:38PM, July 4, 2006
(offline)
ccs1989
Barguest

They'd die in high humidity.

I know! I'm surprised the aliens got as far as they did in Signs. Honestly, how good can a sci-fi movie be if the malicious aliens can be taken out by a Cub Scout troop armed with Super Soakers? Laaaaaame.

~IJ

PS: NOW THAT'S A TWIST!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Inkmonkey at 2:57PM, July 5, 2006
(online)
Personally, I think you could justify the Signs aliens just by saying that they're running out of options. I believe the movie postulated at one point that the aliens were only attacking Earth because they had run out of resources on their planet. So if all your resources were depleted and your species was going to die if you didn't pull some out of some sulphiric acid, don't you think you'd find a way to try and grab it while you can?

Anyway, the thing about Signs is that it wasn't a movie about aliens. It was a movie about Faith. The aliens in the movie could have just as easily been Nazis or Dinosaurs or Vampires and it would have been the same movie. Night just chose aliens so people would say, “wow, that's an interesting take on the alien genre”.

I think the “big twist” throws people off too much. Like, I quite enjoyed The Village for the little twists near the end, and the big twist (about it being set in modern times) wasn't a big deal to me. The real twists were the reveal that the Creatures weren't real, then another twist later when the idea that they were actually real and just didn't interact with the people of the village, then the reverse twist when you realized it was Special Ed all along. Now, all of those were predictable, to a degree, but I think it all made the story much more interesting, and if all you cared about was that you figured it'd be set in modern times from the start, then you're missing out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Hawk at 4:32PM, July 5, 2006
(online)
Not too bad of a justification, actually.

Personally, I think it all starts to make more sense when you consider humanity's greatest weakness: lack of air. Why in the world do humans keep going to places like outer space and under the sea…. two places so abundant with lack of air?

To me, the question isn't why those aliens came to earth, but rather, why they came without proper equipment or suits. They made a spaceship, afterall.

But in the end, justifying why aliens came to earth in an alien attack movie doesn't matter a whole lot. I went to see Signs for the cheap thrills and that's exactly what I got.
jalford at 3:08AM, July 15, 2006
(online)
The twist will be…IT WAS REALLY A MOVIE!!!!!

Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-duuuuuuun
Inkmonkey at 7:31AM, July 15, 2006
(online)
You have just blown. my. MIND
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Hawk at 10:34AM, July 15, 2006
(online)
Maybe the twist will be that it's good.

Even though I've at least enjoyed each one of his movies, I'm pretty sure I'll wait to see this one. Because even if I enjoyed them, they ARE getting progressively worse.
AQua_ng at 12:28PM, July 15, 2006
(online)
A happy-go-lucky horror movie. Duh

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Ian Jay at 12:47PM, July 15, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
OK, I've seen 2 different commercials for this so far. One makes it look like a happy-go-lucky fairy tale, the other makes it look like a horror movie.

Which is it?

Two different commercials? The only commercials for LitW I've seen are exactly the same as pretty much every recent horror movie trailer out there today, consisting of:

~A zoom-in of some dark and creepy-looking setting at the start of the trailer.
~Really deep bass throbs.
~A lot of millisecond-long jump cuts of possibly scary scenes accompanied by a sort of “whoosh” sound. At least one scene must be a girl screaming.
~A frightened-sounding little girl singing a fragment of a popular nursery rhyme. (See, it's ironic, because while the movie is scary, the rhyme is supposed to be all not scary! Ha ha! That's witty.)
~A really, really stupid tagline to be flashed one word at a time on a black background, followed by the title of the film and all that tiny type that tells who directed, produced, acted in, worked on, and catered for the movie.
~Some sort of tie-in with a cereal company or something tacked onto the end. (I haven't seen this on LitW commercials yet, but just you wait…)

Of course, I doubt the commercials actually represent the movie very well, but sometimes that's a good thing. A while back I saw the one-minute trailer for Double Jeopardy, and, once it was over, I realized that I knew enough about the plot to skip seeing the movie itself.

~IJ
isukun at 5:45PM, July 15, 2006
(online)
Two different commercials? The only commercials for LitW I've seen are exactly the same as pretty much every recent horror movie trailer out there today, consisting of…

There is a trailer that doesn't follow the horror movie standard. It really does make the film look like a fairy tale movie. I saw it just a little while back, can't remember where, though. Nothing in the trailer really gives you the impression that the movie is a horror film, though.

Ian Jay at 7:13PM, July 15, 2006
(offline)
isukun
Two different commercials? The only commercials for LitW I've seen are exactly the same as pretty much every recent horror movie trailer out there today, consisting of…

There is a trailer that doesn't follow the horror movie standard…

Commercials, commercials, my friend. As in “ads you see on the television box”. I don't think I saw the theater trailer for it. In all truth, I don't really get out to the movies much.

~IJ
isukun at 7:21PM, July 15, 2006
(online)
I didn't see it in the theater.

ccs1989 at 7:46PM, July 15, 2006
(online)
Well, the problem with mister M. Night is he only ever has one big twist in his movie. If he wants to be known for having twists, he has to be like Hitchcock, and have twists at every turn. But with M, it's just like you're sitting through an entire movie just to get to the end and go “Ah…what a twist.”

Hawk at 12:25AM, July 16, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
Well, the problem with mister M. Night is he only ever has one big twist in his movie. If he wants to be known for having twists, he has to be like Hitchcock, and have twists at every turn. But with M, it's just like you're sitting through an entire movie just to get to the end and go “Ah…what a twist.”

It seems like The Village had about three different twists in it… that is, if you saw none of them coming.
Hguyver at 9:56PM, July 29, 2006
(online)
I was really disapointed by the fact that there wasn't any REAL monsters in the village, but the big twist in the end made up for that.

I liked Lady in the water. I liked the overall story, characters and everything.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
jalford at 10:00PM, July 29, 2006
(online)
To think people skipped going to see Garfield 2 over this!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved