Media Megaforum

Land of the Dead: True Romero?
Whiskers at 9:39PM, March 7, 2006
(offline)
Okay, if anyone knows me, they know how much I want to make love to zombies. Gah, they're just omgsomassivelysmexyletshavesexkthnx!

*cough* Anyway, I had just purchased myself the most recent film, Land of the Dead. My fangirl heart fluttered with anticipation! Another zombie movie, after almost a decade or so of nothing! Gasp! Amusement!

I watched it, and squealed at the appropriate parts, but at the end, while I was greatly happy and content, my fangirlness was slightly displeased. And I was left with a burning question: Is Land of the Dead a true Romero movie?

Of course, the movie had the social commentary undertone; how high class, no matter what, has always been greedy while the lower class constantly has to work for itself. The movie also had zombies in masses, squee! It had a common sense main character, and the usual bad assness of zombies.

But in several instances, you were left wonder ‘WTF’? The over used computer animation. Did Romero skip over Savini's good work? I mean, using a little bit of computer animation is okay- but what made the first three totally awesome was the lack of computer animation.

The sexual scenes, in my opinion, where really out of place. As much as I can remember, in all of the originals, there was hardly a sexual scene. In this one, it's like ‘yay! random making out!’ To me, that's a bit of a sign that Romero only did it to please the masses. T_T Which isn't cool. Movies are using these flippant little sex scenes WAY too much.

Any of yins found some of the scenes distubringly non-Romero? Or do you think some of my opinions are worth crap? Explain yourselves!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
hpkomic at 2:16AM, March 8, 2006
(online)
Definately more mainstream than his other films, but it still was pure Romero for me.

Some of the messages were a bit heavy handed, but there was a lot of signature elements that pleased me.

The raid on the town at the beginning being a prime example.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
Thevampire_kain01 at 4:07AM, March 8, 2006
(offline)
~puts hand on Whiskers sholder~ welcome to…. THE OTHERS! muh4h4h4h44h4h4h4h44h4h4h4h4!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
Whiskers at 6:58AM, March 8, 2006
(offline)
Thevampire_kain01
~puts hand on Whiskers sholder~ welcome to…. THE OTHERS! muh4h4h4h44h4h4h4h44h4h4h4h4!

……Uhm…. oki…. *goes off into corner with a scared look of WTF*

Anyway, that was what the term I was looking for! Mainstream! But Romero isn't mainstream. ;-; I guess that's why the movie doesn't feel like true Romero to me… And kyaaaaah. Yes, the opening shot was bestest…

Do yins think that Big Daddy was an awesome zombie?? *hearts him fully*
Teh Tom at 4:39PM, April 10, 2006
(offline)
One of the worst zombie movies ever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
skoolmunkee at 11:58PM, April 10, 2006
(online)
Whiskers
Do yins think that Big Daddy was an awesome zombie?? *hearts him fully*

No. I thought Bub was a much better zombie than Big Daddy. Big Daddy was stereotypical and a bit laughable (not in the good way)… especially the zombie rage bits (when other zombies got killed) or when he was figuring something else out, or showing the others to do it. I saw Land of the Dead before I saw Day of the Dead (is that the one Bub was in? The one in the missile silo) and after I saw Bub I felt really cheated by Big Daddy. Bub was an actual character and you empathized with him, at the same time you were both impressed and frightened by him too.

Land of the Dead made me feel a bit embarrassed for Romero, to be honest. It was cashing in on way too many things for me to consider it anything other than the typical depthless summer blockbuster type of movie. For me the Romero movies are much more about underlying tension, character relationships, and a fear based on the unknown or on what is outside one's control. Land of the Dead was far too “guns and giant techno death tank and post-apocalyptic future and goddamn idiot women in tight outfits and zombies yeah RAWK DEATH METAL.”
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
Teh Tom at 9:53AM, April 11, 2006
(offline)
Thank god. Someone who also gets it when it comes to Romero.

The sad part is I'm looking forward to Zack Snyder's Day Of The Dead remake than I was at Land Of The Dead.

WHY COULDN'T ROMERO LEARN! Fast zombies = scary. Scary in a zombie movie = GOOD.
hpkomic at 4:44PM, April 11, 2006
(online)
Zombies being fast make zombies lame.

Teh Tom, I highly doubt you “get” Romero at all. His films weren't just about scares, they were satire, which is why 70's Dawn of the Dead is the perfect zombie movie.

The real danger of facing zombies would be not working with other survivors, or getting screwed over by the living. The zombies are just there to make humans even more assholeish.

That's the point to Romero's zombie films.

As for further criticism of LotD, I think he went a bit overboard on the zombies acting out their past lives, where it was more subtle in past films, ie the zombies coming to the mall on DotD or Bubs's experimenting with objects. Then again, he was trying to make us feel that the zombies weren't so bad, that they were just trying to find their own place in the world.

Thought I can't help but think in that situation, Shaun of the Dead trumps LotD, with the “primal instincts” of the zombies making them excellent workers.

LotD isn't my favorite Dead film, it's the most flawed, but it has some truly excellent parts to it, as I stated, the town raid at the beginning, the opening credits (nice recap of the situation in NotLD), Dead Reckoning (for the most part) and the fact that nearly everyone in the film was a complete moron (wasting ammo, moving around alone, doing generally stupid things, just like people would in that situation).

In my opinion the films were best in the order of Dawn, Night, Day and Land.

Also, everyone should be reading The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman, it's a comic that plays out like a zombie movie, but it just keeps going and getting more and more awesome.
Teh Tom at 7:06PM, April 11, 2006
(offline)
Teh Tom, I highly doubt you “get” Romero at all

I highly doubt you know shit about me.
hpkomic at 7:32PM, April 11, 2006
(online)
Teh Tom
Teh Tom, I highly doubt you “get” Romero at all

I highly doubt you know shit about me.

Making an observation based on what impression you've left here.

Also, watch the language.
Whiskers at 7:44PM, April 11, 2006
(offline)
Aw, I had considered Big Daddy to be neat. A bit out of place if anything. Liiiiike, if Big Daddy was with Bub, being experimented on, then he could've probably developed those ‘feelings’ of seeing his comrads die ‘n at.

I still love him, but I do agree that having him develop those feelings with no prior ’push' to do so did kinda hinder him character wise. ^.^ (And yes, Bub was in Day of the Dead, which is the best movie in my opinion).

Did yinsk now that the two guys from Shawn of the Dead were those two zombies in chains that the ladies took pictures with? XD

Oh! And one thing I did love about the movie: Charlie. Charlie was a bit mentally handicapped, yet he proved to be VERY useful. I loved that concept, that someone in a wordly ending type setting, where people constantly harp on how fast/intelligent you have to be, yet he proves that you don't need to be like that.
marine at 2:44PM, April 15, 2006
(offline)
It didn't suck balls, and thats all that we as fans of Zombie movies should really care about.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Teh Tom at 6:34PM, April 15, 2006
(offline)
Why? Because it's a zombie movie we should praise it just because it wasn't made by Uwe Boll.

That's Episode 3 logic. Well because it's not AS bad as the rest of em all, then hell we should be happy.

Land Of The Dead was horrible. Romero’s political satires that he once was able to add with a subtle touch as they blended into his story were lost and replaced with down right horrid scripts and dialog. It's not the 80s anymore, you can't get away with that.

This poorly made comic sums up how I feel.

ccs1989 at 7:14PM, April 15, 2006
(online)
Well, I haven't seen any of these movies, but Zombie stories can be pretty darn awesome. The Walking Dead is one of the best series of graphic novels i've ever read.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Whiskers at 7:31PM, April 15, 2006
(offline)
T_T Mmmmkay. I very much disproved of Romero for Land of the Dead, but he isn't a fuckin' George Lucas copy, Tom. So flippin' back off, no? He screwed up once, and yes, there was the political message, but it was slightly overpowered by the killings ‘n at.

Regardless, it’s not like he sucked hard core at THREE movies in a row. Respect the man, he pretty much made the zombie genre. So yeah, your comic fuckin' blows.
Teh Tom at 9:33PM, April 15, 2006
(offline)
No. Sorry your zombie god has failed. Deal with it.

Cause Romero is JUST like Lucas. Makes something great, turns around and does a half assed job in the 80s. then screws around only to fail in the new century.
Whiskers at 9:36AM, April 16, 2006
(offline)
If he did it consecutively, then I would have no arguement. But this is his FIRST movie after a decade of doing nothing. Granted, I expected more of him, but he's rusty perhaps.

So how ‘bout you wait ’til he gets out two other movies, and if he fails at them horribly and pretty much makes them only as slasher/fanservice deals, THEN you'd be correct. Otherwise, you have nothing to prove that Romero is ‘pulling a Lucas’.

And what's this, half assed job? He did Day of the Dead, which by far, was the best out of the three zombie movies. It's Land of the Dead that was half assed, get your decades straight, yo.
hpkomic at 11:50AM, April 16, 2006
(online)
Whiskers. Calm down. Teh Tom is just being a troll and trying to stir up trouble.

By the way, thread locked.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved