Media Megaforum

Last film you watched.
ozoneocean at 8:52PM, Dec. 16, 2013
(online)
I saw the first part of the hobbit and thought like with the later StarWars films and the Lord of the Rings movies that they're not for me.

I've been immersing myself in anime recently but I took a break and saw Post Grad, staring one of the Katy Perry clones - Alexis Bledel.
It starts of with the cliche of the new college graduate thinking she'll walk a lovely publishing job with a big office and will rent a massive apartment. That thankfully falls through and she has the more realistic troubles of trying to find a real job…Meanwhile her small scale Lance Armstrong lookalike platonic guy friend is helping her out and providing support, her Michael Keaton dad is being wacky, Jane Slaughter mum is being giant, Carole Burnet granny is being sour, and her little brother is being Eddie Munster complete with coffin go-cart.

Along the way she has an almost sexual relationship with her ultra hot Brazilian neighbour who is a director for ads… This pisses off her platonic guy friend who was secretly feeling freindzoned and now doesn't want to be her friend any longer. She is hurt but decides to make it up to him with a “grand gesture”… he's a whiny bitch and moves away to college in New York anyway.
She gets her dream job but decides to ditch it in the end to run after friendzone passive aggressive guy, flying all the way to New York without a job or home and throw herself at him… He decides now they can be friends again.

Seems like the co-star “got the girl” while the star got the shitty end of the stick.
Rating: moron class.

last edited on Dec. 16, 2013 8:58PM
kawaiidaigakusei at 7:58PM, Jan. 10, 2014
(online)
I watched Post Grad a few years ago, this summary makes it sound even more entertaining than the original. The best part of the version I saw was that the subtitles were messed up and they kept calling the girl “Bean Pole”.

I have been watching a ton of movies that have shown up on my Netflix Que.

I decided to watch “She's All That” again because it was first released in 1999. Anyway, unlike the first time, it did not disappoint. I like how high school was portrayed in movies with their typical clichés and when I look back on my own exprience, there were no Malibu mansion like parties, perfectly choreographed dances at prom, and first world problems were a jock's internal conflict is whether he should go to school at Harvard, Yale or Dartmouth.

By the end of he film, I had that odd realisation that all the actors in the movie are now in their mid thirties and early forties! Has it really been fifteen years?
last edited on Jan. 10, 2014 7:59PM
kawaiidaigakusei at 9:06PM, Jan. 15, 2014
(online)
I just finished watching the film Her starring Joaquin Phoenix. It is the cautionary tale of a man falling in love with his phone's iOS device. It is an updated version of movies that came out in the eighties about sentient computers like Electric Dreams, but this movie could be more realistic. Somehow I feel that a future where people will connect to their electronic devices is possible.

Outside of the story, the thing I found most captivating about this movie is that it takes place in a slightly futuristic version of Los Angeles. While I was watching, I saw then camera pan across a familiar but unfamiliar skyline and a very familiar subway system. I really liked how Downtown LA looked with its usage of pedestrian bridges and more developed skyline. In fact, I am just thinking about it now, but in one scene, he travels from downtown center to the beach on a subway and right now there are plans to extend the subway to the beach and that will not be completed for another twenty years.
Abt_Nihil at 4:56AM, April 18, 2014
(online)
Yesterday I first watched Taken, an action trhiller starring Liam Neeson. It's just under 90 minutes long, wastes no time, is highly efficient and suspenseful, but the character set-up being so efficient means it's also pretty flat and generic. Still, it had me at the edge of my set by the climax.

Then I watched A Serious Man. It's a film by the Coen Brothers, following their Burn After Reading and preceding True Grit, I believe. It is set in the late 60s in a Jewish community in the American midwest and follows a Physics professor who has a kind of midlife crisis - lots and lots of bad things happening to him, and his struggling to come to terms with it. I had seen the film back in 2009 when it came out, and I had always meant to watch it again, because it is so stirring and enigmatic. And the 2nd viewing was really rewarding, it holds up very well. The Coens always have good eyes for detail, so even the mundane things are mesmerizing, and the production design envokes the era brilliantly. Even though the movie is somewhat depressing for most of its running time, it probably has more laugh-out loud moments than better comedies. (I should add that I don't like comedies, because most of the time, I don't find them genuinely funny.)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved