Media Megaforum

Last film you watched.
machinehead at 6:36PM, Feb. 23, 2011
(online)
I just got done watching the Tournament. I'd never heard of it, but I was pleasantly surprised.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
Armagedon at 12:15AM, Feb. 26, 2011
(online)
Just watched Drive Angry 3D. Was as expected… lots of violence, lots of sex… and well action.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Product Placement at 8:24AM, Feb. 27, 2011
(online)
Comicracy
Just watched the movie Crank 2; High Voltage , this movie was terrible, just terrible!
I did not have to watch the movie to come to that conclusion. I mean really… it was enough learning that it featured the same character from the first movie, who last time I remembered had never received the antidote for the poison that he had been affecting him throughout the movie, had just received an extra dosage of same poison and… oh yeah… HE FELL FROM A HELICOPTER!

Last movie I watched was Arachnophobia. Had never seen it before and was interested enough to watch it.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
blindsk at 10:06AM, Feb. 27, 2011
(online)
Product Placement
Last movie I watched was Arachnophobia. Had never seen it before and was interested enough to watch it.

Ah, I remember seeing that movie when I was little. Found it to be extremely creepy. However, John Goodman was quite hilarious in that one providing relief in some otherwise tense moments!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
Genejoke at 11:50PM, March 3, 2011
(online)
Two kids films that I really enjoyed.

How to train your dragon, which I would say I even preferred to toy story 3.

Despicable me, which really funny.

Oh and i watched wolverine last night as well, just in the background while doing comic stuff. There is a lot of good stuff about it but far too much guff around it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
ayesinback at 6:46AM, March 6, 2011
(online)
Monster House

Missed it (on purpose) when it was in the theaters because that particular 3D usually skeeves me (10 min.s of Polar Express was 9 min too many).

But the CGI was fascinating, particularly the facial expressions. And the detail of the house coming to life really made up for the mediocrity of characters and storyline.
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Tim Wellman at 9:42PM, March 11, 2011
(online)
I just watched Onechanbara The Vortex. I think it was better than the first movie… the special effects were better, anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Genejoke at 11:19PM, March 11, 2011
(online)
Role models

and

I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry

We watched these with friends over, I'd seen role models before and I think it was even funnier second time around. s for chuck and larry… i really thought it would be shit, It was hilarious. That may have been the alcohol talking but it made me laugh.
Product Placement at 12:09PM, March 12, 2011
(online)
Just watched through “The thief and the cobbler: The recobbled cut”

Apparently there are several versions of this movie out with various titles; “The Thief and the cobbler”, “The Princess and the Cobbler” and “Arabian Knight”. The production history of the film is a bit sad because this used to be a pet project of Richard Williams, who is probably best known for “Who framed Roger Rabbit?” Since it was an independently funded project, progress var very slow moving and it took almost 30 years to finish.

Eventually, around 1990, Williams got funding from Warner Brothers who decided to give him the artistic license to finish the project the way he wanted. By 1992 the deadline that Warner Brothers had given Williams was up but he was close to finishing it, missing only 15 minutes or so. On top of that, Disney was in the middle of the process of releasing Aladdin which was similarly themed, not to mention had characters very similar to Williams cartoon -is looking condescendingly at Disney right now- Warner Brothers demanded that Williams would send them what he had finished for a review and then proceeded to kick him of the project. Around this time, a bootlegged copy of the unfinished work leaked out, which is known as “The Thief and the Cobbler”

Several years later, “The Princess and the Cobbler” and “Arabian Knight” came out; the former being an international release while the latter was distributed in the states. These versions had everything that was considered to be risky cut out (The king and the big baddie had concubines for example), the main characters, who were silent in the original version now had internal monologue going on in their head, explaining the story in a very unnecessary manner and songs bearing titles like “Am I Feeling Love?” and “Bom, Bom, Bom, Beem, Bom,” were added as well. The resulting product was a critical and a commercial flop.

Few years ago, a fan made restoration project, let by Garrett Gilchrist was launched to restore the bootleg copy to a version that was the closest to the original idea which resulted in the recobbled cut. In essence it's a lightly edited version of the original bootleg copy but the missing 15 minutes are compensated with original story board sketches, original pencil tests and partially completed footage that never made the original cut. The original recorded voice cast is also used and all songs and internal monologues are gone.

The recobbled cut is definitely an interesting watch but does suffer from being all over the place, probably due to Gilchrist wanting to include ALL the material, even the stuff that Williams probably would have thrown away himself, in addition of not doing a good enough job editing some of the scenes together. Despite that, it's probably the closest thing to the original script that's out there so if anyone's interested, I recommend looking it up. However, since it's a bootleg version, you won't find it anywhere except on the Internet, for example on youtube.

Today Williams refuses to talk about the film, which is the bit what sadness me. Imagine working on a personal project for a very good chunk of your entire life, then have it taken away and effectively butchered up. He probably carries allot of scorn towards this part of his life which is not a very healthy way of living, I can tell you.

…This turned out to be much longer description then I originally intended it to be.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
ayesinback at 3:31PM, March 16, 2011
(online)
saw “The Kids Are All Right”. Overall, it was rather disappointing: it seemed sketched rather than drawn.

Annette B and Juliann M, both great actresses, were too obviously acting. It's off-putting when hetero actors have no chemistry in a love scene, but when there's no chemistry with a gay/lesbian couple, it's almost comical.

On the other hand, this might be my favorite Mark R performance - his character is a nice guy who seems to get it, but . . .
under new management
Catcha Man at 5:30PM, March 16, 2011
(offline)
Watched Rango. It was a surreal take on the western genre…and yes, I do consider it a western. Definitely worth the money, considering that youngsters might not be all that into it. Especially one of the best looking films this year.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Dark Pascual at 5:03PM, March 17, 2011
(online)
As the newest film I've watched (as never seen before), I saw Social Network a few weeks ago, pretty good IMO.

But the last movie I (re)watched was Serenity the last Sunday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
demontales at 6:25PM, March 17, 2011
(online)
Mary and Max

just AMAZING
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Rengishi at 4:52PM, March 18, 2011
(online)
The Adjustment burea ,nit super great,but very good
PSN account: OrangeDJ1
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
Faliat at 7:11PM, March 30, 2011
(online)
Watched Sympathy for Mr Vengeance again on monday.

My sister's boyfriend said it was boring. And he only watched the end near the credits.
That and he's dyslexic. But he says he can read subtitles fine most of the time.

It establishes a lot without much dialogue. I guess people would find that boring. But I've only seen one feature-length movie in the past two years with less. And that was Wall-E. Wall-E isn't boring.

The only real gripes I have with the former is the screechy soundtrack, the stupid thing the sister does (If you've watched it you'll know what I mean) and what Ryu does with the kidneys of the black market organ dealers.
Regardless it's a must-see.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
ayesinback at 2:12PM, April 1, 2011
(online)
Watched The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest - last in the Swedish trilogy.

The trilogy is awesome; I doubt I'll be watching the American re-make. Can't see how it would measure up. The original cast has so totally defined the characters for me, and the pacing is spot on for creating a gradual tension. Highly recommended.
under new management
blindsk at 2:56PM, April 1, 2011
(online)
This particular page is filled with plenty of good movies…so time to balance it all out with one, giant, train-wreck of a movie: Battle for Los Angeles!

Even Aaron Eckhart couldn't save this one. Most of the time I felt bad that he was put into such a movie. But I guess even the best of actors have their unfortunate roles. I found it amusing (and borderline cute, like watching a small child trying to perform in a mock trial) that the audience was made to sympathize with some of the characters. Honestly, all we expected was explosions and aliens, so why try to deliver anything more than that? By attempting some emotion, it removed itself as a mindless killer, something it should've strived for.

The only redeemable quality of this film is that the viewer could see complete and utter annihilation of that city.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
Genejoke at 3:00PM, April 1, 2011
(online)
That reminds me I watched two films recently, Skyline and Splice.

Skyline was better than I expected, it wasn't a good film but enjoyable enough.

Splice in some ways was excellent but didn't quite hit the mark.
ayesinback at 10:45AM, April 10, 2011
(online)
The Reader

Haven't read the book, and I don't aspire to watch every Holocaust-associated flick made, but I decided to give it a go because Kate Winslet just keeps getting better.

And she IS good, and so is David Cross, the boy lead. A very thoughtful film on at least two counts: the morals of a community/society later being boiled down to the responsibilities of the individual, and the responsibility of adults when it comes to respecting/protecting a child's childhood.

OK - so that's my interpretation. All around, a well-done “ask the questions” film.
under new management
bravo1102 at 2:22AM, April 11, 2011
(online)
ayesinback
The Reader

Haven't read the book, and I don't aspire to watch every Holocaust-associated flick made,

My wife does. Everytime she comes back from the library there's another Holocaust inspired movie in her hands.

Godzilla 1998 with Matthew Broderick etc.

It was fun and the casting was great, some good whimsy in there like when Harry Shearer says Godzilla and the girl rolls her eyes and says its pronounced “Gojirra” But in the end it went Jurassic Park with an appearance of those F-18s from ID4.
The half rainbow of the 42nd ID New York/New Jersey National Guard was everywhere. We had a lot of conversations around the post about this one when I was in the Guard. They should have let NJ Guard tanks take out the lizard. (instead they used GI Joe toys for tanks!)

We even worked out the fire commands and ammunition types. Quick road march from Fort Dix up to NYC and we would've made short work of the thing. We wouldn't miss.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Genejoke at 7:11AM, April 11, 2011
(online)
Due date.

Very funny, had a few mates round and all enjoyed it.
ozoneocean at 5:07AM, April 12, 2011
(online)
Knocked up.

I re-watched this because I needed a silly American comedy to get through my work.
My opinion changed on it.
Initially I thought it was vacuous and stupid, but on re-watching I noticed all sorts of great comedy actors doing bit parts and I felt they were making a genuine attempt (with the main story) to reconcile the transition of the overgrown adult with a teenage-slacker/coasting mindset, to a responsible adult and contributing member of the community when faced with the sudden and unforeseen phenomena of parenthood.

…Initially I thought it was just the same old line: it's fun to be a slacker but it's actually evil and you'll have to conform in the end to be a good citizen!!!!!! Only then can you be good.

But even though that interpretation is still valid, I think the film creators were genuinely interested in the life changing effects of starting a family.

…And it was still an OK silly American Comedy.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Faliat at 8:54AM, April 12, 2011
(online)
Spirited Away.

I've been trying to watch it for six years now. Today I succeeded.

It's horribly overrated!

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Genejoke at 12:51PM, April 12, 2011
(online)
I quite liked it, but when a film gets that much praise it's hard for it NOT to be over rated.

Tantz Aerine at 1:22PM, April 12, 2011
(online)
I watched an old movie, Double Jeopardy with Brittany Murphy.

A really surprisingly well done murder-courtroom drama movie, with the narrator being the murdered woman. I enjoyed it quite a bit!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
kyupol at 7:07PM, April 12, 2011
(offline)
Battle LA
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
DAJB at 12:59AM, April 13, 2011
(online)
Just watched Legion (described as a “high concept horror” ) on one of the Sky movie channels. It had so many (unintentionally!) hilarious lines I couldn't help thinking it had been written as a spoof but that no one had told the actors!

I laughed far more than I usually do at most comedies. Plus it had Adrianne Palicki so I was able to see what she was like before the new Wonder Woman TV series airs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Genejoke at 1:25AM, April 13, 2011
(online)
Legion is pretty bad but in a good way.
mlai at 8:56AM, April 13, 2011
(online)
I just watched Let The Right One In, a 2008 Swedish horror film with English subtitles. The critics are right; this is hands down one of the best vampire movies I have ever seen.

It's one of the best not because it's scary. Vampires aren't scary anymore. In fact this movie was scariest when it followed the old man with the halothane. It's one of the best because it's a movie that makes you think about what will happen to the endearing characters after the movie has ended. Vampires are in this movie, but it's really a movie about children, the cyclical nature of abuse, and the ignorance of innocence that dooms itself.

That's what I get out of it. This is 1 of those movies where ppl will have different takes on it. You can watch the American remake Let Me In, which I hear is just as good if not better.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
isukun at 11:22PM, April 13, 2011
(online)
I actually went to the movies for the first time in a long while a couple weeks ago. Saw Battle: LA to support my cousin who was in the film. He played Cpl. Lee Imlay, the one who was second in command in the unit. Figured I had to at least do that much after he went through boot camp. On the same day, I also checked out Rango.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved