Thor.

Just last night.

Awesome.

:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
bravo1102 at 3:17AM, May 9, 2011
(online)
Love Affair (1939)

Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. An Affair to Remember is the remake. Not as weepy as that and Irene Dunne gives a very witty performance as opposed to Deberah Kerr's big tearjerker. But Charles Boyer doesn't come close to Cary Grant.
Nominated for 6 Academy Awards it didn't have a chance against Gone with the Wind.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Air Raid Robertson at 4:35PM, May 11, 2011
(online)
A few years ago I developed a strong affinity for the science fiction and giant monster movies produced by Toho studios in the 50's and 60's. I picked up quite a few of them on DVD and lately I've been rewatching them.

I guess I'm drawn to how punchy and to-the-point they are. I also find the goofy and outdated special effects to be charming. Sure, it's obviously a guy in a rubber dinosaur suit stomping on toy tanks.

Still, I'd say that modern CGI looks equally fake. It also looks fake in a fairly soulless way.

One of my favorites is probably The Mysterians. That one is about an alien race that comes to Tokyo and demands both a fiefdom and a selection of Earth women to help them repopulate their dwindling species. The Japanese react poorly to a request for “Earth bitches” and war is declared.

I also really love Attack of the Mushroom People. That one is kind of like Gilligan's Island if you replace the tired gags with an assortment of nuclear fungus monsters.

Of the kaiju films, my strongest endorsement goes to Terror of Mechagodzilla. That one has the monster fighting spread evenly throughout the whole movie rather than have everything crammed into the last fifteen minutes. It also has a fairly interesting storyline for the humans as well. I particularly enjoyed the forbidden romance between man and cyborg.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
ayesinback at 7:56AM, May 13, 2011
(online)
The Green Hornet

As the movie went along it became progressively more painful to watch. Seth Rogen went Robin Williams on this role.

but the black beauty was awesome
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Abt_Nihil at 4:41PM, May 13, 2011
(offline)
The Fighter:
A completely unoriginal story that feels as if I've seen movies based on it several times already - but excellent acting (especially from Christian Bale, with whom I had grown bored after his lackluster acting in his previous movies) that makes watching it worthwhile.

Thor:
Fun! Too straightforward and predictable, but still fun. Chris Hemsworth is Thor.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
ayesinback at 6:42AM, May 16, 2011
(online)
The Hangover

hahahahahaha something to offend everyone (who doesn't have a sense of humor). For some reason, it was the chicken that started my laugh-o-rama.
under new management
Product Placement at 5:31AM, May 17, 2011
(online)
Two films I recently watced…

Primer:

A movie about two garage scientists (people who try to invent things on personal budget (many companies like Microsoft and Google started that way)) start experimenting with gravity shielding (based on Podkletnov's concept) and manage to prove that it's possible. However, they discover a unexpected side effect.

It was a dirt cheep product, with a budget of only $7,000. It's considered to have a ridiculously complex plot, to the point that critics have said "anybody who claims fully understand what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar."

Be as that may, it wasn't that ridiculously hard to follow; you just have to pay attention to what's going on. It also helps to understand all the technical jargon that they're spewing out but they make no efforts in dumbing down the dialog.

———————

The Confederate States of America:

Saw this one the other day. A mockumentary that plays with the idea of what if the Confederacy won the civil war. It's set up as a real documentary that was made in a world where these events actually happened. The documentary was made by Britain, so that the movie handles the states in a critical light but it's being shown in an American channel, so occasionally the movie is interrupted by commercial breaks that are based off old American commercials that are today considered to be racist.

It follows events from the civil war to modern day, which supposedly mirrors ours surprisingly well. For example, the US still goes to war with Japan, they still develop the nuke and they still get to the moon. They still have a Vietnam war, still get Kennedy for president, who is subsequently shot and are today in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The main difference between the two alternative realities is that the Confederate states now play the role of the global bad guys, while the Soviet union was seen as the lesser of two evils by the world community. After the confederacy finishes establishing themselves in the North, they start a campaign to annex central and south America, becoming an American Empire. A Soviet backed united nations set up a trade embargo on the states for their support of the Nazi regime and America maintains an isolationist approach, ever since.

The movie skips few vital details which they try to make up by posting an extended timeline on their official website, that you can read through. Other then that, it's a fun watch for the historical speculator.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
ozoneocean at 6:37AM, May 22, 2011
(online)
Product Placement
The Confederate States of America:
That sounds pretty cool! :)

———-
I watched “Tall hot blonde”.
It's a documentary about a worthless loser who pretended in a chatroom that he was a hot young 18 year old marine to what he thought was a hot young 18 year old girl. The developed a relationship online, had ups and downs and eventually she started chatting to a young real 18 year old co-worker of his online as well… and he got jealous and nasty…
Then his wife found out about his stupidity and exposed him as the 48 year old balding factory worker farther of 3 that he was…
And yet that didn't stop anything. He continued his relationship with her and got serious again. Then he thought she was getting serious with his young co-worker so he made nasty threats to the girl about him- She warns the boy. Then next thing that happens the crazy looser goes and viciously murders his co-worker.
…So the police find out about the connections and the chats and relationships and go to warn the 18 year old girl… Only to find that it's actually a 52 year old woman how was pretending to be her daughter all along. :)
The crazy shooter guy gets arrested…

The problem is that the entire documentary is skewed around the premise that the woman was actually the evil one who “lured” people into her evil “web of sex”.
I just couldn't believe it! They're getting this insane, nutcase crazy murderer to tell us most of the story, interviewing him like he's the injured party. A conciousless, psychopath that executed a guy that used to be his friend because of his own crazy mixed up personal fantasy life, and threatened the woman that he'd rape her and kill her mother… And yet apparently it's the woman who was REALLY the true villain here…?

…Because apparently having online relationships with people who just turn out to be murderess who go and kill your friend and threaten to kill you and the rest of your family is worse than actually being the murderer.

I turned it off in disgust before it ended.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
ayesinback at 8:07AM, May 22, 2011
(online)
A Prophet - 2009

A French film, that was nominated for best foreign Oscar. About a young Arab man sent to a French prison and how he survives for 6 years.

Really good, but it's long (2 hrs 35 mins) — it was a good fit for me on a lazy afternoon. The thing I liked most was that I couldn't catch any one at any time “acting” solid, solid storytelling. It definitely made the argument of how criminals become professional after spending time in jail.
under new management
ozoneocean at 9:06AM, May 22, 2011
(online)
Ayn Rand: in her own words.
Another documentary. Apparently Ayn was her parents favourite child, she was too smart for school, went to the US after the Russian revolution, met Cecil B Demille on her first day in Hollywood, became a movie extra, got lots of writing work, fell in llove at first sight with her future husband, had it tough in New York for a little while, everyone loved The Fountain Head (especially war pilots apparently), she made 50k selling at as a movie script and then felt utterly entitled to all her wealth and lived it up and life was glorious and then she died…

Pretty dull and pretty light on anything that happened to her after WW2. Amazing that she kept the exact same hairstyle all her life though…

bravo1102 at 10:12AM, May 25, 2011
(online)
Oz: You sure that wasn't fiction? Doesn't sound like the Ayn Rand I read about except for the long and dull part.

Resevoir Dogs

I don't like Quentin Tarentino but I liked the movie a lot.

Judge Dredd

It really was that bad. They should have gone full for the campiness as the movie comes to life when Stallone is having fun with his flat character. That is very rare however and we're left with explosions, battling Germanic accents from Jurgen Prochnow and Max Von Sydow and a totally wasted Joan Chen. And there was a time in Hollywood when Rob Schneider played every serious stone faced hero's sidekick. Make him go away. Please just make him go away…
Genejoke at 12:11PM, May 25, 2011
(online)
POTC on stranger tides. Meh!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
meemjar at 5:56PM, May 25, 2011
(offline)
Pirates of the Caribbean; on Stranger Tides.

Hilariously Awesome!

Johhny Depp's Captain Sparrow steps up from secondary hero opposite Orlando Bloom to become the main Hero(?).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
ozoneocean at 12:26AM, May 26, 2011
(online)
bravo1102
Oz: You sure that wasn't fiction? Doesn't sound like the Ayn Rand I read about except for the long and dull part.
Well it was called “in her own words”
It was just a bunch of interviews with her interspersed with some photos from stages of her life.
-That's history from a “primary source” :)
Buuuut everything she said sounded like a bit of a story…

I half liked Judge Dread. It wasn't bad for a big Hollywood campy hero film, but they sacrificed all Dread's terrible darkness and the grittiness of the world of 2000AD. I don't think American movie makers get that sort of grim, gritty, violent themed stuff with its ghastly humour. Brits do, but they don't make those sorts of films.
-Everyone is better off skipping Judge Dread and going straight for Demolition Man instead. That's a better done film, made along similar lines.

Genejoke at 5:43AM, May 27, 2011
(online)
I'm looking forward to the new judge dredd movie, hopefully they will get it right this time.

Clash of the titans, the newer one. not sure how they made it so dull.
DAJB at 5:57AM, May 27, 2011
(online)
Genejoke
I'm looking forward to the new judge dredd movie, hopefully they will get it right this time.
Like Ozone, I kind of like the Sly Stallone one. I think it has parallels with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in that it bears almost no resemblance to the tone of the source material, but it does just about work on its own terms - just a fun, flashy, popcorn movie.

Genejoke
Clash of the titans, the newer one. not sure how they made it so dull.
Heh. Dull as ditch water! I watched that at around the same time as the other Perseus film, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Neither of them was great, but the fact that I preferred Percy Jackson speaks volumes for just how dull they managed to make Clash of the Titans!

Also - How to Train Your Dragon. Hated the design of the dragon (Toothless the Night Fury) but, apart from that, it was a lot of fun. Under-rated, I think.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Genejoke at 12:34PM, May 27, 2011
(online)
I enjoyed the stallone judge dredd for what it was, but I would still like to see it pulled off more in keeping with the source material.
ayesinback at 7:09AM, May 29, 2011
(online)
Kinky Boots, 2005

Rather predictable, but fun (especially Lola). Based on a true story of a multi-generational shoe business in Northampton, England that switched product lines in order to save the business.
under new management
blindsk at 2:32PM, May 29, 2011
(online)
Also went to see the new Pirates movie. Enjoyed it more than the other sequels, but even the more comical characters are getting a little tiring for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
CornTown at 2:57PM, May 30, 2011
(online)
Finally got to see the Toxic Avenger.

In terms of TV, I just finished watching all of Jetman,(The 1991 Japanese version of power rangers). If you can get past the plastic suits, it's amazing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
Genejoke at 2:13PM, June 3, 2011
(online)
Adventureland.

Truly fucking awful.
ayesinback at 5:50PM, June 3, 2011
(online)
Genejoke
Adventureland.

Truly fucking awful.
Jesse Eisenberg and Adventureland is why I still haven't seen The Social Network, altho I haven't heard anything but raves for Network. It's just that Adventureland was THAT BAD.

rewatched A Fish Called Wanda. Really liked it the first time, years ago. Didn't hold up very well this second time, even though it was interesting to see how young everyone looked.
under new management
Genejoke at 11:31PM, June 3, 2011
(online)
I haven't seen social network either, I may in spite of jesse eisenberg.

——–

I love you, man. 100 times better than adventureland, not a classic by any stretch of the imagination but quite amusing.
ozoneocean at 1:40AM, June 5, 2011
(online)
I didn't much like A fish Called Wanda when I first saw it… I just kept thinking of how much better all the other films those guys had done were. The only person I really liked in it was Kevin Kline, I thought the others were all pretty flat compared to their other film roles, whereas Kevin really stood out.
—————-

Trying to catch up on some comicbook movies. First up was Hellboy II, the Golden Army.
-It wasn't bad, I don't know why everybody disliked it so much, but I haven't read the comic so I don't have an insight into that perspective.
Of course it wasn't as great as the firt one since you've lost the sense of wonder and awe at the world, none of the relationships or character concepts are new anymore, there's none of that stary-eyed intro stuff that's so great about first times, but it was a good solid film nevertheless.
-I didn't much like the elves too much though, they looked way too Hellraiser… and Mr KungFu master prince man was just waaaay too slick in his fighting for my tastes. But that's just personal preference- I don't like hyper choreographed super-dooper spinning, flying slow-mo amazing fights unless it IS a Kung-Fu movie.

Genejoke at 3:34AM, June 5, 2011
(online)
I liked hellboy 2 but I agree on the points you mention. With the character relationships I thought they seemed a little too comicy, if that makes sense.
mlai at 7:56AM, June 6, 2011
(online)
But… they're elves. We all know elves know kung fu.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
bravo1102 at 12:14PM, June 6, 2011
(online)
Ayesinback mentioning a Fish Called Wanda brings to mind the most recent film I've watched, French Kiss with Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan. He is very convincing as a Frenchman and holds his own with all the native speakers.
And I'd forgotten how much I liked Meg Ryan.

I also saw The Fisher King which is a problematical movie but Mecedes Ruehl is really the reason to watch it, not Robin Williams.
ayesinback at 2:39PM, June 6, 2011
(online)
Mercy, 2009

written by Scott Caan and starring? Scott Caan. His Dad, James Caan, plays the character's Dad. emo drivel

I have only myself to blame - the indications were all there: it's nepotism at nepotism's finest. Can't believe this movie would ever had been made if the name Caan didn't keep showing up.

under new management
DAJB at 11:59PM, June 6, 2011
(online)
mlai
But… they're elves. We all know elves know kung fu.
Not quoted for any particular reason, except … well, how can you not quote that?!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved