Media Megaforum

Last film you watched.
ozoneocean at 9:05AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Xmen… The first one, Still catching up with comic book movies.

I don't read the comics, I only know the franchise from the old cartoons… I think this was a movie mainly for fans. I found it very superficial. And even on a superficial level the fight scenes were spoiled by bad choreography with the wire assisted moves- they lacked any sense of gravity and the pull and balance on the cables were so extremely obvious that I could see them even though they'd been edited out.

As for the acting- Hugh Jackman was decent, as I'd expect from a guy from my home town… Ian Mckellan and Patrick Stewart were decent too. Halle Berri was as wooden as a Keanu Reeves. I don't know if that was all down to her or whether the director was just not very good at using her, but either way she wasn't up to her usual standard. Don't know who the rest of the guys were, but they seemed ok.

All in all, one mainly for fans. It wasn't bad, it was just ok… For me I think the trouble was that it's a weird hybrid: they're taking a subject that should be bright, glitzy, striking, full of shock and awe and spectacle, and dialling it down with some fake gritty reality to make “superheros” more acceptable to their idea of modern mainstream tastes. Very neatly symbolised by the black outfits as opposed to “yellow spandex” (ha ha), even though they still have fantasy superpowers… Resulting in a very downbeat, not very exciting superhero movie, that's also not thoughtful enough to work as a more serious film either.

This is why films like Kick Ass are so very much better. they embrace the glam. -though I know that example wasn't as serious a story and no one actually had superpowers in it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Genejoke at 9:21AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
now watched x-men 2. The first is like an extended trailer for it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
ayesinback at 11:58AM, June 19, 2011
(online)
Defending Your Life (I'm in major procrastination mode)

third time I've seen it? It's better than I remember, and that was the same experience when I saw it the second time.

Albert Brooks is not the world's greatest actor (cough, ahem) but he writes Solid situations. And I can't think of a time I didn't like Rip Torn — what a fantastic name. Hope he someday meets Fixed Mended.
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 6:11PM, June 19, 2011
(offline)
Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves

Because I'm musically and movie-cally deprived, it was the first time I watched it.

I thought it was good.

(Morgan Freeman!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
ozoneocean at 8:58AM, June 20, 2011
(online)
Pirates of the Caribbean; Cures of the Black Pearl.
Pretty much what I expected of a film based on a fun-park ride. Dep's accent was annoying and his “drunk” persona was even more irritating. All the fake accents were bad, including Orlando Bloom AND Jeffrey Rush. The real Brits could do their own accents well enough at least. Jonathan Pryce was sooo out of place there.

Although, as a classic Walt Disney style film, it was a real return to form! So even though it didn't really take my fancy, I really do appreciate its significance. It reminded me so much of all those Disney movies I used to watch as a kid.

Genejoke at 1:14PM, June 20, 2011
(online)
Orlando bloom wasn't doing a fake accent.
I Am The 1337 Master at 2:35PM, June 20, 2011
(offline)
Genejoke
Orlando bloom wasn't doing a fake accent.
:)

I finally finished The Shawshank Redemption today and as I htought of the book, it was okay.

Just not amazing.

(more Morgan Freeman!)
mlai at 7:20PM, June 20, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
I found it very superficial.
Can't argue with that. But I think it was the first modern Marvel superhero summer movie. Pre-dates Spiderman 1?

And even on a superficial level the fight scenes were spoiled by bad choreography with the wire assisted moves- they lacked any sense of gravity and the pull and balance on the cables were so extremely obvious
Are you talking about the Wolv vs Sabertooth fights?

Halle Berri was as wooden as a Keanu Reeves. I don't know if that was all down to her or whether the director was just not very good at using her, but either way she wasn't up to her usual standard.
Halle is a curse on superhero movie roles. No one will hire her to do another one after X-men and Catwoman.

Very neatly symbolised by the black outfits as opposed to “yellow spandex” (ha ha), even though they still have fantasy superpowers… Resulting in a very downbeat, not very exciting superhero movie, that's also not thoughtful enough to work as a more serious film either.
I think that's just your personal taste for glam. I grew up with manga superheroes, and most of the non-sentai (non-Power-Rangers type) superheroes fought in subdued street clothes and wore no masks or capes. The toned-down look suited me fine.

My favorite part of the movie has to be all the Wolv-Rogue subplot parts: Toned-down superhumans in a “gritty/realistic” situation, feeling small human emotions with no grand world-saving goals. It stopped when the death-ray-shooting X-team showed up to drive away Sabertooth (who was dressed as a mountain hobo psycho – perfect toned-down look for him).

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
bravo1102 at 3:05AM, June 21, 2011
(online)
The Cowboys (1971)
One of the few movies where John Wayne dies and one of the few where his character is happily married. Great movie with a great score by a post-Jaws and pre-Star Wars John Williams. Good in-joke like when Bruce Dern says “You're looking at me as if I have two heads.” He'd recently done a movie about that.

A Man for all Seasons (1988)
Charleton Heston stars in and directs. And guess what? He's really good. Actually a better performance than Paul Schofield in the 1966 version that reflects who Sir Thomas Moore actually was. Roy Kinnear's second to last film. Worth seeing just for Vanessa Redgrave and him if you don't like Chuck Heston who is very un-Chuck Heston in this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Genejoke at 3:29AM, June 21, 2011
(online)
Final destination 3D. pretty lame but some amusing kills in it.
ayesinback at 7:48AM, June 21, 2011
(online)
Tombstone

I am infatuated with Kilmer as Doc Holliday – “I'm your Huckleberry”
under new management
bravo1102 at 9:08AM, June 21, 2011
(online)
A few days late for the anniversary but my annual viewing. (18 June is the anniversary of Waterloo)

Waterloo (1971)
Christopher Plummer as a whimsical Wellington (something he was not) and Rod Steiger as a scene chewing Napoleon (something he was) Fantastic battle scenes and on many top ten lists of the best war film ever.

Sharpe's Waterloo (1997)
It was the final Sharpe episode of the series and brings everything together. Nice alternate view of the battle including two things missing from the other movie: the Dutch and Silly Billy. Hugh Fraser is a better Wellington. And it's Sharpe.
ozoneocean at 9:35AM, June 21, 2011
(online)
mlai
I think that's just your personal taste for glam. I grew up with manga superheroes, and most of the non-sentai (non-Power-Rangers type) superheroes fought in subdued street clothes and wore no masks or capes. The toned-down look suited me fine.

My favorite part of the movie has to be all the Wolv-Rogue subplot parts: Toned-down superhumans in a “gritty/realistic” situation, feeling small human emotions with no grand world-saving goals. It stopped when the death-ray-shooting X-team showed up to drive away Sabertooth (who was dressed as a mountain hobo psycho – perfect toned-down look for him).
That's not really what I meant… The thing was you had all the BIG powers like red deathrays, lightning storms etc, BIG fight scenes and a massive customised stealth jet… and yet they're still pretending it's gritty and “real” with Rogue and Wolverine. Just go the whole hog and glam it up like it should be or tone the fantasy stuff down and go with the gritty, you can't do both.
-The cable moves were for all the fights, with Wolverine, Sabertooth, Toad, Storm, and the blue chick.
bravo1102
Hugh Fraser is a better Wellington. And it's Sharpe.
he is.
I Am The 1337 Master
Genejoke
:)
HA! Well he might actually be British, but the accent he was doing didn't sound like his natural one.
It was as if he was trying to do an American version of a Brit accent, which he MAY actually have been trying to do to fit in with Dep and to fit audience expectations- that's assuming he's a good actor.
If he's abad actor, then it was because he's just not that great at saying his lines.

Genejoke at 9:48AM, June 21, 2011
(online)
He's like that in most films. the only one where he wasn't was elizabethtown, where I think he was playing a yank.
ozoneocean at 10:40AM, June 21, 2011
(online)
Well, it's not unheard off- Errol Flynn, the famous swash-buckling Australian actor of Hollywood's golden era always had a very “English” tone overlaid on top of his normal Aussie voice, in his movies, just because that's what the Audience expected. (most Aussies used to do that for movies and radio back then). And people on the BBC radio services used to give themselves artificially plummy voices in the old days…
So, if Orlando is setting himself up for a broader audience, I can understand it.

I Am The 1337 Master at 1:36PM, June 21, 2011
(offline)
The Comebacks

Fat Albert

Both were fucking horrible.

…as I expected…
ayesinback at 3:22PM, June 21, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
(most Aussies used to do that for movies and radio back then).
I swear, Nicole Kidman still does that in a lot of her roles. bloody annoying. I'd like watching her a hell of a lot more (because she's got some chops) if she could figure out her voice. sheesh, Naomi Watts can do it.

why would anyone, with hopes of preserving any trace of humanity, watch Fat Albert?

*oh, never mind*

opinionated much?
under new management
I Am The 1337 Master at 3:32PM, June 21, 2011
(offline)
I had nothing else better to do than watch FX all day.

EDIT-

Which actually led me into a couple of decent movies today.

Pleasantville - Really predictable and lame at times but I think it was an extremely interesting. Not a bad performance by Maguire. Just a typical one.
I also thought their color editing was cool. Simple, but cool.

As Good As It Gets - This is probably the only “romantic comedy” (if that's what you want to call it) that I've ever really enjoyed. Nicholson's character sadly reminded me of myself. So…I might be an asshole when I get old.
Genejoke at 4:21AM, June 23, 2011
(online)
X-men first class.

really good, better than I expected that's for sure.
Faliat at 8:05AM, June 23, 2011
(online)
Extreme Measures

I didn't watch it from the start and kept walking in and out of the room when it was on TV, but I dont' really understand it's mediocre rating on IMDB. Sure, a drug test would've fixed a lot of problems and that a glaring flaw but it still has an interesting plot and questions a lot of ethics. Something I didn't expect from a Hugh Grant movie.

The one I saw before, it though, The Constant Gardener. I liked that more. Probably because of personal involvement. My parents used to be very involved with a charity helping build schools and orphanages in Kenya when we lived in Scotland. Even had two of the members of the traveling childrens choir stay in our spare room for a week. Was a real eye opener.
We still sponsor a kid, but the charity is based in Paisley so it's not as easy to get involved now.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
bravo1102 at 1:10AM, June 24, 2011
(online)
Music in my Heart (1940)
Tony Martin and Rita Hayworth and a bunch of great character actors (Alan Mowbray and George Tobias especially)
After seeing Rita Hayworth I now know what the Greatest Generation was fighting for. (wolf noises here)

Genejoke at 2:09PM, June 28, 2011
(online)
Suckerpunch.

Loved the visuals, although the fight scenes got a little tiresome, too much spinning and shit. I liked the story though, not what you'd expect.
DAJB at 12:16AM, June 29, 2011
(online)
Salt.

Began okay. Focus on main character as a person and not just as a spy reminded me of Alias. Then, after about ten or twenty minutes, it degenerated into a succession of mindless action sequences with nothing in between. Shame.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
bravo1102 at 1:34AM, June 29, 2011
(online)
Heathers (1988)

Now this was a good movie. Loved Christian Slater's channeling of Jack Nicholson Waiting so long to see it makes it obvious how much it influenced what came after.
I Am The 1337 Master at 6:45AM, July 18, 2011
(offline)
“Trail of the Screaming Forehead”

IT WAS AWESOME. :)
JazylH at 7:07AM, July 24, 2011
(online)
Saw “How to train Your Dragon” last night.
Pretty Entertaining.

Updated Mondays & Fridays
ayesinback at 10:51AM, July 25, 2011
(online)
Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2
I've read the books and seen all the movies and there really was no question about seeing this.  HAD to!
Not the best of the bunch, many of the characters (particularly the Hogwarts profs) had no speaking parts - the camera just glided over their faces, so you knew they were still included, but it seemed rather lame.  Particularly when there seemed to be an over-indulgement in those “oh-so all important”  pensive Harry interludes.
But the film did tie everything together for a resolution.

I thought Snape would steal the show - and he was good, but it was the awesome Dame Smith who was most memorable.
under new management
I Am The 1337 Master at 2:58PM, July 26, 2011
(offline)
the last harry potter: bleh. not “bad”…not “great”

11:14: oh god this was awesome. really cool movie. hilarious too…

joe dirt: surprisingly the first time ive seen it. not bad. not great. had alot of “un-spade” acting.
ayesinback at 4:40PM, July 28, 2011
(online)
The Toothfairy

Entirely predictable (so much so that my husband had to leave the room) but sometimes there's nothing like a good sight gag, and the Rock in a pink tutu fit that bill. 
Didn't realize that Billy Crystal is also in the flick – I always like his “old man” shtick.  So, I enjoyed it, but being in a silly mood helped a lot.

Now I have a tutu chaser:  Black Swan.  Ta-ta to the sillies, I expect
under new management
Hguyver at 3:29AM, Aug. 2, 2011
(online)
Captain America: The First Avenger.
I loved that movie. I've seen it in the theater twice now.
Story was good with the right blend of action,  drama and sprinkling of humor. For the acting, characters felt natural and the chemistry between the main character and the love interest was great. It didn't feel forced or awkward. 
I enjoyed the whole thing from beginning to end.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved