Genejoke at 9:08AM, Aug. 2, 2011
(online)
Drive angry 3d.
does exacty what it says.
ayesinback at 10:16AM, Aug. 10, 2011
(offline)
The American (2010)

Well done, if not a little predictable. It's a Clooney film - so if you don't
like him, it'll be near impossible to salvage the film.

Actually, I wasn't sure where Clooney was taking this character – I didn't
want to see a rehash of Up In The Air. And I
didn't – Clooney is really getting better with nuance.

under new management
Genejoke at 1:17AM, Aug. 13, 2011
(online)
Rango.
Looks great and amusing in places but it didn't really engage my interest much.
AzuJOD at 12:00AM, Aug. 14, 2011
(online)
Saw two movies this weekend.
The first was Captain America. I think this movie is as good as Thor. It wins points for its retro-futuristic technology asthetic and for its main villain being a Nazi so evil other Nazi's are afraid of him.
The second one I saw was Green Lantern. Its a good movie if your a Green Lantern fan, like I am. It had quite a few mythology gags and cameos from the Green Lantern mythos that are good incentives for fans to find. The movie also gets points for the completely awesome way the main villain was defeated and for actually making Hal Jordan an interesting and likable character.
ozoneocean at 8:39PM, Aug. 16, 2011
(online)
I saw a lot of films while traveling.
-SMURFS 3D-
was ok. Pretty fun film. I'd never seen modern 3D before. Some of it worked really well!

-THOR-
wtf? OK for a comic book film I suppose. What was with that guy's hair though? Permenatly lank, shitty, this-is-as-long-as-my-moum-we-let-me-grow-it blond shit shit shit hair! Either have it short or have it long you human penis! And his “beard” of 0.5cm blond stubble was nothing but shameful. The least that could have done was given him enough length to strengthen that weak little chin! UGLY emasculated Thor. The “Ice Giants” seem to have forgotten the “giant” bit too.

—-
-AMERICAN BEAUTY-
ok, lots of people love this and say it changed their lives etc, so I had to see it. It was ok, nothing I hadn't seen a hundred times in alternative films before though, the only difference was this was a little more comercial. Basically, pass over this one and whatch Donnie Darko instead, it has the same sentiments, but it's much cleverer, more complicated and funky.

-SLUMDOG MILLIONARE-
another film that “changed lives”. Basically a nice big budget, comercial flashy fun film that has a litttle bit of pat stuff about Indian poverty. Nothing profound. It was an OK movie, but if you want deeper stuff or more interesting stuff (and just as well done and watchable) on the same subject, there are alternatives.

-TRUCKER AND DALE VS EVIL-
This was a hillbilly massmurder parody film where the co-eds turn out to be the maniacs and the scary hillbillies are the normal victims. Watchable but nothing I'd tell people to go out and see.

-PAUL-
A Simon Pegg movie. It was ok. Nice to see Comic Con in there, specially as I was going there at the time and it was filmed partly there when I was there last year. Some of the time the CG animated Paul looked sort of real… The story was actually sort of good in that there was a twist that I did not see! That impressed me. Severl little things that I didn't see right away actually. It would've been a little better if they were made a little more of though.

-HALL PASS-
OMG Owen Wilson has been made fat and boring! Before I almost had a man-crush on that funny, blond, muscled himbo, with a slight mullet. But now his strange bulbouse nose has reached Karl Malden proportions and so has his figure! The film rambled and rambled. There were some pretty funny little moments in it, but overall it just went on and on way too long for what it was. Could have been so much tighter!
—-

–DINNER FOR SCHMUCKS-
The original was SOOOOO much cooler! (The Dinner game). This was so silly and hugley cartoonish. Steve Carrel is just a Homer Simpson of an actor. The idea was sort of the same as the original but with lots of dumb, over-the-top “hillarious” crap piled on one on top of the other, with nicey, nicey sentimentality from Paul Rudd. This is basically a version of “the Dinner Game” that would've appealed to the poor idiots who were depicted in that wonderful movie.
—-
—-
–THE OFFICE–
I know this isn't a film but it was the first time I've seen the American version. There is only a single good character in this version: the weirdo with the glasses. The original was a beautifully painful and so-close to realistic portrail of life in a real office, as seen through the eyes of a BBC documentray film- which style it mimicked exactly! It was funny because it pointed out the horrible absurdities in real office behaviours.
The US steve Carrel version however is just a cartoon. It's sort of funny, but a bit pointless and not very clever. It's just harmless. For that style though, Parks and Gardens does the EXACT same thing as the US version of the OFFICE but a million times better.

Hawk at 4:21PM, Aug. 17, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
The US steve Carrel version however is just a cartoon. It's sort of funny, but a bit pointless and not very clever. It's just harmless. For that style though, Parks and Gardens does the EXACT same thing as the US version of the OFFICE but a million times better.
Is “Parks and Gardens” what they Parks and Recreation outside of the USA?
I liked Parks and Recreation, and find its boss FAR more likable than Steve Carrel.  But I think that it's falling into the same problem that The Office (US) did…  a heavy reliance on asinine relationship drama to draw in female viewership.  I hate will-they-won't-they situations and especially wedding episodes.
ozoneocean at 6:02PM, Aug. 17, 2011
(online)
Yes! I got the name wrong! You're right! Parks and Recreation!
The relationship stuff hadn't really bothererd me much… Drama and comedy is all about conflict etc- there has to be something to focus each story around, relationships are just another method of doing that. Obviously they shouldn't be over-relyed upon though. :(

skreem at 12:12AM, Aug. 18, 2011
(online)
Trollhunter : A norwegian film, it's sort of like the Blair Witch.. but with 200ft trolls instead of the see-thru witch. I thought it were proper boss (despite the english dubbing).

Byth1 at 4:09AM, Aug. 18, 2011
(online)
Bullet in the Head. Old John Woo movie, been watching them a lot lately.
Updated every friday!
Updated every monday!
ayesinback at 3:24PM, Aug. 18, 2011
(offline)
I'm not sure if countries other than the US have Netflix or an equivalent - so I might have to explain to those who aren't familiar – but I strongly suspect there's some joker who sends out random DVDs instead of what is on a member's list.

Last night I watched Lady In White  (1988).  oooooooooooh sooooooooooo bad - one of those movies that wanted to be everything:  suspense, ghost story, feel good, coming of age – ALL AT THE SAME TIME.  I am so sure I didn't put this on my list . . .

But some times there are happy accidents.  I thought I was going to watch an Emma Thomspon drama one time, like the DVD sleeve described, even though I really wasn't in the mood for a heavy drama.  But the disk inside the sleeve was actually a Chris Rock performance.

It was tear-provoking HILARIOUS
under new management
isukun at 9:30PM, Aug. 18, 2011
(online)
Bullet in the Head. Old John Woo movie, been watching them a lot lately.
I really don't look forward to the American remake.
skreem at 2:48AM, Aug. 19, 2011
(online)
Scream of the Banshee.

I wish more films had boxed and walled-up exploding head mythology at their core.
It could have done with more Banshee, but I'd watch it again (I like my films daft and rubber monster based). I'm sure movie snobs would hate it, it is admittedly a bit sh*te, not “Torchwood” sh*te but certainly a little Harkness'y.

last edited on Aug. 19, 2011 2:49AM
ozoneocean at 8:45PM, Aug. 22, 2011
(online)
skreem wrote:
Scream of the Banshee.

I wish more films had boxed and walled-up exploding head mythology at their core.
It could have done with more Banshee, but I'd watch it again (I like my films daft and rubber monster based). I'm sure movie snobs would hate it, it is admittedly a bit sh*te, not “Torchwood” sh*te but certainly a little Harkness'y.
I'm a snob.
I hate evrything.

skreem at 2:49AM, Aug. 23, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
skreem wrote:
Scream of the Banshee.

I'm a snob.
I hate evrything.
What? Even… Holiday on the Buses?

ozoneocean at 3:16AM, Aug. 23, 2011
(online)
skreem wrote:
What? Even… Holiday on the Buses?

Excluding high art like that, of course!

ayesinback at 10:09AM, Aug. 23, 2011
(offline)
a re-watch of Sleepless in Seattle

Its held up pretty well.   Some funny lines in there - and the scene with the 2 guys getting teary over their favorite movie (Dirty Dozen) still brought some laughs.

Kinda makes me wonder what Meg Ryan is doing these days – post silicon lips.
under new management
ozoneocean at 4:50AM, Aug. 24, 2011
(online)
I always get that one confused with “You've got mail”.

Genejoke at 4:25PM, Aug. 24, 2011
(online)
Conan the barbarian.
Loved it.
skreem at 7:08AM, Aug. 27, 2011
(online)
*whispers*
Twilight
It wasn't quite the soap opera/Buffy crossover I was expecting, in fact it was far weirder than I thought would appeal to the teenies. I am shocked to say… I didn't hate it (I had set myself up to).

Hmm but that's probably because it wasn't as lame as I expected it to be.. also I thought there would be more werewolves :(

But don't get me wrong, I still loathe this new take on Vamps generally, ruining a perfectly good classic monster baddy, transforming them into serial killing romantic leads (with f*cking ninja skills - hmm they did that to Batman too (grrr), but that's a different kettle of fish).

*whispers*

Mondo_Funky at 10:54AM, Aug. 28, 2011
(online)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
8/10
It's about a half-hour shorter
than it needs to be (thanks, Fox!), and the ending is a pretty big letdown, but
it's otherwise insanely entertaining and badass. How badass? Gorilla vs.
horse
badass.
bravo1102 at 4:17AM, Aug. 30, 2011
(online)
Valkyrie.

A Tom Cruise movie where you forget you're watching Tom Cruise.  That eyepatch helps a lot.  Bill Nighy and the rest of the excellent British supporting cast are the real reasons to watch the film not Tom Cruise.
ayesinback at 8:19AM, Aug. 30, 2011
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
Valkyrie.

A Tom Cruise movie where you forget you're watching Tom Cruise. 
the only film I can think of where I knew it was Tom Cruise but I could forget it was Tom C was TROPIC THUNDER (highly recommended, Especially for R Downley Jr)
under new management
bravo1102 at 1:52AM, Sept. 2, 2011
(online)
The Reader

Kate Winslet was spectacular  One of the first movies in a long, long time I didn't pause and walk away from.  I was glued to it.  I could go on and on about what it all means in terms of guilt and the Holocaust but as Hannah says in the movie: “They're all still dead.”
ayesinback at 10:24AM, Sept. 6, 2011
(offline)
Finally saw The Social Network, which fit all the buzz I had heard.

Jesse Eisenberg was perfect in that role.
under new management
Genejoke at 3:33PM, Sept. 14, 2011
(online)
Devil.  the best m night sham a lamb film, even though not actually directed by him.  he has churned out lady in the water and the happening and that tripe airbender shit making audiences almost forget how good he could be.  Devil is the dort of film he should be doing.
gullas at 10:18AM, Sept. 18, 2011
(online)
30 days of night (2007)
Josh Hartnett's best role. Want to track down the comic though…
last edited on Sept. 18, 2011 10:21AM
Abt_Nihil at 3:11PM, Sept. 21, 2011
(offline)
I watched the new Conan yesterday, pretty much expecting it too be bad, and it WAS bad. But that's probably my own failure, for not just ignoring the movie - I've evolved into a big Conan fan, mostly thanks to the Dark Horse comics, and really, really craved to see a new Conan movie. Well, this one had nothing to do with Conan, except for some (VERY FEW) names. Apart from that, it was a largely mediocre, sometimes downright bad fantasy/sword-and-sorcery movie. What little clicheed story there was was just a set-up for a tedious sequence of badly choreographed and badly edited action. The casting was okay. Ron Perlman (as Conan's father) was the best. And I always like seeing Rachel Nichols. Rose McGowan, Jason Momoa and the main bad guy (his name escapes me) were adequate. Again, Jason Momoa wasn't Conan, but that's not his fault, but the director's/writers'.

I should add that I think the Milius/Schwarzenegger Conan wasn't Robert E. Howard's Conan as well, but at least the movie was good on its own.
last edited on Sept. 21, 2011 3:14PM
Byth1 at 9:29PM, Sept. 24, 2011
(online)
isukun wrote:
I really don't look forward to the American remake.
Wow, I didn't know they were making one. Not really surprising seeing america's love for remakes lately.
Let's see…The Man From Nowhere comes to mind when I think of the last movie I watched for some reason.
Updated every friday!
Updated every monday!
ayesinback at 8:46AM, Sept. 25, 2011
(offline)
Last night finally saw Dante's Peak (1997)

I'm not much for disaster movies, but I was awed by the volcano's eruption scenes.  How much was CGI and how much Mt. St Helen footage?
under new management
bravo1102 at 2:49AM, Sept. 28, 2011
(online)
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle

It's all comic book silliness with all the wire-foo and slow motion.  But I love Lucy Liu and Cameron Diaz is a gifted comedinne.  The gum cracking CSI bit had me on the floor.  The  cameos were cool especially the unbilled ones.   It's really a gratuitous comic book version of itself and definitely a bit much.  If you like fluff and you find it in the $1.99 bin get it because the DVD extras are good. 

And it's a perfect formula story and effects to steal for your comic. 

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved