Debate and Discussion

legalize marijuana
reconjsh at 10:16PM, March 3, 2007
(online)
So your arguement is that it's less of a burdon to make it legal and so we should?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Aurora Moon at 6:05AM, March 4, 2007
(offline)
let me ask you…

why do you think there's so many help centers for acholics and why it's so easy for people to admit acholics to rehab, both family members and themselves?

in contrast, there seems to be an amazingly SMALL amount of rehab centers for drugs like Marijuana… and it's definitely not easy for family members to admit their family member suffering from pot addiction into rehab, much less themselves.

let's see why…

Drinking things like whiskey is legal. and Because it's legal, there's actually NO shame at all in admitting you need help to defeat any addictions you may have to drinking. family members are also likely to try to adimit you into rebab centers because they'd know that you wouldn't be taken to jail or anything else serious.
And because it's legal, more efforts are put into putting knowledge out there on how to be a responsible drinker. After all, there are safe ways to drink.
Hence, more people now know that it's better to not drink if you don't have an desgsinated driver, as to reduce accidents so that you don't end up killing some family full of kids.
Before, when Achochol was banned, there was more efforts into stopping people drinking and putting them in jail more than there was efforts in educating people about the dangers of being an stupid drinker, inducing the dangers that you could accidently harm somebody while driving.
so in addition to the death of people who OD'd on dangerous homebrew stuff, there was people who also died in car accidents, which was a very common occurance back then.

now compare that to the illegal stuff.
Family members aren't quite as eager to get thier member help, because they know the law would come down hard on thier family member. There's the possible that their family member could go to jail for drug possiession. Social services could get wind of this and take thier grandchildren/nephew/nieces/whatever away from thier family member, and then they'd have to mourn the possiblity that they may just have lost family members due to not being able to see thier grandchildren/nephews/nieces again.
for simlar reasons, people who has those addictions would also be reclant to get help. “I was stupid as an teenager…I tried just a couple of pot, and now I'm still addicted as an adult. I WANT HELP, but I also don't want my children taken away from me! What do I do? Just seems like there's no way out of this!”
there's not much knowledge on how to be an safe drug-user now, is there? that's why you don't hear much of responsible drugusers…. because there's too little knowlege out there on how to be.
In places where such things are legal, those things are regulated and made sure to be safe. there's even cafes where they give out the drugs (like that City Astradem.. can't seem to spell that name correctly)…. and they make sure you don't OD, and they tell you how to do it safely. they make sure you aren't driving afterwards much the same way they would make sure an drunk person isn't driving.
and in those places where people legalized it, there's more help centers than anywhere else… and people are more likely to go get help if they realize they have an addiction.
also, in those areas, there's less crime snice the drugdealers now have no power over any addicted people..and the cops crack down on the illegal drugdealers because they don't usually have liscenses and the knowledge on how to give out safe quanities, etc.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
rengori at 1:19PM, March 4, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
In places where such things are legal, those things are regulated and made sure to be safe. there's even cafes where they give out the drugs (like that City Astradem.. can't seem to spell that name correctly)…. and they make sure you don't OD, and they tell you how to do it safely. they make sure you aren't driving afterwards much the same way they would make sure an drunk person isn't driving.
It'd take somewhere around 1500 pounds of pot to OD, and you'd have to assume all the toxins are consumed too, which they usually aren't.

Aurora Moon
Before, when Achochol was banned, there was more efforts into stopping people drinking and putting them in jail more than there was efforts in educating people about the dangers of being an stupid drinker, inducing the dangers that you could accidently harm somebody while driving.
Actually, in a whole semester of Health Class, it's been “NEVER DRINK OR YOU'LL KILL PEOPLE AND DIE!” rather than educating people on safe drinking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
reconjsh at 1:31PM, March 4, 2007
(online)
It took me alot of searching to find this. A man alledgedly died from pot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/01/20/ncann20.xml

This article is mega-flawed, but at least I found ONE! ROFL!
Atom Apple at 1:42PM, March 4, 2007
(online)
I don't care what they do, if they want to smoke pot then fine. It's not like every 18 year old smokes cigarettes just because they can. They all know the side effects. At least they should. Legalizing it would come with Surgeon General warnings so at least the stupid ones can figure it out.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
ozoneocean at 2:03PM, March 4, 2007
(online)
The Telegraph is a very conservative UK paper I believe… They'd naturally be a little biased towards things like Cannabis. I also note that they have zero counter opinion. Ah well, they do have the Alex cartoon which is good though- better than the usual newspaper fare anyway. I always enjoyed the re-print in the Australian Financial Review.

The death account is interesting, but I wonder if it's true? I mean, how did it poison the man???? The ways that heroin and cocaine can kill you are extremely obvious, but I don't get how he “poisoned” himself using Cannabis? What, is it the same way you can die from taking too many paracetamol in one day? Or too much salt, or water? Because those common, ordinary things are quite easily fatal if you stupidly over indulge and people die from them quite a lot, but no one has called for any of them to be banned for some reason.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
reconjsh at 2:33PM, March 4, 2007
(online)
I think they ruled the cause of death as cannabis because he had symptoms of poinsoning but nothing else was present other than mary-jane. The wording of the report is kind of wonky.

I brought it up as a support for the “you can't OD on weed” statement. I mean, after all my looking I found only one article that suggested cannabis as a lethal substance… and even it wasn't that persuasive.
Jillers at 6:57PM, March 5, 2007
(offline)
I am a proponent of legalized marijuana.
Yes, I do, occasionally smoke it.
No, I'm not addicted. I can tell you plainly that I'm not addicted because I'm not going through withdrawal, thinking about smoking it, eating it, etc… nor am I constantly thinking about it.
I am neither psychologically nor physiologically addicted to it.
I am like the many other pot smokers out there for whom pot is not a gateway drug.
I also used to smoke about 3 times a day because it was there and I could. I could also have chosen not to. I never had a strong need to smoke it, and after those three months of much pot smoking, I didn't go through any of the withdrawal symptoms typical of an addict.

My opinion, however, would not change if I didn't smoke pot.

Here's why.

The cases where a person dies “of pot” are usually false. As stated, the amount of THC it takes to kill a person is enormous. When a person dies because they've overdoes on pot, the pot has usually been laced with something far more dangerous that their body couldn't handle. Like, suppose a person smoked 3 or 4 joints - which is not unheard of. Let's just say for arguments sake they're smoking said pot, at home, but that they bought this pot off of a guy they don't know. Or that they do know the guy, but he got it from a different source, and this particular batch was laces with crack, or PCP? That means he's overdosed on something else he wouldn't have OD'ed on if the pot were bought from a source that was regulated.

See - if we legalize pot, and regulate it, the way we do cigarettes and alcohol, then we can make sure that people who smoke up aren't going to get a batch laced with a more dangerous substance.

The argument that if we legalize it then usage will increase is absurd - people don't not smoke pot because illegal, they don't do it because they don't want to.

Sure - immediately after legalization, usage will increase by people who are curious, and because it's a novetly, but then you'll see it even out.

…more when I get back on.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Aurora Moon at 8:26PM, March 5, 2007
(offline)
yeah. if it was legalized, I still wouldn't want to smoke pot…

just like how I don't believe in smoking ciggerates, achchol, and all those other recreational drugs.

and I know there are alot of people out there that's just like me.. don't smoke anything, don't drink at all… so I doubt that the majority of people would go “ooh!! it's legal now! let's go smoke it and stuff!!”

if people seriously believed that, then they don't have much faith in humanity.

and yeah, I do agree the cases of people dying from pot would be false.. or they ommited imporant parts, such as the pot was laced with something else.
like I've heard of some drug-dealer lacing pot with stuff that you would find under your sink (cleaning agents, etc). things that he put in to make the pot seem like it had more bulk to it. And a lot of his customers died as an result because of that. He was arrested.

now if it was regulated then people wouldn't feel like they needed to trust guys like that, and instead get it from offical sources, like an doctor.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
edinmiami at 4:56AM, March 6, 2007
(offline)
Everything is fine the way it is.
America will stay the course and nothing will change via the laws. The reason, the people in charge of America right now, and at least for the next 20 years will maintain the same stance on the leagalization of marijuana. All those in the Senate, Congress and of course the President. They all lean on the conservative side. So think “Leave it to Beaver” style morals. Everything “G” rated all the time. And the lobyists that help sway the politicians all lean to that same side. If you look at those that are for the leagalization of pot, there are no credable looking spokespeople that can sway the majority of voters in the country. Media is king in America, and if you don't have a believable faceperson to sway the masses, then it's just not going to happen.
The sad fact, if the leagalization vote came up, the majority of voters who actaully get out of their homes and take the time to litterally vote, those people wouldn't allow that law to pass.
You're just going to have to go to Amsterdam.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
SpANG at 8:27AM, March 6, 2007
(online)
Forgot about this thread. Heh.

Aurora Moon
yeah. if it was legalized, I still wouldn't want to smoke pot…

just like how I don't believe in smoking ciggerates, achchol, and all those other recreational drugs.

and I know there are alot of people out there that's just like me.. don't smoke anything, don't drink at all… so I doubt that the majority of people would go “ooh!! it's legal now! let's go smoke it and stuff!!”

You're right. I wouldn't either. I like my job, and I'd like to keep it.

I'm glad someone else has that POV though, despite certain claims that the only proponents of legalizing drugs are ones that want to “get high in their own house”. Which is about as dumb as saying “All women that are pro choice want to sleep around.” ;)

It's about the RIGHTS that a person should have to do whatever they want to their own body. It's about the BILLIONS of dollars we waste, every year, on the failing “war on drugs' that we could put towards education, health care, hospitals, you name it. It's about taking power away for the pushers, and curbing the voilence. If you make them legal, no one gets killed for them. If I am ‘selfish’ for thinking this way, so be it.

Will innocent people get hurt? Innocent people will get hurt whenever there are irresponsible people around. It doesn't matter the product.

And, yeah, I do get political. Because where will this end? The internet is slowly being considered a drug as well. When will that be illegal?

Just becaue illegalizing drugs is considered by a large part of the population as ”a good idea" it doesn't make it any less fascist.

You have one of three views here IMO:
1. Everything that may cause harm to people should be banned, because some people would be irresponsible about it.

2. Only drugs should be illegal, not alcohol or cigarettes - they are different.. uh, just because!

3. A person has the right to smoke or consume whatever they want, as long as they don't harm others. If they harm others, they go to jail.

Anyway, that's the way I see it.

“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
Radmetalmonk at 5:37AM, March 13, 2007
(online)
My take on the matter is thus. (This is based on the USA I take it)

Back in the day, when prohibition was down, it sparked organized crime and bootlegging (this was due to alcohol being illegal). People still drank none the less. The government probably banned it due to “morals” (which is bullshit, government and morals shouldn't really coexist…it's really biased) (note, I don't remember the exact reason why it was, so feel free to prove me wrong with facts…I'm sure I am wrong XD)

Anyways, so what good did that do? People still drank, but this time it was “illegal”. So MORE people now thought it was immoral. It's all morals now. Not only that, but now organized crime aka the mafia gains speed in American society.
Now, there really isn't as much organized crime, at least bootlegging inspired kinds. It's more of a terrorist thing now I suppose, even in the USA. Yes, some people still look down on alochol. But not so much now that their government says it's legal. Funny how that works. The same government that actually has a law about “freedom of speech” I was born with a voice, I intend to use it. (Although I guess that's why they have the law, but it should just be a given.)

Now let's look at weed.

I read somewhere a bit back the first time weed was introduced in a bad way on USA society was when some mormans brought it with them from mexico. The other mormans didn't like it one bit though, so you know, they did what people do and abused their religious powers to sway local governments.

But that's not really making a point, sorry I'm tired and sick…this post is poorly written.

Anyways, so weed is illegal. But people still smoke it. It's linked to poor morals because it's illegal as well (not saying that's the only reason it's looked down on). Weed is no more dangerous than alcohol (if dangerous at all) yet it's illegal.

Weed is known as a gateway drug, because it leads to other, more hardcore drugs. But also for other reasons…it's very relaxing, has little/no side effects (none for me at least ;], and is widely cheapily available. But one of the most important reasons for it being a gateway drug is that it's illegal. Therefore, someone uses this drug that doesn't really hurt them and then think, well shit I'm breaking the law why not try this other stuff. If it was legal, it wouldn't be as much of a gateway drug, if a gateway drug at all.

Next up, we got gang activity. I compare gangs to the bootleggers in the past with alcohol. Not saying all gangs though, but ones that are named gangs because of weed. The real reason they are deemed “gangs” is because weed is illegal.

Then you have the police having to crack down on weed, instead of “worse” drugs and actual violent crimes like rape and such. See, some blame violent crimes on weed. But the only reason they become criminals is because it's illegal. If it was legal, they wouldn't be already marked as a criminal. (sure, you can say that about anything right?). Not to mention all that weed prohibition republican bullshit doesn't pay for itself (sorry, biased political party statement…I'm a raving anarcho-communist, I don't do any political party really). All those “above the influence” crap commercials piss me off. I don't smoke weed because I want to be cool or fit in, I hate people who do that. Who brag about how great they are. It's just about having a good time. No, you don't need it to have a good time, but if you enjoy it and it doesn't hurt you or anyone else …do it I say. Just don't make it dictate your life. The only reason it does effect people's life is because it's deemed “immoral” and “illegal”.

QUICK EDIT:
Man…people are so crazy when it comes to living “healthy”. If you've got a paranoia about lung cancer, then you shouldn't smoke tobacco. If you've got a paranoia about having a heart attack, you probably shouldn't eat that big mac. If you have a paranoia about driving, you probably shouldn't drive. Life is an easy thing to lose. True, substances do hurt you but there are more things that hurt you that you go through everyday. If you're going to spend your life worried about these things though, you're pretty much dead in my book. It's fine not to drink, smoke, and such. I'd rather have some people do that, then do it and wet themselves over the thought of getting lung cancer. That closed mindedness (Yeah I know, I'm a hypocrite, I'm sure this whole post is very contradicting and biased…I could wright a better one on a better day probably) is terrible, hell it probably causes cancer. The human mind is cancer.

MORE EDITS YAY!:
Quote from someone (no disrespect, I copied and pasted it without using the quote button, and forgot your user ID).

The main point is: Legalizing marijuana will kill more innocent people; oppresses the poor; and will, at best, have a minor impact on the economy. Now tell me why someone's need to get high is more important than those 3 consequences of legalization?

You can't just SAY things like that and not have reasons to back them up. I read somewhere (yeah, really good reference I know…I swear though I read this) that a scientist did a test with chimps or something. He put them in a glass box and filled it with marijuana smoke. So much that they suffocated and died. Clearly, it isn't the weed that killed them. But he printed “facts” about weed into our health class books. Now now, you could take this as “OMG every fact could be bullshit” And yes, every fact could be bullshit…but being paranoid is stupid. You just have to check the sources.

Opressing the poor…hmm…the poor? I'm really bad in the area. How would legalization of weed opress the poor? Please explain sir!

Minor impact on the economy. This one I agree with more or less. The economy is really difficult to influence with the legalization of one product.

It's not a NEED to get high. I actually don't know anyone who is addicted to weed (not saying there are none, but it's not as common as you'd think). It's not a need, it's a choice. It's relaxing, a damn good sleep aid, and can spark some great conversations. Those reasons aren't my arguments though, just some opinions.

I agree with spang a lot here, it's no different than alcohol. It's a morals thing now, it really is. I don't know where people get em', probably religion (that's not a fact, disregard it. I don't want to get in to religion…eek) but they're generally wacky. If you're telling me that your government actually dictates your morals…then you're fucked over man! legalize it or not though, weed is still going to be smoked, and continue to kill no one directly. So really, no one gives much of a toss these days. Although frankly, I'm quite pissed at this random attack of the tobacco industry. Tobacco is addictive, as an avid user of it I know this well. I choose to smoke though, it's relaxing and well, just enjoyable…like eating your favorite food. Now, for no good reason, our right to smoke tobacco, something that's been legal for pretty much ever, is being attacked…do something useful for once. Yeah, I know, cancer 2nd smoke, oooooOOoooo. You can get cancer from the damn sun. We're all dying, so now my government is going to try and make it less enjoyable…I want to get the hell out of this country…

My opinion, after reading my arguments:
I have some more arguments, but damn…I'm just not myself today. The way I see it, weed should be like drinking. You can do it at your home and at bars or what not, as long as you are of age I suppose. But if you're driving or such, then it's a DUI. Because if you're driving while high, then you could hit someone who didn't do anything…an innocent. But if you're just out smoking a blunt in a club, what the hells the matter with that?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:59PM
subcultured at 6:24AM, March 13, 2007
(online)
you get high just being around the smoke of weed, so i would say it's the same as secondhand smoking.

i mean it's hard enough to tell people not to smoke in the house when there's a baby, what if you get 5 weed smokers and the smoke accumulate.

how are you gonna regulate the smoke?
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
reconjsh at 6:25AM, March 13, 2007
(online)
I'm sorry but “prohibition was bad” is not a valid arguement as people have made it so far.

There hasn't been any evidence provided that link the possible results of marijuana being illegal/legal to the results of alcohol being illegal/legal. And without evidence, your claim is a fallacy.

Can someone provide evidence for this?

People here have to give reasons why marijuana should be legal… the burdon of proof is on people making the assertion that it should be legal, not on the people who are on the other side of the debate.

So far we have:
Marijuana should be legal because alcohol and cigarettes are legal. Nice red herring - the legality of the drugs alcohol and cigarettes (or the internet) have nothing to do with the merits of legalizing marijuana. That's a different debate.

A person has the right to smoke or consume whatever they want, as long as they don't harm others. Evidence has been provided that indicates more people will be harmed with the legalization of marijuana verses it remaining illegal. This evidence has not been refuted.

Legalizing marijuana will save the US money. Governmental spending has nothing to do with the merits of marijuana legalization. That's a different debate… not to mention it's a premise that has not been agreed to.

Our forefathers grew weed. This isn't valid because Argumentum ad antiquitatem - just because something is old or used to be a certain way doesn't make it a valid arguement.

Have I missed any?

Radmetalmonk at 6:42AM, March 13, 2007
(online)
That's a very good point subcultured. If I didn't want to be high, and there were a bunch of people smoking bongs outside of a bar and I got high, I'd be pretty pissed. (although personally, I've never been high from 2nd hand smoke…you'd really have to suck that shit in…not saying it's impossible, especially for lightweights like infants). They'd probably have to have some stupid law like you can't smoke within blahbity blah feet of someone who doesn't smoke, which sound ridiculous. Again, that's a great point.

reconjsh
So far we have:
Marijuana should be legal because alcohol and cigarettes are legal. Nice red herring - the legality of the drugs alcohol and cigarettes (or the internet) have nothing to do with the merits of legalizing marijuana. That's a different debate.
True, while the debate is not about these things they are similar circumstances (except the internet…it's not a substance it a means of communicating ideas). Both alcohol and weed are intoxicants. One is legal, one is not. Why? Well shit, I don't have any good reason why. The USA government has always been pretty iffy. The debate isn't over why these things (alcohol, cigarettes…internet) are legal or not legal, clearly everyone who has posted knows this. They're examples of why weed should be legal. You can't shut out points of an argument. Things aren't always that black and white.

reconjsh
A person has the right to smoke or consume whatever they want, as long as they don't harm others. Evidence has been provided that indicates more people will be harmed with the legalization of marijuana verses it remaining illegal. This evidence has not been refuted.
Please, show me this “evidence”. In the example of someone smoking, and no one is being harmed, legal or illegal, then…what the hell is the problem? The point is that you have the RIGHT to do it as long as it doesn't harm others. Key point being, it doesn't harm others. It's a contradiction saying that if it's legal then more people will be harmed (If no one is being harmed in the first place, why would it matter if it was legal or not. I'm not saying in the big picture, but some guy smoking a joint in his living room. No one is being harmed, whether it's legal or not).

reconjsh
Legalizing marijuana will save the US money. Governmental spending has nothing to do with the merits of marijuana legalization. That's a different debate… not to mention it's a premise that has not been agreed to.
Argh…once again, it's a reason for legalization. Then what is the debate? Government spending is affected if weed is legalized. Therefore, one is entitled to bring it up in the argument.

reconjsh
Our forefathers grew weed. This isn't valid because Argumentum ad antiquitatem - just because something is old or used to be a certain way doesn't make it a valid arguement.
I agree here. Who cares who grew weed. If you let people in the past dictate what you do today, at least with someone semi personally like smoking weed, then you're not living your own life.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:59PM
slimredninja at 9:39AM, April 22, 2007
(online)
To bad i missed out on this topic when it was still hot. Anyone who advocates weed stay illegal to help out the poor is living a insular life of suburban ignorance. I know lots of people who smoke weed and function very well within society. The most danger to weed being illegal is to the poor. It gives police a reason to jail other wise upstanding citizens who cant afford decent legal representation. It also contributes to higher crime rates in urban centers. One of the most unfair practices of marijuana prohibition is that poor mothers who go to inner city hospitals are tested for weed if they have used it and it does stay in your system for a long time then they are in immediate danger of losing their children. This practice is not followed in upscale neighborhoods or if it is the people generally have a family doctor who will not report it. Im talking from experience in my line of work i talk to a lot of mothers from both backgrounds and what is a funny antedote to the rich and middleclass …oh i had to smoke a joint to relax before my child was born is an urban tragedy to the poor…I lost my son because i hit a joint to ease my contractions. Wake up people weed is far safer then alcohol or cigarettes no doubt about and is continuously shown to have little or no harm. Alcohol and cigarette companies are the major contributors to the war on drugs which is a war on our citizens. Legalize it and put the money towards fighting real dangers like meth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
ccs1989 at 9:50AM, April 22, 2007
(online)
reconjsh
Pot legalization will serve to perpetuate poverty, low-expectations, crime, ignorance, poor education, etc… within the lower classes of American society. It won't effect most of ‘us’ - the educated middle class. We can use drugs and exist reasonably well within society, but the social impact on the bottom class of citizen will be tremendous and must be a guiding factor in our decisions to legalize drugs; NOT our selfish desires to ‘get high in our own house’.

Like the lower “class” of American society doesn't already know where to get drugs anyway? How will making it legal affect the bottom class any more than it does now? It's not like just because pot is legal groccery stores are gonna start carrying it.

http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Atom Apple at 10:42AM, April 22, 2007
(online)
I actually heard on the History Channel that marijuana was outlawed as an excuse to arrest Mexican immigrants long ago. If anything should be illegal it should be tobacco because of the harm second-hand smoke creates.
SarahN at 12:14PM, April 22, 2007
(online)
I think people make too big a deal out of Marijuana. There are much worse drugs….and people get ahold of it all the time anyway.

I can't believe I saw on the news that this woman with cancer got in trouble for having medicinal marijuana. For gods sake, the woman's in pain and it's helping her fight! Let her have the damned pot! And in the end I don't think they let her keep it either…poor lady.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Alexis at 1:12PM, April 22, 2007
(offline)
The problem with the campaign to legalize pot is that potheads are not the most motivated group of people in the world, and if they try and fight to legalize it then the cops might find their stash. What they need to do is capitalize on politicians desire to compromise, potheads need to march on Washington chanting “Legalize Heroin.” and then haggle their way down to pot.

One serious thought, though. In America it is getting more and more difficult to smoke cigarettes. Cities accross the country are making it illegal in bars and resteraunts, private clubs and resorts are banning it on their properties, even outdoors, and most apartment buildings are banning it indoors. Second hand cigarrette smoke is certainly unpleasant and not good for you, but inhaling second hand smoke will not put you in an altered state the way being around marajuanna smoke will.
My overall thought is, even if it was legalized it would be difficult to find a place to smoke it. Every place that banns cigaette smoke would ban it and then some. If it was legalized I think it would be relegated to pot bars and private residences, but not apartments, townhouses, or condos, or any other residence where your neighbors could smell it and complain to anyone. Also there would need to be a system of regulations set up for marajuana, just like there is for tobacco, and it would probably have to be grown domestically under close scrutiny, like tobacco.

One thing, though. For medicinal reasons, and I don't really know the pros and cons of using pot versus using other medications, there are medicinal marajuanna inhalers being developed in the UK, so people would be able to use it safely as a perscription drug without having to worry about all that smoking stuff I just talked about
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
reconjsh at 1:44PM, April 22, 2007
(online)
Medicinal marijuana is a joke. Argue the merits of marijuana legalization apart from its possible “medicinal” uses.

1) The Doctor's creed includes “do no harm”. Smoke inhaliation causes cancer and this is no longer seriously debated by the medical professional field. Marijuana contains many cancer-causing substances, many of which are present in higher concentrations in marijuana than in tobacco. Prescribing marijuana would be prescribing lung cancer. Doctor's shouldn't do so.

Unless there was something marijuana could “cure” that other medicines couldn't. Right?

Well, there isn't anything.

2) Marijuana doesn't cure or aid any ailment that a synthetic drug can't already do.

http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Mar/3/129051.html - I repost this link. Enjoy.

Please argue marijuana for regular population usage and NOT medicinal uses. It's a smoke screen for people's recreational desires. And as I've showed repeatedly in this thread, it's a very poorly contrived smoke screen.

As for legalization for eveyone to use? I'd rather work towards making alcohol and tobacco ILLEGAL for everyone. ;)
ccs1989 at 2:48PM, April 22, 2007
(online)
Making tobacco illegal wouldn't do anything. People would still get it, and then you'd get more people filling up prisons and costing the feds more money. The best way to fight drugs is through education.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Phantom Penguin at 3:02PM, April 22, 2007
(offline)
Damn you recon! You will take my hooch away from my cold dead hands!
:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 12:09AM, April 23, 2007
(online)
Doing drugs is a personal choice, even if it's a bad choice. I think it's hilarious that there are some addictive drugs that are a-ok in the minds of lawmakers (tobacco and alcohol)but “omg marijuana, never!” what defines where the imaginary line between “ok” and “not ok” is?
I actually think that all drugs should be legal. Especially pot, since it's a very tame drug. Because you know what, if someone wants to fuck up their life by being an addict, well, they should have the liberty to do so. and if someone wants some recreational opium, why not?
(and this is why I'll never be a politician, :kitty:!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Atom Apple at 3:33PM, April 23, 2007
(online)
I agree with Kristen, but not in public because second-hand smoke is actually more dangerous than the actual drugs.
Phantom Penguin at 4:47PM, April 23, 2007
(offline)
Kristen Gudsnuk
Doing drugs is a personal choice, even if it's a bad choice. I think it's hilarious that there are some addictive drugs that are a-ok in the minds of lawmakers (tobacco and alcohol)but “omg marijuana, never!” what defines where the imaginary line between “ok” and “not ok” is?
I actually think that all drugs should be legal. Especially pot, since it's a very tame drug. Because you know what, if someone wants to fuck up their life by being an addict, well, they should have the liberty to do so. and if someone wants some recreational opium, why not?
(and this is why I'll never be a politician, :kitty:!)

I agree with you here. Because as long as no one is driving or killing eachother (which are both covered by other laws) it is a victimless crime at the moment. It only hurts the people who choose to do it. So let them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved