Media Megaforum

Leno/O'Brien: Kimmel
PhilWrede at 8:49AM, Jan. 13, 2010
(offline)
Now, it's certainly been said by a few people that there's no reason anyone should be paying attention to two millionaires crying about what time their shows get to air every night, but I'm a big fan of Conan's, and have never been particularly enthralled with Leno's inability to ever grow his comedy, so I've been a little too wrapped up in this story (NBC bumping Conan and Fallon back to keep Leno's show on, only later). Last night, Jimmy Kimmel did his entire show in Leno makeup, and he did a pretty brilliantly terrible Leno impersonation. I'm a big believer in committing to the joke, and I think Jimmy did it quite well:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/120279/jimmy-kimmel-live-tue-jan-12-2010

I realize this won't work for anyone outside of the good ol' U.S. of A., but hey, I tried, right?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Hawk at 9:40AM, Jan. 13, 2010
(online)
I pretty much agree with you. I don't like Leno. I used to. But for the last several years I've felt that he's a little too self-absorbed and not very funny. He would always go for the easy jokes (celebrity slander or whatever sports team is currently losing). Conan taking Leno's spot was something I eagerly looked forward to.

Plus, I really like both Conan and Andy Richter. Having them in the Tonight Show slot seemed ideal. I wish they could just stay there. And they should! Leno moved out of the timeslot because he wanted to be on an earlier show… it doesn't make sense to move him back there. And Conan's doing a much better job than Leno ever did.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
ozoneocean at 10:36AM, Jan. 13, 2010
(online)
I've read about that… That's pretty hard on Conan. I enjoyed his show for years here on cable TV (in Australia), back when I still watched TV. I always preferred him over Leno. Leno was a nice guy, but as Hawk said- he went for the easy targets way too much and his stuff was always so safe, whereas Conan was a lot cleverer and naughtier. He has a younger appeal…

Still remember Camel-toe Annie with a great deal of affection… and all those other characters… Masturbating bear etc.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
PhilWrede at 10:54AM, Jan. 13, 2010
(offline)
I always thought Conan should've taken over for Dave on the Late Show. Their humor (and therefore their audiences) seem much more in line with one another.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
kingofsnake at 2:20PM, Jan. 13, 2010
(online)
It's just a terrible decision NBC made.

It makes Leno look like the bad guy and he probably had nothing to do with it.

And I don't even like Leno, I will shut off the tv rather than watch Leno.

The biggest problem Conan has is he's up against DailyShow/ColbertReport. That's his key audience, so on any given day it's split between the two shows. I think if they start incorporating online viewership into the rating structure, Conan would be doing a LOT better.

I was so happy to have Andy Richter back on Conan, it brought back fond memories of sneaking out of my room to watch Conan while my dad was watching it when I was a kid. Now it looks like we're going to lose both :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved