Drunk Duck Awards

Let's Start This Up Again!
Terminal at 9:41PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
Okay, instead of picking the categories first, judges and all that stuff, we first have to decide the basic ground. Give it a solid foundation and more. The previous attempt started up to quickly and fell apart.

Right now, I'm asking for volunteers, people that will look and decide what's good and what's bad, a panel of some sort. Not for awards, but for the actual picking of the categories and general discussion of awards and whatnot. If you are interested in this and will not back down or fade away, by all means post in this thread.

Volunteer, or don't.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
FAL at 10:48AM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
I do, count me in!
This award thing looks very promising I'd like to take part in it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
fern at 3:27PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Since I practically shower while I'm on DD (metaphorically speaking) you know I'm in.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
subcultured at 9:15PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
keep it simple

best comic book
best comic strip
best art
best story
best character

best fantasy
best sci-fi
best real life
best horror
best humor
best drama/noir

here's an idea on how to poll it:
each mod/admin should pick 10 people to poll secretly through PQ (so there won't be any bad feelings) of the 5 best choices given in that category
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
FAL at 7:27AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
I think first of all we need to decide what the actual “award” will be.

- Is a section going to be created to showcase the awarded comics on the main page permanently?
- Will some icon be added to the winners comic thumbnail to show they've received an award?
- etc.
FAL at 7:48AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Regarding the categories for a start I would suggest the following (I separated them in categories so you could see which is my reasoning):

By overall
—————
- Best comic book
- Best comic strip

By skill
—————
- Best pencil/ink
- Best color
- Best writing

By other/popular
—————
- Best character
- Best story

By genre
—————
- As in Drunk Duck's genre list
or simplifying as subcultured suggests

Terminal at 9:49AM, March 18, 2007
(online)
FAL
I think first of all we need to decide what the actual “award” will be.

- Is a section going to be created to showcase the awarded comics on the main page permanently?
- Will some icon be added to the winners comic thumbnail to show they've received an award?
- etc.

The award would probably be a little gif that you can put on your page (ala, Evil Emperor Awards of past time), maybe some kind of reward from Platinum Studio like some swag? (pens, shirts, comic books, things like that.) The section thing that showcases all the comics would be a fantastic, maybe on a separate page like the games section. Kinda like the featured section, only these don't change until the next awards.

The little icon thing sounds great! Maybe on the main page there should be a small section, small but noticeable, that goes somewhere under the Featured section, that way winners get as much recognition as Featured comics.

These are great idea, FAL.
FAL at 10:19AM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
That sound great.
Maybe it could even be neatly organized in Search & browse so you would have:

Most Read Stories
———————
Recently Updated Stories
———————
Awarded stories
———————

This would be too much, as this list would not be updated in a while, but if the list were to pop up only after you clicked over “Awarde Stories” it could blend in nicely without taking much space.

Just an idea.

I think some exposure is the best award a fellow comic maker could get. It sure beats the crap out of getting a shirt don't you think?
:)
Terminal at 1:15AM, March 19, 2007
(online)
FAL
That sound great.
Maybe it could even be neatly organized in Search & browse so you would have:

Most Read Stories
———————
Recently Updated Stories
———————
Awarded stories
———————

This would be too much, as this list would not be updated in a while, but if the list were to pop up only after you clicked over “Awarde Stories” it could blend in nicely without taking much space.

Just an idea.

Something like this?

FAL9000
I think some exposure is the best award a fellow comic maker could get. It sure beats the crap out of getting a shirt don't you think?
:)

It does, but it'll be a nice touch. :)
FAL at 11:54AM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
Oh, sorry! I was thinking about the main page not search & browse (although your mock-up is a great idea)
Something like this:

(I really don't know how to post a pic!)

***modedit***
post the pic adress and click the box up there
-Subcultured

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved