Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Lettering: making curved pointers in Photoshop
DAJB at 1:44AM, Oct. 3, 2010
(online)
A lot of web-comickers use Photoshop for making speech balloons, but are frustrated that it only seems to be possible to make the balloons' pointers with straight lines. Well, it's not.

It is possible to make curved pointers with Photoshop but, if you look for help online, you'll probably just find lots of people advising you to buy Adobe Illustrator instead. Now, I'm sure it's a lot easier in Illustrator (it must be; everyone says so!) but, you know, not everyone has the cash to just go out and buy a whole new program just for this.

So, for anyone who's already got Photoshop and doesn't want to buy Illustrator, here's how to make curved pointers for your speech balloons in Photoshop.

Hope it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
skoolmunkee at 2:21AM, Oct. 3, 2010
(online)
Ages ago I also made a quick 2-page (images) tutorial about making speech ballons in photoshop, including a little bit about how to make a curved callout. I'm not sure where it is now. There was a comic account someone was uploading them all to.

Your method differs from mine though, it's probably more precise. Mine was basically using the elliptical selection tool, then ‘subtracting’ another elliptical selection to create a selected crescent. Then filling that in with white. (Stroke makes the outline.)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
DAJB at 3:30AM, Oct. 3, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
Ages ago I also made a quick 2-page (images) tutorial about making speech ballons in photoshop, including a little bit about how to make a curved callout. I'm not sure where it is now. There was a comic account someone was uploading them all to.
That'll be this one, I guess!

That's a very clever work-around. This seems to be such a widespread problem, I'm surprised there aren't more tutorials for it. Anyway, we now know there are at least two ways to tackle the problem!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Genejoke at 11:08AM, Oct. 3, 2010
(online)
here is a short and simple video tutorial for doing it in gimp, I assume anyone watching it knows the basics. No layers or anything involved, I assume most people doing comics knows about those already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ij-14AGLCw

I sound awful in it, I have a cold at the moment.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
ozoneocean at 4:30AM, Oct. 11, 2010
(online)
Genejoke
I sound awful in it, I have a cold at the moment.
You sound fine. You should submit that to Wowio TV!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved