Random Discussion

Liquid Water Recently Seen on Mars
subcultured at 10:14AM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/02/090218-water-mars-phoenix.html

Someone
Strange globs seen on the landing strut of the Phoenix Mars lander could be the first proof that modern Mars hosts liquid water, a new paper reports.

Images from the robotic craft show what appear to be liquid droplets growing, merging, and dripping on the lander's leg over the course of a Martian month.

Phoenix landed near Mars's north pole last May, and several “self portraits” taken to assess the craft's health show material spattered on the legs.

This substance is probably saline mud that splashed up as the craft landed, study leader and Phoenix co-investigator Nilton Renno of the University of Michigan told National Geographic News.

Salt in the mud then absorbed water vapor from the atmosphere, forming the watery drops, Renno said.

The water can stay liquid even in the frigid Martian arctic because it contains a high amount of perchlorates, a salt “with properties like the antifreeze used to melt snow here in Michigan,” said Renno, who will present the work next month at the 40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference.

Finding liquid water under these conditions carries possible implications for Mars's habitability, the scientists say.

Dripping And Shrinkage

Renno admits that the images showing droplets are not high enough resolution to examine small details.

He also notes that instruments on board Phoenix meant to look for liquid water near the surface didn't find anything.

But he and his team are convinced that what they are seeing matches the behavior of liquid water.

“As it cooled down toward the end of the mission and we're seeing the formation of frost everywhere, the drops almost disappear,” he said.

"This is consistent with drops freezing and losing water to the atmosphere as it gets colder.“

What's more, the images suggest one of the largest globs started to drip down the lander's leg when it got bigger than about 0.4 inch (a centimeter) wide.

”Before it drips it becomes dark, and that's consistent with ice melting,“ said Renno, referring to the fact that ice is more reflective than liquid water.

Salty Brew

It's certainly possible that liquid water could exist at least fleetingly on the Martian surface, said Nicholas Tosca, a geochemist at Harvard University who was not involved in the study.

With perchlorate present, Tosca agrees Mars could support liquid water even down to -94 degrees Fahrenheit (-70 degrees Celsius)—close to the lowest possible temperature around the lander's legs at the time the images were taken.

But daily temperatures fluctuate greatly on Mars, so even very salty water would probably go through cycles of freezing and melting. Liquids therefore wouldn't be present for very long periods of time, he said.

Study leader Renno thinks that the drops seen on Phoenix were liquid during the warmest part of the day but partially froze at night.

Overall, Tosca said, the paper makes a plausible case for liquid water on Mars, ”but the nature of the water … doesn't bode well for life.“

(Read more about Tosca's findings that water on early Mars would have been too toxic for life.)

Even if a layer of liquid does persist deep under Mars's surface, it wouldn't be very hospitable, he said.

”If you make the case that life could have started on Mars and could be hiding out somewhere,“ Tosca said, ”it's not likely to be in this cold, salty water."

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
kyupol at 2:08PM, Feb. 20, 2009
(offline)
What if we originally came from mars?
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
HippieVan at 2:29PM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)
kyupol

Where did that come from?
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
kyupol at 4:41PM, Feb. 20, 2009
(offline)
Hippie Van
kyupol

Where did that come from?

http://www.enterprisemission.com/spirit2.htm

http://www.marsanomalyresearch.com/evidence-directories/3-civilization/civilization-directory.htm

Note: Those two above links mostly show rocks. To me, some of them look “natural”. Because if you spend all day looking at pictures of rocks, your imagination might kick in and make you see what you want to see.

But who knows…

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
HippieVan at 4:54PM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)
Some rocks that are shaped a bit like things we know aren't enough to make me think that there have ever been humans on Mars. There is a brick on the side of our house that looks like a pig's head, but I would never think that a pig lived there.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
BffSatan at 7:22PM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)
Holy crap! Is that a storm trooper?!?!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Product Placement at 8:41PM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)
Wow…. that guy who owns that site is REALLY trying to prove that there's ruins on mars. Every single picture includes a BA thesis in why he's right.

I mean.. look at this wall of text just for this single photo. http://www.marsanomalyresearch.com/evidence-reports/2000/001/real-smoking-gun.htm
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
herio at 12:34AM, Feb. 21, 2009
(online)
i think we send a some kind off very hot thing to melt the ice get the ball rloling

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Rickswan at 6:29PM, Feb. 25, 2009
(online)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
bravo1102 at 10:22PM, Feb. 25, 2009
(online)
herio
i think we send a some kind off very hot thing to melt the ice get the ball rloling

Algae will do the job nicely. It will just take a few milion years but they terra-formed one planet it's certain they can do it again.

And please let's not bring up Richard C. Hoagland. Humans naturally create recognizable patterns in everything. They don't tell you that the rock is less than a few inches wide.

And the original face on Mars looks nothing like a face. But then when it was re-photographed there was plenty of time in between for the conspiracy to have reconfigured the imaginary terrain. After all a previous Mars satillite was destroyed by aliens because it was about to reveal that Mars' moons were artificial. I read this stuff too. You'll have to do better. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Product Placement at 4:06AM, Feb. 26, 2009
(online)
I've read couple of Terra-forming hypothesis to make Mars a living blue planet like Earth but there are many complications and one fundamental problem that they never address. Mars lacks a magnetic field, meaning that all life that doesn't live in protected domes are under risk from dangerous space radiation. A proposed lunar colony will have a giant magnetic field around it's base to protect the inhabitants from those effects. Additionally the solar winds will just blow the new atmosphere away like it did with the old one.

And now they point out that Martian soil makes the water heavily saturated in minerals causing it to be unsustainable for life. At least life like the one found on Earth. I'd like nothing more then to see Mars transformed into an alternative world for us to live. With two planets, our survival chances doubles in case of supervolcano erupting or an asteroid wiping out all life on Earth. However, at least with our current technological understanding, the procedure is so long that mankind might not be around by the time it's finished. It might be simply faster to half ass Terraform it and design a new form of life that's capable of surviving in this harsh environment (not that it would benefit us really unless we really like playing gods or if were trying to build an of world farm. It would also be faster to construct massive space stations capable of housing and sustaining thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people. Using centripetal force, gravity could be simulated where people live in enormous tubes, where they are capable of walking along the inside of it.

Ah yes, gravity. That reminds me of the gravity difference between Earth and Mars. Something that weighs 100 Kg/lbs on Earth(doesn't matter which measurement you use for this example) would only weigh 38 Kg/lbs on Mars. The long term effects of living in an environment like that would drastically affect our muscular and bone structure, making life in places with heavier gravity difficult, if not impossible.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
bravo1102 at 3:23AM, Feb. 27, 2009
(online)
Certain types of bacteria and fungus could survive on Mars, but then why would we want to put it there if it takes a few million years to terraform the planet. By then our species will have long since become extinct or have seeded the stars etc. Aw heck we'll have warp drive before long. Zephram Cochrane is in his teens now.

Product placement you ever read Man After Man? It's by the guy who did “After Man” etc and one of future human species postulated is one evolved (bred) to live in low gravity and low oxygen.

Personaly I'm disappointed we didn't find ERB's Barsoom when we landed on Mars. Or Marvin Martian with his Pewtonium U238 :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Product Placement at 4:59AM, Feb. 27, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
Product placement you ever read Man After Man? It's by the guy who did “After Man” etc and one of future human species postulated is one evolved (bred) to live in low gravity and low oxygen.

While I have not specifically read that book, I have read many texts on transhumanism. It is possible to live in zero g environment but living in such conditions will make it impossible for us to return to live on planets. We'd virtually become children of the stars, drifting in the cosmos. Heck, I'd bet some future religions will consider Earth to be the Old Eden we were cast out, unable to return.

Raymond Kurzweil has written many theories on how technology will change us in near future. He fundamentally believes that we'd reach a state of immortality by 2050. He predicts the coming of the singularity (when computers will be able to create more complex computers which in return can build even more complex computers) and believes that by then the average human (at least in the developed worlds) will be so linked up with the technology that human consciousness and AI will be harder to distinguish between. Basically we'll become computers and computers will become us, a merger of the two.

Who knows, maybe as living computers we'll be able to find faster ways to terraform the galaxy like nothing too it…. and turn a whole arm of the galaxy into a giant minigolf course.

Edit: Oh cool. They're making a documentary about Kurzweil. http://transcendentman.com/
Another Edit: 8D And their making a movie after one of his books. http://singularity.com/themovie/
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved