Media Megaforum

Live Versus Studio.
Terminal at 11:38AM, July 21, 2007
(online)
It's a hard choice, but which do you guys prefer? A live recording of some song by said artist, or the studio version of the said song by the very said band? I stand on the very edge of this very question, seeing as how sometimes the studio version is bounds better than when played live. The same vice versa.

For example, the studio version of Crush by the Dave Matthews Band is always better than the live version of the same song, the live version is always so…uninteresting.

(…except this one.)

Whereas the live version of Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam is way better than the studio version of the very same song. Also, the live version is always changing.

Now, sometimes it's hard to tell. Case and point with Sympathy for the Devil by The Rolling Stones and the classic Rock and Roll Circus recording. Along with the studio version of Jane Says by Jane's Addiction.

Sometimes, the song just sounds the same, like Changes by Blind Melon.

…anyway, post some videos, dammnit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
Hawk at 9:32PM, July 21, 2007
(online)
I tend to enjoy the studio-recorded songs more. It seems like the live recordings are trying to simulate the energy and spontaneity of an actual concern, but they still don't give me the feeling of actually being there. Plus I feel like live recordings lack the rich balance and careful adjustments that a studio recording can provide.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
mlai at 4:08AM, July 22, 2007
(online)
What I really can't stand with many live recordings is when they try to embellish the song, such as adding additional guitar riffs while the lead singer introduces the band member, or having a choir where there wasn't before, or having the audience clap or sing along.

The song loses its original intent and purity.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
ozoneocean at 5:42AM, July 22, 2007
(online)
I would say that it depends on the quality of the recording. Sometimes the live version is better than the studio one because it does have more life and energy. I'm not a fan of any new bands but i can imagine that being more true now than ever before since with the days of digital recording and studio music being so HYPER over produced these days to sound so clean and clinical it'd be lovely to hear the same sounds with life in them instead of sounding like a human machine recording…

I have some folk music recordings from the 70s and 80s by Robin Williamson and John Renbourne, and the two live albums I've got by them (one of the John Renbourne group and one of Renbourne and Williamson together) are the best of the lot because not only is the recording quality extremely good, but the audience feedback drives them to give better performances.

In the case of pop music it's the same deal. But I have to say that WATCHING the performance helps make the live recording sound better. I have both live and studio versions of Rammstien performing “Spiel Mit Mir”, and I didn't look twice at the live recording until I watched that same performance on DVD, now I prefer the live version! ^_^

But, as with the folk music, pop music can stand on it's own in a live recording without needing to watch it. I've got a few different live recordings of “Jane Says” by Jane's addiction and I have to say they they improve upon the studio version with the extra life and flourish they bring to that melancholic meaningful pop song.

Lastly, there's not much substitute for watching the band perform live in front of you. Having seen the Cruel Sea perform their “better get a Lawyer” live was brilliant! The best version I've ever heard of that song, it made me actually like it, when I'd never bothered with it before. But seeing the Rolling Stones perform all their big hits at the same show wasn't quite the same, they were competing with their recorded versions really… But then after so many decades doing those same track it's not surprising they couldn't put the same energy into a song as a younger band who hadn't gotten tired of their own material yet.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Bekefel at 6:36PM, July 22, 2007
(offline)
Termy
Whereas the live version of Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam is way better than the studio version of the very same song. Also, the live version is always changing.

My god I love you.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved