Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Looking for new CG Coloring tips
kaminari at 3:53PM, Aug. 22, 2006
(online)
Hi everyone !!

Im looking for some excellent info on photoshop coloring. (well, actually I use paint shop pro X, but theyre so much alike that it doesnt matter.)
By that I mean, a good, easy to follow tutorial and possibly a link to some addons that I can install for better effects. (but nothing too flashy)

I can color decently as I am currently (coloring on a layer then highlighting it), but Im growing more and more unhappy with the results because I feel I could do much better.

A a good quick example of what my stuff looks like now is my avatar.

Thanks for an suggestions on improvement !

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
KamiDaHobo at 4:14PM, Aug. 22, 2006
(offline)
By chance, what kind of style would you prefer to go after? Or would you just like to tighten up the technique you're already accustomed to? This way, we'll be better able to aid you within the confines of that particular style.

For instance, I'm not bad at softer, more gritty, almost watercolor-esque presentation, which is done by using a larger brush, set at a much lower opacity, and ‘building up’.

This is also key to getting realistic faces. Different sized brushes, set at varying opacities, does the trick wonderfully.
stardusty at 4:48PM, Aug. 22, 2006
(online)
Don't ever shade with an airbrush tool. At least not just the airbrush tool. This is something I see so much, especially in beginner's. It's the quickest way to look cheap and obviously cg'd.

I used to know some good tutorials, but my tutorials bookmarks folder has mysteriously vanished.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
suzi at 4:53PM, Aug. 22, 2006
(online)
stardusty
Don't ever shade with an airbrush tool. At least not just the airbrush tool. This is something I see so much, especially in beginner's. It's the quickest way to look cheap and obviously cg'd.

Whenever I do CG art, I do all my shading with vectors. Granted, I'm not very good at CGing because I don't do it often, but I think the crispness of using vectors fits with my style and whatnot. I don't know if that's at all a good tip for what you're trying to accomplish, kaminari, but I tried. Heh.

Here's an example of how the vector shading looks:

Again, I don't know if it's what you're after, but if you want more specifics I can supply them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
stardusty at 5:03PM, Aug. 22, 2006
(online)
Suzi's style is pretty great. I'm not sure how she personally does it, but I call it cell-shading. My comic Clear sort of did that. Here's something I did recently:

I used a program called OpenCanvas 3.0, which is basically photoshop light. I pretty much just used a bajillion multiply and addition layers to get varying layers of shading. (I'm not sure what they're called in photoshop. Possibly burn and dodge? I dunno.) For this one I drew with the watercolor tool and then blurred much of it so it looks relatively seamless.

Also, varying the transparancies of layers can do neat things.
kaminari at 12:06AM, Aug. 23, 2006
(online)
Thanks for those bits of info !

While Im not really a beginner and my coloring is fine as it is, I just want it to look more smooth and retain that kind of anime-ish look. I dunno, its really hard to describe what I want.. Maybe Im even thinking more of flash-ish stuff.

here's a more recent page of one of my comics:

What suggestions could you give me to improve the coloring (and I mean JUST the coloring) ? Or also, what tutorials can I look at for a varying way to color?

(And yeah, there's a mistake on the bottom with the red.. I just noticed it)

suzi at 6:23AM, Aug. 23, 2006
(online)
Hmm, your coloring looks pretty darn good, but I think I understand what you're looking for. It looks like you do a lot of your shading and whatnot with soft brushes, I can't tell if they're actually different colors or if you're using a touch up brush or something to change the base color. What I would suggest, besides finding a good tutorial (can't help you there, more clueless than you are), is to use hard brushes and cut out the undefinable inbetween colors that pop up when you use soft brushes. That way you'll get a more clean-cut look, though it might be really awkward at first.

Uhhh I'm really not qualified to give advice on this ): Good luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
KamiDaHobo at 8:47AM, Aug. 23, 2006
(offline)
You have a very good grasp on color, but the thing that will literally skyrocket your art is an understanding of general lighting techniques.

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Give that a very good look, and you'll notice your understanding of lights, and lighting principles, to get 200% better overnight. Lighting, in my opinion, is the ‘underdog’ of art, a technique that will give you nearly instant results the moment it ‘clicks’.

It will take a while to fully understand, don't worry, but once you do, it's very worthwhile. :D
skoolmunkee at 11:07PM, Aug. 23, 2006
(online)
I'd suggest that you use more contrast. Your coloring and shading is very light and kind of weak. Try coloring a page your usual way and then coloring it without being afraid of making the shadowy areas much darker- you will see a huge difference.

Also, it looks like you might just be using a darker shade- just make sure you don't use burn or dodge. Try using a multiply layer (set at a lower percentage) with a different color. Use a blue instead of grey, use purple to shadow skin, etc.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
stardusty at 2:52AM, Aug. 24, 2006
(online)
Yes, I agree with Skoolmunkee. Judging by that comic page, you definatley could use some more contrast. But all these little tips and tricks will never look right unless you study lighting in real life. And always make sure you have a light source and aren't just throwing shadows into all the crevices.
kaminari at 3:03PM, Aug. 24, 2006
(online)
kaminari
Im looking for some excellent info on photoshop coloring.
By that I mean, a good, easy to follow tutorial and possibly a link to some

Thanks guys, but really I was hoping for a link to a highly informative tutorial ^^;
Because I want to do something…. different…

stardusty at 1:17AM, Aug. 25, 2006
(online)
Ok I've totally found one of the tutorials that helped me a ton. I had to zip it and upload it to my yahoo briefcase because it's a huge file. Here it is: http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3fbb11bb_6302/bc/tutorial.zip?bfuar7EBhoU6KZyZ
Sissy Samurai at 2:59AM, Sept. 25, 2006
(offline)
The only tip I can give you is to lower both the opacity and the flow of the brush. Lowering the flow of the brush makes the stroke softer, and you don't have to use the soft edged brushes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved