Media Megaforum

LOST: season 5
lastcall at 3:15PM, Feb. 6, 2009
(offline)
OK I know we had a “Season 4” thread of LOST awhile back, so I thought I would post a Season 5 thread.

(By the way, you can watch free episodes of LOST on ABC's official website.)

…Season 5, so far, is confusing the hell out of me. I get the whole “time-traveling” island thing, but every time I watch a new episode, they throw a whole new wrench to gum up the works. I've been trying to stay faithful to this show because I feel it's going somewhere, like there will be a definite, mind-blowing ending eventually. But right now I can't see it. Some questions I have:

…Why is Ben trying so hard to get the Oceanic Six back to the island? What's the big deal if they don't go back?

And did you see the young Whitmore in episode 3? So he HAS been to the island. Why is he trying so hard to get back? And who is Richard, really? Was he a pirate aboard the Black Rock ship or something?

And when will they show who (or what) Jacob really is?

…And will they ever explain the whole four-toed statue from Season 1?

And what about the smoke monster? They never explained that either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
fern at 6:16PM, Feb. 6, 2009
(online)
They weren't supposed to leave the island. We have to go back, Kate!

Anywho, I think Miles Straume is Dr. Pierre Chang's (The Dharma Initiative Dude) son.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
TheMidge28 at 6:25PM, Feb. 6, 2009
(online)
fern

Anywho, I think Miles Straume is Dr. Pierre Chang's (The Dharma Initiative Dude) son.

no its Jin's son

as to them going back, they upset the balance of the island and are needed back to I guess put it right.

here's another thought… the source of the energy which is behind the rocks they were drilling and where said island energy is coming from… I think its the buried A-bomb either that or that was what was buried under the hatch.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
lastcall at 5:02AM, Feb. 7, 2009
(offline)
TheMidge28
fern

no its Jin's son

as to them going back, they upset the balance of the island and are needed back to I guess put it right.

here's another thought… the source of the energy which is behind the rocks they were drilling and where said island energy is coming from… I think its the buried A-bomb either that or that was what was buried under the hatch.

OOoh I never thought about Miles' part in all this. Interesting…
lastcall at 4:47AM, Feb. 9, 2009
(offline)
There are some very interesting theories about Richard and Jacob on Lostpedia. Some I haven't considered before, and tie a lot of things together…
Hawk at 1:34PM, Feb. 9, 2009
(online)
I love the fact that they're no longer doing flashbacks/flashforwards. For a while it was fun to see the characters' origins and pasts, but after a while it started to become a distraction from what I really cared about, which was the happenings on the island.

I don't know if I like this time-jumping, though. I really enjoy time-travel stories, but only when they interweave cleverly (and properly). I guess there's time for that to happen still. However, right now it feels like this time travel was an afterthought and not very well implemented. For instance, why are only certain people traveling through time? And why, when these people are in a canoe, does the canoe also travel through time with them?

Still, I'll keep watching. They do keep it interesting. One thing I've learned is that if they don't show the person dying, they're not dead. (and in a recent revelation, I'm very glad about this. :) )
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
lastcall at 2:22PM, Feb. 9, 2009
(offline)
Hawk
I don't know if I like this time-jumping, though. I really enjoy time-travel stories, but only when they interweave cleverly (and properly). I guess there's time for that to happen still. However, right now it feels like this time travel was an afterthought and not very well implemented. For instance, why are only certain people traveling through time? And why, when these people are in a canoe, does the canoe also travel through time with them?

Yeah I really hope they're going somewhere with this time-travel thing. They have a lot of mysteries unsolved from the last 4 seasons and I wish they would answer those sometime soon.
lba at 3:52PM, Feb. 9, 2009
(online)
From what I've seen I get the impression that they have as much of a clue where they're going with this as the rest of us. There are so many untied threads in the first 2 seasons that I can't even keep track of them all. So either they have a really clever and grand scheme at work here or they're shooting in the dark for ideas.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
lastcall at 4:40AM, Feb. 10, 2009
(offline)
Lostpedia also discusses the possible meanings of the heiroglyphics and where they have been spotted so far.

They also have a handy Mysterious Happenings portal which indicates which mysteries have been solved & which have been unsolved.
arteestx at 9:55PM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
lastcall
…Season 5, so far, is confusing the hell out of me. I get the whole “time-traveling” island thing, but every time I watch a new episode, they throw a whole new wrench to gum up the works. I've been trying to stay faithful to this show because I feel it's going somewhere, like there will be a definite, mind-blowing ending eventually. But right now I can't see it.
For me, Season 5 is even better than the previous season, which is saying a lot considering how great last season was. I never miss the Washington Post weekly discussion about Lost. Last week, the host actually did an interview with Michael Emerson, the person who plays creepy Ben. Full interview is here. Below is a portion of the interview (nothing too revealing, but I'll put it behind a spoiler just in case)…

Liz: Is Nestor Carbonell – who plays Richard Alpert – wearing eyeliner?

Michael: No. But he has a kind of genetic beauty that is a rare thing in men or women. No, that's what he looks like when he wakes up in the morning. It's hard not to study his face and admire it.

Liz: Well you've probably just put to rest several theories about Alpert being a transplant from ancient Egypt.

Michael: Ah. Well, hold that thought about Egypt. That's all I'll say.

Liz: Will we find out what the deal is with the four-toed statue?

Michael: You are going to learn more about the world from which that statue came. I don't think we're going to see the statue again in context, but maybe. You'll certainly know from whence it is a relic.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So I am definitely looking forward to future episodes. Hang in there and fasten your seat belts. I get the feeling that more and more connections are being made which will start answering more questions.

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
the2ndredbaron at 10:10AM, Feb. 12, 2009
(online)
Anyone else worried about Rose and Bernard?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
lastcall at 10:51AM, Feb. 12, 2009
(offline)
the2ndredbaron
Anyone else worried about Rose and Bernard?

I just listened to the official Lost podcast the other day and the producers said that if Rose & Bernard died in the “fire arrow” scene, they would have made a much bigger deal about it. So I think they're still alive.

I personally think that Rose & Bernard are the “Adam & Eve” skeletons we saw in the cave on the first season. Lostpedia also is speculating this, as there were black & white rocks near their skeletons, the same ones that Bernard used to make the “SOS” sign on the beach.

Damon Lindelof (creator/producer) confirmed in the most recent Official Lost Podcast that Vincent (the dog) will survive through the end of Season 6, making Vincent the first and so far only character that has been confirmed will survive the entirety of the series.

And arteestx, I think the theory about Richard Alpert sounds about right….so he must be really old. He seems to know a lot oabout the island & the time travel thing.

…What bugs me is: Why do they need everyone to come back to the island in order to “fix” things? What's the big deal if some people don't go back? Are they all tied to the island in some way? And why?

And what's the deal with the Temple we see in the most recent episode? It looked Mayan, but it had heiroglyphics all over the crack where the smoke monster went in. Strange…

One other thing I just realized while watching the most recent episodes is that Eloise Hawking, Daniel Faraday's mother, was on the island before. We saw her first as Ellie during the “Jughead” episode.
the2ndredbaron at 6:23PM, Feb. 12, 2009
(online)
well we know miles isn't jin's son. and did anyone else catch, Charlie's Guitar?

fern at 8:31PM, Feb. 12, 2009
(online)
the2ndredbaron
well we know miles isn't jin's son.

Yeap! ‘Midge’… you owe me an apology.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
lastcall at 4:21AM, Feb. 13, 2009
(offline)
fern
the2ndredbaron

Maybe Miles used to be a girl and decided to get a sex change? ;)

…But he COULD be Dr. Pierre Chang's son…Maybe that's why they showed Dr. Chang with a baby this season…

Also, it seems that people who have been on the island before are the ones dying first from these “flashes” (example: Charlotte, who revealed she used to live on the island as a kid). ….That being said, I think Charlotte was Annie (Ben's friend as a kid).

If I remember, Claire had a “nosebleed” incident…does that mean she was on the island before? Hmmm…

and did anyone else catch, Charlie's Guitar?
I saw a violin in an open case in Danielle's beach camp, which belonged to one of the Frenchmen. …Where did you spot Charlie's guitar?
TheMidge28 at 6:51PM, Feb. 13, 2009
(online)
fern
the2ndredbaron

Not til the last episode and the eventual theatrical release! ;)
plus sex changes can't be that far fetch of an idea in this shows universe.
Next thing you know we may find out that in fact jin son was born a girl and did have a sex change by the true rulers of the island…

… super intelligent S&M polar bears from the future who have traveled back and forth through time reaping their fur-flinging-button-pounding-for-fish revenge!!! Huwaaaaaa!
the2ndredbaron at 10:40PM, Feb. 13, 2009
(online)
I might be wrong, but I thought one of the French guys was carrying a guitar on their back, could have been the violin I guess.

lastcall at 6:23AM, Feb. 14, 2009
(offline)
Did anyone participate in The Lost Experience when it was going on a couple of years ago? In it, there seems to be a huge amount of information regarding the Hanso Foundation (the guys who funded DHARMA Initiative's research). I never took part in it, but reading about it now is like peeling an onion: lots of secret little layers that reveal more backstory concerning LOST. Lots of secret videos, hidden websites, code words, etc.

Here's an example of a video from The Lost Experience:

Also, when we first meet Desmond in Season 2, he was reading the book, The Third Policeman. Could this indicate he is the third “temporal policeman” along with Eloise Hawking and Brother Campbell?

Another thing I noticed while watching season 2 again is that Dr. Pierre Chang has a prosthetic arm during the Swan Orientation film. When we see him in Season 5 taping another Orientation film for The Arrow, his arm is fine. …I just read on Lostpedia that apparently he lost his arm while filming the Orchid Orientaiton film. There was an “alternate” version of the Orchid video that shows the rabbit (15) appearing two places at the same time during the video, and part of Marvin Candle's arm disappears as he tries to replace the rabbit in the box.

Below is the alternate video for the Orchid:

At 2:28 of the Swan orientation film we see a superimposed white bird on the top right hand side of Dr. Chang's closeup:

In each orientation film, Dr. Chang has a pseudonym: Dr. Marvin Candle, Dr. Mark Wickmund and Dr. Edgar Halliwax. The videos with him as Dr. Wickmund are the earliest, then Dr. Halliwax are the middle, and the most recent are Marvin Candle. In the order of how candles are made: wick, wax, candle. …Interesting, eh?

Here is a rare video from Comic-Con 2008; apparently DHARMA had a “secret booth” and they allowed a “DHARMA recruit” (who I recognize as an actor from NBC's Chuck) to see the rare footage from Dr. Chang:

The voice talking to Chang at 2:37 sounds like Daniel Faraday, who Chang identifies as a “credible source.”

the2ndredbaron at 2:13PM, Feb. 14, 2009
(online)
the first voice sounds like him, but not the second.

the2ndredbaron at 3:13PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
Anyone else happy to see Frank again?

lastcall at 4:16PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(offline)
the2ndredbaron
Anyone else happy to see Frank again?

Yeah, he looked different without the mustache.

After watching the new episode, I think Jacob is Jack's grandfather, Ray Shephard.

And what happened to Ben? His head was all wet and bloody…and just his head, nothing else. What was up with that?
the2ndredbaron at 5:48PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
Well last call, first of all yea Frank looked really different all cleaned up.
Second, have we ever seen Jack's Grandfather before this episode?
And third. I noticed Desmond didn't make in onto the plan. Also Did you fine it funny how everybody just ignored how he looked.

TheMidge28 at 6:32PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
lastcall
And what happened to Ben? His head was all wet and bloody…and just his head, nothing else. What was up with that?

I think, Ben went and tried to kill Penelope.
He promised Whitmore that he would kill his daughter.

the2ndredbaron
Well last call, first of all yea Frank looked really different all cleaned up.
Second, have we ever seen Jack's Grandfather before this episode?
And third. I noticed Desmond didn't make in onto the plan. Also Did you fine it funny how everybody just ignored how he looked.

I don't recall seeing Ray, Jack's G-dawg, before this last episode.

Frank has to go back too?
why?

what do you mean by the way Desmond looked?
I don't follow.

And who was the guy, the latino guy who gave condolences to Jack for losing his friend and then shows up on the plane in the “Lost” section. He's going to be on the island as well since in the previews the chick with Saiid is on the island talking to Locke.
the2ndredbaron at 9:58PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
probably he is just a new charact, and frank is back because, well he's awesome.

lastcall at 4:05AM, Feb. 20, 2009
(offline)
TheMidge28
I think, Ben went and tried to kill Penelope.
He promised Whitmore that he would kill his daughter.

Hmmm, I forgot about that promise. Interesting.

TheMidge28
And who was the guy, the latino guy who gave condolences to Jack for losing his friend and then shows up on the plane in the “Lost” section. He's going to be on the island as well since in the previews the chick with Saiid is on the island talking to Locke.

Yeah my husband and I were wondering that, too.
Insizwa at 4:11PM, Feb. 20, 2009
(offline)
Someone

His head could just be wet from sweat, but I don't really remember. I think whatever he did was what lead to Hurley getting set free and Sayid getting captured.

Oh, and I'm thinking that guitar case Hurley had was probably Charlies, going back to the whole bringing stuff from dead people thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
the2ndredbaron at 9:52PM, Feb. 25, 2009
(online)
Well this episode was a long time coming, I personally have mix feelings, Terry O'Quin, thats how you spell his name right? Has always been one of the highlights of the show for me but I still don't know if I like the episode. However, As always the ending was quite good but still left us with even more questions.

lastcall at 5:31PM, Feb. 26, 2009
(offline)
After watching yesterday's episode (The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham), I don't know who is the good guy and who is the bad guy now. Ben Linus and Charles Whitmore have both done good and bad things that make me wonder who we're supposed to be rooting for.

All I know is that those two have a set of “rules” between them, and they can't kill each other. …And I think Jacob is the one who set up those rules.

Another interesting thing I stumbled upon while browsing Lostpedia was that they have deciphered the “Whispers” we hear every so often in the jungle. And they say the following:

“Who are you and why are you here?”
“Report, report!”
“Saw Charlie with him”
“There’s Charlie”
“Go to hell”
“Steadily”
“He’s trying here”
“Nothing yet”
“Now try him from here, okay”
“Those are the roles (or rules) you accept”
“Go to hell”
“Nine”
“Where”
“Seven”
“He’s hiding something”
“He’s hiding from me”

:nervous:
Wills42 at 8:11PM, March 2, 2009
(online)
Dang… Forgot to make this seasons board. >.< Oh well. Everyone has had good theories so far. But here's a good one, that I bet NO ONE has thought off…
Richard Alpert is a CYLON! Want proof? http://twitpic.com/1k859
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
lastcall at 3:08AM, March 3, 2009
(offline)
lol!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved