Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Macbooks
BlueFlame_Studios at 8:56PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
I'm in need of a laptop and I've heard Macs are the best way to go for artists/photographers/etc.

What programs come pre-installed on these laptops? As in 3rd party programs(Such as Photoshop and Comic Life.). Because I don't want to get the Macbook and still end up having to buy more programs and waste money.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
ozoneocean at 11:16PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
They're not the best for artists etc. They're simply a choice you can make ^_^

A mac laptop will be more expensive and slightly easier to use if you're not experienced with computers.

None of those programs come pre-installed. You'll have to ask your supplier about deals for those… You WILL have to buy those programs.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
Skullbie at 11:41PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
I'm pretty sure googling this will give you 10x more help than in here.^^
You can get real stats from people who love to debate pc/macs a lot more than us webcomic lovers do–
Then decide which is best for you. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
albone at 7:29AM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
Of course Macbooks are the best way to go. You pay a little more (sometimes less) upfront and the operating expenses are cheaper than a windows box.

You'll need to check with whomever you buy your mac from what 3rd party software comes with it. My buddy bought a mac mini and got Comic Life, but another bought an iMac and didn't get it.

More than likely, you're going to have to pay for PS. If you are someone you know is in school, you can get the education discount, which makes it a steal. Or you can go GIMP.
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
cartoonprofessor at 4:43PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
I really don't want to start a Mac/PC debate here…
personally I will only use a Mac. The operating system is far more stable than anything Microsucks offers, they are more ‘intuitive’ and easier to use (in my opinion), but most importantly of all… NO VIRUSES!

By the way, the price argument is rubbish. Macs are very comparable in price when you compare what you actually get in respect to processing speed, memory, installed programs etc.

Be aware of what programs you are going to be using.

I have the last of the G5 quads (PowerPC G5 chips) and a 12 month old 17' Macbook Pro (Intel chip). I run Adobe CS2 and Carrara 5 (3D program) on both. Because neither were built for the Intel chips they have to go through a ‘translator’… while photoshop is about the same speed on both machines, Carrara is much slower on the Macbook.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
Eunice P at 6:13PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
cartoonprofessor
…but most importantly of all… NO VIRUSES!

Actually, Mac nowadays do get viruses except Windows has more viruses compared to Mac. However, I actually prefer using Windows than Mac simply because some of the best obscured programs out there are mostly designed for Windows.

There are ups and downs for both Windows and Macs. Like Ozoneocean said: They're simply a choice you can make.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
gigatwo at 5:10AM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
I have a:
Layered raster editor
Vector editor
3d Modeller + raytracer
Desktop Publisher
Screen recorder
Font creator
Office suite (word, excel, publisher, powerpoint - like programs)
Text editor (added for lol effect)
Animation program
Vector animation program
Calander program
Video editing tool
Audio editing tool
Outlook - like program
Screen recorder
OPERATING SYSTEM

ALL (legally) FREE!

No OS is virus free. Even linux distros can get viruses, though there are far fewer than the amount of viruses found in Windows or even OSX.

I normally recommend using the GIMP for everyone short on cash, but while the GIMP is awesome on Linux and good on windows, the Mac version does not support tablet pressure sensitivity, which is bad.

When I get a laptop, I'm getting one of these.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Linux + games = fail, though. Except for America's army, Quake : ET, UT2004 and a combination of source games and wine (which is a windows emulator). I use windows XP for gaming and Ubuntu Linux for everything else.

I like OS X because it's pretty. But if you have a good gfx card, you can get something prettier. (of course, it's a waste of resources)

http://remixtechnology.com/view/bfg-c2d-video-screenshot
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
SpoonsREvil at 7:18PM, Feb. 13, 2008
(offline)
Mac's are too rich for my blood so i go with PC cause for one you can upgrade them without buying a completely new system and so much more stuff is built around the PC.
In Soviet Korea, Cat eats you =O
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
cartoonprofessor at 10:39PM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
SpoonsREvil
Mac's are too rich for my blood so i go with PC cause for one you can upgrade them without buying a completely new system and so much more stuff is built around the PC.
What makes you think you cannot upgrade a Mac?
albone at 9:20AM, Feb. 15, 2008
(online)
Eunice P
cartoonprofessor
…but most importantly of all… NO VIRUSES!

Actually, Mac nowadays do get viruses except Windows has more viruses compared to Mac. However, I actually prefer using Windows than Mac simply because some of the best obscured programs out there are mostly designed for Windows.

No, Mac's don't have viruses and haven't for the last 30 years. By virus, I refer to something that invades your comp and cripples it.

Of course you can update a mac, to think otherwise is just silly.
acadia at 11:29AM, Feb. 15, 2008
(offline)
Macs DO have viruses. The reason they are so rare is because the userbase of Mac users is so small, theres virtually no money to be gained from crippling/stealing information off of a mac.

But make no mistake, there ARE viruses for macs.

AAANYWAY, yes, macs are great machines. Yes, they run photoshop a little smoother because there is better memory allocation (not as much wasted resources) when it comes to the Mac OS.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Mizukane at 4:35PM, Feb. 15, 2008
(offline)
On the virus front, I heard that, although rare, Macs can get viruses. However, due to the way their hard-drive is organised the virus will have no way of reaching important programming and is much easier to contain, according to a friend of mine.

Personally, I just think Macs are simply niftier.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
cartoonprofessor at 12:43AM, Feb. 18, 2008
(online)
Even if people wrote viruses for Mac they would have a very hard time succeeding, because Mac have fixed problems that have appeared in their operating systems, unlike Microsucks, who have ‘patched’ them cheaply. This is why Microsucks OS is such a hog on your system (compared to OSX) and why it is so vulnerable.

There was a report a couple of years back that someone had built a virus that succeeded in penetrating OSX, then it was revealed it had been done as a ‘test’ and the ‘hacker’ had access to the keychain passwords!!!!

albone at 3:46AM, Feb. 27, 2008
(online)
acadia
But make no mistake, there ARE viruses for macs.

Well, just name one. Any one. The last one I know about is from the 80's. The professor is right about an anti-virus software company that manufactured one, but I'm not so that counts.
korosu at 10:16PM, March 16, 2008
(online)
I used to be anti-Macs (mainly because of my disgust for the iMac G3's from the late ‘90s), but because I’m a graphic design major I of course had to get a MacBook, and from then on it was no turning back. The only thing I don't like about Macs is that it's not good to get if you're big on computer games, because there are virtually NO games that are Mac compatible (same with downloadable programs). Of course, there are programs like Parallel to fix that, problem, but I've never used it, so I don't know how well it works.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
subcultured at 10:21AM, March 17, 2008
(online)
heh mac
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
gigatwo at 10:28AM, March 19, 2008
(online)
The whole virus-unfriendly environment that macs use is by no means revolutionary. It's been in place since the start of unix, which was designed from the ground up as a multi-user OS. OSX is based off of unix, so it's no surprise that it's secure, however you'll find the same security in FreeBSD or any build of linux.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved