MAFIA... and other forum games

Mafia 46 (XXXXVI) Elections.
Zeph at 11:29AM, May 23, 2011
(online)

Thank god that's over. Lets get this started:

Rules and Conditions.

Veteran players only.
The GM needs to posses a fair understanding on how the game runs. Therefore we require that the applicant has played the game at least twice

No encore performance.
As the current GM, it is up to me to pass the title to someone new. Once you're done running a game, you will also be expected to give someone else a chance. Don't start a new game. Instead you will run an election like this one where we pick a new GM. Also, you can't be a candidate yourself. This will ensure that we get new blood into the game and that the rules are regularly picked at from a different perspective. GMs from older games are free to run again and are encouraged to do so. Who knows? If they were good enough, people will flock to play their game again.

Explain your goal.
What do you plan to do as the new GM? Are you going to run a standard Mafia game? If so, will you change the rules/roles and/or introduce new ones? Are you perhaps gonna play a game with a different theme? Reverse Mafia perhaps or maybe zombie apocalypse? If so explain the new structure of the game. Changing the formula is OK. It happens in almost every game. Just be careful not to introduce a change so radical that it could scare people away from voting you. You can discuss rule changes and different themes here to see if people would like it.

Pick a schedule and stick with it It is important that the GM is punctual in maintaining the game. Do you plan to post narrations every 24 hours at a specific time? If so, make sure that you'll be here to on time to do so. If something comes up that would force you to be early or late, post a warning to let people know with an explanation. It's encouraged that you run the game using GMT timezone schedule since the players hail from all over the world, spanning different time zones and a GMT conversion table is the easiest one for everyone to access. If you plan on using a different time zone schedule like an American one, Make sure you advertise it well and post an appropriate conversion table for everyone to access.
An example of a GMT conversion table:Gertrude veribles.

“Here's how it works. Figure out where in the world you live and locate that place on the map. Follow the line you're living in down to the bottom of the map and locate a number down there. Use that number to change the time that the GM gives (as long as he's using GMT, that is). For example, if the GM says that something will happen at 6 pm and your living in a -5 zone, it means that it will happen at 1 pm, your time. If you live in a +5 zone, it means that it will happen at 11pm.”

Also for those living in America, here's a handy time table to show you at what time you can expect the narrations.

Show us your stuff The GM is expected to write narrations to explain what's going on throughout the game. A good writer can make the game come alive and encourage players to come back to read what's going on. Show us your stuff and create a scenario where YOU(the applicant) kill ME (the election holder). In this narration it is important that you do not directly tell us that it was you who committed the crime but instead leave a clue that's based on your name, avatar, signature, profile, comic(if you have any), something that can link you to the crime. Try making a link to you that can be figured out with some research, while at the same time is not blatantly obvious. You can throw in red herrings but please refrain from directly connecting the herrings to innocents. Make them instead vague things that could point at many people. Finally, be creative, funny, dramatic, brutal, serious, descriptive, vague, long winded or short and to the point. Pick the style you feel comfortable with and would like to use. Impress us with what you can do. At the end of the narration post an explanation that shows people how the clues link to you so that we can understand your logic.

I'll be posting the applicants sample narrations in the second post for people to quickly read through. Once we have enough applications I will announce when it's time to vote for your favorite GM. Applicants do not need to vote since it's given that they'll be voting for themselves. Although if they wish to vote for someone else, they can do so.
Comic The Mutha Flippin God of Airsoft

Rockin the WTF face.
CLEARLY AN OUTRAGE! CLEARLY!
wait what?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:57PM
Zeph at 1:25PM, May 23, 2011
(online)
Narrations go here.

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
Salsa at 1:54PM, May 23, 2011
(offline)
Drunk Duck Mafia presents…

a Salsa(thegeek) production…

Return to Townstonia

Yep we're going back to the game that pretty much got me the title Salsa the luckless. but with a tweeeeeest! You see, it's been over two years since Reverse Mafia, I think we're about due for another round. So here's the setup.
Terms
Just for Clarification.
sacrifice- a lynch
death-match- double lynch

Setup
The village of Townstonia is in ashes. The ravens feed upon the flesh of the fallen. Only the faint howls of the damned are heard in eerie twilight.

But the ravens are far from alone.

A dark figure strides into the square, once vibrant and thriving, now reeks with rot and death. He pulls a tome from his concealing robes and begins to recite the ancient words. Power, dark and ravenous, sweeps from his out stretched hand and into the blood-stained ground. The earth groans, then shrieks, in protest as vast caverns, towering spires, and imposing walls flowed into existence.

His work finished, the dark figure places an enchantment on the door.

“To all those who wish to test their strength, to all those who wish for treasure beyond their wildest dreams, to all those who dare, I beckon you,” the man chants as he does his work.

He smiles as he settles into his throne. For the Dark Lord Salsa, this is only the beginning.

Roles
Elected

The Dungeon Master- The Dark Lord's right-hand man, er, being. Selected from the cream of the crop on the first day. Being so close to the top brings untold power.
Let there be blood- Upon being named, the Dungeon Master can pick a person to be sacrificed to the Dark Lord, but he must act quickly and choose wisely.
Fight…TO THE DEATH!- The Dungeon Master can declare a death-match between two people twice. The loser dies, the victor gets the honor of dying upon the Dungeon Master's sword.
Blood for the Dark Lord- The Dungeon Master's vote counts twice
Foolish to fight me alone- While at least one Blood Knight lives, the Dungeon Master cannot be attacked successfully.

The Keeper of the Keys- Second to the Dungeon Master, the Keeper of the Keys is selected at the same time as the Dungeon Master. He too also has terrible power.
Preserve the blood, preserve yourself- The Keeper can halt two sacrifices to the Dark Lord.
Stronger than you think- Like the Dungeon Master, the Keeper cannot be successfully attacked while at least one Blood Knight lives.

Forces of Darkness

The Dark Champion(1)- The sword arm of the Dark Lord, this being can kill once a night. Since he is also the Dark Lord's Champion he has two night lives.

The Shaman(1)- Skilled in the ways of blood and bone, the Shaman can give one person an extra nightlife every other night. He can also give two people their lives back after being killed (the people not the Shaman).

The Witch(2)- Powerful spells are a trifle to you. You can protect one person from one a attack a night.

The Beholder(1)- An ancient being that has seen much and knows more. You can find out if how many Adventurers voted for someone to be sacrificed, ask whether someone follows the Dark Lord twice, or paralyze someone for one day and one night.

The Trap Master(1)- You handle the traps around the Dark Lord's keep. The first person to come to you for any reason at night dies. The only exception is the Rogue.

Blood Knight(2)- You guard the Dungeon Master and the Keeper of the Keys with your life. You have a one in twenty chance of killing your opponent if your charges are attacked.

Minion(the rest of you lot)- You pillage, plunder, put hickies on all the fair damsels. And by that, I mean, you sacrifice someone, die, repeat. If you're lucky you get to get some armor and kill someone.

The Adventurers

The Fearless Leader(1)- You and your merry band have come to plunder the Dark Lord's treasure and slay said abomination. As the leader, you have some very nice skills.
Coup de Grace- You can kill one person without revealing yourself. You have to let the GM know you're using this ability.
We need a distraction- you can disrupt one sacrifice or death-match
Well hidden- You appear as a humble servant of the Dark Lord, and are treated as if you're protected from all attacks. This is canceled if you:
==>Attack without using the Coup de Grace ability
==>are the only surviving member of your party, you don't get it back if one of them is raised from the dead.
Final Stand- You can kill once a night, but lose all of the benefits of the Well Hidden ability

The Cleric(1)-You can kill once a night and can bring one person back from the dead.

The Rogue(1)- You are a master thief and assassin. You can kill once a night and ignore the Trap Master's traps.

The Wizard(1)- You can prepare or activate a spell once a night, You can only have two spells prepared at once, if you die, your spells are activated and the people targeted die, unless they have more than one night life.

The Barbarian(1)- Fueled by rage and pride, you can kill once a night and have a one in four chance of surviving an attack.

The Priests of Chaos(2)- After being defeated in Townstonia once, the order has sent two of its highest Priests to exact revenge. As long as both are alive, neither can be attacked, but they can be lynched. Both can kill once a night.

Narrations will happen at 10 pm Central time. (4 am GMT) Clues will be from profiles, comic thumbs, avatars, and signatures. If you have any questions just ask.

Narration sample
This battle was to test his skills. Zeph, brave leader of the band of Adventurers, was alone. Alone against the Dark Champion. His comrades, dead. His body, battered. His armor, useless.

“I will..I will never give up!” screamed Zeph as he bolstered his courage.

The Dark champion looked on with emotionless eyes as he readied his weapon.

“Then die,” came the voice like cold iron forged by the burning of a thousand damned souls. Golden eyes glinted under the dark helm the Champion wore.

Zeph and the Champion fought. The thunderous clash of steel filled the hall. Stroke for stroke, they were equal, but the Champion proved too great for Zeph. He thrust his sword into the gap between the plates in Zeph's armor. Zeph gritted his teeth and made to carry on, but injured as he was, the end came swiftly.

Zeph the Fearless Leader has been beaten.

Clues:
“This battle was to test his skills.” ==> Webcomic Acid Test
“Golden eyes glinted under the dark helm the Champion wore.” ==> My avatar, golden visor over my face.

If we are only going to have four or five Minions, then I'll probably ask PP for a little help and come up with some roles for those people. :)
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
Product Placement at 3:08PM, May 23, 2011
(online)
Last game's title
Mafia 42

Title of game before that
Mafia 44

Title of this election
Mafia 46

Oh dear god! It appears that in our attempts to fix the dreaded case of the missing game number 42, it appears we have created a case of the missing game number 45!
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Salsa at 7:18PM, May 23, 2011
(offline)
Eh, I'll fix it.
RAGE!
Mettaur at 7:40PM, May 23, 2011
(offline)
I must vote for Salsa!
Been years since I was here. I've been at rehab since. So uh. Yknow, things got interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
Anthony Mercer at 2:47PM, May 24, 2011
(online)
!aslaS rof etov tsum I
Don't take any of the above seriously. It is in my nature to joke.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
seventy2 at 2:50PM, May 24, 2011
(online)
I'm thinking about running.

Has anyone done dinosaurs?
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:31PM
Salsa at 2:53PM, May 24, 2011
(offline)
seventy2
I'm thinking about running.

Has anyone done dinosaurs?

Game 9
RAGE!
Niccea at 5:58PM, May 24, 2011
(offline)
Technically, the dinosaurs only represented the mafia while the townies were brave Townstonians that traveled to a distant island inhabited by dinos.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
seventy2 at 8:02PM, May 24, 2011
(online)
This one requires some work. If i'm not in by the deadline, then you're free to not wait.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:31PM
Zeph at 8:06PM, May 24, 2011
(online)
Only deadline there is, is if there are actually at least 2 choices. SO far there's only salsa, can't hold a one sided election. So the deadline goes as long as needed until there's actually competition.

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
Salsa at 9:13PM, May 24, 2011
(offline)
Zeph
…can't hold a one sided election…

Aw, why not? :D
RAGE!
Zeph at 9:59PM, May 24, 2011
(online)
Cause I don't support fascism D:< BAD SALSA! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
Product Placement at 12:05AM, May 26, 2011
(online)
What happened to the good old tradition of letting Salsa run his concept 10 times before being finally allowed to have a go?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Zeph at 12:25AM, May 26, 2011
(online)
Apparently it died with the tradition of actually having elections… :/ geez nobodies even running against him.

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
Anthony Mercer at 1:49AM, May 26, 2011
(online)
.emit txen nur thgim I
Mettaur at 8:51AM, May 26, 2011
(offline)

Guess who's back! In the elections that is.

I'll be running the Card Game concept, since most of the cards are done. The idea is the townies are the neighborhood kids, and a cool new card game comes along, and the kids take on the roles of their cards. And there is the big bro, annoyed by all this he sets out to ruin it for all the little kids.

Oh, and can someone edit the scary niccea pic please and send it over? I don't have resizing tools.
Been years since I was here. I've been at rehab since. So uh. Yknow, things got interesting.
Mettaur at 9:05AM, May 26, 2011
(offline)
TOWNIE ROLES
The townie’s win condition is to find and kill all mafias.

Ma-Fi-A Master Collector
The kid that is the ultimate at this new game, elected at the start of the game and has numerous roles. His special abilities are:
My cards have gold plating!: Increased vote count of 2 during challenges.
Alright guys, this got serious: The Master Collector can declare 2 double challenges anytime during the game When double challenges are in effect each player gets two votes on two different people.(must notify me during night cycle or early on in the day so voting can be arranged accordingly).
You're really cool!: Cannot be killed during the night while his bodyguard(s) are alive. Only the Ma-Fi-A Master and the kids with shades will know who the kids with shades are. The Master Collector always has one shades kid automatically assigned to him but is free to assign the second kid with shades to whomever he wishes. That means the Gentle Kid can be free game!
Hey, that's a fake card! The Collector has the option of instantly disqualifying one player by the end of Day 1 once he's won the election. No voting takes place. Whoever the Collector picks, gets kicked out. Take heed if you plan to use this ability since no clues have been given that could point you at a Cool Kid at that time.

Gentle Kid
As a check and balance to the Ma-Fi-A Collector, the Gentle Kid is the runner up to the Ma-Fi-A Collector.
Why not just look at the pretty pictures? The GK has the ability to cancel two challenges throughout the game. This could be either two single matches, one double challenge, one half of a double or whatever. The GK will have to notify me within one hour of Tournament results before the challenge result is actually posted. He is also unable to pardon on the insta-kick.

Kids with shades
Look at you, in a tie and perscription sunglasses your Ma let ya borrow! You've seen some spy movies, so you know how to protect your charge, except during snacktime.Random kids will receive the role of bodyguard once the mayor has been elected. The mayor alone will know who these people are. The bodyguard cannot be a mafia or special role, he can only be a regular townie. As long as the bodyguard is alive, the person he protects can not be killed via mafia or vigilante hit. A bomb sent to a protected person will also be intercepted. The Mayor chooses for them who needs protection.

Lil' Hero
With a pair of underwear on your head, and your blankie tied around your shoulders, you are the Vigilante! Just like in that game!
You can take out a player once a night, but be careful! All those cards look the same on the back covers..

Boy Scout
You have the ability to watch one other player during night, which you must tell me about before the end of night (this move can be made during the day cycle). When a player is watched he cannot die unless the number of people attacking him outnumbers the number of people watching him or his night lives. In other words if two mafia attack a person being watched by one paramedic, the person will die. The narrative will indicate that the target was attempted but saved, but it will not necessarily say who the target was. It does not matter if the paramedic chooses to watch someone before or after he is attacked; he will protect the person regardless. The Paramedic will intercept bombs sent to a townie if he's being watched during the night of implantation.

Tough Kid
You've been around the neighborhood block a few times and know how to dodge a water balloon, punch, or angry dog. But for how long? The Tough Kid gets two lives, meaning two hits must be made on him before he quits. The Tough Kid can survive a trap if he still has both lives, but it will count as a hit attempt.

Nervous Kid
Once when retrieving a ball from the roof, you fell and hurt your leg. You've been jumpy ever since, so getting the limited edition Paranoid Card fits well. If someone approaches you at night, friend or foe, they lose their cards in your frenzy and are done for. If it's the Big Bro or the Prankster, you tattle on them, and they get grounded. Same as dying to the Big Bro, he has band practice to do!

The Cheater
You have three abilities you may use. You have the ability to ask me whether or not a specific clue points to a specific person and get a yes/no answer, you may ask me how many mafia voted to lynch a specific person after the conclusion of voting or you can ask me what role a specific person has (only usable two times). You may only use one ability per day/night cycle.

Kid
You're another one of those children enjoying their time not worrying about things, except your precious cards! Although you do not have any special abilities, you participate by solving clues, networking, and voting.

COOL KIDS
There they are, the cool kids! Big meanies, jerks, and other weirdos that act like only they matter. Their win condition, be the only ones left by the end of the game. Besides the Rich Kid, Cool Kids can't hurt each other.

Obnoxious Rich Kid
Like the Collector, the Rich Kid has several special abilities in his arsenal.
Learn your place.: The Rich Kid is able to have a goon put some poor kid's hand in warm water. This has the effect of negating any special abilities the person may have had for one day and night cycle. The shame leaves them from voting, or anything than talking really. A Boy Scout can block this ability.
Screw the rules, I got money!: The Rich Kid can once per game, cancel a match with a shiny roll of quarters. If he uses that ability during a double match, both matches are canceled.
Go do that for me!: The Rich Kid doesn't dirty his hands since he has his minions to carry out his orders. The Rich Kid will appear as a regular kid to the detective. Also, he can't be killed by the vigilante as long as this power is in effect.
Now I'm mad!: The Rich Kid has decided to take actions into his own hands. He's brandished his paintball gun (stolen from the high-schooler) and taken to the streets. He gains the ability to kill once per night but looses all benefits he received from his Go do that for me! power. If the Rich Kid is the only Cool Kid left, this power is automatically activated.

Trap Master
Trap cards are your speciality! Each turn, plant one in the game, or activate an already planted card. They laughed at you before, but who laughs at four-eyes now?! Well, still everyone, yeah..

You can plant a trap on a player, or activate an already planted trap. Only two traps can be out at once, and when a trap is activated, a clue is given about you. A Boy Scout can block a trap, the Shade Kids will block them, and the Tough Kid will survive a trap once.

Poke-Maniac
You aren't sure what this new card game is, you love your mutated animals imbued with insane powers just as much as ever! Plus, that Rich Kid offered to buy you some REAL shiny edition pokemon! Why would he fib to you?
Baseball, I choose you! Once a night, throw some object at a player and hope it catches them. That, or they run home crying with a bruise.
BULLY ROLES

Prankster
You aren't really a threat, more of an inconvenience. The town can win with you alive, but you are really a bother to them in the end.
Huh, it disappeared! You have the ability once a cycle, night or day, not both, to take a player's ability card and give it to another. You can't take a card from the High-Schooler, as he doesn't collect that stuff. But you can give him one.
Have you confused me, or have I confused you? Haha!
You can now switch entire roles, and the powers that come along with them! Other cards, if they are there, stay. Remember, taking a role from someone, means giving them another. You have to choose two people.

High-Schooler
What are those annoying siblings of yours up to this time? Ah, playing with their dweeb friends. Too much noise for you to focus on your band practice and motorcycle-building. Time to teach these kids to grow up and shut up! Win goal is, be the last one standing!
Pipe down dweeb! You can cause a kid to be inactive for a day and night.
Gimme that, dweeb! You can wreak all of a kids cards.
Huh, you aren't such a dweeb after all. If the High-Schooler likes you, thinks you're more mature than others, then you can be spared from the ownage.

I WILL FINISH SOON, BUT MY POST KEEPS SHUTTING OFF RANDOMLY
Salsa at 10:29AM, May 26, 2011
(offline)
Mettaur
Oh, and can someone edit the scary niccea pic please and send it over? I don't have resizing tools.

Here. Or better yet click the link in my sig.

Seriously, this is about the stupidest thing I've heard and I've read three threads that had absolutely no point. Even if you can't install it onto a computer, you could get an 8 GB flash drive and install Linux onto it.
RAGE!
jninjashadow at 1:32PM, May 26, 2011
(online)
maybe i should run…
Why that's just crazy enough to walrus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 1:07AM, May 27, 2011
(online)
I'd run but finals and papers. So many papers T.T

SO MANY PAPERS!!!!!!

T.T

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:19PM
Niccea at 4:07AM, May 27, 2011
(offline)
Hey guys. Getting married tomorrow. I might not see y'all until the 6th, so behave yourselves.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
ayesinback at 5:16AM, May 27, 2011
(online)
Niccea
Hey guys. Getting married tomorrow. I might not see y'all until the 6th, so behave yourselves.
Hope it's everything you want it to be - and more :)
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Anthony Mercer at 12:31PM, May 27, 2011
(online)
.aecciN ,emit ecin a evaH
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 1:09PM, May 27, 2011
(online)
Niccea
Congrats! Have fun :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:19PM
Product Placement at 1:14PM, May 27, 2011
(online)
Niccea
Wish you all the best.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Salsa at 8:35PM, May 27, 2011
(offline)
Niccea

You do the same, 'kay?

Seriously hope Mr. Mystery Fiance and you have a long happy life together.
RAGE!
Mettaur at 3:45PM, May 28, 2011
(offline)
NARRATION!

The High-Schooler looked around the living room, he was gonna play some xbox and chill at his laptop afterwards, but one of his kid brothers was there. As he walked over, the little runt saluted him, wearing a yellow bowl on his head. “Ello cammandar!” The high-schooler sneered,“Wasting my time, give me those cards!” The kid's eyes teared up,“I just wanna make fwends! Waaaa! Mama!” The high-schooler got a panicked expression as the kid ran to his parents room..

Zeph the High Schooler is GROUNDED.

Clues.
Saluted him- My avatar is saluting.
I just wanna make friends!- Profile says I love making friends.
Yellow Bowl- My name, the Mettaur.
Zeph at 9:18AM, May 29, 2011
(online)
lets get this election started so someone else can deal with GM responsibilities.

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon