MAFIA... and other forum games

Mafia XII GM election.
Product Placement at 6:41AM, July 20, 2009
(online)
Mafia XI just finished with a bang and you know what that means. Time for a new GM because this one is all used up and soggy and bleh.

As the game has progressed we've developed few rules for the applicants to follow.

Veteran players only. The GM needs to posses a fair understanding on how the game runs. Therefore we require that the applicant has played the game at least twice

No encore performance. As the current GM, it is up to me to pass the title to someone new. Once you're done running a game, you will also be expected to give someone else a chance. Don't start a new game. Instead you will run an election like this one where we pick a new GM. Also, you can't be a candidate yourself. This will ensure that we get new blood into the game and that the rules are regularly picked at from a different perspective. GMs from previous games are free to run again and are encouraged to do so. Who knows? If they were good enough, people will flock to play their game again.

Explain your goal. What do you plan to do as the new GM? Are you going to run a standard Mafia game? If so, will you change the rules/roles and/or introduce new ones? Are you perhaps gonna play a game with a different theme? Reverse Mafia perhaps or maybe zombie apocalypse? If so explain the new structure of the game. Changing the formula is OK. It happens in every game. Just be careful not to introduce a change so radical that could scare people away from voting you. You can discuss rule changes and different themes http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=47412 he was standing in the street, wearing pajamas and fuzzy bunny slippers. “Oh man, I must have been sleepwalking again.” He trudged home, unaware that he was being followed. His attacker appeared; PP stopped dead, let out a yawn, and said, “That’s not possible, I must be dreaming.” His attacker laughed, and then brandished the weapon. It was a grenade. Flames danced across the killer’s eyes as they pointed out, “Well if this is a dream, then I guess you can’t die, can you?” The attacker pulled out the ring and threw the grenade into a puddle at PP’s feet. As the killer ran, PP turned and tripped; bunny slippers did not make good running material.
PP the undercover cop is dead.
The clues- “Possible”, my signature says possible
“danced” I’m a dancing banana
“puddle” the word wet is in my profile
These clues would all lead to me being the killer, but most of the time there will be multiple clues that could lead to several people. So the trick is to pick the mostly likely suspect and lynch him or her.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
Niccea at 7:03AM, July 20, 2009
(offline)
I'm just going to post in here so I can be the first to post in something. But I am not going to be a candidate this time. I wish to run for the next time cause I predict to actually have some stability and enough time to work then.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
Salsa at 7:04AM, July 20, 2009
(offline)
Idea
Mafia: The Legend of Townstonia
They say that before the moon had a face, and the wolf learned to howl, there was a village that was ravaged by a battle between a Lord and a Mage of the black. The tale is lost to the murky depths of time, but the battle left scars that remain in the decedents of those that lived.
Roles
YE OLDE VILLAGERS: aka Townies
Mayor=> Lord(1) elected
Witch Hunt: The Lord is able to pick one person to be lynched within an Hour of the first day ending. The Alchemist is unable to switch the person to be lynched with someone else.
In the Name of the King: The Lord's vote is also backed by the King so it holds twice the power(counts twice instead of once).
Blood sport: During the night the Lord can arrange for two combatants to duel to the death. The winner is turned into a pincushion. Each person submits two votes. One for each slot in the execu- I mean games. Note:this is a double lynch, both people die.
Meat sh- I mean My Noble Squires, Defend your Lord!: cannot be attacked or body switched while a squire is alive. This also applies to the Knight
Pardoner=> Knight(1) elected
For My Lady's Favor: Can cancel two lynches during the game. If the Lord has declared a bloodsport and the Knight invokes his Lady's Favor, only one of them will be spared.
Librarian=> Scribe(1) The scribe is told the role of one villager and one villager only.
Detective=> Diviner(1)
Cure the Damned: the diviner can remove two curses during the game. If the power is used on a person who isn't cursed, it is wasted. The diviner can also remove the curse from himself.
Message From the Gods: The diviner can ask what role a person is twice. The diviner can also ask if a person is connected to a crime. He can do only one a day though.
Paranoid=>The Crazy Mage(1)
Booby trapped: The Crazy Mage has his house booby trapped with a mess of magic traps guaranteed to blow the first person to bits that tries to open the door. The Crazy Mage has no idea who they really are due to a few too many magic mishaps.
Veteran=> Tracker(1)
Son, I've fought Dragons!: Due to being awesome and tough, the Tracker must be attacked twice before he can die. Lynchings still take only once though.
Paramedic/Vigilante=> Valkyrie(3)
You Shall Not Pass!: Valkyries can protect one person from one attack at night. they cannot protect each other though.
To Arms: Valkyries can kill one person a night, but not if they're protecting someone
Bodyguard=> Squire(2)These poor saps are your standard MK. I meat shield.
Townie=> serf(who ever is left over) After a hard day's lynching, they're easy pickings, but after a good night's sleep, the torches and pitch forks come out.

The Agents of EVIL: aka Mafia
Godfather=> Black Mage(1)
I Curse Thee: Can curse two people a game, but only one at a time and only at night. The curse takes until the end of the day cycle after the curse was placed to kill it's target. Curses cannot be switched after the night cycle has ended. Curses involve two narratives. Both point to the Black mage, but only the first gives a clue to the victim. The Diviner can remove both curses however.
I was always good at illusions: Appears as a villager and cannot be attacked while in effect. he can still curse people though
I will make your life hell: Appears as the Black Mage and now has the ability to kill directly, but must choose whether to curse or kill in the night.
He's innocent, you can trust me: can cancel on lynch or Bloodsport. Spares everyone in the latter case.
Mad Hatter=> Alchemist(1)
Greek Fire: Can be placed on two people at once, but only one person can be targeted a night. They are activated when A ) the Alchemist chooses, or B ) when the Alchemist dies.
I don't like you: The Alchemist can switch one person with one who is going to be lynched. It can only be used once a game and Only one person will be switched when the Lord invokes a bloodsport and cannot be used on a witch hunt. The Alchemist cannot switch the Knight or the Lord UNLESS both squires are dead.
Mafia=> Fun sized death machines(2 or 3)wez keel stuf, but only once a night.

sociopaths
Psycho=> Agents of Chaos(2)We will water our new order with your blood. But we can only kill one of you each a night.

My goals for this game are to try a few ideas in to make the game less predictable. More kill roles for the townies allow the town to have more bite, but combining the paramedic and the vigilante meant that the townies must come up with a strategy in order to maximize their effectiveness. The Godfather has lost the horse head ability,but has the ability to kill twice without blowing his cover. The Mad Hatter also has a new ability, lynch switching. I think of it as a pysch weapon rather than a legit means of elimination, but it could be used as such. Adding another serial killer boosts their sides chances as well.

Inactivity:
If a person has not posted on the thread or voted in a lynching in two days (48 hours real time) they will be taken out of the game at the end of the current cycle. The only exception is if the person lets me know that they will be unable to post or vote ahead of time.

Minors:
If you can't receive PQ's then you can't play. Sorry to be harsh, but this is to make things easier on everybody. This game runs on PQ's, it makes it really hard to make a strategy if you can't get them.

Clues:
Clues will come from profiles, avatars, sigs, comic titles, and the first page of any comics a person has. Clues can be found in basically anything.

Roleplaying:
I am on almost all the time. I get bored when no one posts and I like to talk. Please, feel free to act out your fantasy persona, or just act like a total goof ball, either is fine and I encourage both.

Narratives:
Narratives will be posted at 0:00 GMT or 18:00 CDT. I will accept votes and actions until 23:45 GMT or 17:45 CDT. The Knight, Black Mage, and Alchemist have 10 minutes to let me know whether or not they choose to use their powers on a day cycle, first come, first served. You can let me know what you what you wish to do beforehand and can include conditions.

Narrative
Fear had gripped the village. The tavern owner had been found dead in the middle of the main road through the village. Now that he was gone, there was no one to give the town ale and liquor. A man running in the ghostly gloom of night knew all of this, but he had dallied at a fair maiden's door to enumerate her many virtues.
“I am a damned fool!” he said quietly.
“Yes you are.”
“Huh?”
A figure in a cloak wrapped around his frame slinked out of the shadows. His eyes held a devilish gleam.
“You are a fool. Need I repeat myself again?”
“If I'm a fool, then what are you doing out here after dusk?”
“I'm glad you asked,” he cloaked man said as he pulled a weapon from it's scabbard.
“AHHHHHH!!! I'M GONNA BE KILLED BE AN AXE WIELDING MANIAC!!!”
“This is a sword, not a bloody axe you idiot!”
And with that, the cloaked man fell upon his victim with the fury of a daemon.

The next morn, the townsfolk awoke to a grisly sight. The man's body had been opened like a clam shell. His limbs and torso were arranged in the shape of an arrow. His entrails snaked around a spear shaft with his head upon it. Into the back of his skull was carved the word “stoopid.”

“Who could have done such a thing?!?”
No one had an answer.

Product Placement the serf has met his end.
The cloak. My avatar has one on at the moment.

RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
GarBonzo Bean at 7:27AM, July 20, 2009
(offline)
My idea is banana themed of course-
Background story: For many years the legendary space banana was just that; a legend, until now. The banana had gotten too close to the Earth’s gravitational pull where it plummeted from the atmosphere to the town of Townston. When the people of Townston heard that the banana was nearby they started and all out war, each with a different idea in mind for when they would finally get their hands on such a powerful fruit. The radioactivity of the banana even brought some advertising characters to life, and also gave some underwater creatures the power to breathe on land! So basically this game makes no sense at all.

Some rules-
1. All actions will have to be PQed to me to be counted as valid. The only exception is if double lynch is declared.
2. If you’re dead, you’re dead. You can still post, but don’t help any players with clues or give out any information to living players.
3. If I send you a PQ, don’t quote it on the forum, you can tell other people the results, but no quoting.
4. Each day and night takes 24 hours. Each ends at 12 am, to make it easier, I’m using GMT time. (I don’t go by it but I will try my best to have narrations on time. If you want to know the time for where you’re at, go to google and type in “GMT time”)
5. All actions are first come first serve. If you send a kill for someone after they sent one for you, you’re dead. I will tell you if your kill was wasted.
6. If you are under 13 then you must post your E mail address on the actual forum so that people will be able to contact you.
7. If you are annoying other people in the game, I will give you a warning. If you don’t stop whining, then I will take you out of the game. This has only ever happened once (humorman) and I don’t want to have it happen again.
8. If you are inactive for two nights, no posts or actions at all, then I will PQ you, I need to see if you are just playing it cool or blowing us off. If you don’t respond I will take you out of the game.
9. I will give you one bonus vote if you draw your poster for the kool aid man campaign.
10. At the end of the day and night I will include a narration. At the end of the night the narration will have clues. The clues won’t be too easy or too hard; they will be based on avatars, profiles, sigs, and will only be based on the first page of the comic if it is in their signature. I will only use words such as they, the attacker, and the killer. Too many roles have been slipped in previous games because of the GM saying the killer was a he or a she. I’m going to announce about a half hour or forty five minutes before the end of the night or day when I will stop accepting actions, the only time I will accept an action later is if you are pardoning someone. I will inform you if there are no clues in a narration.

Narration: PP woke up; he was standing in the street, wearing pajamas and fuzzy bunny slippers. “Oh man, I must have been sleepwalking again.” He trudged home, unaware that he was being followed. His attacker appeared; PP stopped dead, let out a yawn, and said, “That’s not possible, I must be dreaming.” His attacker laughed, and then brandished the weapon. It was a grenade. Flames danced across the killer’s eyes as they pointed out, “Well if this is a dream, then I guess you can’t die, can you?” The attacker pulled out the ring and threw the grenade into a puddle at PP’s feet. As the killer ran, PP turned and tripped; bunny slippers did not make good running material.
PP the undercover cop is dead.
The clues- “Possible”, my signature says possible
“danced” I’m a dancing banana
“puddle” the word wet is in my profile
These clues would all lead to me being the killer, but most of the time there will be multiple clues that could lead to several people. So the trick is to pick the mostly likely suspect and lynch him or her.

THE TOWN (to win- kill all AP’s)
Kool aid man – Kool aid man wants to harvest the powers of the banana to make his glass unbreakable to defeat his mortal enemy; the brick wall.
oh yeah!: increased count of two for lynches
Double the power: Kool aid man can declare two double lynch days during the game where players vote for two different people to lynch. He must notify me in this case or publicly announce it on the forum.
See you next game!: can declare an insta-lynch on the first day he gets elected. Whoever he picks will get lynched (unless pardoned). No voting.
Cover me!: Kool aid man can’t be killed if the PDG are still alive.

Sun with sunglasses- he’s just here to look cool, end of story.
You’re too young to die!: has the ability to cancel 2 lynches during the game. This can work with the double lynches, the insta-lynch, or just two separate lynches. He is also protected by PDG. You can’t pardon yourself though, sorry.

Pizza delivery guys (PDG)- While kool aid man was locked in his room, thoughts of paranoia running through his mind he got hungry, and ordered pizza. The pizza guys showed up and kool aid man decided to hire them as his bodyguards.
These earpieces are cool!: PDG protect kool aid man and the sun from being lynched or killed during the night. As long as they are alive, kool aid and the sun can’t be killed. But when they’re dead….lets just say kool aid man will be locked in his room again.

Sniper- Thought that this whole banana fiasco would be a good time to brush up on his sniper skills.
Lock your doors at night..: The sniper can kill one person a night. But be warned, there will be a clue left over for the AP’s to figure out. There will be no way for the town to tell if the kill was made by you or an AP. Once the sniper is dead, an undercover cop will become the new sniper. After that reckless maniac is dead, there will be no more replacements.

Ninja- The ninja was on vacation, he didn’t want any trouble so he thought he would go to some unknown town, just to be safe. Boy was he in for a shock when the banana landed. He was given two options, help find the banana or get out! Now he’s in league with the town, whether he likes it or not.
I’m baaaack!: the ninja gets two, count em, two lives. This counts for mail bombs and lynches by the town too.

Landshark- You didn’t think he was real? Guess again, this guy is just in this competition to beat the crap out of the killer whale, his arch nemesis.
Don’t mess with me.: the landshark will bite the head off of the first person who dares to attack him. You have been warned.

Four leaf clovers!- These guy want peace for the city of Townston. But that’s not gonna happen so they will settle with watching over anyone who the think is innocent.
Watch out!: The four leaf clovers can watch over anyone during the night cycle. But if two AP’s attack a person protected, the person will die. One clover can’t protect someone when they are outnumbered. If a kill is attempted on a person being watched, a clue will be left.

Muffin Man- The muffin man is after the banana to make the best banana nut muffins ever!
Who, what, when, where?: the muffin man can ask if a someone was killed by a specific person, how many AP’s voted to lynch a specific person, or you can ask what role a specific person has (this one’s only usable twice) you can ask one question per day and night cycle.

Gecko- After taking a vacation from doing insurance commercials, he went to Townston, for no apparent reason.
What’s your role?: With his accent and charm, he got a role of a town member. You can completely trust this person. They will be told that their role was told to you, but not who you are.

Undercover cops- In a neighboring city, the police department was worried about the people of Townston killing themselves over some banana, why? It would make them look bad. So they sent out some undercover cops in the hope of them smoothing things over. The opposite happened, they got a little more involved with the banana issue and before they knew it they were voting on who to lynch every day in hope of getting rid of the AP’s for good.

THE ANTI POTASSIUM-ITES (AP’s for short) (To win, kill the whole town, or outnumber them)

Mr. Peanut- With a top hat, monical, and a cane, how can this guy not be evil? He is sick and tired of people associating peanut butter and bananas. His sole purpose is to get his hands on the banana and teach it a lesson!
Oh no you don’t: Mr. Peanut can disable a person’s powers for a complete day and night cycle. If he target’s the landshark, he’s a goner, it won’t stop the ninja from having two lives though.
Don’t die, you’re valuable to the operation!: Mr. Peanut can cancel a lynch once per game, if he uses it on a double lynch, both are canceled.
Don’t try and find me: He will appear to the muffin man as an undercover cop, if asked about his role.
If you want something done right, do it yourself: Mr. Peanut can go after somebody himself, but, if asked, he will appear to the muffin man on that cycle. If he is the only AP left then this is automatically activated.

Klutz- He was just a normal guy until he broke his leg by slipping on a banana peel. It landed him in the hospital, and got him a leg cast. He hates all bananas, he was caught stomping on an innocent banana in front a fruit stand. Now he wants to publicly destroy the banana on live television.
Mailman’s nightmare: Letter bombs! The klutz will mail letter bombs to his victims. At night he can either send a letter, or activate one, not both. Every time he activates one, a clue is left. However, the landshark gets mail too, so he will not be able to kill the klutz if he is blown up first. When the klutz dies, all letters are activated.

Evil Robots- programmed by Mr. Peanut to kill once per night.

NOTE- If the AP’s outnumber the Town, then they win, every AP knows all the other AP’s.

SERIAL KILLER

The killer whale- The enemy of the landshark, he’s in it to win it and to show him up. Kill once a night and a clue is left each time. To win? Kill EVERYONE!

ROLES
Kool aid man- elected
Sun with sunglasses- elected
PDG- 2
Sniper- 1
Ninja- 1
Landshark- 1
Muffin man- 1
Gecko- 1
Undercover cops- X (depends on how many people we get)
Mr. Peanut- 1
Klutz-1
Evil Robots- 2
Killer whale-1

If you think this game is ridiculous because of the characters, the story, or the fact of a legendary space banana existing, then I agree with you completely. But isn’t that what makes it fun to play?

NOTE- If you have any criticism then I would be happy to hear it. If most of the people want to change a rule, I’ll change it. Just don’t be flat out rude, it took me forever to write this.
If its popsicle, its possible!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
Salsa at 9:36AM, July 20, 2009
(offline)
Are me and Garbanzo Bean the only ones running?
RAGE!
waff at 9:37AM, July 20, 2009
(online)
Salsa
Are me and Garbanzo Bean the only ones running?
apparently.

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:44PM
Niccea at 9:41AM, July 20, 2009
(offline)
I would run but I might be moving at the end of the week, so…who knows.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 10:01AM, July 20, 2009
(online)
GarBonzo Bean
Kool aid man – Kool aid man wants to harvest the powers of the banana to make his glass unbreakable to defeat his mortal enemy; the brick wall.

XD

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
harkovast at 10:49AM, July 20, 2009
(online)
I vote for Salsa because he drew me some snazzy fan art!
If anyone wants to bribe me to vote differently, feel free!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:43PM
Product Placement at 11:46AM, July 20, 2009
(online)
Well I only started the election today so it would be fair that we allow other players the chance to run as well but if you guys want, I can start asking for votes now.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
InuYasha_Rules at 4:46PM, July 20, 2009
(offline)
Is anyone out there going to do a normal game now? You know, since we just finished with an expirimental game? Just my opinion. 8D (no, i'm not running, i would like to but don't have the time)

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
Anthony Mercer at 11:08PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
Are we voting in this thread then? I vote for Salsa.
Don't take any of the above seriously. It is in my nature to joke.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Product Placement at 11:15PM, July 20, 2009
(online)
Speaking of votes, I've received very few, so far. Only 3 (counting Anthony's). Maybe I didn't make it clear when I said that I was considering accepting votes so I'll say so now.

The booths are open. You can vote. If you've already voted, you don't need do so again (you too Anthony) but I prefer receiving them with PQ's.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Product Placement at 3:44AM, July 21, 2009
(online)
Ok. So far, everyone who's contacted me has voted for Salsa. I think it's quite clear that his idea is the one everyone wants to go with.

Congrats Salsa, You're our new GM.

Your next step is to set up a recruiting threat in Genera Discussion.

You can contact me if you have any questions.

Oh, and if any of these people wish to join the game, here are their titles.

Niccea the great deceiver.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey the everlasting pardoner.
crocty the usual suspect.
waff-Man.
gullas the impaler
harkovast the patron saint of finger pointing.
Hakoshen the Spartan.
Pastel the Mass Murderer.

I think that's everyone.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Salsa at 4:16AM, July 21, 2009
(offline)
Thread's up!

Also I was not expecting the election to be over so soon. Would someone mind making a banner for this game? pwease?0^0
RAGE!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon