MAFIA... and other forum games

Mafia XX: GM Election
Hakoshen at 10:25AM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
The previous game has ended and after lots of ups and downs and thus it's finally time for a yet another GM election. Mafia veterans, you know the drill. Those who are new here, read this:

Rules and Conditions.

Veteran players only.
The GM needs to posses a fair understanding on how the game runs. Therefore we require that the applicant has played the game at least twice

No encore performance.
As the current GM, it is up to me to pass the title to someone new. Once you're done running a game, you will also be expected to give someone else a chance. Don't start a new game. Instead you will run an election like this one where we pick a new GM. Also, you can't be a candidate yourself. This will ensure that we get new blood into the game and that the rules are regularly picked at from a different perspective. GMs from older games are free to run again and are encouraged to do so. Who knows? If they were good enough, people will flock to play their game again.

Explain your goal.
What do you plan to do as the new GM? Are you going to run a standard Mafia game? If so, will you change the rules/roles and/or introduce new ones? Are you perhaps gonna play a game with a different theme? Reverse Mafia perhaps or maybe zombie apocalypse? If so explain the new structure of the game. Changing the formula is OK. It happens in almost every game. Just be careful not to introduce a change so radical that it could scare people away from voting you. You can discuss rule changes and different themes here to see if people would like it.

Pick a schedule and stick with it It is important that the GM is punctual in maintaining the game. Do you plan to post narrations every 24 hours at a specific time? If so, make sure that you'll be here to on time to do so. If something comes up that would force you to be early or late, post a warning to let people know with an explanation. It's encouraged that you run the game using GMT timezone schedule since the players hail from all over the world, spanning different time zones and a GMT conversion table is the easiest one for everyone to access. If you plan on using a different time zone schedule like an American one, Make sure you advertise it well and post an appropriate conversion table for everyone to access.
An example of a GMT conversion table:

“Here's how it works. Figure out where in the world you live and locate that place on the map. Follow the line you're living in down to the bottom of the map and locate a number down there. Use that number to change the time that the GM gives (as long as he's using GMT, that is). For example, if the GM says that something will happen at 6 pm and your living in a -5 zone, it means that it will happen at 1 pm, your time. If you live in a +5 zone, it means that it will happen at 11pm.”

Also for those living in America, here's a handy time table to show you at what time you can expect the narrations.

Show us your stuff The GM is expected to write narrations to explain what's going on throughout the game. A good writer can make the game come alive and encourage players to come back to read what's going on. Show us your stuff and create a scenario where YOU(the applicant) kill ME (the election holder). In this narration it is important that you do not directly tell us that it was you who committed the crime but instead leave a clue that's based on your name, avatar, signature, profile, comic(if you have any), something that can link you to the crime. Try making a link to you that can be figured out with some research, while at the same time is not blatantly obvious. You can throw in red herrings but please refrain from directly connecting the herrings to innocents. Make them instead vague things that could point at many people. Finally, be creative, funny, dramatic, brutal, serious, descriptive, vague, long winded or short and to the point. Pick the style you feel comfortable with and would like to use. Impress us with what you can do. At the end of the narration post an explanation that shows people how the clues link to you so that we can understand your logic.

I'll be posting the applicants sample narrations in the second post for people to quickly read through. Once we have enough applications I will announce when it's time to vote for your favorite GM. Applicants do not need to vote since it's given that they'll be voting for themselves. Although if they wish to vote for someone else, they can do so.

God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
martinlo_23 at 10:38AM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
Ok. I don't really want to be GM but I have played at least four times or more but…..IDK. I don't want to be GM.
DarkMartio rules.(That's me.) The cake is a lie. I heard u lieks mudkips.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
Niccea at 3:53PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
I'll put up my name next time. I would love the honor of running twenty, but finals week is coming.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
harkovast at 4:01PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
Martinlo has so much to teach us!
If only we'd take the time to listen….

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 4:13PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
So since I haven't played before, I can't play this one? Or is that just for the GM? I think I read it wrong?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
Rengishi at 5:15PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
Aone can play ,but this is GM the game signup comes later..,

After this game I can try on GM,and if voted,will rain hell on all my subjects for eternity (or till the game ends)
PSN account: OrangeDJ1
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:16PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
I did read it wrong…

*smacks head*
martinlo_23 at 5:19PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
Remember, ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

Yup. I got much to teach like Vast said.

Freakin' Townston has passed alot.

Angels, demons, fan boys and Now if you vote for me ZOMBIES!!!!
They'be like mafia pretending to be zombies, or zombies pretending to be mafia, anyway you will flip.
therealtj at 7:57PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
Running with my book idea again. In case you haven't seen it yet, the idea is this game has special events that happen each day/night cycle.

Mafia XX: The Book of Foreshadowing
It was an otherwise uneventful week in Townston. Well, except the mafia and whatnot, but this was pretty average for Townston. However, a strange book had come into the town. This book tells all the strange events that will soon befall Townston, and all the secrets about each townie. Unfortunately, it had been dropped, and an unsuspecting townie had picked it up, not knowing the powers it had. Now the race is on, to see who can get the book for their side first!

TOWNIE ROLES
The townie’s win condition is to find and kill all mafias.

Mayor
The Mayor is elected at the start of the game and has numerous roles. His special abilities are:
Seal of the Mayor: Increased vote count of 2 during lynching.
Desperate times, desperate measures: The Mayor can declare 2 double lynches anytime during the game When double lynches are in effect each player gets two votes on two different people.(must notify me during night cycle or early on in the day so voting can be arranged accordingly).
Did you ever know that you're my hero…: Cannot be killed during the night while his bodyguard(s) are alive. Only the Mayor will know who the bodyguards are.
Let's celebrate!: The Mayor has the option of insta-lynching one player by the end of Day 1 once he's won the election. No voting takes place. Whoever the Mayor picks, gets lynched. Take heed if you plan to use this ability since no clues have been given that could point you at a mafia at that time.

Pardoner
As a check and balance to the Mayor, the pardoner is the runner up to the Mayor. The pardoner has the ability to cancel two lynches throughout the game. This could be either two single lynches, one double lynch, one half of a double or whatever. The pardoner will have to notify me within one hour of lynch vote results before the lynch is actually posted. He is also unable to pardon on the insta-lynch.

Bodyguard
Random townies will receive the role of bodyguard once the mayor has been elected. The mayor alone will know who these people are. The bodyguard cannot be a mafia or special role, he can only be a regular townie. As long as the bodyguard is alive, he protects the Mayor and Pardoner from being killed via mafia or vigilante hit.

Vigilante
You have the ability to kill once per night, whoever you so choose. A clue will be left behind that points to you for the mafia (or the town) to interpret.

Paramedic
You have the ability to watch one other player during night, which you must tell me about before the end of night (this move can be made during the day cycle). When a player is watched he cannot die unless the number of people attacking him outnumbers the number of people watching him or his night lives. In other words if two mafia attack a person being watched by one paramedic, the person will die. The narrative will indicate that the target was attempted but saved, but it will not explicitly say who the target was. It does not matter if the paramedic chooses to watch someone before or after he is attacked; he will protect the person regardless.

Veteran
You've been around the block a few times and know how to escape an attack on your life. But for how long? The veteran gets two lives, meaning two hits must be made on him before he dies.

Paranoid
While pro-town, the paranoid is a wee bit unhinged by his experiences in some horrible and bloody war. At day, he's perfectly normal but during the night he keeps to himself and relives the horrors of his past. The Paranoid will kill whoever was the first person to target him in any way during the night, whether it be mafia or villager (such as a paramedic opting to protect him, or the book-hunter searching for the book). The Paranoid is unable to NOT kill, but will only kill one person a night. Should two persons attack him, the first person will die but the second will not.

The Book Hunter
Each night you can raid anyone's personal belongings to try and find the book.

The Preventer
If you know what event the book predicts for that day, you can prevent it from happening! However, the book gods don't approve of fraud. If you ask to prevent something that wouldn't happen, you'll be struck down. So, be careful if you just want to guess!

Book Holders (2)
Two random townie will find the books and hold onto them! Unfortunately, they don't realize the power they hold, so the only one of the book's powers they get to use is “Just Take It!”

Townie
You are a dedicated townie! Although you do not have any special abilities, you participate by solving clues, networking, and voting.

Additional, there are two books and when you obtain either you are granted their respectful abilities (they can be used once each cycle, day or night):
The Book of Roles
Magic Eight Bal- I mean, book: You can use the usual detective powers in the book. This includes two things:
-You can ask the roles of any two people. Note, this can only be used a total of two times. This means that if someone has the book and uses it twice, and someone else steals it, he can't use this power.
-You can ask if someone is linked to a specific murder.
List of roles: You can ask for the list of hidden roles.
Just Take It!: If at night, someone tries to kill you, you will just give up the book to them, and they’ll leave you alone.

The Book of Foreshadowing
What does the future hold?: Every day cycle, you'll be told what is going to happen that day. I will automatically send this out to you, and this won't affect your use of any other powers.
Just Take It!: If at night, someone tries to kill you, you will just give up the book to them, and they’ll leave you alone.

Obviously, there are mafia and serial killers, however these roles will be held from the town.

Narration will be up as soon as I can write it.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Randomdudeperson at 8:01PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(online)
You know, I FREAKIN HATE ROMAN NUMERALS!!! >:( I've been looking for XIIX instead of XX. :( Any way, I promised tj my vote this game.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM
Niccea at 9:00PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(offline)
Yeah. But they look sooo cool.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
Hakoshen at 10:25PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(offline)
Well, the election will Friday, so everyone has time to get their stuff in should they desire to, and also because I was talking this over with someone and it seems a few folks may be burned out from Mafia games. The extra time might prove a useful reprieve for anyone wanting to take a break as well for those of us finishing up their scholastic semesters.

In case anyone is wondering, TheRealTJ, being the only one to post a narrative is in the lead by default, but has two votes at present. If Martinlo changes his mind and decides to run he will have two as well.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 1:28AM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
I'm throwing my hat into this race.

Mafia XX Time War!

Townston has been wittness to many a horrible scene. Mafia vs. Townies, an epic struggle that has gone on since the dawn of time and one that will strech into the future. That is where our story starts. In the year 4000 the dream of time travel was reached. But the dream quickly became a nightmare for the Townies. For the Mafia fed up with the Townston Cycle of endless death and life, decided a plan to end this cycle of endless life and death. With future techonoly the mafia could go back in time to tamper with reality to corrupt the cycle so only mafia would come back. Unfortunly the Townies caught wind of this plan and when the mafia attacked the town hall, where the Time Portal was located they met heavy resistness. An epic battle left only two survivors. The Mayor and the Godfather. With an evil smile the Godfather. Leaped into the portal and into the past, with the Mayor close behind. Rewind to the present. Two lound ‘BANGS’ were heard by the people of Townston. Everyone ran to the where the noises came from to find two crators. There was a note in one of them. It read, “People of the past I am Future Mayor and I have chased Future Godfather to this time. I may have to call apon you to save your future and my present. P.S. I hope you premitives can read this.”

((I'll post the rest later.))

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:18PM
harkovast at 5:29AM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
martinlo has my full and unconditional support.
I am like the bra supporting the boobs of his campaign.
He is not a GM, he is a shiny golden GOD!

crocty at 10:59AM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
Just so I don't look like I'm not playing cuz of who wins, I declare now that I'm not playing the next mafia game, as clearly my heart was not in the last game AT ALL.

Have fun, you guuuuys
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
therealtj at 1:39PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
crocty
Just so I don't look like I'm not playing cuz of who wins, I declare now that I'm not playing the next mafia game, as clearly my heart was not in the last game AT ALL.

Have fun, you guuuuys
It was the avatar.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
crocty at 2:09PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
therealtj
It was the avatar.
NEW MAFIA BRO. WHERE DOING IT MAN.

WHERE MAKING IT HAPEN.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
seventy2 at 2:54PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
my tentative vote goes to TFGM….i wanna see the rest first.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
harkovast at 4:18PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
Crocty I am sorely tempted to vote for you with that avatar….

I TOLD YOU DOG!

martinlo_23 at 4:38PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
I vote for crocty. Or for the hark. THe most random person wins.
crocty at 4:56PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
harkovast

I TOLD YOU DOG!

Dangit!
If I run I'd just apply some MSPA theme, purely to alienate those who haven't read it!

Yeeeeah! >:D
martinlo_23 at 5:03PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
I vote for me.
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:43PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
If I'm allowed to vote, mine will go to therealtj because he has had the longest and most interesting of them. Even though there's only been one and…a half…posted.
Hakoshen at 6:52PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
crocty
harkovast

I TOLD YOU DOG!

Dangit!
If I run I'd just apply some MSPA theme, purely to alienate those who haven't read it!

Yeeeeah! >:D

You know I ALMOST read it after being so confused at your AIM status. That avatar is perfectly imitable.
-Harkovast
martinlo_23 at 7:17PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(offline)
I Am The 1337 Master
If I'm allowed to vote, mine will go to therealtj because he has had the longest and most interesting of them. Even though there's only been one and…a half…posted.

You are allowed to vote.
I think.
Randomdudeperson at 8:58PM, Dec. 1, 2009
(online)
martinlo_23
I Am The 1337 Master

You are allowed to vote.
I think.

Yep, just make sure you pm Hakoshen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM
harkovast at 4:49AM, Dec. 2, 2009
(online)
crotcy mspa theme would blow my mind!
Pickle inspector would be the veteran (cause he can use pickle distraction)
ACe Dick would be vigilante.
The mafia would be the Midnight Crew
Problem sleuth would be the detective (of course)
Hysterical Dame would be the paranoid

It would be the hot new game everyone is talking about!

therealtj at 5:19AM, Dec. 2, 2009
(online)
harkovast
ACe Dick would be vigilante.
No, Bathearst would be the vigilante.

I would vote for this idea.

harkovast at 6:45AM, Dec. 2, 2009
(online)
therealtj, good point….Zombie ace dick would be a paramedic. He would step in the way of any attack and absorb it by letting it hit him in the face and body!

crocty at 9:40AM, Dec. 2, 2009
(offline)
…..Maaaaan, now I really want to run….

I mean, there's
Mayor: Chosen Weasel Arbitor
Pardoner: Death (Lets them exit the afterlife!)
Vigilante: Bathearst
Paramedic: Zombie Ace Dick (The second paramedic shall be Fiesta Ace Dick.)
Veteran: Pickle Inspector
Detective: Problem Sleuth
Paranoid: Hysterical Dame
New role: Godhead Pickle Inspector, he is allowed to fondly regard any player in the game every night. This has no effect whatsoever.
Townies: Gentlemen

Godfather: Spades Slick
Mad bomber: Hearts Boxcar
Mafiosos: Diamond Droog and Clubs Deuce

I believe that's all the roles.
….I'll run with it some other time <_<;;

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon