Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Making a square with PS&
polo at 9:56AM, Dec. 2, 2007
(offline)
I had Photoshop 7 now for about a year, but i just started using it about four-five month ago! I don't know how to do the simplist things with PS like creating squares and some other basic stuff! I have to use Illustrator with PS to create a square! It would be really helpful if someone could share with me how to create a square and other basic shapes in PS! I would rather just create it in PS instead of opening Ill and stuff!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
CharleyHorse at 11:12AM, Dec. 2, 2007
(offline)
Hello Polo. I hope that someone can help you out here. I use the GIMP application myself, and so I'm certain the techniques are different. But on my application's tool panel is the outline of a rectangle. I just left-click on that, move the mouse cursor onto the canvass drawing area wherever I want a juncture of meeting right angles to begin, left click, drag the mouse, and then release when the box is where it needs to be and at the right size.

Step two is making the dotted line box permanent. I go to my menu and open the edit dialog. I find the Stroke Selection command, click on it and after this command menu opens I click on the thickness of the line I want , make sure that the Stroke Line and Solid Color buttons are active and that the correct ink color is selected so that the box outline will actually be visible, and then click on the Stroke command.

Whammo! I now have a box outlined in whatever color I selected.

Now, however, I have to left click somewhere on the drawing canvass to Select-None. This simply makes the box permanent on the canvass.

Now I have no idea if this is the same or even somewhat similar methodology used by PhotoShop people. I'm just laying down the GIMP version just in case no PhotoShop user replies.

All that aside, however, you really should enter the words ‘Photoshop tutorials’ in your search engine of choice, because there are thousands of free PhotoShop tutorials on line. Most of them come with illustrative pictures as well as explanatory text.

Good luck,

CharleyHorse
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
polo at 11:32AM, Dec. 2, 2007
(offline)
Thanks Charleyhorse, i guess i'll just have to continue to play with this version until i get it! Beside painting i barely use the toolbox and know very little about what some of those tools are meant for! I'm gonna just have to contiue play around with it till i get it! Thanks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
CharleyHorse at 1:57PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(offline)
You are welcome Polo. By the way, here's an entire page crammed with basic level tutorials for using PhotoShop:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshoptutorialsbasic/Photoshop_Basics_Tutorials_for_Photoshop_Beginners.htm

I think that one or two of them should have what you are looking for.

BlkKnight at 2:39PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
Another shortcut is to first use the selection tool and force it to the size you want. Then take the pencil tool (click and hold on the pen if it's not visible) and use shift+click to make your outline. Then remove the selection and viola! I use photoshop 7 on a regular basis so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
korosu at 6:25PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
It took me forever to figure out how to do that, too. ^_^;; Before I would make black box, then a white box that was a couple of pixels smaller, but it in the middle of the black one, and merge the two layers. What a pain. I've known for a long time how to use the stroke under Blending Options, too, but It just never occurred to me before that I could use to to make a box. Silly me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
BlkKnight at 8:41PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
Stroke option saved me on text bubbles. Kinda forgot about that one until then.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
CharleyHorse at 12:28PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
Yeah, stroke for dialog balloons is where I learned the technique. Sometimes I get into spacing trouble and a rectangular dialog box is a must. It never occurred to me not to treat it the same way that I would make a work balloon.
albone at 11:50AM, Dec. 6, 2007
(online)
No one bothered to mention the Marquee tool to create a square? It's the very first tool in the pallette. The best thing to do is do a google for a shorcut description and then play around with PS. PS is really wonderful, but there's a bit of a learning curve. Maybe look into a class at a community college?
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
CharleyHorse at 2:25PM, Dec. 6, 2007
(offline)
Well, sort of; although you have a good point in that being very specific helps when offering directions.

My instructions were for the GIMP application, which WOULD be called the marquee tool in PhotoShop, but NOT in GIMP. I called it “the outline of a rectangle” so that it would be recognizable.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved