Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Making Custom Comic Title fonts
cetriya at 10:17PM, June 10, 2007
(offline)
so what's your technique to making your comic title font ‘different’.

I tend to do the usual ‘overlay’ with filter effects.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
StaceyMontgomery at 3:32PM, June 11, 2007
(offline)

This one for “Ahoy Kids” is supposed to say “Pirates” but also “fun for the whole family” without, you know, making it sound like boring pirates. I must have gone through a million version before I got this - and they were mostly terrible.

For this one, the logo popped into my head all at once - what held me up was the catchphrase, which only came to me weeks later.

I generally do my logos in b&w, figuring I can add colors and FX as needed for specific uses. But i always start with b&w so that I know it will xerox OK and that I can make cheap T-shirts. I try to keep my logos and titles simple - there are so many out there that are hard to read!

I like to think these are different-looking logos, but they are obviously both based on the same fonts, the strongjaw/glassjaw font family made by Nate Piekos - who does the great comic Atland here on DD. I'm a huge fan of his fonts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
cetriya at 4:02PM, June 12, 2007
(offline)
wow! you really thought out the designs.

what program do you use to adjust the fonts?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
StaceyMontgomery at 7:05PM, June 12, 2007
(offline)
>

I do everything in Illustrator, actually. It's easy to convert text directly into vector-outlines, and then you can pretty much do whatever you want with them.

I love making logos - the hard part is not making them all the same. Somehow, a lot of my logos come out pretty similar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
glenfx at 6:01PM, June 13, 2007
(online)
Someone
>

I do everything in Illustrator, actually. It's easy to convert text directly into vector-outlines, and then you can pretty much do whatever you want with them.

I love making logos - the hard part is not making them all the same. Somehow, a lot of my logos come out pretty similar.

Yeah, Illustrator is the best for logo design.

BTW, in the pirate logo.. you need to align the composition. (actually i get this all the time since my wife is a graphic designer)

You can use a guide in the begining and end of the Ahoy Kids!, and then keep the “the Adventures of” limiting with those guides, then you can align the “Pirate Mom” between the H from “the” and the O of “of”. The word is “justify” ^^ (i allways forget that).
Oh and the Kids! can be aligned with th H from ahoy.

By justifying the text the logo improoves visually.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
gigatwo at 8:11PM, June 13, 2007
(online)
Sometimes, I take a boring font, convert it into a path, ad some crazy anchor points and make it look cool. Most of the time, I just take a boring font and leave it at that. Simple text blending is fun, but it's usually not the best route to take for a title. Those work better when standing out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved