Random Discussion

man petitions to marry comic-book character
subcultured at 2:52PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
lol
so if this gets passed, who would you marry?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081030/od_afp/japancartoonmarriageoffbeat_081030061822
Someone
A Japanese man has enlisted hundreds of people in a campaign to allow marriages between humans and cartoon characters, saying he feels more at ease in the “two-dimensional world.”

Comic books are immensely popular in Japan, with some fictional characters becoming celebrities or even sex symbols. Marriage is meanwhile on the decline as many young Japanese find it difficult to find life partners.

Taichi Takashita launched an online petition aiming for one million signatures to present to the government to establish a law on marriages with cartoon characters.

Within a week he has gathered more than 1,000 signatures through the Internet.

“I am no longer interested in three dimensions. I would even like to become a resident of the two-dimensional world,” he wrote.

“However, that seems impossible with present-day technology. Therefore, at the very least, would it be possible to legally authorise marriage with a two-dimensional character?”

Befitting his desire to be two-dimensional, he listed no contact details, making it impossible to reach him for comment to explain if his campaign is serious or tongue-in-cheek.

But some people signing the petition are true believers.

“For a long time I have only been able to fall in love with two-dimensional people and currently I have someone I really love,” one person wrote.

“Even if she is fictional, it is still loving someone. I would like to have legal approval for this system at any cost,” the person wrote.

Japan only permits marriage between human men and women and gives no legal recognition to same-sex relationships.

Japan's fans of comic books, or “manga,” sometimes go to extremes.

Earlier this month, a woman addicted to manga put out an online message seeking to kill her parents for asking her to throw away comic books that filled up three rooms.

Prime Minister Taro Aso is an avid fan of manga and recently complained that he has been too busy to read comic books since taking office.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
Inkmonkey at 3:04PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
So… who is he trying to marry?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
SpANG at 4:30PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
It's gotta be a setup for a dumb argument against gay marriages.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Warpedwenger at 5:29PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
… But if he wants to marry somebody that is imaginary why doesn't he just imagine that they're married? Batta-boom married! BTW Adrian is getting pretty desperate if anybody wants to marry her your free to.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:47PM
NickGuy at 9:05PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
what would piss me off is if i was the creator of the character he wants to marry. do i now have to draw this dickwad in my comic now?

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
HippieVan at 9:19PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
NickGuy
what would piss me off is if i was the creator of the character he wants to marry. do i now have to draw this dickwad in my comic now?

Well, if you created the character then you would decide whether or not the character would agree to the marriage, I guess.

I would want to marry Tintin. <3
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Pandafilando at 10:10PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
well someone mentioned gay marriages in this thread so my logic goes like this: if there could be marriages between two and three-dimensional beings, then there could be gay Tri/Two-dimensional marriage, and then there could be some kind of analogous state as transgenderism but more like Trans-dimensionalism , then i wan't to get a Dimensional reassign surgery :D so i could be immune to such malefic concepts as depth, volume and distance !!! …
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
ozoneocean at 10:14PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
Pandafilando
well someone mentioned gay marriages in this thread…
Hippie Van
Then I'm marrying Thor, just to deny him to Hippie Van :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
HippieVan at 10:16PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
Pandafilando
well someone mentioned gay marriages in this thread…
Hippie Van
Then I'm marrying Thor, just to deny him to Hippie Van :)

Well see, I'm married to Tintin but I'm having an affair with Thor…so he's cheating on you. I'm sorry, darling.
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
Product Placement at 10:19PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
I'm sorry. I tried and tried to come up with a good argument here but every time I started thinking about this I kept being stopped by the question of how their wedding night would work.

I mean will he puncture a hole on the magazine or something?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
ozoneocean at 10:28PM, Nov. 1, 2008
(online)
Hippie Van
Well see, I'm married to Tintin but I'm having an affair with Thor…so he's cheating on you. I'm sorry, darling.
Careful… Tintin's a jealous husband. Don't let him find out or he'll kill you both. Especially if he gets mad captain Haddock to help him o_O

…I think I have Tintin's phone number somewhere here… >:)

Chernobog at 1:37AM, Nov. 2, 2008
(offline)
Hrm, imagine a situation of an artist catering to this guy? He writes about what he'd like from said character in a married situation and the commissioned artist makes a personal monthly comic book just for him about it. Given the dissociative nature of it all, I bet someone out there would go for it.

This reminds me of an otaku I read about who obsessively writes about his love for a character from Evangelion and insists she's somehow real just for him.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
ozoneocean at 2:47AM, Nov. 2, 2008
(online)
Chernobog
Hrm, imagine a situation of an artist catering to this guy? He writes about what he'd like from said character in a married situation and the commissioned artist makes a personal monthly comic book just for him about it. Given the dissociative nature of it all, I bet someone out there would go for it.

This reminds me of an otaku I read about who obsessively writes about his love for a character from Evangelion and insists she's somehow real just for him.
Normally I'd say “hey, whatever rocks yer boat”, but that sounds really quite sad.

Perhaps the culture there really is just so amazingly different that this is weird to them, but not that weird?

Inkmonkey at 6:10AM, Nov. 2, 2008
(online)
Ah, I've heard the belief that fictional characters are real referred to usually as “Otaku-kin”. Basically, it's the belief that all fictional worlds actually exist out there, and writers/artists aren't actually creative, they just happen to get “signals” from these worlds and translate them into comics/cartoons/whatever (just like that episode of Justice League where they met the ersatz Justice Society). There's a lot of variations to it; some people think that these worlds simply are out there and that thought alone gives them comfort, some believe that the “souls” of fictional characters can be channeled, or that they themselves are the reincarnations of one of these characters! A common trait among all of them is to pass off anything the character does that they don't like just being part of the original artist misinterpreting the brain signals from another dimension. There's a lot of weird fan-girls out there who maintain that Sephiroth is perfectly nice guy that the game creators just didn't get right. I'm curious as to whether or not comicbookguy here actually believes his lady love is “real” in some way, shape, or form and is just too embarassed to admit it, or if he honestly understands that she's entirely fictional and just really wants to marry her anyway.
NickGuy at 8:16AM, Nov. 2, 2008
(online)
wait…which thor are you guys slepping with? john romita jr's version i hope. or at least bill sinkewicv(sp)

“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
Scheiden at 8:42AM, Nov. 2, 2008
(offline)
Guys fucking cars, bicycles, tables… and now guys who want to marry a 2d character?

What's happening to this world of ours? It's almost as if homosexuals requesting the right to marry weren't enough. But do not worry! God will DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL.

GOD HATES FAGS \m/

LOLOLOL

*This is a joke guys. I'm a gay girl*

Srsly though. I doubt something like this would be allowed. Still, the thought that these guys would rather prefer a 2d character over a real woman is creepy. I do understand that it's less demanding and convenient… but! A 2d character would never be able to give the soft caresses and warmth a real woman could give ._.

I doubt I'll ever opt to marry a 2d character.

Maybe except Poison Ivy… mmmmm mmm m… sexy. LOL

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
NickGuy at 8:55AM, Nov. 2, 2008
(online)
thats one of the problems with comics, IMO. it can get to a point where people care more aout the fake character than the creator behind it. its kind of like batman and frank miller. miller can go off and do sin city and everyone nods and smiles, but he turns around and makes batman laugh and enjoy himself and say goddamn, and people go psycho! It's ridiculous.

HippieVan at 11:27AM, Nov. 2, 2008
(online)
NickGuy
wait…which thor are you guys sleeping with? john romita jr's version i hope. or at least bill sinkewicv(sp)

Whichever one I can get my hands on. ;)
subcultured at 1:05PM, Nov. 2, 2008
(online)
i will only marry the comic girl if it was drawn by frank cho or adam hughes ^_^

J
Signz at 2:43PM, Nov. 2, 2008
(offline)
i heard about this awhile ago… sorta creepy xD

although if i was the creator of the character i guess i would be sorta flattered that perverts wanted to marry my creations. i'd probably do some sorta dick move and like kill off the girl as soon as the perv got the legal papers to marry her :3

also:

subcultured
Prime Minister Taro Aso is an avid fan of manga and recently complained that he has been too busy to read comic books since taking office.

Taro Aso = best prime minister ever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
ipokino at 3:17PM, Nov. 3, 2008
(offline)
The term for the belief in the reality of created fictional worlds is pandimensional multiperson solipsism. Two varieties, the otaku version and the western version which asserts that the creator builds the framework of the new dimension, but the sheer number of readers who believe in it–make it real. I like to think that within Gaia's structure, either of these possibilities could well be possible. All ya gotta do is believe!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
mike_mcpeeper at 6:34PM, Nov. 3, 2008
(online)
huh!? One word. Pathetic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 3:36AM, Nov. 4, 2008
(online)
This is truely sad.

One of my good friends, had a relationship with a girl, who was definitely obsessed with some anime guy. I mean, she was totally in love with the guy for some reason. And well, my friend had to break up with her for a while. And when he went to go ask her back out, she said something like, “But it'll affect my relationship with me an (insert that anime guy's name here)”

It was a real popular anime too…
I just can't think of the damn name.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Inkmonkey at 8:47AM, Nov. 4, 2008
(online)
ipokino
I like to think that within Gaia's structure, either of these possibilities could well be possible. All ya gotta do is believe!!!

Well, I guess she did make Captain Planet, so she must be pretty good at this sort of thing.
cool guy at 9:09AM, Nov. 4, 2008
(online)
If a guy would want to marry one of my characters I would have 2 words for him:

FUCK OFF
This life we live shall soon be past,only what's done for Christ shall last! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:45AM
kyupol at 11:42AM, Nov. 4, 2008
(online)

Just plug him into some matrix pod. There.

That would give him his “2-dimensional” world he so desires.

Isn't that great? Since this world is full of war, full of violence, full of hate. That one must seek to escape it.

The gateway to freedom is the form of a pod that was shown in the Matrix movie.

Time to take the blue pill. If thats the way to paradise. If thats the way to a place full of infinite love.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
SeriousQuiche at 3:38PM, Nov. 4, 2008
(offline)
I like my men three dimensional.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
subcultured at 4:00PM, Nov. 4, 2008
(online)
i like my women with 4 dimensional cups ^_^
J
kyupol at 9:38PM, Nov. 4, 2008
(online)
I wonder how it would like to file a divorce against a comic book character.

If I win in court, who is gonna pay me? Is a comic book character entitled to a lawyer? What rights does he/she have? If I'm about to die, can I sign over my last will and testament to a comic book character? Can she be the rightful owner of my millions of dollars (if ever)?

Is a comic book character a second class citizen? Or should they be given equal rights in the eyes of the law? I could just imagine a big rally demanding EQUALITY for comic book characters. Sort of like a civil rights kind of thing.

And what about same-sex marriages between a real man and a comic book man?

Oh wait a minute. I'm being politically incorrect. For implying that a comic book man is somehow inferior. They are both real dammit!!! Sorry for the political incorrectness.

I also wonder who will be convicted for a crime if me and my “wife” would conspire to rob a bank or murder someone. Who is the criminal and who is the accessory to the crime? How will she go to jail? Is there a specialized maximum security prison cell for comic book characters?

lol!

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
ozoneocean at 12:17AM, Nov. 5, 2008
(online)
kyupol
I also wonder who will be convicted for a crime if me and my “wife” would conspire to rob a bank or murder someone. Who is the criminal and who is the accessory to the crime? How will she go to jail? Is there a specialized maximum security prison cell for comic book characters?
I put a hit on you with my gay husband Thor.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved