Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Manga Studio 4
mattchee at 11:58PM, Nov. 17, 2008
(online)
Hey, I just noticed today that this is coming out later this month, and actually is downloadable from smith micro right now.

I know previous versions were not vista friendly (or so I heard), but this one lists Vista (home basic thru ultimate) in its requirements, so I'm curious… (Those of you who know me as an Apple user.. yes, i now have a PC as well…) if it will, in fact, work well with vista (anyone know anything?)

Also, the V.4 is for both debut and ex versions. My wallet prefers thinking about getting the debut version– quite a difference in price. Judging at least from previous versions, how much of a disadvantage would I be if I got debut vs Ex.

I currently do 99% of my drawing in photoshop, and i was looking for something a little more…. i dunno… i played around with the trial version on my G4 a while back, and i really liked the inking vs. photoshop. So i'm very curious. Any info/insight would be appreciated!

thanks!

Sorry if my post is a little erratic. its late….!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
thoththegrey at 4:54AM, Nov. 18, 2008
(offline)
I've tried to ink in Manga Studio, Photoshop, and Illustrator. So far, I've enjoyed inking in Illustrator the most. It gives me the sharpest, blackest lines.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
Walrus at 6:39PM, Nov. 22, 2008
(online)
How much does it cost? Or is it free?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
Jabali at 12:55PM, Dec. 2, 2008
(online)
Hi Matt, Do you want to use manga studio to help you with mid-tones screens or for digital inking? I'm just curious.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
mattchee at 3:05PM, Dec. 2, 2008
(online)
Franchy - I'm interested it in primarily for the inking. I'm fairly happy with photoshop (very comfortable with the program, for sure), i do have certain frustrations. MS's inking tools seem much more natural for inking.

Walrus - MS4 Debut is $49 USD and EX is $299 USD. I've found the big difference is that EX also has vector support, more import/export options, and a couple “advanced” tools… including quick mask mode.

I already work raster, had no intention of going vector, so the only big drawback for me would be the quickmask… because i'm a quickmask addict. But is it worth $150… no.

Skullbie at 4:21PM, Dec. 2, 2008
(online)
Manga studio is for making comics that are going to be in print, if you don't plan on having them printed it's a waste to be using MS's formating. I personally did not like it for this reason.(and I already had a shitload of screentones on photocock)

If the natural inking is what you like check into ‘Corel painter X’. Use the brushes called “pens” (not sumi-e) and you'll really like how natural it draws out. The only downside to corel is it's hard to refine things, you'll need to switch into photoshop constantly for tweaking.

Another option is Paint tool SAI, the smoothness of the inking is disturbingly good:
link to free english trial

From trying all the programs here is my personal ranking:
1.Photoshop cs4
2.Corel painter X
3.Photoshop cs3 or cs2
4.paint tool SAI
5.Whale shit
6.manga studio debut

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
BlkKnight at 4:39PM, Dec. 2, 2008
(online)
I tried MS at one point, but I'm so used to certain controls I have in photoshop that I couldn't get used to it. Now, I draw in Photoshop and then trace and color the image in Illustrator (yay, live paint).

Skullbie: Out of curiosity, what features really make Photoshop CS4 stand out from CS3?
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Skullbie at 4:52PM, Dec. 2, 2008
(online)
BlkKnight
Skullbie: Out of curiosity, what features really make Photoshop CS4 stand out from CS3?
Like all previous upgrades it's subtle and just enhancing the previous capabilities. The first thing that pops out is the awesome organization it has, your images are tabbed like firefox browser and you can drag an image under to create a split-screen effect to see both pics at once.(you can do this in cs3 but it's very awkward)

The inking is noticeably better, it's not natural like painter but the control it now has makes it the winner. Everything else is just subtle enhancements for quality, it's not jarringly better then cs3, not as much as i expected it to be at least.
Use the trial and see for yourself:
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

ozoneocean at 8:16PM, Dec. 2, 2008
(online)
CS4 has gimmicks too :)
It can use the processor on your graphic card to do silly things… The most useful of which is that it can make the image clear at any zoom level.

Apart from that it's almost entirely superficial and actually makes CS4 run worse than CS3 on about 25% (or more) of all Windows PCs and quite a few Macs too. (not a hardware issue but a programming quality problem)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
mattchee at 8:44AM, Dec. 3, 2008
(online)
Yes. I've wanted Painter X, but I don't think thats gonna happen (sigh).

For one thing, I do go to print. I really have no desire to do the entirety of formatting in MS… (all the paneling and pagination bs does not interest me, since I'd use various Adobe stuff for that) Just the pencilling and inking on a raw page to send out to PS for the final stuff and pre-press, etc. Hmmm…

I do see some limitations in the functionality of MS, though…

Interesting suggestions though, I'll check out that paint tool SAI.

On my various computers and work areas, I use CS, CS2, and CS3 all daily. While, yeah… it keeps getting better (I do have moments, especially with CS, where i go “why can't i DO this?”– I have more of a problem with Illustrator, though, I have v10 on my Apple, and its finally gotten to the point where it feels very antiquated when I come from work where I use cs2 all day)– As far as drawing and inking goes they all feel about the same.

Curious about CS4, but it will probably be days before I even touch that. I pretty much feel that if i can get what i need done on CS3 or even mostly too in CS, why pay out more? I'd really only be interested if there's some radical pre-press feature developments that I can't function without, which… at this point, we'd have to be waiting for the presses to catch up with it anyway.

Plus, too, to echo ozone, you also run the risk of bogging your system down with the new software.

blah….. I guess I'm just rambling at this point.

Gimme a stick o that Whale Shit, I need to go ink me something!

mattchee at 10:32AM, Dec. 4, 2008
(online)
Woah.

I looked into it further and found out that the academic discount price for painter x is $50!

Much better than the $400+ regular price tag.

Being a parent… I qualify! woo hoo!
Skullbie at 10:41AM, Dec. 4, 2008
(online)
remember when you make a new layer you must put it on ‘normal’ instead of ‘default’.(or multiply,overlay,whatever. anything that's not ‘default’)

then you can draw like in photoshop :P

Jabali at 5:00AM, Dec. 5, 2008
(online)
mattchee
Franchy - I'm interested it in primarily for the inking. I'm fairly happy with photoshop (very comfortable with the program, for sure), i do have certain frustrations. MS's inking tools seem much more natural for inking…

It just that I noticed what Skullbie said about the screens or midtones in MS. Unless you're going to print the comic, stay away form it. I'm also updating my equipment at home since it was very dated (MacOs 9.1). I had to settle with a PC and using Vista because my wife is a “PC-Girl” but to say the truth I had experience before using windows, so not big deal and thanks for the words of advice from many people here in the forums I stayed away from CS4.

For the moment I stay with CS3 and Freehand for my stuff, lol.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
mattchee at 9:54AM, Dec. 5, 2008
(online)
Jabali
mattchee
Franchy - I'm interested it in primarily for the inking. I'm fairly happy with photoshop (very comfortable with the program, for sure), i do have certain frustrations. MS's inking tools seem much more natural for inking…

It just that I noticed what Skullbie said about the screens or midtones in MS. Unless you're going to print the comic, stay away form it. I'm also updating my equipment at home since it was very dated (MacOs 9.1). I had to settle with a PC and using Vista because my wife is a “PC-Girl” but to say the truth I had experience before using windows, so not big deal and thanks for the words of advice from many people here in the forums I stayed away from CS4.

For the moment I stay with CS3 and Freehand for my stuff, lol.

I think OSX is superior (thru Tiger anyway, i have no personal experience Leopard). Its way more solid and isn't inclined to all the BS vista gives you. But I admit that I very recently purchased a new PC with Vista, and my trusty ol' G4 hasn't been getting as much love (I do work all day long on an iMac, though). For me… It just doesn't make sense to pay all the extra dough for Apple hardware (I'm not sure what the exact breakdowns are, but I'm sure its approaching double), when NOW Apple hardware is Intel based and basically a PC running OSX. Why not just open up OSX to all x86? (probably cause they're still making a killing off of the over inflated hardware prices, no doubt). The whole thing irks me. Plus, all of the software I owned probably wouldn't run to well with the Intel Macs (even with Rosetta: My work recently bought a intel macbook pro for an employee and put CS2 on it and she experienced constant crashes). So I would have been getting new software anyway.

But I digress. I work primarily on a PC now and am mostly very happy. Sorry about the rant!

Thanks for all the advice– I think I am going to try and work getting Painter X as a christmas present for me, now that I know about the discount.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved