Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

manga studio--- I ... just don't get it
Kristen Gudsnuk at 1:33AM, Nov. 14, 2006
(online)
anyone here use manga studio? I just got it, and it has really cool tones and everything but….
….!
Why doesn't it save into jpeg?
why the weird file format????
anyone who has this program and does manga-styled work, what dpi/ page size do you usually choose?
I've always heard that for webcomics you don't want more than 300 dpi, but it looks blurry and funny when I open up pictures that I drew in Manga studio with Photoshop.
help?!
^_^ I sound so frenzied -_-'
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
ShadowsMyst at 11:27AM, Nov. 14, 2006
(online)
*puts up hand* I do.

It does save to JPG, but you need to use the Export function to do so. For a webcomic, you do not need anything higher than 72DPI. For print you need 300 DPI, but a screen can never display more than 72 DPI, thus for anything web related thats the appropriate resolution. I believe you can export via pixel specification, so specifically how many pixels high and wide you want to go. I wouldn't have anything wider than 800 px for web. I usually end up with mine around 500 px wide when I'm posting to the web.

Tones export teh crap unless you modify the settings in the export properly. You can see a bit of that here and here. Both were done with MangaStudio.

Generally speaking I address it a couple of ways at the moment, because I'm still very much a noob myself in MS. The first way I deal with it is to do JUST the linework in MS ( so all the inking) and then export the clean line art as a high rez JPG. ( I use the default settings but set the export to export grey not tones.) and then handle everything else in photoshop, including coloring/shading/lettering and resizing it for the web. By shrinking it in photoshop, it eliminates any fuzzies, generally speaking. If I want to do tones, I'll do it in MS, get all the base shadeing done, then export it and put shadows and lettering in photoshop. I ALWAYS do the resizing/resolution adjustments in photoshop. I still haven't found a satisfactory way of doing this in MS yet.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 9:07PM, Nov. 14, 2006
(online)
thanks a lot! especially regarding the “export” tidbit– I drew out the lines for a WHOLE PAGE (fastidiously, too!!!) and then when I tried to open it it was blurry and icky. now I have THE SOLUTION!! :D!!!
btw those pictures are amazing!!!!! (jealous!!!)
Kristen Gudsnuk at 9:13PM, Nov. 14, 2006
(online)
oh, noob question #2: is there any way of getting those blue lines to go away? Like, the ones that are there even when you open a new document? They're distracting… -_-.
hpkomic at 9:42PM, Nov. 14, 2006
(online)
I always do my artwork at around 600 dpi, then scale it down for web.

Makes things nice and smooth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 12:46PM, Nov. 16, 2006
(offline)
Kristen Gudsnuk
oh, noob question #2: is there any way of getting those blue lines to go away? Like, the ones that are there even when you open a new document? They're distracting… -_-.

When you click the ‘new page’ button to get a new page, a little screen will show up. Before clicking ‘okay’, there is a little checked box in the middle that says ‘inside dimensions’ that you have to uncheck. The blue lines will go away after that.

The only reason why it does that is because that's the measurements and dimensions for Tokyopop.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
ShadowsMyst at 2:25PM, Nov. 17, 2006
(online)
er actually its just generally the guidelines for various common manga page sizes. If you want the exact tokyopop page size, you have to make one for yourself.

I found a good site with some good info people into MS might want to check out if they haven't already:

http://www.pencilkiller.com/tutorial.html

There is quite a bit there.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 6:32PM, Nov. 17, 2006
(offline)
ShadowsMyst
er actually its just generally the guidelines for various common manga page sizes. If you want the exact tokyopop page size, you have to make one for yourself.

*small annoying giggle*

I know :D I just didn't word it right.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Knuckles at 11:20AM, Nov. 20, 2006
(offline)
ShadowsMyst

I found a good site with some good info people into MS might want to check out if they haven't already:

http://www.pencilkiller.com/tutorial.html

There is quite a bit there.

Wow! that's a great link! I can do a lot of that same stuff with ComicWorks, too! Thanks a bunch for that link! I need to bookmark that.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved