Media Megaforum

Manga to Anime
PhatScurl at 6:13PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(offline)
We've had several topics that kind of drifted into this discussion, but im just curious in everyboy else's thoughts on it, without having to search through the thousands of anime topics.

What made me bring this up is because i've officially lost all hope in the transition, today.

Bleach by Tite Kubo has been my favorite manga ever since it came out in the states, i think its just awesome.

I've been avoiding watching the actual anime on Youtube, because i've rarely enjoyed Anime's when i've read the mangas. But today i got a sneak preview episode (before it comes on to Cartoon Network) in my latest issue of Shonen Jump. Usually before i throw away the massive amounts of trash in the issue, i take a look at it. So i sat down and forced myself to watch Bleach episode 1.

My first problems are just my usual ones. Its not how i imagined the voices being when i read the comic and the style is just slightly changed (why do the artists do that?).

Then it came to major flaws. They through in a bunch of this extra unnescessary crap that wasn't in the comic. Millions of people read Tite Kubo's manga, because it kicks ass as it is. “If it ain't broke, don't fix it.” I'd seriously like to watch one Anime that was just a simple animation of the comic. NO EXTRA UNNESCESSARY STUFF! Also of course there was the problem where they take out the bloody scenes for the kiddies.

Bleach is a very bloody comic, for starters, and if your letting your kids watch a show that opens with a guy beating up 4 guys with a single foot, your encouraging your kid to do some pretty stupid stuff.

Plus, blood is real, its just something God decided to give us. If my arm is getting chopped off, im expecting to see blood. If you take away blood from a show (especially the amounts they did) you ultimately lose a sense of reality with the show and it makes it more difficult to relate too.

Anime artists. All i want to see in my Anime is that few extra seconds i missed inbetween panels, that's it. Don't try to impress me with episodes where nothing happens, i don't want to see that. I'm buying your manga, and i like it, leave it alone and just animate it. All you got to do…im not sure this is getting through to you guys.

You guys have any other problems?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
ozoneocean at 6:23PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Hmm… Well all the animated versions of Ghost In The Shell worked pretty well. They were all different from the manga, but I liked them all anyway. :)
Even that Playstation game.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Rich at 6:25PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Reminds me of the difference between the Inuyasha manga and the anime. The manga has constant asskicking, dismemberment, blood, gore, and awesome. The anime just has dudes smaking each other with big energy waves coming out of their swords.

I guess noone ever feels like making a direct adaptation. Maybe it's because if they make it tame enough, they can market it to little kids who will make the parents buy all the merchandise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Kxela at 7:50PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
watching the anime first usually makes reading the manga that much better. Instead of you saying “hey they left this part out” while watching it, you'd be “whoa, that never happened in the anime” while reading it :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
kaminari at 8:09PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Some anime is designed to coincide with the manga too, so if you don't read the manga then you don't know what the hell is going on or they make refrence to some situation in the manga that wasnt in the anime (Cromartie High pokes fun at this and say you have to read the manga to find out but incidentally the reason was included in the live-action movie version.)

Then there are some anime series like RGVeda and Berserk that start the story but don't come near finishing it.

I say both are worth a chance. *nod*
but I would agree that watching the anime first is best because you might not be as dissapointed with it.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
Inkmonkey at 8:50PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Some changes can't be helped…

Like, stylistic changes are often based on how the artist is drawing now, as opposed to how it looks when it was originally drawn (or even how it looks at the volumes they've translated into English).

Now, as for changes to the story… many people are of the mind that, if it's exactly the same as the comic in every conceivable way, why bother doing it again in a different medium? That's a bit insulting to the original material, in a way, by saying, “sure, this is fine, but it's just not good enough as a comic”. So changes are made to make the work distinct in its own right. Other times the original author is disappointed with their early work (which I'm sure we can all relate to), and has since thought of a way to improve the story by altering aspects of it.

“Filler” episodes (those short segments that don't relate to the main plot and are made up just for the cartoon) have a number of reasons for popping up. A big source of them is just a neat idea that the original author has never been able to fit into the story as he's been writing it, and so hands it off to the animators to have some fun with. Or alternatively, a writer for the show could also have a nifty idea, but I take it those are some of the ones you're complaining about.

A big problem with a cartoon based on an ongoing series is that, despite the vast amounts of time needed to animate, because so much can be fit into a single episode it's not uncommon for a cartoon to pass it's source material completely by; it's happened to Kenshin, InuYasha, Naruto, and many, many others. The choice at that point is to either create filler episodes and wait for the comic to get far enough ahead to continue animating the “main story” again, split from the continuity of the story and have the animation crew make up their own story (Hellsing, Trigun, etc.), or to just cancel the series all together (InuYasha).

Now, the first one allows the animators to maintain interest from the general populace while the series is on what is basically “hiatus”, but also risks annoying dedicated fans desperate for more story. This is especially problematic for series' that avoid filler episodes through the whole run, because if not spread out they tend to lump into one (occasionally excruciatingly) long story arc where, in the end, nothing really happens. So be thankful when you see the one-off filler episode; that means you're not going to be seeing 8 or 9 (or 30) of the damn things in a row.

Split continuity has some great potential, if you can get writers who are as skilled or better than the original artist. The problem often is that, while adept at converting the concepts of a comic to a feasible screenplay, some writers just can't come up with an original idea to save their lives. This option is ideal for those who feel strongly that an animation should be different and fresh and justify being seen in addition to the source material.

For the purist, simply putting the property on hiatus is probably the best. New stories aren't made up, characters aren't changed, no pointless filler arcs, etc. The problem here isn't just one of the content, but societally. It's big gamble on a company's part to put something like this on hiatus, because they risk losing their audience and the support of the sponsors in the interim period. Many shows that end up on “hiatus” end up never being picked up again…

As far as censorship goes, I'm against it, but sometimes that's just the way things go. Usually, of course, it's done to make the series more “marketable,” but it's not always the creator trying to milk more cash out of it; sometimes the only company that will take a series is one that won't take it unless it's “cleaned up” a bit. In those situations, the artist sometimes has to ask themselves, “Is seeing her tits flop out of that armor really necessary to understand the character,” or “can this scene be impactful enough with just a silhouette of blood instead of a silhouetted torso”? If the artist is confident enough in the base story (or just really wants to make more money) the answer is a resounding “probably”.

I don't know what some people think the reasons are for changes between a source material and the finished work, but I assure you that it's almost never done with evil intent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
HellAshes at 10:23PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(offline)
If you look at Trigun, they didn't change anything from the manga, and the anime turned out awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Terminal at 11:02PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Akira, both the manga version and the movie worked pretty well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
jalford at 4:45AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
There's also manga based on anime series. I thought the Nuku Nuku, Tenchi Muyo, Cowboy Bebop, Heat Guy J, Darkstalkers, and Street Fighter: Cammy mangas were pretty well done.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
isukun at 6:48AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
The Nuku Nuku manga came first.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ccs1989 at 4:34PM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
Berserk is much better as a manga, the Kyoto Arc of Kenshin was better as an anime, and I liked Azumanga Daioh better as an anime. Also Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are better in their original anime form then in their adapted manga forms.

Anything with a lot of filler eps is usually bad. I also got the first episode of Bleach from SJ. I'll watch it this weekend and see if they did a really bad job for myself.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
jalford at 3:04AM, Oct. 27, 2006
(online)
Actually, the Nuku Nuku manga takes place after the first half of the original OVA because there's a chapter in the manga called Chapter 3 1/2.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ccs1989 at 4:20PM, Oct. 27, 2006
(online)
Hey, I watched the first episode of Bleach. Your right, it sucks. Dubbing is just plain terrible, music isn't very good, and the plot of the first episode was bad.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
isukun at 7:37PM, Oct. 27, 2006
(online)
Actually, the Nuku Nuku manga takes place after the first half of the original OVA because there's a chapter in the manga called Chapter 3 1/2.

Maybe so, but the OAVs credit the manga and its author from episode 1. Also, check any information site and they will say the OAVs are based on the manga. Mangas aren't necessarily complete when a series goes into production. The manga started in 1990, while the OAVs weren't released until 1992.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Juliechan at 6:13PM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)

When manga is turned into anime you have to understand that instead of having a say, forty paged chapter they have a thirty minute episode. Yes, they could stuff everything into one episode. But where'e the fun in that? They want their stuff to sell. So instead of making (for example) a seven episode anime that follows the exact storyline of the manga, they cut it up and draw it out so they can make maybe a twenty-six episode anime for it.
But even if they wanted to cut up one chapter or one section into one episode sometimes theirs not enough material to come to the exact amount of minutes they need for each program, so they are forced into adding in a scene here or there.
Another logical possibility is that some people don't feel like watching the SAME thing they could read (vise-versa) and it gets tiring so they decide to put their own little spin on it.

There is no EXACT answers; a lot of possibilities come into play when making an anime from off a manga. Sometimes I like it when they change things here and there, sometimes it's even fun when they change the story completely. ( OAV for example )
It can be frusterating at times, but as they say: ‘No use crying over spilled milk’.
I suggest don't worry too much about it and enjoy the anime/manga for what each of them is and don't worry too much about how much diffrent or not diffrent they are from each other.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
AQua_ng at 4:58AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
It's like a port from one console to another. People would want some other things thrown in with the original to make them want to experience it again and not just because it's on a bigger screen. SRSLY.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
Tantz Aerine at 1:52PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
I believe that whichever was done first (the original) is usually the best version of the two; and I remember that I was completely turned off with the Kenshin episodes after the Kyoto arc…

…however, if kids are going to watch the anime, I am not sure I would have liked to see the same level of bloodiness there is in the manga. It can be disturbing for a kid.

I would dig an action movie of Kenshin, tho… *dreamy eyes*

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Rich at 2:00PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
Tantz Aerine

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayel is pretty close to that. Sure, it's an OVA, but it's been recut to run straight through like a 2 hour movie. (Note: You WILL cry at the end of it. I guarentee it)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Tantz Aerine at 2:33PM, Nov. 10, 2006
(online)
Rich
Tantz Aerine

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayel is pretty close to that. Sure, it's an OVA, but it's been recut to run straight through like a 2 hour movie. (Note: You WILL cry at the end of it. I guarentee it)

I know of its contents (and I would love to be made to cry by a movie, it's been a long time since last time)… but I have to wait for it a little :/ I shelled out enough to get the entire manga series from the internet, as they are not available in Greece. Gotta wait a little for the OVA.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved