Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Map Making.
Piscareous at 7:33AM, May 16, 2007
(offline)
Does anybody have any specific way of creating maps. Like of an area in your story, or the whole world even. Should I just make random shapes and just call it a day?
“Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance”
{url=http://www.drunkduck.com/Serenade_Song/}
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
harleydane999 at 8:11AM, May 16, 2007
(online)
When I draw maps, I draw a few random shapes. After that I add details like mountains, lakes etc. It's the easiest way and the little details make it look quite profesional
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
patrickdevine at 5:17PM, May 16, 2007
(online)
I start with random shapes and add geographical details that I think should be there and build as a process. For example if the story has a harbour in it I change the shape of the land mass to have a concavity where a harbour should go, then I think that there should be a river near by so I draw one. Then I think there should be a source for the river I just drew, mountain runoff maybe? So I draw a mountain. I also put smaller islands around a larger landmass because it seems appropriate to me.
Other features like towns, forests, deserts etc. just use common sense, like where those things generaly form and why. Is that of some help?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Piscareous at 6:52PM, May 16, 2007
(offline)
Thanks to the both of you. Those are some nice suggestions, very helpful.:)
Darth Mongoose at 4:58AM, May 17, 2007
(online)
Oh geez. I find map-making to be a horrific undertaking. Maybe I think about this too much, but consider:

Mountain ranges tend to be created either by volcanic erruptions or by continents bumping into each other, and can cause valleys to be carved out by glaciers. Behind large mountain ranges, deserts can appear, since mountains catch precipitation. Add to this that coastal areas are wetter than inland areas, islands and valleys can have micro-climates, coastlines are eroded by the sea, and not to mention the impact humans have on a landscape (pastoral England as I know it was once largely forest) and you have one BIG headache on your hands. Also, fantasy maps are dreadful for not having nearly enough human settlements or roads on them. Historically, cities were extremely rare, and most people lived in small, scattered, farming communities, of which there were loads, most of them only a small number of miles apart.
Of course, you can go the easy, innacurate route. Draw continent shapes, split them into countries, and if nessesary, split countries into provinces, counties, states or whatever. Stick a capital city in each country, a state capital in each county, and keep working down from there to cities, towns and villages. Settlements can generally only form in places with food and water, and preferably some other resource or trade, s many settlements will be in places with a river or resevoir, plenty of farmland, and close to maybe the sea, a mine, some mountains or something.

Good luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Piscareous at 6:53AM, May 17, 2007
(offline)
Darth Mongoose
Oh geez. I find map-making to be a horrific undertaking. Maybe I think about this too much, but consider:

Mountain ranges tend to be created either by volcanic erruptions or by continents bumping into each other, and can cause valleys to be carved out by glaciers. Behind large mountain ranges, deserts can appear, since mountains catch precipitation. Add to this that coastal areas are wetter than inland areas, islands and valleys can have micro-climates, coastlines are eroded by the sea, and not to mention the impact humans have on a landscape (pastoral England as I know it was once largely forest) and you have one BIG headache on your hands. Also, fantasy maps are dreadful for not having nearly enough human settlements or roads on them. Historically, cities were extremely rare, and most people lived in small, scattered, farming communities, of which there were loads, most of them only a small number of miles apart.
Of course, you can go the easy, innacurate route. Draw continent shapes, split them into countries, and if nessesary, split countries into provinces, counties, states or whatever. Stick a capital city in each country, a state capital in each county, and keep working down from there to cities, towns and villages. Settlements can generally only form in places with food and water, and preferably some other resource or trade, s many settlements will be in places with a river or resevoir, plenty of farmland, and close to maybe the sea, a mine, some mountains or something.

Good luck!

If you could only see my spinning around from the amount of information you just gave. Thanks alot.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved