Media Megaforum

Michael Richard's Explodes
SarahN at 1:10PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
http://www.playfuls.com/news_0003381_Richards_aka_Seinfelds_Kramer_in_Racist_Row.html
…..what the HELL happened there?!
I know it's celebrity news, but that really threw me off. O_o

There's a video on the net of it, but I can't find it at the moment.

Gah…title typo….
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
subcultured at 2:14PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1772645
i'm surprised no one rushed the stage
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Terminal at 3:34PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
Hmm, I only got until the part he said “nigger”, the rest I could not understand due to the videos low quality. :(

..This is surprising though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
SarahN at 3:43PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
Terminal
Hmm, I only got until the part he said “nigger”, the rest I could not understand due to the videos low quality. :(

..This is surprising though.
In the link I gave it has a few of the things he said.
Talk about diving head-first into a giant pile of shit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
subcultured at 4:07PM, Nov. 20, 2006
(online)
the video is kinda misleading becuase it was after the fact that he was heckled. not that i condone him using the n-word. it's out of context.

here's how you handle someone talking on your show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHnQ_C1uy1M

utube version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T7uKvpzVXI

on the news
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEcz9T3MuL4
J
ConroyConroy at 7:57AM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
I think he needs some serious help.

All comedians get heckled! Why on earth would he react like that? That's just insanity.
num num
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
SpANG at 9:09AM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
Geez.

Career = G A M E O V E R
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
subcultured at 10:31AM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
it did get him some press time, it might actually boost his career. ie pauly shore faked his won death.
J
SpANG at 10:42AM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
Actually, if you think about it from his POV; here had hecklers caling him “cracker” throughout his set, and telling them how much he sucked. A comedian has a few choices when they get a heckler. One, they can walk off stage and be defeated. Two, a better comedian would have insults to shut up a heckler in their arsenal. But, he went with what he thought was a good retailaition. “If you call me ‘cracker’ or ‘white boy’ why can't I call you ‘nigger’? Isn't that hypocritical?” Of course, I am paraphrasing. ;)

Not that it's right, but I'm pretty sure that was his mindset. Remember, the heckler was being an asshole, too.
subcultured at 10:47AM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
at least a few people got on tv for it. i don't think he meant any harm from it. just a bad night for a guy who's career is failing. it's hard to be up there and I'm not to sure how long he's been doing stand up. he's more of a physical comedian than stand up.
J
Hawk at 2:01PM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
SpANG
Actually, if you think about it from his POV; here had hecklers caling him “cracker” throughout his set, and telling them how much he sucked. A comedian has a few choices when they get a heckler. One, they can walk off stage and be defeated. Two, a better comedian would have insults to shut up a heckler in their arsenal. But, he went with what he thought was a good retailaition. “If you call me ‘cracker’ or ‘white boy’ why can't I call you ‘nigger’? Isn't that hypocritical?” Of course, I am paraphrasing. ;)

Not that it's right, but I'm pretty sure that was his mindset. Remember, the heckler was being an asshole, too.

Dang, that context paints a very different picture. And here I thought the guy had just gone off the deep end. Now we at least know some of the reasoning behind it. Thanks for bringing that to light.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Terminal at 2:03PM, Nov. 21, 2006
(online)
SpANG

You think the media cares about the heckler? They'll just cut the video to make it seem as if Richard is a racist. It's juicy stuff it is.
ozoneocean at 5:51AM, Nov. 22, 2006
(online)
Kramer annoyed the crap out of me in Sienfeld… George was 10x funnier… even Elaine!

Aw… big bad celeb offended some people because he had his feelings hurt. STOP THE PRESSES!

Initially it sounded much worse than it is. It's still pretty bad because he lost his cool SO very badly and said some STUPID, STUPID things. But those guys were already ruining everyone's fun and really deserve to have their stupid feelings hurt.
The trouble is that dumb Richards didn't just hurt their feelings (and they did deserve it!), he's offended everyone, even me, SO ironically it makes what his moron hecklers said true.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
subcultured at 6:21AM, Nov. 22, 2006
(online)
i was only able to hear half the things he said. i turned it down until the end where he walks off.
J
Obsidian at 11:13AM, Nov. 22, 2006
(online)
SpANG

It's more than being an asshole, but it is okay you just possibly cannot understand how this comedienne has hurt me and all those who are of my culture.

I have seen the video. I do not know what the hecklers were calling him before he snapped, but I know after he snapped, the man alluded to how the hecklers would have been lynched 50 years ago (for heckling a white comedienne? Is death not harsh? Threaten to beat em' up. It's like yelling to Jewish folk “50 years ago we'd have shot you in the head and thrown you in an oven”), and obscenely yelling “look there's an n-word, there's an n-word” (as if they and other Black people weren't allowed to be there and the police should take them away), the hecklers got upset and called him a cracker.

Now, watching that clip made me sick since 1) I am Black, and 2) I believe in being individually held accountable for one's actions. He didn't just use the n-word, which would have been bad anyhow (and that extends to all the people here freely tossing about the word, although you are using it to discuss), he used it in a highly negative way and then made historical references about a way we Black people used to get terrorized and murdered by white people if we “stepped out of place”. It was thoroughly offensive and this guy lacks tact and sensibility. By all accounts, yea he acted like a racist, with much emphasis on “acted” (lots of people deny being racist, but yet sure as hell act like one). By addressing the heckler's cultural background, he did not find fault with the heckler as a person, he found fault with the group from where the heckler came. He found fault with me, yet probably will never admit it!

Calling someone a cracker does not carry the same historical weight that being called an n-word does. Can you imagine a festering slave ship filled with bond and filthy white people while Black overseers harshly and degradingly call them cracker; or white people being put on auction blocks while Black people paw over their naked bodies, before selling them like cattle to either be bred or worked to death, calling “crackers for sale”; being called cracker as your head is cut off and mounted on a slave ship to warn other crackers to keep in line and behave; or even a whole white family being lynched becase a Black female claimed the husband raped her and the crowd of Black people yelling “cracker” at them, and afterwards cutting off thier “cracker” sexual organs, eyeballs and tongue, and skinning them as suviners? The n-word has been used that way and worse. No cracker, where ever it came from, is more a way Black people can counter oppressive words directed towards them in an eye for an eye type of way. Like “gringo” with hispanic people.

Though it is not appropriate to use, the heckler retaliated to having his family, friends, and ancestors dissed by this disgruntaled comedienne by using the word cracker. Frankly if I were there I would have booed and I feel the other Black memebers of the audience should have showed support for the heckler (it was cool that people left, just more people should have been vocal about how dastardly and wrong the man's actions were). I don't really like hecklers, but darn it that comedienne really crossed the line by using words that make every Black individual at fault for him being heckled by this one man. Darn this world … that I can't be treated as an individual and be held accountable for my actions as an individual. If I heckle, I expect to be addressed back, not made to feel as though it is my skin color's fault that I heckled (rather than me being a rude person). That's lame. As an aside, white people rule this world, so using such words carry even more weight, especially the way he used them. So very very frightening. *shivers* But that is how this world works when you are the conquered.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
SpANG at 6:03PM, Nov. 22, 2006
(online)
I don't disagree. Like I said, it wasn't a good comeback. And you're right that it wasn't a proportional resposne. But if you back someone into a corner, they will probably lash out. That just the human condition.

And to be clear, I was offended by it, even though I'm white. Everytime a white person says that stuff, I hang my head in shame. It makes white people look like stupid racist idiots, like we are all a bunch of bigots, like he's speaking for all of us, when that simply isn't the case. I was just trying to point out how slanted the media was, not showing the hecklers remarks, and the big news teams saying that he just “went on a racist tirade! For no reason!” And then they interview the heckler that says, “I was just sitting there, minding my own business. Oh, I might have said, ‘You’re not funny, but that was it.'” The heckler was a jerk. Richards was an even bigger jerk. But I need to put it in perspective, otherwise I'll go nuts. And Richards doesn't speak for me. He doesn't speak for white people. He just said some stupid, really, really, stupid stuff.

I really don't see Michael Richards as a particulary good stand up comedian. A good stand up would have probably done just what you said, but he's not good, and he got stupid and angry. But I enjoyed his antics in Seinfeld. I won't stop watching Seinfeld just because he said something extremely dumb. I'll probably remember what he did though, and I probably won't find him as funny anymore unfortunately.

Either way, he's paying a price for it. Big time.

What I really didn't get is the apology on David Letterman. I mean, come on. It's a comedy show. How will people take that apology seriously? Bad move.
ozoneocean at 3:59AM, Nov. 23, 2006
(online)
Hmm, taking so personally the historical crimes that would have happened far beyond “living” memory, in the time of Great, great grandparents at least… “White” people don't rule the world, that's extrapolation of local experience and socially constructed knowledge: too many ethnicities, social structures, communities, power relations, and class structures to even contemplate, let alone come to a general conclusion world wide. Though it could certainly look that way at a “local” level, but that's true of any situation.

In spite of all that Obsidian I actually agree with you! :)
Mostly.

This raises some questions worth putting in the debate forum.

Obsidian at 8:19AM, Nov. 23, 2006
(online)
ozoneocean
Hmm, taking so personally the historical crimes that would have happened far beyond “living” memory, in the time of Great, great grandparents at least… “White” people don't rule the world, that's extrapolation of local experience and socially constructed knowledge: too many ethnicities, social structures, communities, power relations, and class structures to even contemplate, let alone come to a general conclusion world wide. Though it could certainly look that way at a “local” level, but that's true of any situation.

In spite of all that Obsidian I actually agree with you! :)
Mostly.

This raises some questions worth putting in the debate forum.

Well, :) I take these things to heart. I am so sensitive, and stories and traditions and respect for elders and my long dead ancestors run strong in my family (hurt my ancestor and it is like your hurting me. Somewhat like those old martial arts films where you have one family feuding with another because the other family disrepected their ancestor long ago. I am not that bad, but it still hurts, especially when see examples of behaviour as with Michael Richards. I get crossed. :P). I forget that this attitude is not the same for all.

And as for “rule the world” I should have explained that more. I meant it in a power and influence way. It won't be the same everywhere, but for the most part western influence is felt all over the world in a lot of facets (culture being a huge one - media, style of dress , etc …). White people rule the Western World (sans South America, unless you want to say that most of the Hispanics who rule SA (minus the ones who are mixed Spanish and/or native and/or Black and/or Indian, and the native and Black populations down there) are culturally Spanish and thus considered white).
Terminal at 11:12PM, Nov. 25, 2006
(online)
I agree with the apology, but money? …seriously?
ozoneocean at 11:45PM, Nov. 25, 2006
(online)
They need seperate kicks up the arse and so does Richards.
Seriously, why do wankers waste our time with this rubbish?

subcultured at 7:15AM, Nov. 26, 2006
(online)
maybe he lost a coin toss with the seinfield cast to do something really stupid to gain media attention.so far he's been on letterman and is on everyone's lips..i mean isn't the new box sets of seinfield videos coming out? follow the money trail and you will get most of the answers of the universe
J
jalford at 2:49AM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
The thing I think blew it out of proportion are guys who think just because they're black that Richards should come to their house, get down on his knees, and apologize to them personally. It's okay to be offended, even if the remarks made by someone like Mel Gibson and his whole anti-Jew thing are made public. But don't pretend like they were making some kind of public statement about an entire race, nationality, religion or whatever. Most of the time, those remarks are taken out of context, and then the media hypes it up alot, despite it possibly being on tape or video. Sure, that person looses their cool, and for a minute slip up and maybe reveal some of their true feelings about a particular type of persons. But it's not like they went and made a speech about it at some ralley or something. If you want to be mad at somebody, be mad at the real racists. The guys who where pillowcases over their heads and parade through town carrying picket sings telling people to go back to their own country. The ones who are actually committing acts of racism and prejudice as part of their lives. Save your ammo for those guys.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ccs1989 at 1:52PM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
subcultured
maybe he lost a coin toss with the seinfield cast to do something really stupid to gain media attention.so far he's been on letterman and is on everyone's lips..i mean isn't the new box sets of seinfield videos coming out? follow the money trail and you will get most of the answers of the universe

You know, I never even thought about that, but I DID see an Ad for Seinfeld Season 7 on TV yesterday. Hmmm…
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
kaminari at 4:14PM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
It wouldnt be the first time he made an outrageous outburst in front of an audience, but that turned out to be planned between him and Andy Kaufman I believe.

Scroll down to the section called “The Andy Kaufman Incident”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fridays

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
Obsidian at 4:26PM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
jalford
If you want to be mad at somebody, be mad at the real racists. The guys who where pillowcases over their heads and parade through town carrying picket sings telling people to go back to their own country. The ones who are actually committing acts of racism and prejudice as part of their lives. Save your ammo for those guys.

As far as bigots go, the extreme ones (like the KKK) get a lot of respect in my book. Why? Because I know exactly where their crazy butts stand. So if I were to go to a comedy club and start heckling one of them I would know what to expect (lots of n-word using). Matter of fact I would know to just plain avoid the club and not give them my money for supporting folk like that.

I hate it when it is ambiguous like with people such as Mel Gibson and Michael Richards (and to get facts straight, lots of people commit full blown prejudicial acts but are not doing it everyday and will not think of themselves as anything racist in the least bit). A while ago, after all of this happened, I found out that Richards had come under fire before for making “racial” comments towards a staff of his failed TV show (blaming that sole person as the reason his show bombed). It did not blow up like this one did because, I figure, that what he did this time was caught on tape and it was just SO offensive (what he said disrespected al Black folk).

The man should do more than get down on his knees and beg for forgiveness, he needs to go to various Black Universities and other Black hotspots as well as the men who heckled him and make formal appologies and I mean real appologies where he shows he truly gets why what he said was so offensive to ALL BLack people and not just to the two individuals. Either that or he should just straight out say “I don't like Black people, never have, never will.” Those two options sit well with me, especially the last one given his history (I would rather he be full blown racist than a closet one, confused and just messing up the mindsets of people in this world).
subcultured at 5:01PM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
they called him a cracker and white boy. I've been trying to think of a word that might equal the n-word for white people, but there's not. so maybe cracker for him was as bad as the n-word. maybe the guys didn't know he was jewish (i didn't until rodrigues pointed it out while comparing him to mel gibson) maybe if they did they would have called him a dirt j–. but to me both parties was equally guilt, just because he had a mike doesn't make him guiltier.

and to be honest, I think he was trying to incorporate it to his act..as ad lib. to show that calling him a cracker deserves people getting called the n-word. because i remember he said “those words, yea…words..words..” (and then he walks off) i guess he couldn't come up with a punch line or the situation got out of hand.

when there's a minority comedian goes all racial (i.e.) chris rock & carlos mencia no one really puts them on the news…but when a white guy tries to tell a racial joke. the crowd stops laughing and he gets called a racist.

how about we stop telling racial jokes…i'm for that. but noooo it's against free speech. kinda like a spiral that never stops spinning.
J
ozoneocean at 11:43PM, Nov. 27, 2006
(online)
I think it's about having a bit of sensitivity and comon sense. Richards failed at that.
He owes nothing to the hecklers. There's nothing worse than bullies who cry when their prey turns on them. That's pathetic.
But Richards hit out far too broadly. He got far more than the intended target, he has to pay for that: with apologies etc. Obsidian's suggestion about university visits is a good one, if he really cares about examining the meaning of the words he shouted and the impact they have, it's the least he could do.

Rich at 1:04AM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
Obsidian
Calling someone a cracker does not carry the same historical weight that being called an n-word does. Stuff that happened to slaves. No cracker, where ever it came from, is more a way Black people can counter oppressive words directed towards them in an eye for an eye type of way.

I disagree with what you are saying here. While yes, ‘cracker’ has nowhere near the significant historical level of offensiveness as the word ‘nigger’, it doesn't justify using it.

Ya see, the old eye for an eye thing is utterly flawed. It will ALWAYS end up in a back and forth until one side gives in. As much as people all want to deny it, racism towards whites is JUST as prevalent as racism towards blacks. It goes both ways and is equally wrong on both sides.

And the only solution is simple, BOTH sides need to cut the bullshit and try to get along. And justifying racial slurs as being ‘an eye for an eye thing’ is only going to perpetuate this bleeding ass mess our world is in.

Another small thing that has pissed me off though is how often the slavery issue is brought up by blacks playing the race card. It's in the past damnit! That's as bad as if someone writes off all the blacks as ‘filthy niggers’ because of those dumbass street gangs that go around shooting each other. Again, both sides need to grow up and get along.

EDIT: This thread almost belongs in the debate thread.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
ozoneocean at 3:39AM, Nov. 28, 2006
(online)
We've had so many “racism” debate threads though… Plus all those religion and Iraq war threads… (GWB is evil BTW).
Rich
slavery issue is brought up by blacks playing the race card.
…But isn't that what the problem is all about? The guys was referencing lynching afterall. Even the term “nigger” is an American slaver term.

We can't do the “both sides at fault” thing here. The situation is too complex. But there's a good lesson to learn: if someone attacks you, don't retaliate by attacking their entire ethnic group as well as them!
But I suppose the same thing always happens. Muslims worldwide suffer for New York's 9/11.

doraf at 4:51PM, Dec. 12, 2006
(offline)
This is my first time posting on here. I actually came across this forum link today trying to find the video of Pauly Shore getting heckled and punched by some redneck. Is saying “redneck” racist btw? I gotta stay pc and stuff; ya know what I’m sayin? Prolly not cus I don't. I may be white but I aint got me no big belt buckle and cowboy hat or boots. Wait a minute, that's a stereotype and that must make me a bigot. Oh well, we aren't all perfect.

Obsidian, I respect you as you write very well and for your passion for your past. It's good to know about your past and be proud of it. Hell, I'm even proud of my great, great, great, great grandpa who was 1st lieutenant to Cortez and slaughtered mass Aztecs. I also take pride in my ancestors that fought in the American Revolution and Civil war. I've been called cracker, spic, dego, and a bunch of other things. I grew up in Lake Charles, LA. and went to school as one of two white kids out of 700 students. If I got into one fight for the color of my skin that day it was a good day. I spent everyday in PE doing crab walks around the basketball courts because the black coach didn't want any white boy mingling with the black folk. If I said anything about it I was in the office getting an ass woopen. I know racism prolly the same way your grandparents may have known it. The only thing that kept me tough as a kid is that I knew that I could not lose any fight, because nobody could beat me as hard as my dad.

I got some question though. You are aware that white people did not just look over at their buddies and say, “hey man, I'm kind of stoned and bored this afternoon and I think I got an idea on how to make some extra cash. Why don't we float on over to West Africa and round us up some fools with a net.” Africans were out hunting their own people and selling them at ports. Clothes was not included in these sales as they were not captured in any usually and the jewelry they may have been wearing was taken and prolly sold to white men as well.

The Civil War: Hundreds of thousands of black and white American lives taken for the freedom of black American slaves. Ya know the real kicker in all this? The government didn't give a rats ass about black people. All they cared about were their steel sales in the north and that Europe was going to stop trading with America if we did not stop slavery. The freedom of slaves meant bigger $$$ for the country than the poorer southern minority states generate owning them.

Not all white people in this country owned slaves. The south was a very poor area minus some rich plantation owners and usually the only ones who could afford a slaves. I guess people take offense to different things but one of the things that really bother me is when Black people begin to generalize white people because their ancestors were enslaved or ridiculed due to their skin color. It truly makes me feel sick inside when I hear blacks speak as if all white treated their ancestors poorly. I feel as if I am being marked and I know for a fact none of my ancestors owned slaves and that my ancestors fought for the north during the civil war. If I generalized all black people by the way I was treated as a kid living in Louisiana I would be one very angry person. That and how could I be angry with a race that has so many beautiful women.

I'm really not sure where I'm going with all this, but I am off work now. YAY! Anyway love everyone regardless of what color they are. Hate em if their wear their pants down too low and their asses hang out regardless of what color they are cus that is some sick ass shit.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved