Random Discussion

Mind Control by Cellphone
kyupol at 5:57AM, June 8, 2008
(offline)
Unbelievable.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=mind-control-by-cell

The first, led by Rodney Croft, of the Brain Science Institute, Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia, tested whether cell phone transmissions could alter a person's brainwaves. The researchers monitored the brainwaves of 120 healthy men and women while a Nokia 6110 cell phone—one of the most popular cell phones in the world—was strapped to their head. A computer controlled the phone's transmissions in a double-blind experimental design, which meant that neither the test subject nor researchers knew whether the cell phone was transmitting or idle while EEG data were collected. The data showed that when the cell phone was transmitting, the power of a characteristic brain-wave pattern called alpha waves in the person's brain was boosted significantly. The increased alpha wave activity was greatest in brain tissue directly beneath to the cell phone, strengthening the case that the phone was responsible for the observed effect.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
ozoneocean at 8:50AM, June 8, 2008
(online)
The “mind control” in this is just an attention grabbing headline, not really what the article is about.

Yes, theoretically, it might be possible to make some sort of device that has some influence on the mind after meny decades of research using some of these ideas, but the only “mind control” thing in the story was a slight effect on alpha and delta waves if the thing was strapped to your head for ages. It had the effect of making people a bit more alert than normal- half a cup of coffee's worth.

Not really “mind control” as you classically understand it. Unless you think of coffee in the same sort of way. -that stimulates the body and in turn the mind. Same effect in the end.
—————

Still an interesting story nevertheless, but no reptiloids or NWO here :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Custard Trout at 1:35PM, June 8, 2008
(offline)
Do you think when Kyupol reads these articles, what he actually sees is: ‘yes, you are right, the government is really a Saturday morning cartoon villain, REPTOIDS REPTOIDS REPTOIDS REPTOIDS’ repeated for the entire length of the article?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
Fenn at 12:23PM, June 10, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
Do you think when Kyupol reads these articles, what he actually sees is: ‘yes, you are right, the government is really a Saturday morning cartoon villain, REPTOIDS REPTOIDS REPTOIDS REPTOIDS’ repeated for the entire length of the article?
Yes. That is exactly what I think.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
bravo1102 at 5:29AM, June 11, 2008
(online)
In my experience stimulating alpha waves would be a good thing. Anything that stimulates brain activity is a good thing as most people I meet on a daily basis make shambling zombies look like Enlightenment philosophers. :)

But strapping a cell phone to their head? Does the alpha wave stimulation cancel out the chance of brain cancer? ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
kyupol at 5:44PM, June 11, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout

Go google:
- operation northwoods
- operation ajax
- gulf of tonkin
- uss liberty
- bohemian grove

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Custard Trout at 7:23PM, June 12, 2008
(offline)
No.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
bravo1102 at 9:50PM, June 12, 2008
(online)
kyupol
Custard Trout

Go google:
- operation northwoods
- operation ajax
- gulf of tonkin
- uss liberty
- bohemian grove

Oh that's hysterical. Any intelligence memorandum or mistaken attack on a US ship is a conspiracy. I'm surprised you don't consider the Japanese attacks on US (USS Panay) ships in China during the 1930s as a conspiracy to get us to attack Japan.

And do not start with the Pearl Harbor ridiculousness. ;) That was sheer blindness on the part of some not very bright admirals and generals. Of course anyone can see all the pieces after the event.

You are aware of US between the wars War plans included wars against Britain and France? That before WWI the US planned for a Pacific war against Japan and Britain? They make for some very interesting reading and war-gaming.
Custard Trout at 3:50AM, June 13, 2008
(offline)
bravo1102
Oh that's hysterical.

Hysterical - adjective

Irrational from fear, emotion, or an emotional shock.

Hilarious - adjective

Arousing great merriment; extremely funny.

- - -

Learn the difference please.
bravo1102 at 6:44AM, June 13, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
bravo1102
Oh that's hysterical.

Hysterical - adjective

Irrational from fear, emotion, or an emotional shock.

Hilarious - adjective

Arousing great merriment; extremely funny.

- - -

Learn the difference please.

I meant to say hysterical as pertaining to wild fits of laughter as in wildly emotional. (colloquial use is wildly funny This being an internet forum normal conversational usage is acceptable, if not encouraged)

So back off man, I'm a teacher! ;) I keep an unabridged dictionary and Fowler's Modern English Usage right next to me. (the accepted definitive source) ;)

ozoneocean at 7:56AM, June 13, 2008
(online)
I thought the word had something to do with women's reproductive organs and the mistaken belief that they were somehow a contributing factor to madness for women.

So “Hysterical” was a description of the maddened state…

DAJB at 2:34AM, June 15, 2008
(online)
Sadly, there are far easier ways for a government to control people's behaviour than strapping cell phones to their heads.

But, hey - now you mention it … head-mounted phones might just be the next “must-have” fashion accessory! I wonder where we can get them?!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
ozoneocean at 2:45AM, June 15, 2008
(online)
Bluetooth headsets ;)

The name for someone with a bluetooth headset is “bluetool”
Fits marvellously, don't you think? ^^

Custard Trout at 5:14AM, June 16, 2008
(offline)
bravo1102
I meant to say hysterical as pertaining to wild fits of laughter as in wildly emotional. (colloquial use is wildly funny This being an internet forum normal conversational usage is acceptable, if not encouraged)

So back off man, I'm a teacher! ;) I keep an unabridged dictionary and Fowler's Modern English Usage right next to me. (the accepted definitive source) ;)

Then say ‘hysterically funny’.

I'd watch it if I were you. I'm an stubborn nerd with far too much spare time.
bravo1102 at 8:34PM, June 16, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
bravo1102

Then say ‘hysterically funny’.

I'd watch it if I were you. I'm an stubborn nerd with far too much spare time.

I don't need to as I am using proper usage as indicated in my unabridged dictionary and Fowler's Modern English Usage which takes precedence. There are also the various writer's guides from Newspapers which follow Fowler's and vice versa. If the universally accepted authority says it is so all the time and all the nerdiness in the world aren't worth a bucket of warm spit.

As a former US Army hard-striper don't make me pull rank.

Hysteria: "From the Greek hystera, the womb, with which hysteria was fomerly thought to be connected"
anonymousposterchild at 7:48AM, June 17, 2008
(offline)
bravo1102
As a former US Army hard-striper don't make me pull rank.

As a Canadian, don't make me write a polite letter with many superfluous “u”s.
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved