Debate and Discussion

Minnesota Bridge Collapse
Insanity at 8:52PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
What do you guys think about it, and how do you think it collapsed?

Because I think it's depressing, considering what's going on in the Middle East, American Sports, and Politics. It Makes Me Sad Inside.:(:cry::cry2:

AwesomeUnicorn
I feel a little bit like Hitler right now, too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
EmilyTheStrange at 9:03PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
Its horrible!
I don't really know what to think happened, I mean it could have been planned, because if someone was going to blow it up, rush hour would have kill the most people. On the other hand it could have just given out for the same reason, there were more people on it than normal because of the rush hour traffic and it simply gave out.

Either way its a horrible tradigy. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
mapaghimagsik at 9:06PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
I hope we don't jump on to every thing turning into a terrorist act. We don't spend a lot of money to maintain infrastructure – wars cost too much. So, until an investigation reveals otherwise, its best to go with good old fashioned shoddy construction or wear and tear.

Which kills *far* more people a year than terrorism.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
subcultured at 9:38AM, Aug. 2, 2007
(online)
bush will somehow blame it on Iran and we fight another war
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
EmilyTheStrange at 10:02AM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
When I say “terrorists” I don't mean Iran. >>
I mean some weirdo, most likely from the area, who planned to destroy the bridge for some reason. It happens.

I do think it was most likely faulty enginering, they were doing work on the bridge. O:
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
TnTComic at 10:18AM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
If it was terrorists, they would've claimed responsibility by now. They do what they do for attention.

Not to be too glib, but there are almost 20 different “Engineering Disasters” episodes on the History Channel's series “Modern Marvels”. These things happen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
lefarce at 10:26AM, Aug. 2, 2007
(online)
This asshole at my work looked me right in the eyes and said “I bet George Bush blew it up! He's a monster, man! He'll blame it on terrorists but he's the one who killed those people”.

This is the same cuntbucket who asks me every day if I've seen Loose Change yet. I dunno guys, should I hit him? I think I should hit him.

This is pretty terrible though, my boss has tons of family over there and was on the phone constantly. Thankfully everyone she knows is Ok. Damn tragic. I'm trying to keep the TV off though so CNN doesn't desensitise me to it like the do with everything else. I just hope loved ones who are lost find their way back home, and that those who won't have the good fortune of seeing their loved ones return will find some sort of closure in all of this.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:31PM
TnTComic at 10:30AM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
lefarce
This asshole at my work looked me right in the eyes and said “I bet George Bush blew it up! He's a monster, man! He'll blame it on terrorists but he's the one who killed those people”.

Almost as abysmal as the 9-11 conspiracy theorists. Just brush ‘em off, man. Idiots are idiots, doesn’t matter which way they skew politically. Take solace in his inevitably countless lonely nights spent muttering at the TV.
lefarce at 10:33AM, Aug. 2, 2007
(online)
TnTComic
lefarce

Almost as abysmal as the 9-11 conspiracy theorists. Just brush ‘em off, man. Idiots are idiots, doesn’t matter which way they skew politically. Take solace in his inevitably countless lonely nights spent muttering at the TV.

I'm actually pretty good at brushing it off, but he's a special case. Damn persistent. I've just started to make up insane theories to see how much crazy crap I can get him to believe in.

But I'm fairly certain that the collapse was due to construction that was going on, right? Or have they still not made the reason public?

None the less I highly doubt terrorism.

mapaghimagsik at 6:23PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
On a slightly more sane take, here's a link to someone who did a little research and produced a report put out by the American Society of Civil Engineers, that shows we're about 1.6 trillion dollars behind on maintaining this country's infrastructure.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/8/2/125940/9440

So, its not terrorists destroying our bridges – its good old fashioned neglect.
dgriff13 at 7:47PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(online)
First off, Cheyney is the evil one. Bush is just a dumb puppet, who probably can't spell “bridge”.

The bridge collapse I would think was due to construction and poor construction (like the article says) to begin with. It's quite tragic, I can't imagine coming home from work one day and having that happen.

This freaks me out tho- I live by Philly PA, and cross into NJ everyday for work, over one of the 4 BIG area bridges…everyday…. eesh.

Annnnnnd just now I hear a news preview on TV saying “after the bridge collapse.. how safe are OUR bridges?”. They friggin read my mind.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Phantom Penguin at 9:23AM, Aug. 3, 2007
(offline)
It was one of thousands interstate bridges in the US, it just so happened to be old and pretty worn out:

Is there really a debate?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
mlai at 6:56PM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
There seems to be at least one camera pointed at anywhere in the USA at all times? How did they get that shot? It's not a traffic camera. It's not a traffic news helicopter camera.

Edit to leFarce: Oh, ok.

Edit 2: That thing fell into the water REALLY FAST. I'm used to seeing slow-mo cam whenever a building or some big structure collapses. Too much movies.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
lefarce at 7:00PM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
mlai
There seems to be at least one camera pointed at anywhere in the USA at all times? How did they get that shot? It's not a traffic camera. It's not a traffic news helicopter camera.

It's been confirmed several times that it's a security camera.

Allan at 8:04PM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
I heard that the federal government had been telling them since 1990 to fix the bridge, and they've only been patching it.

Still, it's sad. I've got family in the Minni–luckily they're all alright.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
MagickLorelai at 10:51PM, Aug. 3, 2007
(offline)
v_v It collapsed less than half a mile from where my brother lives.

I don't think that it was a terrorist attack, I honestly feel it was just ready to collapse. It's a shame if it really was just a matter of fixing an existing problem, because people got killed for no reason. The thing is, not everything we build is going to last forever, things wear down/break down, especially when a lot of weight is put on it. v.v Sometimes, the reality of that is harsh.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
mlai at 11:53PM, Aug. 3, 2007
(online)
The amount of money the gov't is gonna pay out in lawsuits would make what the bridge repair costs would have been look like chump change.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
TnTComic at 2:01PM, Aug. 4, 2007
(offline)
MagickLorelai
I don't think that it was a terrorist attack

Absolutely not, for a few reasons. No one has claimed responsibility. There were no explosions. The target was very low profile.
Phantom Penguin at 5:05PM, Aug. 5, 2007
(offline)
lefarce

This is the same cuntbucket who asks me every day if I've seen Loose Change yet. I dunno guys, should I hit him? I think I should hit him.

This is pretty terrible though, my boss has tons of family over there and was on the phone constantly. Thankfully everyone she knows is Ok. Damn tragic. I'm trying to keep the TV off though so CNN doesn't desensitise me to it like the do with everything else. I just hope loved ones who are lost find their way back home, and that those who won't have the good fortune of seeing their loved ones return will find some sort of closure in all of this.

You should run that guy over with a car.
oh and cuntbucket? awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
JillyFoo at 8:21PM, Aug. 6, 2007
(online)
Hey guys, Minnesotan here. I wasn't there ,but was worried about friends that worked at the U of M for a while that night until the phones opened up. (They were okay. One of them was even at the ballgame that night.)

For the most part I'm just shocked it would happen here of all places. You'd never really think of something happening so close to home.

dgriff13
Bush is just a dumb puppet, who probably can't spell “bridge”.
The President and the 1st Lady actually went there last Friday to see the damage and talk to the victims' families, rescue workers, and survivors. I don't like Republicans just as much as any Democrat should, but yeah whatever it's easy to blame the government's avatar.

Allan
I heard that the federal government had been telling them since 1990 to fix the bridge, and they've only been patching it.
Apparently inspectors have been saying it was ok enough(last inspection two years ago?) Those poor inspectors haha… I heard today on the news that they are getting death threats now.

mlai
The amount of money the gov't is gonna pay out in lawsuits would make what the bridge repair costs would have been look like chump change.

Oh yeah… and now they are coming up with a new gas tax to help the repairs and MN roads/bridges. 20 cents a gallon! :P I guess it will be a blessing to prevent anymore accidents from happening.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
TnTComic at 4:27AM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
JillyFoo
The President and the 1st Lady actually went there last Friday to see the damage and talk to the victims' families, rescue workers, and survivors. I don't like Republicans just as much as any Democrat should, but yeah whatever it's easy to blame the government's avatar.

Looks like he learned from Kittrina.
Terminal at 7:17AM, Aug. 7, 2007
(online)
lefarce

All you have to say to people that believe stuff like this is to tell them to go look under their local bridge and see in what condition it is. Most of the bridges in America are broken down.

The comments on YouTube about the cam footage remind me of why I hate the internet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
Bekefel at 8:10AM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
Someone
The comments on YouTube about the cam footage remind me of why I hate the internet.

You just can't help advertising idiocy can you Termy?
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:17AM
Mak at 6:04PM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
Have done bridge inspection. Not from the engineering side, just from the “This is cracked, and it's this long” NDT side of the house. Bridges crack, they do it all the time. The engineer I was working with, who had like 20+ years on the job told me that in his experience, cracks never get smaller. My guess (it's a guess people) is that it was probably cracked, and somebody either did some math wrong, or used incorrect figures in calculating the stress the bridge was under. If you have ever been stopped on a bridge, you have felt the bounce. That kind of dynamic load is rough on anything. Plus, remember that bridges are built based on theoretical traffic patterns, and they are always way off. Anyway, it sucks for the families of the victims and I wish them the best.
I'm a ex-DAT, which means all ya'll are crunchies, and I swing a mean hammer.

Rule 37 should be made rule 1

The civilized would should be ashamed, what good is power if you do not stop things like Darfur??
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
mapaghimagsik at 10:41PM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
TnTComic
JillyFoo

What makes you say that? In Louisiana, Secret Service set up a water dispensary, Bush manned it for a few minutes, got some face time/hugs and then went away.

If you want to judge whether a real difference is made, look to see what happens with rebuilding the bridge, and the efforts to make sure this doesn't happen again.

He's looking for his ‘bullhorn’ moment to try and prop up his abysmal approval ratings.

Like flys in the hands of small boys, such are we to the Bush Administration.
dgriff13 at 8:37AM, Aug. 8, 2007
(online)
JillyFoo
dgriff13
Bush is just a dumb puppet, who probably can't spell “bridge”.

Actually, I meant just that… I'm not blaming Bush or Cheney for the bridge collapse, just wanted to point out that Cheney WOULD be the brains behind such evildoings, not Bush. I highly doubt they were involved as someone suggested earlier. The collapse was just due to poor maintenance, just like the poor maintenance on the bridges I go over every day in the Philly area (apparently the worst in the nation, so I hear). However it should be up to the govornment to at least help prevent this in the future. It would be gutsy of me to blame the govt. for Katrina's after effects (and I have heard conspiracies surrounding that *shakes head*)… not so sure Bush showing up after the bridge collapse means they learned from Katrina either tho… we'll see what progresses from here. I'd like to see if the Philly bridges (and any other old bridges that are considered under-maintained) are addressed now….

I'm glad to hear none of your family or friends were involved, JillyFoo. Hope the bridge is rebuilt WELL & in a timely fashion.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
TnTComic at 8:49AM, Aug. 8, 2007
(offline)
mapaghimagsik
TnTComic

What makes you say that? In Louisiana, Secret Service set up a water dispensary, Bush manned it for a few minutes, got some face time/hugs and then went away.

If you want to judge whether a real difference is made, look to see what happens with rebuilding the bridge, and the efforts to make sure this doesn't happen again.

He's looking for his ‘bullhorn’ moment to try and prop up his abysmal approval ratings.

Like flys in the hands of small boys, such are we to the Bush Administration.

You should watch the HBO special about Kittrina.
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 8:05AM, Aug. 10, 2007
(offline)
Oh, come on now, 13 deaths, nothing we haven't seen before. Of course, I show sympathy for those who know the dead ones, but there's no reason to get obsessive over it just because the news thought it would make a good headliner.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:04AM
mapaghimagsik at 8:46AM, Aug. 10, 2007
(offline)
Atom Apple
Oh, come on now, 13 deaths, nothing we haven't seen before. Of course, I show sympathy for those who know the dead ones, but there's no reason to get obsessive over it just because the news thought it would make a good headliner.

I agree. Why can't we get more Paris Hilton coverage?
ozoneocean at 3:21AM, Aug. 11, 2007
(online)
mapaghimagsik
I agree. Why can't we get more Paris Hilton coverage?
Even in Jest that Makes the baby Jesus sad… You're just upping your quota of Christ tears! I suspect you have some kind of relic racket going on. hmm…

Perhaps the big thing about this is that it was an exciting, shocking event? Especially since there's video coverage of the thing! It's always more “real” to people when that happens… Take for example the New York World Trade Centre towers; Many more thousands of people have died in the Iraq and Afghan wars (especially civilians), in the boxing day Tsunami, in recent earthquakes in Pakistan, Turkey, and Iran, and yet those lives don't mean nearly as much. Why is that? Well, it happened further away, they're a different nationality, in the case of wars it takes longer than a day, and lastly; without any single defining event with lots of fun footage to look at it just doesn't seem to matter as much. lol!
-there was a lot of the Tsunami, but no single defining incident.

The value of people's lives and the tragedy of disaster is relative. It has to be, since we can't be asked to care about everything that happens in the world, but we also have to realise that fact so we can put stuff we DO care about overly into proper perspective: i.e. the World Trade Centre disaster wasn't that bad as disasters go, and this bridge thing is pretty tiny. -that's after putting them into perspective ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved