Media Megaforum

Movies based on books suck! (Nothing new, really...)
marine at 6:46PM, Dec. 11, 2007
(offline)
I like Kubrick book to film adaptations.

I've really been critical of the comic book movies. They change so much, its like they didn't even read the books and just based things off the cartoons.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
kingofsnake at 7:16PM, Dec. 11, 2007
(online)
Fight Club: better than the book, like so so much better even.

Trainspotting: both book and movie were excellent

La Confidential: One of the greatest movies of all time, haven't read the book

The Beach: Amazing book, crap movie

High Fidelity: The movie was pretty good but the book, man it was like someone looked inside my head and wrote my internal monologue down.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Sysli at 8:37AM, Dec. 12, 2007
(online)
lastcall
It just seems like everything is “based on” something nowadays.

And

isukun
Many of the “original” ideas coming out of Hollywood these days are worse than the derivitive ones.

Ah, now there's an interesting thing. Based on versus “original”. I'll try to do this a bit shorter than last time (and thanks for the patience Steely Gaze, it's nice to know somebody read it and agrees on some of the points)

Basing things on something can mean a safetynet and a limitation, “original” demands another kind of attention because it lacks those.
“Original” can be done really well, like Pan's Labyrinth (as far as I know that wasn't based on a book), but Hollywood do seem to produce some not-so-good “original” movies at the moment. But the amount of filmitised books is getting a bit much too.

Maybe if they started looking at some lesser known works? Something that we don't already know the story to the moment we hear the title. That could be interesting, but I don't think it's likely to happen. Things with a big fanbase = many people who'll see the movie…

And I'll stop now, before you come after me with pitchforks and tourches because I just can't shut up.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Steely Gaze at 9:03AM, Dec. 12, 2007
(offline)
Sysli
lastcall
It just seems like everything is “based on” something nowadays.

And

isukun
Many of the “original” ideas coming out of Hollywood these days are worse than the derivitive ones.

Ah, now there's an interesting thing. Based on versus “original”. I'll try to do this a bit shorter than last time (and thanks for the patience Steely Gaze, it's nice to know somebody read it and agrees on some of the points)

Basing things on something can mean a safetynet and a limitation, “original” demands another kind of attention because it lacks those.
“Original” can be done really well, like Pan's Labyrinth (as far as I know that wasn't based on a book), but Hollywood do seem to produce some not-so-good “original” movies at the moment. But the amount of filmitised books is getting a bit much too.

Maybe if they started looking at some lesser known works? Something that we don't already know the story to the moment we hear the title. That could be interesting, but I don't think it's likely to happen. Things with a big fanbase = many people who'll see the movie…

And I'll stop now, before you come after me with pitchforks and tourches because I just can't shut up.

Quite true again. Large fanbase already built up = more money upfront. Look at all the video game-based movies to prove that.

Personally, I think it's all a matter of how you look at things. If I had never heard of the book and watched the movie, it would seem original to me. The simple end of it is that a good movie will always be a good movie, no matter what, if anything, it's based on.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
Insane Video Gamer at 9:00AM, Dec. 13, 2007
(offline)
“Eragon” was so horrible, I cried. CRIED!!! How could they do this to me… FOX is going to pay…!!!!
My comic link is:
Random Insane Sprite Comic
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
lastcall at 9:50AM, Dec. 13, 2007
(offline)
Insane Video Gamer
“Eragon” was so horrible, I cried. CRIED!!! How could they do this to me… FOX is going to pay…!!!!

I used to work at the Fox movie lot. I still remember, to this day, when they had a huge bright-orange banner (complete with black stripes) welcoming Jim Davis and his wife to the movie lot, because he was coming to negotiate with the Fox big-wigs concerning a movie deal. A while later, Fox created the pile of stinky doo-doo that is Garfield.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
kingofsnake at 10:15AM, Dec. 13, 2007
(online)
Well, at least they stayed true to the source material on that one.

ZING!

fun fact: Bill Murray did the voice of garfield in the movie. The guy who did the voice of garfield in the garfield and friends animated series is the same voice actor who did the voice of Bill Murray's character Peter Venkman in The Real Ghostbusters animated series
lastcall at 11:31AM, Dec. 13, 2007
(offline)
kingofsnake
fun fact: Bill Murray did the voice of garfield in the movie. The guy who did the voice of garfield in the garfield and friends animated series is the same voice actor who did the voice of Bill Murray's character Peter Venkman in The Real Ghostbusters animated series

Yeah, ironic; isn't it? You think they did that on purpose?
mechanical_lullaby at 5:40AM, Dec. 14, 2007
(online)
Yeah, but Garfield hasn't been that funny for ages. Mostly I eat alot and have no respect for Jon material.

And Eragon.. well the problem with that is the book itself. What Paolini lacked in creativity, he made up for in his amazing writing ability. Let's just say he made up for everything with that. The movie isn't creative because the book isn't creative.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Ziffy88 at 8:58PM, Dec. 14, 2007
(offline)
Does Davis still make Garfield?

The Bourne movies were good, but I've never read the book. Need to

One movie that managed to mess up a great source. Hitch hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, great book, movie was dull at many moments. It's sad too because the acting wasn't horrible neither were the CGI, but the movie itself managed to be too slow. It could have been good. It needed a better editor. Really it comes down to the production team. If they completely bend the text over and rape it five time with a giant squid(any movie that was based on Alan Moore's (League of Extraordinary Gentleman) work I believe Zack Snyder will mess up watchmen)
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:01PM
Steely Gaze at 3:54AM, Dec. 15, 2007
(offline)
Ziffy88
Does Davis still make Garfield?

The Bourne movies were good, but I've never read the book. Need to

One movie that managed to mess up a great source. Hitch hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, great book, movie was dull at many moments. It's sad too because the acting wasn't horrible neither were the CGI, but the movie itself managed to be too slow. It could have been good. It needed a better editor. Really it comes down to the production team. If they completely bend the text over and rape it five time with a giant squid(any movie that was based on Alan Moore's (League of Extraordinary Gentleman) work I believe Zack Snyder will mess up watchmen)

Yeah, Davis still makes Garfield, with the occasional funny strip thrown in to boot. I know ‘cause I still read it, even after it kinda started sucking. I can’t help it; it's a piece of my childhood.

Now, not to sound biased or anything, but the Bourne movies were crap. I read the books. The books were amazing. When I watched The Bourne Identity I thought that, though it wouldn't be like the book, it would still be fun. I don't think so. After that and the mini-series The Hades Factor, I have vowed never to watch another movie adaptation of a Robert Ludlum novel. They keep killing what's good about them and turning them into mindless wastes of time.

I didn't see the new Hitchhiker movie, so I can't really judge though it looked pretty awful, but have you ever seen the BBC mini-series? It was filmed back in the ‘80s I believe and stuck very, very close to the source material of the first two books. I have it on DVD and it’s really worth it if your a fan of the books, as I am.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
lastcall at 4:58AM, Dec. 15, 2007
(offline)
mechanical_lullaby
And Eragon.. well the problem with that is the book itself. What Paolini lacked in creativity, he made up for in his amazing writing ability. Let's just say he made up for everything with that. The movie isn't creative because the book isn't creative.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I know, it's a rip-off of lots of fantasy novels like LOTR and such, but come on…the kid was 15 years old when he wrote that. I'm still trying to get through Eldest (the second book in the series), but it seems ok.
kingofsnake at 7:43AM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
I thought the HHGTTG movie was decent. They worked with what they had.

I mean Douglas Adams had been trying to write a movie script for the book that worked for like 20 years. It's just that the source material isn't condusive to a film. Read it again, it's all exposition, and people reading a book. In a book thats fine, because you're reading what they're reading, so as long as what they're reading is interesting you're good to go. But it doesn't exactly work in a movie. You can't have 40% of the movie be characters reading out loud about towels, it throws of the pacing.
Ziffy88 at 2:50PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(offline)
yeah but the movie dragged at many parts, which is unfortunate because there were some really good jokes. The Whale part was the best.

I liked the Bourne movies I had fun. The story made sense. Nice action scenes and the acting wasn't bad. They were good.
mechanical_lullaby at 8:54AM, Dec. 17, 2007
(online)
lastcall
mechanical_lullaby

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I know, it's a rip-off of lots of fantasy novels like LOTR and such, but come on…the kid was 15 years old when he wrote that. I'm still trying to get through Eldest (the second book in the series), but it seems ok.

That's because he's an insanely good writer. I enjoyed the book too, don't get me wrong. It's just that it's not very creative and it's got to be hard for him to break that streak because of the cliches of Eragon. I couldn't get through Eldest though– I don't know why exactly.

magickmaker at 5:34PM, Dec. 18, 2007
(offline)
mechanical_lullaby
That's because he's an insanely good writer. I enjoyed the book too, don't get me wrong. It's just that it's not very creative and it's got to be hard for him to break that streak because of the cliches of Eragon. I couldn't get through Eldest though– I don't know why exactly.

Really? I didn't think he was that great of a writer. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book and his style was pretty good, but I don't think he's an insanely good writer. He's good, but not that good.

I generally like books better, even though some movie adaptations (To Kill a Mockingbird, for example) are pretty good. My main gripe is them cutting out scenes or characters that I liked from book or rushing them so they feel thrown in there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
mechanical_lullaby at 5:42PM, Dec. 18, 2007
(online)
magickmaker
I didn't think he was that great of a writer.

That's because his creativity level is about 1/0. It doesn't exist. And it counter acts his writing ability making his work mediocre. As if a 15 year old wrote it? Hmmmmmm… Not to mention his parents were high up there in the publication area of Knopf… HMMMMMMMM.

Exzachly at 7:29PM, Dec. 18, 2007
(online)
I'm always disappointed when I see a movie based on a book I've read. Books are basically a superior medium at creating a deeper world and a more intimate understanding of the characters.

That said, I do like a whole lot of movies based on books I've never read, like, say, Children of Men. They should keep making those. :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
Ziffy88 at 8:16PM, Dec. 18, 2007
(offline)
like death wish and die hard
jaswilson at 10:14AM, Dec. 19, 2007
(offline)
I generally expect the film of the book to be dissappointing and it's usually the case. As someone previously said, books are a superior medium to movies. They're probably right on this when it comes to depth just becuse a book is so much longer and can cover so much more ground, e.g -'The Godfather' was a great film from a book, but for me the book was still better just because it had more time and could cover so much more ground than the movie ever could.

New page up every Sunday night.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
lastcall at 3:36AM, Dec. 20, 2007
(offline)
mechanical_lullaby
That's because his creativity level is about 1/0. It doesn't exist. And it counter acts his writing ability making his work mediocre. As if a 15 year old wrote it? Hmmmmmm… Not to mention his parents were high up there in the publication area of Knopf… HMMMMMMMM.

His parents worked for Knopf? That's dumb. I work for a publishing company and I have to deal with snotty parents being bitches to me all the time, saying “publish my kid's book, or I'll kick you in the ass”. I bet they were like that too. Grrrrr.
Ziffy88 at 11:35AM, Dec. 20, 2007
(offline)
RANDOM MAN AWAY

books and films translation

ANOTHER DAY SAVED

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved