Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Moving on?
acadia at 9:51AM, Feb. 5, 2008
(offline)
How many of you plan to eventually move off of DD and onto an independent site? How many of you already have, and are just mirroring off of DD?

I plan to move off DD and use it as a mirror eventually, but I'd like to know what some of the rest of you do.

Also, any tips for success once you're out of this ‘nurturing’ environment?

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
deletedbyrequest03 at 4:55PM, Feb. 5, 2008
(offline)
I never actually thought that far ahead. I mainly update on DrunkDuck to improve my artwork and get critiques as well as encouragement. I never thought of going off into my own independent website… but I have thought about publishing my own comic books.

Although, I don't think I'll ever move out of DD. Why would I? It's a great place for artists/writers to get together and share ideas. If I wanted to, I could keep my account at DD and make an independent website.

So… I'm not sure what I will do.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
lba at 7:36PM, Feb. 5, 2008
(online)
I'll probably move off of DD eventually. My biggest reason for starting here was I didn't have to pay which is a big concern for me, being at the stage I am in life. The forums and everything else have proved helpful and fun as well though, so I'll probably set up another site and mirror on DD then slowly start moving over to just my own page. That is if my comics ever become that popular. Until then, I'm quite happy with DD.

Even if I do move off of DD I'll probably still retain my account and post smaller side projects here. The site is just too convenient and helpful to ever just completely drop it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Skullbie at 11:25PM, Feb. 5, 2008
(online)
What are the benefits of having your own site anyhow?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
acadia at 11:31PM, Feb. 5, 2008
(offline)
A feeling of legitimacy?

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
JustNoPoint at 5:38AM, Feb. 6, 2008
(online)
I have my own site but link to DD =p

I don't think I can leave DD now. The only reason I like having my own site name is it's easier to tell people to go to justnopoint.com instead of drunkduck.com/The_Devon_blahblah

DD has given too much for me to want to leave at this point. Might as well keep linking to them to increase their profits from ads as a thank you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Frostflowers at 8:31AM, Feb. 6, 2008
(online)
I don't have my own site, and don't plan to get one either - at least, not for my current webcomic. It's more of an experimental, let's-learn-comic-creation-on-our-own! kind of thing - a semi-serious hobby, if you like.

The benefits of having your own site, though…? I suppose you can customise it any way you want - but then, that's pretty much possible with DD as well. But yeah, having your own site makes it feel more “serious” than a community like this one. Which is silly, really, because you can be just as serious here, and there's a greater chance of people actually reading your comic.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
mundy at 3:45AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
I joined drunkduck because I needed to get at least one comic out of my head and onto paper, I'm using this as an experiment to see whether my story/art is any good and whether I can make the commitment to have a strict deadline and not miss it. I would love to have a comic published but whether that will become a reality is another thing completely. At least with drunkduck I don't have to worry about rejection.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
albone at 8:18AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
I currently host on DD and have my own site. I find that the people that read my webcomic on DD aren't necessarily going to find my comic that's off DD, and I think I'm better off posting at both places to reach a wider audience. Right now, I hardly get any comments on my site though the visits are about 1/3 higher than on DD, but I get about a dozen responses on here on DD, and think that's important to get feedback to improve.

I would think an obvious benefit to having our own site is that you can customize it to your hearts content.
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Lokidoll at 10:46PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Considering I haven't posted my comic yet I have no reason to get my own site…..^^;
But I suppose one day, depending on circumstances, I'd probably make my own site but continue to post on DD. Unless of course for some reason it goes to hell or something….D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
cetriya at 8:00PM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
JustNoPoint
I have my own site but link to DD =p

I don't think I can leave DD now. The only reason I like having my own site name is it's easier to tell people to go to justnopoint.com instead of drunkduck.com/The_Devon_blahblah

DD has given too much for me to want to leave at this point. Might as well keep linking to them to increase their profits from ads as a thank you.

me too ^^
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved