Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

My comics, its messing up (help!)
Ateljux at 2:04PM, Aug. 6, 2009
(offline)
Hey guys i started a comic up about a week ago,and at first it seemed to be going ok, well for the first page.I usually draw with ink but due to my recent lack of materials i had to go over it in pen,but that's not the problem more of an inconvienience.
The real problem is that my webcomic seems to be going off in a different direction,than what i intended for it.

At first i had a clear image of the story and layout.But when i drew up the first page it was quite different instead of my desired 5 panels it grew to like 10 and there tiny.And it seems every page i have to compromise to try and get the story back on track only to find out its gone even further away from what it was support to be.

I don't see anyway to get it working the way it was originally planned now that it'd diverted so far away from the original intoroduction.I mean i haven't even introduced the characters yet….i need help :(
Click the link,get taken to my webcomic: Abram goes to HELL.

and now Just wing it, a post apocalyptic comic, dark humour:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
Skullbie at 2:20PM, Aug. 6, 2009
(online)
The majority of comic book artists thumbnail their comics before doing them. As in on a piece of scratch paper they'll make tiny little layouts of the page and what happens on it, and might go through a ton for one page alone.

If you think this new direction is good then keep it, if it's slow paced and really bad compared to what you had before then maybe start thumbnailing pages in advance, seeing what you should add and what to cut out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Ateljux at 4:49PM, Aug. 6, 2009
(offline)
the weird thing is i do that lol but when i do, i cant get the story i want across but everyone else manages to have about 5 large panels yet mine come out tiny and over crowded
Click the link,get taken to my webcomic: Abram goes to HELL.

and now Just wing it, a post apocalyptic comic, dark humour:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
Phillby at 5:14PM, Aug. 6, 2009
(offline)
Draw bigger panels?

Take those ten panels you've already drawn and try to compress them. Ask yourself if every one hase a purpose. Rip out what doesn't work and build on what does.

You should never be afraid to scrap a page when you're halfway through drawing it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Hunchdebunch at 8:44AM, Aug. 14, 2009
(online)
Maybe if you end up with ten panels you could redraw the page, but divide it into two pages with 5 panels?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Hyena H_ll at 9:44AM, Aug. 14, 2009
(online)
Because it's the web, you're not limited to traditional comic page dimensions. If you can't edit your pages to contain less information, then try drawing larger panels on several sheets of paper. When you scan them, piece them together in photoshop or GIMP or whatever image editing program you have access to. You can even draw each panel separately, and then piece ‘em together instead of worrying about fitting everything onto a single sheet of paper. You’ll come out with more vertically oriented pages, but you can avoid the over-crowding issue. I'd recommend you stick with longer rather than wider pages, as most people hate scrolling to the side!

I think Charby is a good example of this- if memory serves, some pages are longer/larger than others, depending on how much action or information needs to be conveyed in an update. Like I said, it's the web- anything goes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved