Comic Talk and General Discussion *

My first food recipe sharing thread of the year.
Lonnehart at 7:52PM, Jan. 15, 2010
(online)
Again, this is for the benefit of us DDers who don't have a lot of money and don't have a lot of cooking skill. If you're a minor, better have your parents help you out so they can't totally blame you if the house ends up on fire. Anyways…

My version of “Chinese Fried Rice”.

10 cups of rice, freshly cooked
1 bunch of scallions (maybe 5 or so)
1/4 a package of frozen mixed vegetables
2 eggs
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 pound of meat (your choice)
cooking oil

Heat up your saucepan and add 2 tbs of oil to it. Thaw the frozen vegetables in the microwave. Beat the eggs, then cook them omlette style. Chop the meat and scallions into tiny pieces. Cook the chopped meat in the saucepan after you take out the eggs, then chop the eggs as well. Once the meat is done take it out, then fry the mixed vegetables along with the scallions.

Add the rice on top of that and add the soy sauce into it, then continuing to fold in the whole thing while adding the rest of the ingredients. Should be done in about 5 to 10 minutes.

You can use regular soy sauce if you want it to taste a bit saltier, but you'll have to use less unless you like your fried rice to have a briny taste to it. I'm not the best cook and no one recipe suits everyone's tastes, so feel free to “tweak” this. I learned this particular recipe from my brother-in-law. :)

By the way, anyone else have a simple recipe they'd like to share (that's not straight off the internet)? :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
HippieVan at 8:26PM, Jan. 15, 2010
(online)
Awesome chocolate chip cookies:

1. Make regular chocolate chip cookie dough
2. Add nearly twice the amount of chocolate chips
3. Voila!

But really, I should learn how to cook some stuff. I can bake pretty well(as you can see from my excellent recipe) but I can't really make anything useful, except maybe veggie quiche.

My recipe for that is:

1. Make normal veggie quiche
2. Add way more cheese than necessary
3. Voila!

You may notice a pattern in my recipes. :/
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Mr Chappers at 1:43AM, Jan. 16, 2010
(online)
Tomato pasta sauce.

12 tomatos on the vine
6 gloves garlic
9 small/4 big shallots (if not 2 onions)
Tyme
Tomato paste/purée
Basil
Extra virgin Olive oil
Salt and pepper (S+P)

Pre heat the oven to 190C/374F
Slice the tomatoes into halfs, and crush the garlic.
Place both onto a baking tray with a light covering of olive oil and S+P.
Roast in the oven for about 10 mins or till the tomatoes look a little crispy.
In mean time finnly dice the Shallots/Onions sweat off in a saucepan in some olive oil with a Tyme.
Once the tomatoe and garlic is done add it to the pan of shallots, with some tomatoe purée and gently cook on a low heat stiring acasionally. Id recomend leaving it to simmer for anywhere between 20mins/40mins.
Add some finlly chopped basil, correct the seasoning (S+P) and then blitz into the sauce.
Lovly with spaggetie or Penne. I'd recomend serveing with a nice helping of freshly grated parmasan cheese.

And while im here.

Chocolate Bavarious (bav-wa-es)

210g milk
75g egg yolk
75g sugar

480g chocolate (the higher the amount of Cocoa Solids the better. Id recomened 75%)

580g Heavy/double/whipping cream ( I dont know what its called in america)

Beat the egg and mix in with the milk and the sugar in a pan, Heat this gently to luke warm.
At the same time, melt the chocolate over a bowl of warm water (if you cant hold the bottom of the chocolate bowl the waters to hot).
And while all thats happening, Whip the cream to just under whipped.

When the chocolate is melted mix in with the egg mix, once it is all incoratated, gently fold into the cream, id recomend doing this in 1/3's.
Leave to set in glass's or any serving dish in the fridge for about 2 hrs.
can be finished with grated chocolate whipped cream, really anything you like.

Read the Author, its good i promise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
solace at 10:49AM, Jan. 16, 2010
(online)
Ramen:

1 packet of ramen
1 cup of water

Heat up the water and pour it on the ramen (you should probably put the ramen in a bowl) let sit for 5 minutes.
Eat.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
Lonnehart at 8:51PM, Jan. 16, 2010
(online)
solace
Ramen:

1 packet of ramen
1 cup of water

Heat up the water and pour it on the ramen (you should probably put the ramen in a bowl) let sit for 5 minutes.
Eat.

Ugh… I'm trying to stay away from this monosodium glutamate thing as it's bad for my health. If I'm able to perfect a ramen recipe that doesn't use that soup base packet, I'll post it.
HippieVan at 9:22PM, Jan. 16, 2010
(online)
Lonnehart
solace
Ramen:

1 packet of ramen
1 cup of water

Eat.

Ugh… I'm trying to stay away from this monosodium glutamate thing as it's bad for my health. If I'm able to perfect a ramen recipe that doesn't use that soup base packet, I'll post it.

I have a sensitivity to the stuff. Do you want my list of ingredients to avoid?
Lonnehart at 9:31PM, Jan. 16, 2010
(online)
Hippie Van
I have a sensitivity to the stuff. Do you want my list of ingredients to avoid?

Sure. But why avoid all those things? I personally avoid monosodium glutamate as it could make my high blood pressure worse than it is now (unmedicated it goes over 200+/110)…
rokulily at 10:23AM, Jan. 28, 2010
(online)
Chocolate heartattacks!

You'll need:
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 sleeve of unsalted crackers (saltines is best)
1 cup of brown sugar
12 oz of semisweet choc. chips (this may not seem like alot when you make it but try not to overdo it)

Intructions time:

Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with pam or another veggie oil thing. Layer sheet with crackers– try to fill every area, this is the base so don't be cheap with the crackers. Melt butter in a sauce pan (pot) the add sugar to carmelize. STIR. Pour concoction over crackers slowly, be sure to cover all areas even if you have to even it out with a spoon. Bake at 350 for 7-10 mins. Oh, preheat the oven by the way before you put it in. While still hot, sprinkle c.chips. They'll begin to melt so spread to cover all. Add chopped nuts if you want- I never do. Chill for at least 2 hr.s the best way is out in a garage where animals can't get it and it's really cold this time of year too. cut or break into pieces. Breaking is a whole world easier.

And there, bang, chocolate heartattacks! Never eat all in one sitting!
Good luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
same at 3:18PM, Feb. 2, 2010
(online)
Chocolate toasties.

Simply get a bar of chocolate (Your choice what kind), 2 slices of bread, and a toasted sandwich maker. Make your girlfriend do the rest of the work.

Thats how i do it anyway.

Banana, tea and your girlfriend optional.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
Niccea at 4:10PM, Feb. 2, 2010
(offline)
My Fiance's Enchiladas

1 can Old El Paso enchilada sauce (mild or medium)

1 can Cream of mushroom soup (Campbell's)

1 can Cream of chicken soup(Campbell's)

Chicken breast

Shredded Cheese (Mild Cheddar and Monterrey jack works best).

Corn tortillas

One onion (white) diced

Preheat oven to 325F. Heat up the tortillas in the microwave until they are soft. Roll into the tortillas: chicken, onions (they can be sauteed a little), and cheese. Don't stuff too much. In a greased glass casserole dish, place them seam side down.

Mix together the soups and sauce and pour over enchiladas. Top with more cheese. Cover with foil and place into oven for thirty minutes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
Kroatz at 5:02PM, Feb. 3, 2010
(online)
My favorite recipe is the following:

Milk and cookies

1- Get a glass.
2- Pour milk in it.
3- Get a cookie from Hippie Van.
4- Drink milk and eat cookie.

It's really simple and it's a healthy replacement for every kind of dinner.

Cookie can also be replaced by lettuce…
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:23PM
Lonnehart at 8:37PM, Feb. 3, 2010
(online)
When I get the chance I'll experiment and think up a good dessert recipe. :)
Aurora Moon at 8:35AM, Feb. 4, 2010
(offline)
Nutella and peanut butter sandwich. Enough said. :)
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
HippieVan at 10:19AM, Feb. 4, 2010
(online)
Aurora Moon

Agreed! Nutella with pretzels is also good. Actually, pretty much anything with nutella is good.

Does anyone have a good peanut butter cookie recipe? I seem to have lost mine. :(
Lonnehart at 1:52PM, Feb. 4, 2010
(online)
Hippie Van
Aurora Moon

Agreed! Nutella with pretzels is also good. Actually, pretty much anything with nutella is good.

Does anyone have a good peanut butter cookie recipe? I seem to have lost mine. :(

I wouldn't mind getting a recipe for those too. My nieces love peanut butter cookies. :)
Lonnehart at 10:41PM, Feb. 5, 2010
(online)
basic Garlic Fried Rice

2 or 3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of oil
5 cups cooked rice
salt to taste

Heat a saucepan up to medium heat on the stove and add the oil. Smash the garlic up then add it into the pan. Careful not to burn it. Next, add your rice and salt to taste and fold it in, letting it rest every so often for 30 seconds. After about 5-10 minutes of doing this you've got garlic fried rice. :)

Well, it's hit or miss for me. Never learned the proper recipe from my mother and grandmother…
Theskunktrainer at 10:03PM, Feb. 6, 2010
(online)
Banana and Sweet Rice (it's really good!)

I make recipes up so everything is very approximate. Taste tasting=somewhat necessary.

ingredients:
-2 or 3 bananas
-a cup of white rice (I use jasmine for this)
-butter (maybe 2ish tablespoons)
-cream cheese (normal) (like a third or fourth of a packet)
-halfish cup of sugar (taste test)
-packet of hot chocolate
-green tea bag
-sprinkly cheese (optional)

1. cook rice- add tea bag to water so it will boil w/the rice
2. microwave butter and cream cheese so that they are not bubbling or anything, but warm and moldable
3. stir butter, cream cheese, sugar and half of hot chocolate packet into rice.
4. slice up bananas (10-15 pieces per banana)
5. if you have cheese, sprinkle a little on top of banana slices
6. add glop of rice on top of each banana.

voila!

taste testing is really a good idea. It should taste sweet but not too sweet. It's pretty easy and kind of hard to mess up :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Lonnehart at 10:35PM, Feb. 6, 2010
(online)
Theskunktrainer

I'd love to try this out, but I'll replace the white rice with glutinous rice instead. :)
Theskunktrainer at 12:08PM, Feb. 7, 2010
(online)
Lonnehart
Theskunktrainer

I'd love to try this out, but I'll replace the white rice with glutinous rice instead. :)

do it :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
lba at 12:15PM, Feb. 7, 2010
(online)
Buck eyes-

1 jar peanut butter
as much of your chocolate of choice as you like

Roll refrigerated peanut butter into 1-1.5“ balls (2.5-3.5mm). Place chocolate into a pan inside a larger pan filled with water on stove and melt. Using a spoon, dip peanut butter balls into melted chocolate. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet or onto a cookie rack. Allow to cool. May be chilled in the freezer once cooled.

Chili

3 large jalapenos
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 sliced carrot
2 large bay leaves
1 12 oz. can beer ( Must be a lager of drinkable quality. None of that ”light" crap. Budweiser is only marginally acceptable. )
2-3 cups beans
1 green pepper
1 lb stew meat or cut up top sirloin or chuck roast
1/2 large Vidal onion
1 can tomato paste
1 Tsp basil
1 large can sliced tomatoes
1 large crock pot, 5 qt or larger.

Pour beans and beer into crock pot and allow to soak for at least 6 hours. After soaking is complete, add meat, tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos, carrot, onion, tomato paste. Cook on high setting 2-3 hours, then set to low and add bay leaves, chili powder and basil. Allow to simmer for 5-6 hours or until meat is browned and chili is a deep red. Scoop out bay leaves and throw away. Chili can be refrigerated and kept for up to 3 weeks.

Crust-less pastie

1 roll tin foil
2 lb ground beef
1 thinly sliced carrot
1 large white onion chopped
2 small or 1 large potato sliced
garlic salt and ground pepper to taste.

Form 1 lb ground beef into a patty and place on top of a large sheet of foil, slice carrot, onion and potato on top of beef patty. Add garlic, pepper and salt. Wrap securely in foil, then wrap again in alternate direction of previous wrapping. Place in oven heated to 500 degrees or directly into a camp fire if possible ( the smoke adds flavoring. ). Cook approximately 15 min, or until beef is cooked completely through. Allow foil to cool and serve on a paper plate.

I eat these things on a regular basis. They're ancient recipes from the area I grew up in, so they're cheap as hell and fast to make.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Lonnehart at 1:48PM, Feb. 7, 2010
(online)
lba
Chili

3 large jalapenos
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 sliced carrot
2 large bay leaves
1 12 oz. can beer ( Must be a lager of drinkable quality. None of that “light” crap. Budweiser is only marginally acceptable. )
2-3 cups beans
1 green pepper
1 lb stew meat or cut up top sirloin or chuck roast
1/2 large Vidal onion
1 can tomato paste
1 Tsp basil
1 large can sliced tomatoes
1 large crock pot, 5 qt or larger.

Pour beans and beer into crock pot and allow to soak for at least 6 hours. After soaking is complete, add meat, tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos, carrot, onion, tomato paste. Cook on high setting 2-3 hours, then set to low and add bay leaves, chili powder and basil. Allow to simmer for 5-6 hours or until meat is browned and chili is a deep red. Scoop out bay leaves and throw away. Chili can be refrigerated and kept for up to 3 weeks.

Now this recipe looks nice. Just a few questions… when the soaking is done, does the beer remain in the pot when you add the other ingredients? And will the alcohol cook out if you do everythig right? And can I leave out the jalapenos? :)
lba at 4:34PM, Feb. 7, 2010
(online)
Yes, Yes, and possibly. I've never made chili without jalapenos so I have no clue if it'll still come out tasting decent. I suppose you could substitute a less spicy pepper if you're worried about that though. The alcohol will boil off no matter what, but you can substitute non-alcoholic if it's really a major issue like if you've got muslim guests coming or something.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Lonnehart at 1:49AM, Feb. 8, 2010
(online)
lba
Yes, Yes, and possibly. I've never made chili without jalapenos so I have no clue if it'll still come out tasting decent. I suppose you could substitute a less spicy pepper if you're worried about that though. The alcohol will boil off no matter what, but you can substitute non-alcoholic if it's really a major issue like if you've got muslim guests coming or something.

Great. But I was thinking of substituting the beer for cooking wine or something. I also want to try other peppers in place of the jalepenos… there are some tiny red peppers here that are really hot for their size. :)

Ugh… could never get one of the dishes my mother used to make quite right, so I looked online for it. It can be found at this link…

Arroz Caldo or “Rice Soup/Porridge” Filipino style.

For those of you who'd rather not go there, I'll just cut and paste the thing…

–paste–
Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds chicken cut into serving pieces
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 each garlic cloves
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger fresh, finely sliced
1 cup rice (uncooked)
35 cups water
2 tablespoons fish sauce
5 each scallions, spring or green onions finely sliced for garnish
1 x salt and black pepper to taste

Directions
In a large non-stick soup pot over medium heat, sauté garlic in oil until lightly brown.

Add ginger and onion, stir for a minute.

Add chicken pieces and fish saue and cook for another 3 minutes.

Add rice, water and a little salt and pepper.

Cover and simmer in medium low heat for about 40 minutes or until the consistency of a light ceamed soup has been reached.

Stir occasionally while cooking.

Correct seasonings to taste.

Stir in a small amount of sliced green onions.

If rice soup becomes too thick, add a little water to thin it a bit.

Garnish individual bowl servings with sliced green onions just before servings.

Tips: If you prefer, sprinkle a little lemon juice on the soup servings.

This will give a pleasant tartness to the dish.

–paste–

This is the same recipe I use, but I tend to use just enough water to cover the stuff and let it simmer that way. And the rice… it's gotta be uncooked. It doesn't say that in the recipe in the link, but it's gotta be uncooked. :)

hopefully this is the last time I do a cut and paste for a recipe I'm supposed to know… -_-

I'm sure you people living in the continental U.S. where it's cold will appreciate this dish. :)
Mr Mustard Seed at 1:00PM, Feb. 9, 2010
(offline)
Here is my recipe for Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas … but first a little plug for something I'm doing –

http://kck.st/cXnzvt

As many of you know, I am organizing a benefit cookbook called “Batter! Broil!! Baste!!! The Comic Book Creators Cookbook.” One quarter of the profits from the book will go to the Hero Initiative, and one quarter will go to The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, but very worthy causes … Google ‘em if you don’t know what they do.

Well, I'm now introducing Johnny B. Gerardy to you in a teensie Flash segment. I'll throw these in every now and again to show you that Johnny is a real guy and he makes real artwork (not just for my project) …

Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas

This recipe for chicken sour cream enchiladas is a recipe I fix whenever I want something satisfying that doesn’t take too long. Also freezes well so you can defrost leftovers whenever you like.

Ingredients:

• 1 package of pita bread

• 1 can mild diced chilies

• 2 tins of cream of chicken soup

• 6 cups cooked minced or shredded chicken

• 1 big old brick of sharp Cheddar cheese

• 2 tubs of sour cream

• salt to taste

Preparation:

You don’t need to do anything to the pita bread except separate each pita into two halves. Mix the cream of chicken soup, diced chilies, sour cream, and half of the shredded cheese in one bowl and mix really well. Separate this mixture into two halves and add the chicken to one half. Again, mix the chicken in thoroughly. Put a dollop of this chicken mixture on each piece of pita and roll up tightly. Use butter or margarine to grease a square baking dish. Place rolls, seam-side down, in the greased baking dish, and when it is full pour remaining sauce (with no chicken) over pita rolls, distribute the remaining cheese on top of the sauce and bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Serve immediately with whatever condiments you like (such as black olives, onion, chopped lettuce, cilantro, more sour cream, etc.).

That brings in www.kickstarter.com.

Kickstarter is a site that allows you to post your project, to come up with rewards to give to backers who support the project through their ties with Amazon.com (for security, etc.). And now my project is up there and is being backed by people around the world …

Please look at the kickstarter site, check out the rewards, and pledge if you'd like. If the project doesn't fund, you're not charged anything and your donation record is destroyed, so there is no pain here.

Look forward to hearing from you, and for you to back Johnny B.

He'll make great artwork for you, and you'll be part of an earth shatteringly good cookbook project!!

Mr. Mustard Seed.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
rokulily at 7:24PM, Feb. 10, 2010
(online)
Hippie Van
Sure, i gotta recipe.

Peanutbutter cookies

1/2cup granulated sugar
1/2cup pack brown sugar
1/2cup peanutbutter
1/4cup shortening
1/4cup butter(softened)
1 egg
1 1/4cup all-purpose flour
3/4teaspoon baking soda
1/2teaspoon baking powder

mix sugars, peanutbutter, shortening, butter, an' egg. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate ~3 hours.

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Shape dough into 1 1/4inch balls. place 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork. Bake 9 to 10 minutes, then cool for at least 2minutes.

crisscrossing the cookie is a must- it'll actually taste different if you don't.
HippieVan at 7:55PM, Feb. 10, 2010
(online)
rokulily
Hippie Van
Sure, i gotta recipe.

Peanutbutter cookies

1/2cup granulated sugar
1/2cup pack brown sugar
1/2cup peanutbutter
1/4cup shortening
1/4cup butter(softened)
1 egg
1 1/4cup all-purpose flour
3/4teaspoon baking soda
1/2teaspoon baking powder

mix sugars, peanutbutter, shortening, butter, an' egg. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate ~3 hours.

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Shape dough into 1 1/4inch balls. place 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork. Bake 9 to 10 minutes, then cool for at least 2minutes.

crisscrossing the cookie is a must- it'll actually taste different if you don't.

:) Thank you! I'll give it a go this weekend.
rokulily at 7:32PM, March 11, 2010
(online)
ugh this stuff is so easy to make and so very good…

Peppermint Pudding

vanilla pudding mix
2 cups of milk
3-5 peppermint hard candies

follow the directions as written on the box. once the vanilla pudding is complete you can either pour it into seperate bowls to share or 1 big bowl to hoard. place peppermint candies in the vanilla pudding- within a short admount of time they will dissolve and you stir the peppermint into the rest of the pudding. then enjoy!

and for the super lazy… Just buy those vanilla pudding cups, stick a peppermint candy in, wait 5 minutes and stir it in.
Lonnehart at 9:44PM, March 11, 2010
(online)
Things I plan on replacing that msg filled instant ramen packet…

Home made broth using chicken or beef soup bones
chopped onions, garlic, celery, maybe even mushrooms
seasonings (salt, pepper, maybe a few hot spices…)
maybe bullion (never used the stuff before)

I don't like MSG, and also those packets tend to have a ton of salt too. Never a good thing for my high blood pressure…

I could make “Shaggy” ramen, but only Shaggy would eat it… Besides, Chocolate, Maple Syrup, any kind of candy or sweets, or even most fruits don't belong in Ramen… unless the noodles themselves are made of something sweet. But the sugar overload would kill you, I think… rats….

*makes plans on visiting the local Chili's diner and enjoy another of their Chocolate Volcanoes….*
HippieVan at 5:30PM, March 19, 2010
(online)
Been drinking a lot of smoothies lately, this is what I usually make:

Raspberry/orange smoothie

1 cup orange juice
1/2 banana(I usually just eat the other half)
A personal-sized container of raspberry yogurt(or the equivalent from a big thing, I guess)
1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries

The great thing about this recipe is you can replace most of the ingredients with other stuff if you need to, and it still tastes good…I sometimes use assorted berries and different kinds of yogurt.
Scribe_Drizz at 6:09PM, March 19, 2010
(online)
One of my faves!

Ingredients:
Can of beets
Can opener

Directions:
1. Open can of beets with can opener.
2. Eat beets at liberty.

Errata:
If can of beets is replaced with jar of beets, then use of can opener is optional.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon