Media Megaforum

Name 1 movie made in the last five years that wasn't absolute Crap !!!
Crazy Dutchman at 3:06AM, April 13, 2009
(offline)
Well I do agree with your opinion on Crash. It was visually quite pretty, but it didn't have anything to say, though many people will probably claim otherwise.
You liked Thumbsucker? I don't know anyone that actually enjoyed that one (niether did I..). Hooray for personal taste :D

My list of favorite movies from the past 5 years would be this:

Brick
Broken Flowers
Byôsoku 5 Senchimêtoru
Calvaire
Children of Men
Conseguenze dell'Amore
Control
Crank
Dark Knight (any of you ever heard of this one? It's pretty good)
Dawn of the Dead
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Fountain
Garden State
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Illusionist
Innocence
Kôkaku Kidôtai 2: Inosensu
Kumo no Mukô, Yakusoku no Basho
Laberinto del Fauno
Mean Creek
Paranoid Park
Persepolis
Science des Rêves
Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus
Sin City
Star Wars: Episode III (Yeah, I know..)
Tekon Kinkurîto
Vital
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 4:07AM, April 13, 2009
(online)
Crazy Dutchman
Well I do agree with your opinion on Crash. It was visually quite pretty, but it didn't have anything to say, though many people will probably claim otherwise.
You liked Thumbsucker? I don't know anyone that actually enjoyed that one (niether did I..). Hooray for personal taste :D

yes, hooray for personal taste. I don't think Thumbsucker is the best movie ever.. But I really liked the whole adderall part of it. And the pathetic-ness. That's my soft spot : )

Children of Men– now there's a great movie. I don't think it got all the props it deserved.

I saw Vital, too- I wasn't crazy about it. But Tadanobu Asano was there when I saw it. : D he gave an interview (with the aid of a belabored translator)! I really liked him in Ichi the Killer & Last Life in the Universe, though…!!!

and it's crazy that you've seen “Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus”– my boyfriend netflixed it (he likes Jim White) and made me watch it, but it seemed like a reeeeally underground documentary. But it was good. a rarity of a film, in that I had never seen anything like it– and doubtlessly won't again. But it was loooong.

(PS: this wasn't in the past 5 years, but has anyone seen the documentary series “The Century of the Self”? It is one of the most thought-provoking, educational and exciting docs I've ever seen. It really makes you want to stop shopping, stop just about everything consumerism-related, and live on a secluded farm.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Aurora Borealis at 1:59PM, April 13, 2009
(online)
One movie….

SUKIYAKI WESTERN: DJANGO

There you go :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 6:58PM, April 13, 2009
(offline)
Hellboy
Underworld
Underworld: Evolution

Uhh…

Batman Begins and the Dark Knight
Iron Man

And that's all I can think of.
I don't watch many movies. But those ones I listed I loved.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 12:09AM, April 14, 2009
(online)
wow, ryu, you certainly have your cinematic niche figured out ; )

I forgot one!!
The Host!!!!

(how did I forget you, my lovely…)

and let me reiterate: Let the Right One in is a super-awesome vampire movie that is really character-driven and beautiful. The little boy is a preternaturally good actor. And he gets bullied… (for some reason, an element of many of my favorite books & movies)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 10:52AM, April 14, 2009
(offline)
I thought I Am Legend wasn't crap. I actually enjoyed it.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Hawk at 11:40AM, April 14, 2009
(online)
I also enjoyed I Am Legend, and that's coming from a person who doesn't like Will Smith much. I keep hearing the book is better, but so long as I don't read the book, the movie will remain fun.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Koshou at 6:16PM, April 14, 2009
(offline)
Cloverfield.

…oh wait, I was the only person who liked that movie. :C
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Walrus at 6:52PM, April 17, 2009
(online)
Knowing
The Dark Knight
I am Legend

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
HippieVan at 8:12AM, April 18, 2009
(online)
Has anyone seen any good comedies lately? It seems like they all rely entirely on crudeness and shock humour, which I simply don't find funny.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
skoolmunkee at 8:47AM, April 19, 2009
(online)
I'm not sure you will find any straight-up comedies any more, not like the 80's stuff. Most comedies seem to be mixed with something else now. Little Miss Sunshine was fairly funny, but it really wasn't all comedy.

I know Anchorman and Ricky Bobby are crude, but I found them to be pretty funny. :]

Times like this I would start renting old movies though, old Steve Martin and National Lampoon and things. :]
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Crazy Dutchman at 1:50PM, April 20, 2009
(offline)
Darjeeling Limited. Comedy brilliance! And even has elements of drama and adventure. Bound to make you feel good.
I also loved Be Kind Rewind, but I seem to be alone on that.

Personally I don't think it's all about crudeness and shock humor, I mean the 80's/90's had lots of crude humor as well. I didn't really see most of the big comedy films so I can't really judge, but I fairly enjoyed Superbad. Yes it had lots of cursing, but it wasn't shocking at all if you ask me. And some highschool kids just talk that way. What made the movie so special was that it had some level of weirdness to it, like most of the crew were a little drunk when they shot the movie. I really like that, it gives the movie a nearly surrealistic touch. I would actually like more movies to be like that.

Kristen Gudsnuk
and it's crazy that you've seen “Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus”– my boyfriend netflixed it (he likes Jim White) and made me watch it, but it seemed like a reeeeally underground documentary. But it was good. a rarity of a film, in that I had never seen anything like it– and doubtlessly won't again. But it was loooong.
Jim White is a god :) I loved every second of the movie and am dying to watch it again, however it's been some time since I last saw it. Hope I'll still like it.

Koshou
Cloverfield.

…oh wait, I was the only person who liked that movie. :C
No you're not. I thought it was a great ride :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Dark Pascual at 4:46PM, April 20, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
Has anyone seen any good comedies lately? It seems like they all rely entirely on crudeness and shock humour, which I simply don't find funny.

Again, Burn After Reading…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
zaymac at 4:57PM, April 20, 2009
(online)
I haven't seen this mentioned. It's a documentary that is simply awesome.

King of Kong.

I highly recommend.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
HippieVan at 7:08PM, April 20, 2009
(online)
Crazy Dutchman
Darjeeling Limited. Comedy brilliance! And even has elements of drama and adventure. Bound to make you feel good.

Those other elements are exactly the problem! I just want a movie that will make me laugh, I don't really give a crap about having amazing characters and a detailed plot and whatnot when it's a comedy.

zaymac
I haven't seen this mentioned. It's a documentary that is simply awesome.

King of Kong.

I highly recommend.

That was actually great. My dad brought it home and I wasn't expecting much. I felt so lame watching it, and even lamer liking it, but I loved it. It was actually really captivating.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved