last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
CORY at 9:04AM, Jan. 6, 2006
(offline)
I agree with ~H %100.

See Kong. Now. Do it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
isukun at 9:25AM, Jan. 6, 2006
(online)
Kong was ok apart from the typical Peter Jackson poor camera direction. Steal the shots that are good from the original and then try to make up the rest with slow pointless pans and and lots of fluff. PJ probably could have shaved a half hour off the movie by dropping all the slow pans. Also, if you do go see Kong, bring a pillow for the first hour. It's VERY SLOW and it doesn't pick up until they get to Skull Island. Apart from the camera direction, the slow beginning, and the use fo black face, it wasn't a bad movie. Definately more emotional towards the end than the original, although the use of the line from the original seemed kind of out of place and cheesy.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
CORY at 4:29PM, Jan. 6, 2006
(offline)
I find ignorance in posts like that.

No offence intended, but the fact that everyone thinks King Kong is just supposed to be a hard-hitting action-flick, that has no story or plot, other than a monkey crushing buildings, I'm sorry, but I can't listen to it.

I never once found the movie slow, and at the end wanted it to continue. The beginning was a must in my opinion to set up the story, and the pans gave the movie a great feel (to be honest I have no idea of what pans you are talking about, but all the shots worked very well to give the scenes good feeling and placement).

I am confident Kong will win Picture of the Year.
SpANG at 5:01PM, Jan. 6, 2006
(online)
I would have liked to she how they got him on the boat. :P

KK was good, great effects. But I just got to the point at the island where I was thinking to myself, “Jesus, another predicament.” It was effects for effects sake in some places. A lot of it wasn't needed. But enjoyable.

I think King Kong has become the “effects marker” of each generation. That's why you need to play it up a little more.

The scaling was much more consistent and realistic, too.

I was all set to see Narnia, until I found out it had a religous undertone. Now I'll just wait for the dvd.

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
InsaneOtaku at 5:09PM, Jan. 6, 2006
(offline)
King Kong was good but even the beginning is pretty necesary for the plot it could of been alot more interesting. I mean, how many movies does it take more then half an hour to get going? Well, i don't know how many but King Kong is one of them.

I found Narnia to be way better. It's a must see for fantasy fans, and fans of the fantastic books. Forget Harry Potter, Narnia rules all!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
Black_Kitty at 12:44AM, Jan. 7, 2006
(online)
SpANG!
I was all set to see Narnia, until I found out it had a religous undertone. Now I'll just wait for the dvd.

The Chronicles of Narnia was originally written to have allusions to Christian ideas so it's not a surprise that the movie would have religious undertones. But if it makes you feel better, they're not in your face and I doubt anyone would have realized it if they didn't know it had religious themes to begin with. :) The two most obvious allusions are Aslan and the four children being sons of Adam and daughters of Eve.

I never watched King Kong but I liked Narnia. I think the only thing that bothered me about it is the lack of blood. I'm not being bloodthristy but when you stab someone, they bleed. But in Narnia, nobody seems to bleed and it was just so weird to see that. I wasn't sure if this was a decision on Disney's part or if it was part of the original books. It just really bothered me for some reason.

.: Black Kitty :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Hawk at 12:59AM, Jan. 7, 2006
(online)
I also liked Narnia. It DID lack blood, and I'm sure that was to bag it a more kid-friendly rating. After all, that was its audience. It maybe could have benefitted from blood, though… just for the sake of seeming a little more realistic.

Narnia seems like a child's movie that even an adult can enjoy, while King Kong may be an adult movie that a child can enjoy. (don't know… havn't yet seen Kong). I'd wager most people can go see either one and enjoy them.

Spang, don't let the religious stuff scare you away too badly. Hardcore Christians will see a metaphor of Christ's sacrifice. Non-christians will see a fantasy world with great heroes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
hpkomic at 1:52AM, Jan. 7, 2006
(online)
About Narnia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Narnia#Christian_parallels

As long as you're just looking for the fantasy, the religious elements aren't entirely noticable.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
ccs1989 at 1:50PM, Jan. 8, 2006
(online)
I dunno…something about a lion that kills people being Jesus? I don't buy it.

Anyway I'm not going to see either, but I'd see Kong first.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Chameloncholic at 1:53AM, Jan. 9, 2006
(online)
Loved Narnia, even with the christian stuff. Its a great book and the film was fantastic. Although to me the music was all wrong… if its not the BBC Narnia TV series theme it's just wrong.
Chameloncholic at 4:55AM, Jan. 9, 2006
(online)
It was made in 1988, they were very limited in what they could do. Aslan was however fantastic, and from what I remember a very cool robot.

Besides I was talking about the music.

Which you can sample here
isukun at 10:39AM, Jan. 9, 2006
(online)
No offence intended, but the fact that everyone thinks King Kong is just supposed to be a hard-hitting action-flick, that has no story or plot, other than a monkey crushing buildings, I'm sorry, but I can't listen to it.

Claiming someone is ignorant makes it hard to believe that you don't intend some level of offense. At any rate, I didn't expect it to be straight action beginning to end, but Peter Jackson does have a tendency to draw things out for far too long. Most of the beginning hour wasn't necessary. For the most part it doesn't even establish the personalities of the characters in question. Plus, when the focus of the movie is supposed to be the relationship between Kong and Ann, it kinda drags things out a bit when one of the major character doesn't appear until over an hour into the film. I could understand the delay a bit better if the material at the beginning of the film had more to do with events later in the film, but a lot of it didn't. It was just pointless filler offering tidbits about the characters that wasn't necessary and simply slowed down the story.

the pans gave the movie a great feel (to be honest I have no idea of what pans you are talking about, but all the shots worked very well to give the scenes good feeling and placement)

Just about all of the slow pans. Almost none of them served any purpose other than to make an already slow part of the movie even slower. And they are EVERYWHERE in the film. He used them for just about every mood and there was at least one in every location in the film. That is excessive and in my opinion poor direction (and apparently several film critics have noted this as well).

I am confident Kong will win Picture of the Year.

Special effects maybe. It certainly has that one in the bag, but best picture? If it wins best picture I will have lost all faith in the academy. King Kong just doesn't deserve it.

ozoneocean at 3:52PM, Jan. 9, 2006
(online)
hpkomic
About Narnia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Narnia#Christian_parallels
heh! I love the quote from Rowling! Hahaha! Gawd… Hmm. Compared to Lewis she's a lesser species of earthworm.
Her quote is one of the titbits that was new to me in that article.
Ah, Narnia is about as Christian as the many stories of King Arthur when you get down to it. About exactly that Christian in fact.
It's good solid writing in the style of classical Western literature since there has been such a thing.
It annoys me that people would focus on something like that overly, especially some promoters using that as an angle to sell it as a film!
They almost make it sound like some sort of subversive Christian propaganda…

You're right Cham, the theme music from the series was classic.
Almost as good as Ulysses 31!!!!!!!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
Hawk at 5:56PM, Jan. 9, 2006
(online)
ozoneocean
It annoys me that people would focus on something like that overly, especially some promoters using that as an angle to sell it as a film!
They almost make it sound like some sort of subversive Christian propaganda…

I've already seen a local Baptist church piggybacking on the movie, though. They talk about the movie and then bring up Christ and then try to get people to come to their church. It even had footage from the movie… I wonder how legal that was.

But it does kind of surprise me that all this Christian stuff is being talked about as if it was so offensive. We don't recoil at hearing about Buddhist lore.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
AlmightyNam at 8:43PM, Jan. 9, 2006
(online)
I never saw narnia, but it seems that anything that is christian about it, it is entirely unnoticable.

Kong on the other hand, I have seen, and It was an enjoyable enough movie for me to not regret seeing it, but I'm not eager to see it again. That movie was soo long, and there were things that are pointless to the actual story that the writers decided to develop, making the movie 20-30 minutes longer than it needed to be, namely the kid who was picked up at sea, and has absolutely no storyline significance. And another thing I didn't like was the huge amount of Deus Ex Machina the movie had.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
CORY at 10:59PM, Jan. 9, 2006
(offline)
Black Kitty
… the four children being sons of Adam and daughters of Eve.

I liked how they did that. Instead of just referring them to as “Humans.”

To be honest that was the least religious thing I found about the movie. In fact, I didn't even think about it 'till now.
Black_Kitty at 12:07AM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
CORY
I liked how they did that. Instead of just referring them to as “Humans.”

To be honest that was the least religious thing I found about the movie. In fact, I didn't even think about it 'till now.

I liked it too, I found it quite…romantic almost? Definitely fantasy-ish.

I don't think it's even a particularly religious reference at all. Well, it's religious in that he's alluding to Christian figures but it doesn't have the feel of an allusion that's religiously motivated.

.: Black Kitty :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Chameloncholic at 12:44AM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
Oh I mostly picked up on Aslan dieing for Edmunds sins and then being born again, but that's just me.

I recall Tolkien was rather blunt on the subject. Both Tolkien and Lewis liked to place religion in thier works but whereas Tolkien would spread attributes of the religious character across several of the main characters Lewis went the other way. Tolkien thought that he lacked subtlety, I agree.
ozoneocean at 5:44AM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
In terms of putting religion in their work, they're both extremely subtle if you locate them in the context of the time. Western literature has always made a big point of religious (Christian) enlightenment. Tolkien and Lewis were on the tale end of that movement.
People like Charles Williams and G.K.Chesterton were much more forward. Lewis comes more from the school of fantasy writers like George MacDonald and Lord Dunsany, where Christianity is just a part of their writing because it’s a part of them as people.
Of course you could point to other “contemporaries” such as Robert E Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, and H.P.Lovecraft as examples of men who weren’t so uptight on Christian religion in their fantasy writing, but they weren’t intending to produce literature. Their aim’s tended to be more towards fun, entertainment, and money.

E.R.Eddison is the only early 20thC Fantasy writer who I can think of who set out to produce literature and yet didn’t give it any discernable Christian overtones (or undertones). But then I’m not an expert…

Personally I find the Christianity in Narnia limited and obvious; therefore easy to ignore. In the end there’s probably more ‘pagan’ stuff in Lewis and Tolkien than all the Harry Potter books combined.

hpkomic at 6:02AM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
You can never go wrong with H.P. Lovecraft.

NEVER.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
isukun at 6:16AM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
I haven't seen the first movie, yet, but I would like to see them continue the Narnia series. When I read the books back in grade school, I didn't think the later books were quite as obvious with the Christian themes as the first one. Does anyone remember the old cartoon movie for the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe?

ozoneocean at 6:44AM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
H.P. Lovecraft was indeed a great writer.

I remember the old cartoon Iskun. It wasn't bad. I remember that it looked pretty flat… but that was the style at the time. It’s been a very long time since I saw it though.
They re-broadcasted the radio plays of the first four books on BBC7 over Boxing Day. I listened to most of that on the net. It was pretty well done.

Thevampire_kain01 at 7:27AM, Jan. 10, 2006
(offline)
I think that both are pritty good, good in special effects, and detail and realism, but if i had to choose, my choice would have to be narina. i have the whole narina collection (books) and thier pretty good
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
CORY at 11:15PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(offline)
“Neither King Kong director Peter Jackson nor Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe director Andrew Adamson were nominated by the Directors Guild of America for its annual award.”

Whoops! I was wrong!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved