lastcall at 4:41PM, Jan. 16, 2008
(offline)
I actually enjoyed the first Narnia, so I'm looking forward to this:

Anyone else?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
ozoneocean at 6:14PM, Jan. 16, 2008
(online)
I dunno. Might be good :)

I haven't seen the first one, but I loved the books when I was a tyke and the British TV series was wonderful… Except they didn't do the first one in the series (chronologically), the last battle, or The Horse and his boy.- The Horse and His Boy and Voyage of the Dawntreader are my faves by FAR!

I might get the first one on DVD and try and see this one at an out door cinema if it comes out during the summer here…
Nope, just check: 5th of June here… Far too late for summer :P

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
magickmaker at 4:47AM, Jan. 17, 2008
(offline)
I really liked the first one because they followed the book so well, it was just like they were taking it and putting it on screen. If they do Prince Caspian in the same vein, it'll be awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
BlueFlame_Studios at 1:33PM, Jan. 18, 2008
(offline)
I've never read any of the books but I loved the first movie.

All I have to say for the trailer is: wow.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:28AM
dueeast at 4:37PM, Jan. 19, 2008
(online)
Looks like a keeper! We'll probably go see it. B)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Fluffy Snot Monster at 7:02PM, Jan. 20, 2008
(offline)
I liked the first movie, but Prince Caspian was my least favourite (or somewhere near that position) of the Narnia books. I'm going to wait until Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
Evil Emperor Nick at 9:52AM, Jan. 22, 2008
(offline)
While I agree Caspian wasn't my favorite Narnia book I really can't wait to see the new movie.

I love the first movie's sense of loyalty to the book and honestly I enjoyed the battle at the end even more then LotR. There was just something about seeing dozens of different creatures all fighting at once that was much more enjoyable then a sea of CG replicted orcs. I wouldn't mind at all seeing a similar battle in a more adult movie.

I have total faith in Walden Media to make sure Caspian is up the standards I expect and I wish more companies took there care in selecting & adapting movies to the big screen.

Also I really want them to continue not only making the Narnia series (I would LOVE to see The Magician's Nephew brought to the big screen this way!) but quality fantasy movies in general.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
lastcall at 10:07AM, Jan. 22, 2008
(offline)
Evil Emperor Nick
honestly I enjoyed the battle at the end even more then LotR. There was just something about seeing dozens of different creatures all fighting at once that was much more enjoyable then a sea of CG replicted orcs.

Huzzah! To battle!

I thought Tilda Swinton did an awesome job as The White Witch. And wearing Aslan's mane as a cloak during battle? Talk about stickin' it to the enemy….

Evil Emperor Nick
Also I really want them to continue not only making the Narnia series (I would LOVE to see The Magician's Nephew brought to the big screen this way!) but quality fantasy movies in general.

I heartily agree. When LOtR came out I was hoping there would be a surge of more quality fantasy movies, like there was in the 80's with Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Willow, Princess Bride, etc. …. but I haven't really seen the big push for fantasy films that I was expecting. Sad, really….
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Evil Emperor Nick at 1:12PM, Jan. 22, 2008
(offline)
lastcall
I thought Tilda Swinton did an awesome job as The White Witch. And wearing Aslan's mane as a cloak during battle? Talk about stickin' it to the enemy….

I agree, which is all the more reason I want them to the Magician's. I think Swinton could do an equally chilling job there.

Lastcall
…. but I haven't really seen the big push for fantasy films that I was expecting. Sad, really….

Well there has been the Stardust, Eregon, In the Name of the King, & the Golden Compass but none of them would I put on the same level as Narnia. I do think Stardust was well done but it wasn't the next Willow.

On the upside however LotR's success did get A Song of Ice & Fire greenlighted on HBO which I am looking forward to. Plus they are making a sequel to Dark Crystal.

I think the fact remains though that fantasy movies seem to be gambel in the industry. No one in hollywood seem to really know what makes a good fantasy movie. With the recent boom of comic book/manga based movies which target a similar demographic as far as Hollywood is concerned and have proven to be far more profitable & bankable I think that fantasy may have gotten lost in the shuffle. Additionall often there needs to be a very subtle give and take between a book and the big screen. For example the White Witch's wand was reworked so she has to touch creatures with it to turn them to stone to give her a more physical threat and presense. I think it was a good change for the movie, and sometimes such minor adjustments do need to be made, however Hollywood has notoriously bad judgement when it comes to making these adjustments. Frequently they feel the need to try and re-write a book.

Hmmm I just noticed. It is rather an odd coincidence that Golden Compass is sometimes called the “Anti-Narnia” and then the White Queen is pulled about by Polar Bears in the last battle. If Narnia had not come out first I would swear they did that on purpose. Heh.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
jalford at 1:12AM, May 12, 2008
(online)
Christian-themed fantasy? Isn't that what Scientology is?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
lastcall at 3:36AM, May 15, 2008
(offline)
Meh, I just enjoy these movies for the special effects, costume design, and such. I think the first one was well-put together, and I am looking forward to this one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
mlai at 5:51AM, May 15, 2008
(online)
I know the author's Christian but personally I've never seen the Christianity in Narnia. Resurrection is a big part of all mythology not just Christian.
As long as you don't see a friggin' Bible Belt church-house at the end of the movie like I Legend, I don't consider it preachy.. ;P

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Hawk at 10:06PM, May 15, 2008
(online)
You know, it's funny, but when the first Narnia movie was coming out there were a couple people on this forum who refused to watch it because there were Christian themes in it. But I'll bet they had no problems watching The Matrix or Lord of the Rings. :) I think the themes are fine. It's like how they made a cartoon out of Hercules… the mythology added structure and interest to the story.

I didn't read the Narnia books. I'll bet they were good, though. Because of this the first movie felt rushed and a bit hollow to me. They had these rules, and they felt completely arbitrary to me because the movie had no time to establish or explain them. But I still enjoyed it for the good fantasy romp that it was.

My company is paying for all its employees to see Prince Caspian tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping it's good enough even for somebody who missed the books. Sometimes I feel like the minority in that regard.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
lastcall at 3:13AM, May 16, 2008
(offline)
Hawk
My company is paying for all its employees to see Prince Caspian tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping it's good enough even for somebody who missed the books. Sometimes I feel like the minority in that regard.

Wow, where do you work? The company I work for doesn't even pay for pens or post-it notes.
Hawk at 9:00AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
lastcall
Wow, where do you work? The company I work for doesn't even pay for pens or post-it notes.

It's Disney, so they try to get us into their bigger shows.

EDIT: Okay, I just got back from it and I think I like this movie more than the first one. They didn't have to spend time establishing what Narnia is and they went right into the plot. This gave them more time to flesh out a decent plot. Also, the special effects were noticeably better. I'm not as stoked about the ending, but all in all I liked this one better.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
lastcall at 6:40PM, May 16, 2008
(offline)
Hawk
lastcall

It's Disney, so they try to get us into their bigger shows.

…..You lucky bastard. I tried getting a job there for….oh, fifteen years. It was my childhood dream and everything. I guess “Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency” only gets ya so far. (See? I even know their ‘secret’ company motto.) The farthest I got was three rejection letters saying how much I “didn't fit their company profile,” blah blah blah. :cry2:
shaneronzio at 12:13PM, May 31, 2008
(online)
if these studios expect the public to sit through a 3 hour movie, they have to bring back the INTERMISSION

Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:33PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved