Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Need a printer, convention coming up
SteveMyers22 at 12:16PM, Aug. 13, 2007
(online)
So I'm trying to get a short preview comic printed up for the Baltimore Comic Con on September 8th. I have all my pages, and they're all print ready. But I haven't been able to get a quote or response from any of the 5 printers I emailed on Friday last. And I'm afraid of waiting around for one to get back to me as I might not be able to get these done in time.

So, anyone have any printers they could recommend for a 12 page, full color, standard comic sized preview book to get done and shipped and arrive by September 1st?

ComicXPress seems to need more than a month to put something out or else I'd be using them.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
Kohdok at 9:27PM, Aug. 13, 2007
(online)
Actually, I'm using Staples for mine. I don't know how hot they are on “Standard size”, but they could do 8.5 x 11 inch stuff.

I'm using them for my prints. (59 cents a piece, Yeah Bay-bee!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
SteveMyers22 at 1:17AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
I went with Lulu, because I could do it all there tonight on the web. Gosh they're expensive though. Ah well.
rainingbells at 8:34AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
Sorry, I just read this.

I work for a print shop and in addition to more traditional machines we (I) run a “digital press” along the lines of what Comixpress runs (last I checked they used a Xerox, we use a Kodak). I've been trying to get them to open up more to on-demand, along the lines of the other companies mentioned in the thread, but I don't know off-hand what they'd quote. I haven't brought them any of my own work because, given some of the content, I've tried to keep my projects out of from my place of employment.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
SteveMyers22 at 11:45AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
Ah, damn. I wish time wasn't crunching me like this, because I'd have really liked to have waited.

I work at a printer too, but they're a large printer and I can't use them for something this small. Print on-demand sure is a wonky business, heh. Luckily when you draw the bright, colorful, kid friendly adventures of the world's friendliest super hero, you can hype your work at your workplace.

;)

But thanks for responding. Once I finish up the first 2 chapters of Superchum and get a special “bonus” chapter done just for print, I'll be looking for a printer again. For a more standard sized book.
rainingbells at 2:07PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
We're fairly large as well, but the owner maintains a smaller facility for mailing and short run material. It was the rare case of the little guy eating the big guy, as where I work use to be the extent of his company until he bought the 85-year-old printers across the street, and then pretty much everyone else in the area.

I understand crunch time, though. That last-minute con crunch has jumped me more than I can count. Now I've taken to always making sure that I have more product run than I figure I'll need for a con, and what I have as extra goes on a back stock shelf so that NEXT convention I'm not still running around the day before trying to get it all finished. But it never fails; I always have something I'm trying to get done two weeks out in hopes of being able to put one more thing on the table.

And you're welcome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
mapaghimagsik at 4:29PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
SteveMyers22
I went with Lulu, because I could do it all there tonight on the web. Gosh they're expensive though. Ah well.

At DefCon, the underground publishing forum was pretty knowledgable about Lulu. There were certainly more expensive services out there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved