Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Need Help Deciding Style
Janen at 6:03PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Hi, When I started my comic I started using only pencil for both lineart and bit of shadowing but I've noticed that color makes a lot of diference. I can only color using color pencils(as seen in the example)given I don't have the time or skills for photoshop and no volunteers. I was wondering should I color the entire pages or does the 2nd option presented look good enough(most relevant action colored).
http://www.drunkduck.com/Distant_Embrace/gfx/Sample Color.jpg
http://www.drunkduck.com/Distant_Embrace/gfx/samplebwc.gif
http://www.drunkduck.com/Distant_Embrace/gfx/samplebwcspace.gif

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
subcultured at 9:38PM, March 18, 2007
(online)
i like that one
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
Janen at 11:13AM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
Does it really take away much of the quality if I only color certain panels? I was thinking I coloring the full page only as special editions, but I also don't want to reduce the value of the comic(in case not coloring all does that).
silentkitty at 3:51PM, March 19, 2007
(offline)
To be honest, I'm not keen on the partially-colored page. It can work if done right, but the way you have it set up right now, it just looks like you didn't want to finish coloring the rest of the page. If you only want to color part of the page, you could consider coloring only characters, or only backgrounds, or only special effects, or only certain pieces of characters that you want to focus on (like their eyes, hair, etc). Just make sure you stay consistant in what you color.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
Darth Mongoose at 7:29AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
The half uncoloured page looks unfinished. Maybe if the non-coloured panels were toned it'd look more like it's an intentional styl thing, but if you literally just leave them, it does look like you just didn't bother finishing the page.
If colouring every page is taking you too long, I'd suggest toning some pages and colouring occasional important ones. I say toning, because unless you're really good at using black/white balance, you'll need some kind of shading to make your pages look good. Using just line art like that will make your comic look very flat and unfinished.
On an unrelated note, I think you should put in proper guttering between your panels, rather than just lines, it'll make the whole comic look sharper, more professional, and help distinguish the panels from each other.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
subcultured at 8:57AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
you could always use screentones
http://www.drunkduck.com/Subcultured_Tutorials/index.php?p=66017
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
Janen at 11:23AM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
Thank you all for the feedback and subcultured for the link. Most of the people I've shown the work to, mention the same factor about it looking unfinished. Darth Mongoose you mentioned something about toning, do you have any recommended software for this? I can't work on the artwork itself since I don't have access to a scanner until May, hence the appearance of full colored pages won't appear too until May if I decide to go with that option. I tried adding spaces and added the result with the other two examples.
On another matter how hard do you guys/girls think it would be for me to find a colorist given I can't offer money and I am doing this comic for the enjoyment of telling the story and drawing?
Friedenmann at 11:35AM, March 21, 2007
(online)
Answerin' the last question - since you're still not fully developed artist - it will be veeery hard. I tried to find someone for myself, but with no success.

I think your art might look better if you made gelpen outline and worked much on your colors and shadin'.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved